Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe? From what I've read it's an unbelievably gorgeous but completely linear experience with a bunch of quality-of-life issues and combat that breaks down in the presence of multiple enemies. It's really not Dead Space at all once you get past "is in space" and "there are gross zombies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's been a whole lot of discussion in the horror games thread ranging from "garbage" to "pretty good", the distribution seems skewed towards the worse end though. I had bad lag on the PC version and refunded it before knowing a release day patch was coming out, I'm just gonna wait for a price drop to check it out given the range of reviews.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gorgeous seems very generous. I really hated my time with it, but I've got a friend who loves it, so I'm gonna split the difference and say if you're at all curious, still wait until it drops to 20 bucks or less.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is just kind of a mess. It both does and doesn't want to be Dead Space and the end result is that it is nothing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crowetron posted:

Gorgeous seems very generous

Digital Foundry posted a positively glowing video about its ray tracing and character models. It's probably the best-looking realistically styled game out right now, at least on PS5 where it doesn't have severe performance issues

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

haveblue posted:

Digital Foundry posted a positively glowing video about its ray tracing and character models. It's probably the best-looking realistically styled game out right now, at least on PS5 where it doesn't have severe performance issues

The art direction is boring, is what I meant. I'm not a technically inclined kinda guy, so stuff like that kinda flies over my head while I'm looking for cool-looking monsters or neat colors.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Every criticism of Callisto is completely valid but I am enjoying it. I'm a sucker for this kind of sci-fi stuff.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Beastie posted:

Every criticism of Callisto is completely valid but I am enjoying it. I'm a sucker for this kind of sci-fi stuff.

:same: Once I accepted its not Dead Space 4 and got a hang of the Punch Out/The Immortal combat, I'm having fun. Except for that early game inventory limit, yuk.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

haveblue posted:

How did Digital Foundry of all places have a 'glowing' video about a game with performance problems that colossal? Those guys make a living out of eviscerating games for minor framerate issues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

How did Digital Foundry of all places have a 'glowing' video about a game with performance problems that colossal? Those guys make a living out of eviscerating games for minor framerate issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psetdjz01mI

The PS5 version is pretty much flawless, and it's the one he drooled over the most. The PC version runs like trash, but he's confident he knows what the problem is and that it's a simple fix they'll get out quickly

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having a game so ruthlessly linear to the point you can't backtrack one room behind feels like a relic of the early seventh-gen. It's why I never bothered with works like Singularity.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

haveblue posted:

The PC version runs like trash, but he's confident he knows what the problem is and that it's a simple fix they'll get out quickly

Sure enough, https://kotaku.com/callisto-protocol-steam-ps5-bugs-glen-schofield-twitter-1849859440

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having a game so ruthlessly linear to the point you can't backtrack one room behind feels like a relic of the early seventh-gen. It's why I never bothered with works like Singularity.

tbf I do like a nice, linear tightly plotted game, but that does seem a little excessive yeah

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I backtracked a couple times to a previous store so I'm not sure what that complaint is about, usually you can't return to previous rooms in the middle of a chapter because An Elevator Shaft collapsed when you got on it or something. Seems pretty standard for gaming to me.

The gameplay of Callisto is awesome, they give you several ways to mitigate having multiple threats in an encounter including the ability to pick em up and toss them at each other and then just run up and pick one to focus on.

It is NOT a game where you must only wait for enemies to run straight at you and then ADADAD till it's your turn and that's great! You have a Power Attack that knocks away even the strongest enemies several feet for breathing room. You can't heal in combat but stomping on a corpse will drop healing gel so you're encouraged to be very aggressive. There is no timing to the Dodge and you can just hold a direction as an enemy comes at you for fun cinematic flair and poo poo. They give you one tool at a time and the way your move set organically opens up without really unlocking much new is great. I got one new tool and 20 ways to use it immediately! Several times I thought independently of an advantageous way to use my moves to get out of sticky situations. I've escaped grabs by just shooting the bastard before it reached me.

A lot of the complaints I've seen seem to stem from folks just reading the tutorials and they go in one ear and out the other. Reviewers cherry picking some of the most linear sequences etc.

Genuinely give it a chance. It absolutely deserves one.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Dec 7, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For example, play Callisto like Resident Evil 4 exactly and it still works. Shoot enemies in the knees until they hobble and then run straight up to the bastard and suplex his rear end. Got an enemy with ranged projectiles? Pick one up out of the air and throw it back at him or just pick the bastard up and draw him to you so you can beat on him. The possibilities are just all over the game waiting for you to think of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

For example, play Callisto like Resident Evil 4 exactly and it still works. Shoot enemies in the knees until they hobble and then run straight up to the bastard and suplex his rear end. Got an enemy with ranged projectiles? Pick one up out of the air and throw it back at him or just pick the bastard up and draw him to you so you can beat on him. The possibilities are just all over the game waiting for you to think of them.

