Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
With Elizabeth Warren, I just have to take my lumps~

She wins in one way, she disappoints in another.

It's okay Lizzie, ily :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I need to

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lastgirl posted:

With Elizabeth Warren, I just have to take my lumps~

She wins in one way, she disappoints in another.

It's okay Lizzie, ily :h:

Reminder that in New England failing to root for the Pats, Soxs, Bruins, and under certain circumstances Celtics and Revolution can be a political death sentence.

Whether or not this ever applied to the Whalers I couldn't say, but I doubt it because we barely put up with Connecticut as it is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:patriot: This woman just keeps earning my vote

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I would have killed the resolution by slipping in language condemning their joke of a union and calling for investigations into player safety.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Guys are there any good Dems in MD? Or are we hosed by DC proximity?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zegermans posted:

She has no fundraising power if she's not going to be in an influential position to give her donors kickbacks. There's nothing singularly attractive about her to give money towards other than her corruption.

This is from some pages back, but I actually understand pretty well how Clinton looks in the eyes of many of the people who really like her. Basically, from their point of view she and her support base are reasonable/rational/pragmatic, in contrast with more leftist voters/politicians, who aren't rational/pragmatic by virtue of being emotional about things (plus the fact that there's a visible minority of legitimately dumb Sanders/etc supporters). This assumption of being smart/reasonable/pragmatic stems mostly from the fact that there's a sort of shared culture among wealthy professionals that extents to the the way people communicate and behave.

So basically it's not so much that these people are thinking "mwahaha Clinton will help make me money" (though those people probably exist to some extent), but rather that when they think of Clinton they think of a person who calmly discusses things and reminds them of their professional colleagues, while when they think of leftists they think of younger people without any professional experience and people being emotional (which is assumed to be a sign of being irrational).

Ultimately, the fact that they value their identity as an "unbiased, reasonable person" creates a blind-spot that makes them incapable of understanding the flaws with their own views.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Reminder that in New England failing to root for the Pats, Soxs, Bruins, and under certain circumstances Celtics and Revolution can be a political death sentence.

Whether or not this ever applied to the Whalers I couldn't say, but I doubt it because we barely put up with Connecticut as it is.

John Kerry regularly hosed up Red Sox players' names and he never lost an election here. Now, it could be that Liz Warren just knows what the best football team in existence is and wants to make sure it's on official record... or maybe there's a conspiracy afoot :tinfoil:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mugrim posted:

The gently caress is a fish fry?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

purge

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

loquacius posted:

John Kerry regularly hosed up Red Sox players' names and he never lost an election here. Now, it could be that Liz Warren just knows what the best football team in existence is and wants to make sure it's on official record... or maybe there's a conspiracy afoot :tinfoil:

counterpoint

martha coakley

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

This is what they were banking all of that political capital for, isn't it?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't care for sports

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Is a failure to care for sports in new England a death sentence

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zikan posted:

counterpoint

martha coakley

counter-counterpoint: Martha Coakley is Martha Coakley :colbert:

logikv9 posted:

Possibly if you are running for local-level office, but if you're just, like, a smug nerd, then not really

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

logikv9 posted:

It does if you ever want to get elected to anything, with the probability of it being so growing with proximity to Boston.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It does if you ever want to get elected to anything, with the probability of it being so growing with proximity to Boston.

I almost said the second part of this myself, but I think it actually scales more to how working-class the area your constituency lives in is

Like, being a Yankees fan would probably hurt you more with people who live in Lowell or Revere than it would with people who live in Back Bay or Kendall Square or something

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Depending on how important sports is to your job. If you work at a university you're kinda expected to care like the rest of the people.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

loquacius posted:

I almost said the second part of this myself, but I think it actually scales more to how working-class the area your constituency lives in is

Like, being a Yankees fan would probably hurt you more with people who live in Lowell or Revere than it would with people who live in Back Bay or Kendall Square or something

I was more thinking about how once you get way up into northern New England, it somehow becomes acceptable to be a fan of those goddamn dirty Habs.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

I think of a base as a traditional foundation of support, not just who likes you here and now. In NY, she dominated urban areas.

