Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Zore posted:

Yeah its worth remembering that Literally everyone who could confirm it is a man who channels and uh already has the whole 'falling into madness' thing baked in. Or one of the vanishingly small number of women who has linked into a circle with a man before and after the cleanse and can tell the difference in Saidin.

It would take decades to fully prove it especially since it doesn't retroactively remove the damage already done so a lot of the male channelers who have already been channeling are still pretty insane or just barely holding it together and will cause more incidents over the coming years.

Sure, but Nynaeve discovered how to cure (taint-related) madness so all of it might not actually take that long to fix, at least in the general Randland portions of the continent. Shara and Seanchan will be hosed for a long time to come, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zore posted:

Yeah its worth remembering that Or one of the vanishingly small number of women who has linked into a circle with a man before and after the cleanse and can tell the difference in Saidin.

They had asked those women though, and all of them basically said "That poo poo was crazy before, I can't tell for sure now if it's ok or not." It'll probably take a few hundred years before anyone believes it really is ok.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Sure, but Nynaeve discovered how to cure (taint-related) madness so all of it might not actually take that long to fix, at least in the general Randland portions of the continent. Shara and Seanchan will be hosed for a long time to come, though.

Only in the sense that Shara and Seanchan don't have any male channelers running around and would be at a disadvantage compared to Randland, since Shara only used male channelers as breeding stock pre-Demandred and they were executed in Seanchan before they got their hands on a Band of Domination. So there wouldn't be any insane male channelers running in either place.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Only in the sense that Shara and Seanchan don't have any male channelers running around and would be at a disadvantage compared to Randland, since Shara only used male channelers as breeding stock pre-Demandred and they were executed in Seanchan before they got their hands on a Band of Domination. So there wouldn't be any insane male channelers running in either place.

Yeah, but that also means they'll keep killing/whatevering their male channelers, which means unfucking them will take even longer, because at least in Randland people have to be around the Black Tower males to get used to them. Seanchan the continent itself wouldn't know what to do with a Domination Band--not that those will help them enslave male channelers the way the a'dam does for females. The Domination Band is not a long term solution for enslaving male channelers, either, only for capturing them, because unlike the a'dam which fits a collar and leash metaphor, the Domination Band is more like chinese finger-cuffs--both ends end up being able to control the other, and both ends need to be involved in removing them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, but that also means they'll keep killing/whatevering their male channelers, which means unfucking them will take even longer, because at least in Randland people have to be around the Black Tower males to get used to them. Seanchan the continent itself wouldn't know what to do with a Domination Band--not that those will help them enslave male channelers the way the a'dam does for females. The Domination Band is not a long term solution for enslaving male channelers, either, only for capturing them, because unlike the a'dam which fits a collar and leash metaphor, the Domination Band is more like chinese finger-cuffs--both ends end up being able to control the other, and both ends need to be involved in removing them.

Hang on, shouldn't the Domination Band work great in a post Cleanse world? I thought the problem with it was that it exposed the women using it to the Taint. In other words, prolonged exposure drove you mad. But with no Taint, the Band should work as intended.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't recall them stating they go looking for male channelers with the dom band. It's just a fun relic from immediately post collapse. Madness is the tell.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

Hang on, shouldn't the Domination Band work great in a post Cleanse world? I thought the problem with it was that it exposed the women using it to the Taint. In other words, prolonged exposure drove you mad. But with no Taint, the Band should work as intended.

Nope, there are multiple flaws with the Domination Band, one is that the male can also assume control, over the long term.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yes it can be negated somewhat by having two woman in control but that brings up other problems like the two competing for control over the man.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

r/sul'dam posted:

My (150F) subs (97F, 24M) have unionized.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mark of a bad sul'dam, imo, she should be sei'mosiev.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 17, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
:sever: from the Source

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They all need to go to rehab cause every one of them goes through super bad detox when cut off. What I’m saying is the the One Power is meth.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
a great moment i forgot about

in Lord of Chaos chapter 32, when egwene gets owned by the sea folk cutting the rope ladder because they think she's trying to sneak her way on board disguised as Aiel. she gets pissed, lifts them high into the air above the water, and lets them go...and they all just tuck and dive perfectly and swim back. it reminds me of a simpsons joke

Brolander fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 18, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

then she thinks "I'll show them, I'll hang them upside down and...wait poo poo I'm like, channeling completely in the open, poo poo poo poo"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

silvergoose posted:

then she thinks "I'll show them, I'll hang them upside down and...wait poo poo I'm like, channeling completely in the open, poo poo poo poo"

yuuup and books it lol

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Nope, there are multiple flaws with the Domination Band, one is that the male can also assume control, over the long term.

Mechanics of the Dom Band under the spoilers

It's pretty strongly implied that the a'dam basically rides on linking to create a forced circle with one person completely in charge and the other not able to exit the link. The thing is if you have a link between a man and a woman, it's stated that while the woman has to initiate the link, the man has to be given control. So the mechanics of linking force control to the man, the domination band just slows it down.

I may be remembering incorrectly but the issue with 2 women wasn't that the man would eventually take control, but that control had to be shared across the women. Since the person relaying the information was a Forsaken, they would take for granted that such a situation was untenable because nobody can be trusted with power over you.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
WoTonprime posted a short video showing the heron marked sword and Rafe Judkins answered some twitter questions, nothing major but he said they're building as much practical props/sets as possible and doing stuff like having different sword fighting styles for the different cultures, which seem like good signs. Some stuff is obviously gonna be changed as they adapt the series but I have confidence it will be entertaining and true to the spirit of the books. Hopefully we actually get to see some episodes next year!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1334197665958125571?s=20

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ya know, I honestly didn't think to link to the tweet, haha. Thanks.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
more cast members revealed, for some reason i can't find a good tweet?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Have they cast Logain yet? This Brandy Rodriguez guy looks the part.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gnoman posted:

Have they cast Logain yet? This Brandy Rodriguez guy looks the part.