The dodge is one of my big problems. It isn't that it doesn't work it is that it feels bad and awkward. It brings to mind stuff like REvelation's dodge where even if it functions well it feels like crap.

I get what they are going for but I never enjoyed it. It lacks the simplicity of a RE4 but the combat system doesnt feel good and natural enough to force myself through the boring bits like RE6.

I *hate* the 'just hold a direction' thing. I wouldn't even mind a 'hold button to enter dodge mode and then you can weave' design.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Dec 7, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The dodge is one of my big problems. It isn't that it doesn't work it is that it feels bad and awkward. It brings to mind stuff like REvelation's dodge where even if it functions well it feels like crap.

I get what they are going for but I never enjoyed it. It lacks the simplicity of a RE4 but the combat system doesnt feel good and natural enough to force myself through the boring bits like RE6.

The dodge was my big problem, too. It feels so bad to execute that even taking out an enemy without taking a hit felt just as frustrating and tedious to me as getting killed by him.

Anyway, this is the praising things thread and I just wanted to give a shout-out to the merchant in Dark Souls 2 that screams "FEEBLE CURSED ONE!" at me every time whether I buy something or not. I have no idea how I forgot about him, he's wonderful.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Crowetron posted:

Anyway, this is the praising things thread and I just wanted to give a shout-out to the merchant in Dark Souls 2 that screams "FEEBLE CURSED ONE!" at me every time whether I buy something or not. I have no idea how I forgot about him, he's wonderful.

He also stands in the same room as six kamikaze mummies, making him easy to hit by mistake.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Dark Souls 2 has perhaps the best NPCs in the series in terms of pure fun value. I love the ladder vendor that gives you one too short to save you from the fall afterwards if you cheap out.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He also stands in the same room as six kamikaze mummies, making him easy to hit by mistake.

That part I did remember, but there's also a bonfire right there so I just took the ten minutes to wipeout the mummy respawns because I'm not making that mistake again.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls 2 has perhaps the best NPCs in the series in terms of pure fun value. I love the ladder vendor that gives you one too short to save you from the fall afterwards if you cheap out.

Chloanne owned. Gilligan owned. The weird talking head whose body tries to murder you down near Freija owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So Midnight Suns (the Marvel game by the XCOM guys) is a shockingly delightful game, but one of my favorite bits of it is how it works character personalities into the card design.

Take Tony Stark for example. He's Iron Man.you know exactly what his deal is. He's arrogant and self-aggrandizing and likesto steal the show. So his card deck represents that. He both builds and spends Heroism (one of the game's primary resources) very quickly. More interesting though is that you have the ability to redraw your hand several times per turn. A lot of Tony's cards however won't let you redraw them, instead you can Redraw to make them more powerful. Basically Tony isn't going to let someone else shine if he can avoid it, which reflects in the gameplay. However as you progress and unlock team-up attacks with him, his special team up bonus is that redrawing reduces the heroism cost of his cards, showing he's willing to at least share the spotlight instead of demanding it all for himself.

In comparison Spider-Man is basically a human pinball. All of his moves revolve around either repositioning enemies or by moving around the environment so he can drop telephone poles at people and such. He's excellent at building Heroism and in terms of resources he uses far less than anyone else, because in the game Peter is still a novice street level hero who wandered into a giant apocalypse situation.

Even the tanks play significantly differently and in cool ways. Captain America shields himself and others and is largely built around drawing attention so he can soak it with shield damage, as well as use his shields as a resource to deal big damage. Wolverine on the other hand just has tons of regen, lifesteal, and he draws enemy aggro by being able to slash multiple enemies at once or by focusing one enemy instead for bigger damage. And if he takes too much damage and goes down he can just heal himself and get right back up. Captain Marvel on the other hand can build up her Binary meter, which gives her a huge amount of shields and a massive damage increase, but is lost if she takes too much damage with it active, so saving Binary for the right moment lets you turn her from damage-soaking to shooting giant fuckoff laser beams.

It's a shockingly good game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Diluvion has a lot of jank to it, but man does it do atmosphere. I especially love how sonar works when you're really deep.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonar's about the same in Subnautica and definitely has that same vibe when you see something moving.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Doubly fun since about the only way to tell when it's that dark whether you found a shipwreck to loot or a battlecrab about to attack is whether it starts moving when you get close. :v:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The original subnautica was so goddamned terrifying. It’s the first video game I’ve ever played where I said “nope” and just turned it off like an hour in after I decided to try to go exploring underneath the ship wreckage and a horrible shrieking fish monster the size of a city bus came hurtling out of the gloom and nearly made me piss myself. The worst part is that you can hear it roaring in the distance when it spots you but you can’t loving see it until it’s far too late.

That weird feeling of vulnerability you get from floating in deep water combined with the knowledge that everything is alien and weird and your utter lack of mobility near the start of the game was just pure blind terror for me. It was better once I got the mini-sub/big sub but that game gets an A++ for atmosphere.

