Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Congratulations to those who have reached that level of zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Depends on the car

Idgaf and eat in my tupperware interior truck, but if I owned something nice I'd care more about keeping it nice

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't get eating in a car unless you work in it or something, I just wait until I get home or stop somewhere. Eating in a car is a pain in the rear end, I'll sit at a table thank you :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Much like how cars are meant to be driven, cup holders are meant to be filled and seats are meant to be farted in.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I thought there were a lot of no-eating-in-my-car people but maybe not!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
E: nevermind

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 16, 2019

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

New car question: which sub-$30k cars offer good low-speed adaptive cruise control?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Guinness posted:

The worst part about frameless windows is your dumb friends that close the door by pushing on the glass instead of the door itself.

Actually the worst part of frameless windows is having to adjust them to fit properly after replacing a regulator or whatever

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dadliest Worrier posted:

New car question: which sub-$30k cars offer good low-speed adaptive cruise control?

New hondas. Better yet they're supported by Comma AI for tesla level self driving: https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/blob/release2/README.md#supported-cars

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Just test drove this: http://www.volvocarsseattle.com/new/Volvo/2019-Volvo-V60-seattle-wa-0d9475680a0e0ae70dfafc7f0e5fd410.htm

Luxurious cruise missile. Although the youtubers are right, it's shockingly bumpy over bad pavement and I'm betting that sport chassis option didn't help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Oldest Man posted:

Just test drove this: http://www.volvocarsseattle.com/new/Volvo/2019-Volvo-V60-seattle-wa-0d9475680a0e0ae70dfafc7f0e5fd410.htm

Luxurious cruise missile. Although the youtubers are right, it's shockingly bumpy over bad pavement and I'm betting that sport chassis option didn't help.

i have a hard time convincing myself that the V60 is $20,000 more car than a fully loaded Regal TourX

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fayez Butts posted:

New hondas. Better yet they're supported by Comma AI for tesla level self driving: https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/blob/release2/README.md#supported-cars

Putting your life in geohot's hands sounds like a great idea.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i have a hard time convincing myself that the V60 is $20,000 more car than a fully loaded Regal TourX

I think if you stick with the base engine with similar hp and avoid all the options on that one ($3200 stereo, $2500 cameras n autopilot, $1200 factory tune) that the Buick doesn't offer, the Volvo is only a couple thousand more. GM incentives tho...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Something Offal posted:

IMHO consistently eating in a car is one of the most common causes for used cars seeming 'old' or 'tired' because my theory is there's a ton of crap in tiny spots that will never, ever be cleaned until the car is scrapped.

Eh, no, not really.

I keep my car interiors spotless to the point where the insurance adjuster questioned whether I ever actually drove the thing when my last car was totaled, and I let people eat in my car all the time. Most people are careful so it's not like stuff is getting spilled everywhere, but if it happens then whatever.

The key to keeping a car's interior looking fresh is to just... clean it. Like, regularly clean it. If you don't, then it's going to feel worn out and old whether you eat in it or not. "Old" feeling interiors happen because dirt is left to sit on carpets and seats and it gets ground in through use.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

With the corollary that for $10K more you can get a Mercedes E-class wagon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EnergizerFellow posted:

With the corollary that for $10K more you can get a Mercedes E-class wagon.

while this is true, it is pretty stripped out at $65K.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Maybe we should just agree that "$10k more car" is meaningless since no one will ever agree to the value. I think the interior quality of the Volvo alone is worth $10k over the GM penalty box but if you're looking at cargo volume primarily then what do you care about that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its hilarious when you can tell someone has never driven a specific car

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Buick is more likely to actually work when you need it to

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those Buicks actually look good and if I totaled my GTI tomorrow they’d be high up my list.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

The Buick is more likely to actually work when you need it to

Are talkimg about the same Opel sourced Buick the ZB Commodore is based on that has developed a reputation for not working?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yes, the same one that in the US has no issues.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's a good car, really. I'm actively shopping for one, but I'm still waiting for just the right deal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At least locally (US) they're going for 16-18% OFF right now. 20% off may be possible if you find a leftover 2018.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just priced one and lol they really don’t want you to buy the base. 3 colors and no options available.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Those Buicks actually look good and if I totaled my GTI tomorrow they’d be high up my list.

I test drove one of the Buick Regal wagons recently. It was a very nice looking red. I regret to say that it really didn't drive as well as I'd hoped. The transmission was fairly infuriating and the steering was numb. I mean, it's a Buick, so I kind of expected that, but I was hoping for maybe something I could tolerate because I really like the car otherwise. The interior was a pretty nice place to be although the infotainment was really slow. After I shifted into drive, the backup camera stayed on for a full five seconds (although maybe it's supposed to for some reason?).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mazda, as is tradition, is a faint beacon of hope amongst new cars:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121372_why-mazda-is-purging-touchscreens-from-its-vehicles

quote:

Tablet-like touchscreens have become the ubiquitous interfaces of choice, and they’re seemingly everywhere in daily life, on everything from thermostats to coffee makers and refrigerators. But Mazda really doesn’t think they belong in cars—or at least anywhere near the driver’s seat.