I don't think in 2008 "Rural support" was her base, I just think Obama basically took non rural areas she wanted and all she had left was rural white areas that didn't take too kindly to him.

i don't really understand this. hillary got most of her support from rural, more conservative areas in the 2008 primary. that was her base, there's no way around that. without winning rural, working class whites she had nothing. she pivoted her entire campaign in that direction. if you mean that most of her core supporters were more urban, that is generally true of most democrats - especially obama. still, in NY, hillary performed better outside urban areas than she did in urban NY. her two-way support % for counties with under 100k population averaged 68% vs. 62% for everyone else. she averaged 58.1% in the 5 boroughs alone

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

This is from some pages back, but I actually understand pretty well how Clinton looks in the eyes of many of the people who really like her. Basically, from their point of view she and her support base are reasonable/rational/pragmatic, in contrast with more leftist voters/politicians, who aren't rational/pragmatic by virtue of being emotional about things (plus the fact that there's a visible minority of legitimately dumb Sanders/etc supporters). This assumption of being smart/reasonable/pragmatic stems mostly from the fact that there's a sort of shared culture among wealthy professionals that extents to the the way people communicate and behave.

So basically it's not so much that these people are thinking "mwahaha Clinton will help make me money" (though those people probably exist to some extent), but rather that when they think of Clinton they think of a person who calmly discusses things and reminds them of their professional colleagues, while when they think of leftists they think of younger people without any professional experience and people being emotional (which is assumed to be a sign of being irrational).

Ultimately, the fact that they value their identity as an "unbiased, reasonable person" creates a blind-spot that makes them incapable of understanding the flaws with their own views.

This is bretty gud :DDD

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Buttigieg appeals to Butts of all demographics and economic backgrounds

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Concerned Citizen posted:

uh he said his job is suing wall street which would seem to imply he does not work in finance

lawyers involved in financial cases do tend to have a finance background but it's not a hard rule

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I was more thinking about how once you get way up into northern New England, it somehow becomes acceptable to be a fan of those goddamn dirty Habs.

lolHabs.

Here lie the Habs. They never scored

2/12/2017-2/12/2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Let's all get behind Buttigieg

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't really understand this. hillary got most of her support from rural, more conservative areas in the 2008 primary. that was her base, there's no way around that. without winning rural, working class whites she had nothing. she pivoted her entire campaign in that direction. if you mean that most of her core supporters were more urban, that is generally true of most democrats - especially obama. still, in NY, hillary performed better outside urban areas than she did in urban NY. her two-way support % for counties with under 100k population averaged 68% vs. 62% for everyone else. she averaged 58.1% in the 5 boroughs alone

Yeah you're totally misunderstanding what's up. Hillary's traditional base is from hyper urban areas. Obama's base was ALSO from hyper urban areas. The entire reason Clinton even had a 2006 senate campaign was to try focus on rural areas to show that she has chops in places that aren't manhattan and convince the party at large she won't just be a coastal dem. Obama's whole "Fish Fry" comment is a direct condemnation on her clear hatred of rural areas and doing the work of campaigning.

Obama excited a lot of big name big city dems way more than her and effectively coopted much of her urban base, from big hollywood names to civil rights leaders in the deep south. The book demonstrates that using David Geffen as their prominent example as he's pissed about the scandals that riddled the end of the Clinton presidency including Marc Rich as well as the general Clintonian attitude of political convenience.

A 'base' is not who happens to support you in a singular election, ie why it's called a 'base' as in a foundation. They're reliable support that you can normally count on. Seeing as how Clinton won her 2000, 2006, and 2016 primary in large part to that donor base I feel pretty comfortable saying it's her base.

Her rural campaigning in 2008 was not because her 'base' is rural, but because Obama basically coopted and shmoozed her normal support into coming to his side (because Clinton can't be bothered to do poo poo like pick up a phone to get Caroline Kennedy's endorsement), and all she kept losing by small margins and realizing that rural areas were her only edge.

Like, if rural white people were really her base, She would have won Iowa rather than coming in THIRD despite spending over 20m and being the front runner. Hell if they were her base, she never would have won a NY senate seat. Rural white people were a huge component of Edwards base, which is why a guy with almost no name recognition compared to Clinton beat her in Iowa.

mugrim has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Feb 14, 2017

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

mugrim posted:

The gently caress is a fish fry?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sorus posted:

Tom Perez was the best Labor Secretary since Frances Perkins which is part of why I'm upset he got thrown into the DNC race as an anti-Ellison.

