Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Apparently a few GOP senators might join Dems to block Puzder

Oh heavens, Pence might have to break a tie again and a couple of Republicans get to pretend to be rebels when they're up for re-election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

This is like, actual political suicide

I'm waiting for something to happen because it seems more like nobody knows (not even the Republicans lol)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Puzder has this thing where his wife went on Oprah to anonymously tell the world that she was beaten by him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

docbeard posted:

Oh heavens, Pence might have to break a tie again and a couple of Republicans get to pretend to be rebels when they're up for re-election.

Probably. But Isakson and Scott are undecided, not just the usual suspects.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anyone watching the Chuck Schumer conference

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
nah how is it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MEH MEH MEH, I'M TRUDI BEAKMAN CHUCK SCHUMER

(I am not watching it)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hi democrat thread

i have questions

whats Pete Buttigieg's stance on lemon bars

cookies or no?

thanks in advance

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

hi democrat thread

i have questions

cookies or no?

thanks in advance

(finger hovers ominously over the probation button)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

Here's a question for the Bernie would have won folks: if Hillary won Pennsylvania (+12) and Ohio (+13) in the primaries, and Bernie won Michigan in a squeaker (+1.5), why would Bernie have won all those states in the general?

For the same reason that Barack Obama lost Ohio and Pennsylvania in 2008's primaries, yet won them in the general. Primary success is a bad indicator of general success.

docbeard posted:

Four Republicans have broken ranks this time, so if the Dems stay solvent, there won't be a tie.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Feb 14, 2017

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying watching California Trumpers getting owned by God's Wrath and Trumpers in other states making GBS threads on them lmao.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Concerned Citizen posted:

as for bases - there's no such thing as a base outside the context of a singular election.

quote:

In politics, the term base refers to a group of voters who almost always support a single party's candidates for elected office. Base voters are very unlikely to vote for the candidate of an opposing party, regardless of the specific views each candidate holds. In the United States, this is typically because high-level candidates must hold the same stances on key issues as a party's base in order to gain the party's nomination and thus be guaranteed ballot access. In the case of legislative elections, base voters often prefer to support their party's candidate against an otherwise appealing opponent in order to strengthen their party's chances of gaining a simple majority, typically the gateway to overarching power, in a legislature.

I have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

mugrim posted:

It's ok, neither do they.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

mugrim posted:

this doesn't mean anything regarding primaries

also if that is your argument then pretty much no Democrat in recent memory has had rural voters as their base. The closest recent example who did was...hillary clinton in 2008, per that poll i pasted earlier.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

how does a wikipedia article about "base," which literally refers to a party's base, relate at all to a candidate's base as it applies to primary elections? like, if we're talking about "hillary's base" that means something very, very different from "the democratic party's base."

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Feb 14, 2017

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

truly a staggering question. perhaps you should ask ada

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As the butt is the base of the man, so the Buttigieg is the base of the party.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

This is like, actual political suicide

I'm waiting for something to happen because it seems more like nobody knows (not even the Republicans lol)

it's kind of a meaningless eo since it's not being enforced, but for appearance's sake it'd be a good idea to rescind it

cooper's one of the few dems you should probably give the benefit of the doubt to though

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Buttigieg is my base.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

Buttigieg is my base.

just so long as it has a flared end for safety

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hillary's base is highly compensated DNC political consults and wall street bankers.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

how does a wikipedia article about "base," which literally refers to a party's base, relate at all to a candidate's base as it applies to primary elections? like, if we're talking about "hillary's base" that means something very, very different from "the democratic party's base."
I think the takeaway shouldn't be that there's a misunderstanding on what base is
It's more of a misunderstanding on what they consider the bases to be, which the establishment was Hillary's base.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lastgirl posted:

hi democrat thread

i have questions

cookies or no?

thanks in advance

Lemon Bars are yummy, and I don't really see the need to categorize them based on arbitrary criteria, Hope this Helps!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Would Buttigieg use the butting edge of technology to free matey from the phantom zone?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

Would Buttigieg use the butting edge of technology to free matey from the phantom zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-1I1z0Lz0Q

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

buttgeg shoutout on jimmy dore lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkX56YPaEz0&t=1130s

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/dkendorsesjonossoff?refcode=fs20170126endorsement&tandembox=show

uh so daily kos just raised an absolute gently caress ton of money for the ga congressional special election. $572k as of this moment

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

I've listened to Dore for a long long time, and he's a smug face made for radio.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

:smugdore:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/02/trump-gop-democrats-protests-marches-social-movement/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

holy gently caress what

this guy is officially persona non grata

holy poo poo I am steamed

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
boot edge edge

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
*Clears throat*
Primary All Democrats.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/dkendorsesjonossoff?refcode=fs20170126endorsement&tandembox=show

uh so daily kos just raised an absolute gently caress ton of money for the ga congressional special election. $572k as of this moment

holy hell. what catalyzed the special election there anyway?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agean90 posted:

holy hell. what catalyzed the special election there anyway?

Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) elevated to HHS

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Lemon Bars are yummy, and I don't really see the need to categorize them based on arbitrary criteria, Hope this Helps!

this is insane. theres no goddamn 'yummy' section at the grocery store. if they're a cookie, you put them in with the cookies so customers can find them. if they are something else, you put them with that something else. every food needs to be categorized so people know what it is and where to get it

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

what does buttigieg think of lemon bars

this is critical information right loving here

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

this is insane. theres no goddamn 'yummy' section at the grocery store. if they're a cookie, you put them in with the cookies so customers can find them. if they are something else, you put them with that something else. every food needs to be categorized so people know what it is and where to get it

Aren't they technically a cake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Ytlaya posted:

This is from some pages back, but I actually understand pretty well how Clinton looks in the eyes of many of the people who really like her. Basically, from their point of view she and her support base are reasonable/rational/pragmatic, in contrast with more leftist voters/politicians, who aren't rational/pragmatic by virtue of being emotional about things (plus the fact that there's a visible minority of legitimately dumb Sanders/etc supporters). This assumption of being smart/reasonable/pragmatic stems mostly from the fact that there's a sort of shared culture among wealthy professionals that extents to the the way people communicate and behave.

So basically it's not so much that these people are thinking "mwahaha Clinton will help make me money" (though those people probably exist to some extent), but rather that when they think of Clinton they think of a person who calmly discusses things and reminds them of their professional colleagues, while when they think of leftists they think of younger people without any professional experience and people being emotional (which is assumed to be a sign of being irrational).

Ultimately, the fact that they value their identity as an "unbiased, reasonable person" creates a blind-spot that makes them incapable of understanding the flaws with their own views.

I think you briefly touched upon the Halo effect.

• Locked thread