I really hope this common sense thinking catches on, but the trend doesn’t seem to be slowing down in the industry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

finally saw one of these IRL and they look extremely bad with this trim level...i know we like to laugh at black plastic cladding on all the SUVs around the wheels and bumpers...but what if we painted it and the roof black :suicide:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Remember when the RAV4 looked like it might actually be able to go off road?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I saw one in a flatish grey and it looked pretty dece, plus all of the goodness of Toyota's hybrid system. Very practical.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i dont really have a problem with the rav4 just lmao at that contrasting glossy black paint in the area it's most likely to get scratched up

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Guinness posted:

Mazda, as is tradition, is a faint beacon of hope amongst new cars:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121372_why-mazda-is-purging-touchscreens-from-its-vehicles

I really hope this common sense thinking catches on, but the trend doesn’t seem to be slowing down in the industry.

*reads post*

*looks at 12" screen in his truck*

I agree with this post, these things are getting out of hand.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CornHolio posted:

I test drove one of the Buick Regal wagons recently. It was a very nice looking red. I regret to say that it really didn't drive as well as I'd hoped. The transmission was fairly infuriating and the steering was numb. I mean, it's a Buick, so I kind of expected that, but I was hoping for maybe something I could tolerate because I really like the car otherwise. The interior was a pretty nice place to be although the infotainment was really slow. After I shifted into drive, the backup camera stayed on for a full five seconds (although maybe it's supposed to for some reason?).

My work car is an Impala, and I'm pretty sure it's the same unit as the Buick. Yes, it's slow. Yes, it's clunky. But it is reliable.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ornamented Death posted:

*reads post*

*looks at 12" screen in his truck*

I agree with this post, these things are getting out of hand.

It's so stupid and it isn't stopping anytime soon. Looking at the 2020 Explorer ST and my wife hates the giant stuck on iPad that's part of the tech package. The 8" standard screen isn't much better. It's more of a choice of do you like your tablet horizontal or vertical.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I drove a Cruze loaner with 1000kms on it, so basically brand new.

-There's only 1 knob for volume, so to change channel on the radio you had to use the touchscreen which suuuuuuuucked
-The glossy black plastics already looked dirty and scratched
-I had to take my shoes off to drive or i would hit the brake and gas at the same time
-Engine sucked
-Transmission raced to the highest gear it could, and there was a huge delay in downshifting/accelerating when you mashed the pedal
-There was an indent in the gas pedal, so the pedal only goes 75% of the way down before there's a gate you have to push through to get 100%, even though
-5% throttle pedal was 95% throttle

Touchscreens are dumb and need to die. I want to be able to choose my own throttle curve.

My 540i's throttle felt almost linear, and getting back into it after driving a newer car, it felt almost like there was resistance in the drivetrain or something, so i can see why they program 90% throttle at 5% pedal to make vehicles feel quicker than they are, but once they've already sold it, i want to be able to gently accelerate without trying to adjust my foot the millimeter between 30% throttle and 40% throttle. Like TVs have "retail mode' with everything cranked up to max, but when you calibrate it.

In conclusion, down with touchscreens and aggressive pedal curves.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BraveUlysses posted:

finally saw one of these IRL and they look extremely bad with this trim level...i know we like to laugh at black plastic cladding on all the SUVs around the wheels and bumpers...but what if we painted it and the roof black :suicide:

Well they've done it again. The stepped arches look super loving weird. Also there's lines that come off the front one backwards, off the back arch forwards, that leads up into the rear door, around the top of the rear door handle and then into the shoulder line. Meanwhile UNDER the rear door handle there's another crease which awkwardly pitches up into the line from the front arch in front of the rear door handle. The back end of that under handle line goes into the rear quarter, into the petrol flap and then in the middle of this turns into an abtuse angle upwards where it ends up as part of the roofline.

I do genuinely wonder if Toyota's 3D modeling software is broken or they've not paid for the full version because their recent cars are all full of lines that don't flow very well in the context of the final design. I can see a general idea of what it should look like but when you add door lines, lights and such it breaks it all up and the design falls to bits.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Powershift posted:

-I had to take my shoes off to drive or i would hit the brake and gas at the same time

lol what?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Says forums poster Jiminy Christmas Shoes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wear size 17 shoes :(

They don't fit in between the brake pedal and the center console, which is dumb because it's not like there's a transmission hump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I don’t want to sound rude but with feet that big I’m sure there’s a lot of footwells that are too small for your shoes. I can’t think of a single OEM that caters to the 100th percentile.