Donna Edwards seems good too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Tom Perez was the best Labor Secretary since Frances Perkins which is part of why I'm upset he got thrown into the DNC race as an anti-Ellison.

Donna Edwards seems good too.

He he doesn't have the right experience to be a war chief and help rebuild the DNC.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah, I don't prefer him for DNC chair. I was hoping he would run for governor in Maryland

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah, I don't prefer him for DNC chair. I was hoping he would run for governor in Maryland

like Abuela he should be locked away in a safe blue district.

Not to the right material to be a wartime consigliere unlike Ellison

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Buttigieg is the only good DNC chair candidate

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Sorus posted:

I like Raskin. Cummings is ok I guess. Most everyone else seems to suck though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Ellison will golf in Florida as the world burns

Buttigieg will be on the front lines fighting for what is right

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

Yeah you're totally misunderstanding what's up. Hillary's traditional base is from hyper urban areas. Obama's base was ALSO from hyper urban areas. The entire reason Clinton even had a 2006 senate campaign was to try focus on rural areas to show that she has chops in places that aren't manhattan and convince the party at large she won't just be a coastal dem. Obama's whole "Fish Fry" comment is a direct condemnation on her clear hatred of rural areas and doing the work of campaigning.

Obama excited a lot of big name big city dems way more than her and effectively coopted much of her urban base, from big hollywood names to civil rights leaders in the deep south. The book demonstrates that using David Geffen as their prominent example as he's pissed about the scandals that riddled the end of the Clinton presidency including Marc Rich as well as the general Clintonian attitude of political convenience.

A 'base' is not who happens to support you in a singular election, ie why it's called a 'base' as in a foundation. They're reliable support that you can normally count on. Seeing as how Clinton won her 2000, 2006, and 2016 primary in large part to that donor base I feel pretty comfortable saying it's her base.

Her rural campaigning in 2008 was not because her 'base' is rural, but because Obama basically coopted and shmoozed her normal support into coming to his side (because Clinton can't be bothered to do poo poo like pick up a phone to get Caroline Kennedy's endorsement), and all she kept losing by small margins and realizing that rural areas were her only edge.

Like, if rural white people were really her base, She would have won Iowa rather than coming in THIRD despite spending over 20m and being the front runner. Hell if they were her base, she never would have won a NY senate seat. Rural white people were a huge component of Edwards base, which is why a guy with almost no name recognition compared to Clinton beat her in Iowa.

well, first, i had to lol @ obama's fish fry comment because quite frankly, he doesn't remember his own campaign well. for a primary, you need to scrounge up every vote you can everywhere you can. going to rural areas is valuable for that. but for a national, general election, presidential candidates don't usually go to fish frys. they do big rallies and fundraisers. an evening spent with 100 voters who aren't giving you money is an evening wasted when you only have 90 of them left. if you're a democrat, that's even more true. obama's 2008 general election was spectacle after spectacle, massive rally after massive rally. and 2012 was even moreso, since he also had to do the whole "being president" thing at the same time and wasn't going to spend time fish frying it up.

as for bases - there's no such thing as a base outside the context of a singular election. there's no pile of demos that are hyper-hillary fans and will support her by default. base is as much a product of the cycle & context as it is the candidate. you can't divorce the two. in general elections, you have hardcore dems and hardcore republicans and they make up the respective bases for either party's candidate, regardless of who those candidates are. in primaries, they're extremely fluid and change cycle to cycle. hillary's 2008 base was very different from her 2016 base. romney's 2008 base was different from his 2012 base. your definition isn't predictive, nor does it really clearly define any segment of the population.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Feb 14, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Manchin voted to confirm Mnuchin reflecting his electorate's favorable view of Wall Street parasites.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Buttigieg reminds me of pre-president Obama, we all see how well that turned out.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apparently a few GOP senators might join Dems to block Puzder

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol

https://twitter.com/nickochsnerwbtv/status/831284929392689152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!