Logain was cast a year ago, yeah. Álvaro Morte.
https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256358470385664

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

I’m 20 chapters into the Eye of the World so far, and I love it. The attention to detail in the world-building is incredible. The Fades & Shadar Logoth were creepy as hell. Looking forward to finishing it in the next few days, and onto the Great Hunt! :D

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vavrek posted:

Logain was cast a year ago, yeah. Álvaro Morte.
https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256358470385664

It might just be that particular photo, but that man looks like he could pull of an unhinged lunatic really easy.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Loveshaft posted:

I’m 20 chapters into the Eye of the World so far, and I love it. The attention to detail in the world-building is incredible. The Fades & Shadar Logoth were creepy as hell. Looking forward to finishing it in the next few days, and onto the Great Hunt! :D

Feel welcome to post impressions as you go through, I love hearing what new readers have to say about things

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I really envy you, Loveshaft. I wish I could experience these books again. The opening trilogy is goddamned incredible.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

CainsDescendant posted:

Feel welcome to post impressions as you go through, I love hearing what new readers have to say about things

I will.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I really envy you, Loveshaft. I wish I could experience these books again. The opening trilogy is goddamned incredible.

My brother gave me the entire series on ebook for free, so I’m taking advantage of it. :smug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A magnificent gift.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Loveshaft posted:

I will.

My brother gave me the entire series on ebook for free, so I’m taking advantage of it. :smug:

Seconding the post above me. What a great gift!

The best kind of gift, a good fantasy series that's finished.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uhhhh so I'm watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix recently and I just cannot stop thinking about how much it feels like someone has already made a WoT series.

I mean — okay there's no channeling or throngs of female wizards, and it's about Anglo-Saxon/Danish politics in the 9th century, but aside from that? Uhtred seems like he could be a direct adaptation of Rand, character-wise, right down to his rising up to be a near-king in multiple kingdoms yet being so prideful he pisses everyone off, and being torn between two heritages and having all these women falling all over him and being just sooooo awesome at everything and also slowly going insane. He's even having hallucinations about long-dead characters this season

Maybe it's just tropery and the WoT show will be visually so different nobody will draw any comparisons. But I just can't help laughing as I watch

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

I just finished Chapter 26 in Eye of the World; the Fade attacking Thom Merrilin in Whitebridge :stare:. Rand and Mat are now on the run.

I’m diggin’ the Druid-type character Elyas and his pet wolves. The part where the wolves caught Egwene and Perrin lying to Elyas admittedly put a grin on my face. The Traveling People are an interesting bunch, and I hope to see more of them.

The mentions of the Logain the False Dragon among the townsfolk is interesting, and it seems like he is headed for Tar Valon as well.

The dreams with Ba’alzamon among the Emond’s Field folk were sufficiently creepy and well done. That dude sure enjoys detailing his love of suffering.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thom's muttering while he prepares to attack the fade are pretty perfect.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
They are not pets.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Poor Thom :smith:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thom was a real one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Loveshaft posted:

The dreams with Ba’alzamon among the Emond’s Field folk were sufficiently creepy and well done. That dude sure enjoys detailing his love of suffering.

There's a lot of that psychological and physical trauma to spread across every character. Think of the difference between the depiction of Frodo's burden in the books vs how much more they played it up for the movies. Rand basically katamaris around an amazing amount of emotional baggage.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rand basically katamaris around an amazing amount of emotional baggage.

God you aren't kidding. Guy didn't think his own issues were enough, so he decided to carry guilt over every woman killed even remotely related to his actions

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

One thing I hadn’t thought about or picked up on was the extent to which rands weird guilt about women dying is linked to LTT’s memories / personality bleeding through. It makes a lot more sense if you recall that the dominant memory of his past self is brutally massacring all the women (and men) in his household...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Loveshaft posted:

The way Ba'alzamon fucks with all of them individually in dreams is really some of the better done subtle characterization throughout the early books.

buffalo all day posted:

One thing I hadn’t thought about or picked up on was the extent to which rands weird guilt about women dying is linked to LTT’s memories / personality bleeding through. It makes a lot more sense if you recall that the dominant memory of his past self is brutally massacring all the women (and men) in his household...

I think this also has to do with Rand's own adherence to specific ideas of prophecy and leadership, the ones he eventually has to discard because a victory under a nihilistic, guilt-ridden Dragon is basically a victory for the Shadow.

Even though gender roles are pretty distinct in the books there's always a sense that women aren't necessarily powerless (though this varies depending on their role, their society, etc) and in the case of the Aiel for example you can even have women-led groups who fully understand the danger and brutality of the war against the Shadow and never shy away from their role in it, even if that means their death. Rand fixates on harmed or dead women (and Mat and Perrin do this as well) as vessels for the suffering and violence he assumes that he causes, rather than recognizing that they are individuals with agency that made their choice to stand with the Light and he should venerate that common ideal and bond rather than using their deaths as rationale to levy an undeserved punishment on himself for things he can't control.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thom was a real one.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've made it through the slog. There is still hope. It gets better.