I think this thread actually got me to pick it up and keep playing after I quit and it was absolutely worth it. Putting “that area” right near the start of the game really hammers home “you aren’t safe here” and had me jumping at shadows for the rest of the game. Brilliant piece of game design

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

The original subnautica was so goddamned terrifying. It’s the first video game I’ve ever played where I said “nope” and just turned it off like an hour in after I decided to try to go exploring underneath the ship wreckage and a horrible shrieking fish monster the size of a city bus came hurtling out of the gloom and nearly made me piss myself. The worst part is that you can hear it roaring in the distance when it spots you but you can’t loving see it until it’s far too late.

I'm still salty years later after picking up Subnautica solely on account of goons talking about stuff like this, only to quit it shortly after realizing it was all that but also a resource collection/crafting game. I know, it's 100% my fault for not researching further, I just keep thinking about the terrifying underwater adventure I envisioned that had nothing to do with all that other stuff :sigh:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still salty years later after picking up Subnautica solely on account of goons talking about stuff like this, only to quit it shortly after realizing it was all that but also a resource collection/crafting game. I know, it's 100% my fault for not researching further, I just keep thinking about the terrifying underwater adventure I envisioned that had nothing to do with all that other stuff :sigh:

Well it scared the poo poo outta me. I loved the weird alien environs and your total inability to meaningfully defend yourself (more or less). I guess I never had played a “resource crafting game” before?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Frank Frank posted:

Well it scared the poo poo outta me. I loved the weird alien environs and your total inability to meaningfully defend yourself (more or less). I guess I never had played a “resource crafting game” before?

There's a ton of different survival-crafting games of greater or lesser degrees of polish. Typically, you get dumped into some hostile environment, have to scrounge materials with your hands, use those materials to make a home and better tools, use the tools to get access to better materials, etc. etc. etc. and gradually you explore the environment and learn what the heck is going on. It's a formula, but you can do a lot within that formula -- just like "Metroidvania" is a formula that leads to a very wide range of types of game.

That said, if you're not big on the formula, then you have no real reason to investigate even the most-acclaimed examples.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't think that was a flaw on the game's part, the crafting side just isn't really a genre I love and it was a disappointing surprise to find out about it after starting the game rather than having read about it before getting excited to try it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think that was a flaw on the game's part, the crafting side just isn't really a genre I love and it was a disappointing surprise to find out about it after starting the game rather than having read about it before getting excited to try it.

The underwater adventure is there, the crafting side is more about preparing for it as best you can.

And hoping it's enough as you descend deeper into the unknowns of the ocean.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In God of War there's a part where Kratos pets a dog.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

Diluvion has a lot of jank to it, but man does it do atmosphere. I especially love how sonar works when you're really deep.

https://imgur.com/8CTH1Vp

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
One of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet's towns is big on its ceramics and pottery, for reasons I can't entirely figure out. But I do love the ceramic tile murals they have on the path up to the town's local battle arena! (it's in the back end of the gyms fiddiculty-wise, so spoiler-tagging)

They actually have displays for every single original Red/Blue overworld Pokemon sprite. It's absolutely adorable, and I especially love that it's even using the lovely two-tone color scheme of the original menus and the completely nonsensical outline shading on the fish.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Dec 7, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frank Frank posted:

That weird feeling of vulnerability you get from floating in deep water combined with the knowledge that everything is alien and weird and your utter lack of mobility near the start of the game was just pure blind terror for me. It was better once I got the mini-sub/big sub but that game gets an A++ for atmosphere.

I think this thread actually got me to pick it up and keep playing after I quit and it was absolutely worth it. Putting “that area” right near the start of the game really hammers home “you aren’t safe here” and had me jumping at shadows for the rest of the game. Brilliant piece of game design

If you manage to scan that particular thing one way or another, you learn a fun fact: the roar is a form of sonar- if you can hear it, it knows where you are. Also, climbing out of the water doesn't necessarily protect you, as it can and will leap out of the water towards you.

Also that they committed to you not really having any real weapons, it doesn't go all Monster Hunter- threats remain threats for pretty much the entire game, you have to learn to work around them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cythereal posted:

First ping I'm like 'haha submarine funny'

Then the second ping I'm like 'oh this is a horror game, got it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitfox88 posted:

First ping I'm like 'haha submarine funny'

Then the second ping I'm like 'oh this is a horror game, got it.

The game's mood so far is bleak but hopeful. If things continue the way they are, humanity probably is going to die out. Not in any great single cataclysm, but the long, slow death in the cold and dark. There is, according to the old legends, one thing that might save humanity. But every ship that's gone looking for it has never been heard from again. To find it and save mankind, if the legends are true, will require one of the most powerful submarines ever built, with a brave and talented crew of the best humanity has, under the command of a captain of the greatest skill and leadership one can muster, a captain entirely without fear.

Hopefully, that captain is you. If you're up to the challenge.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Just started playing Return to Monkey Island, and I love it. So much nostalgia for those LucasArts adventure games. I laughed when I was able to browbeat the guy in the Scumm Bar into telling me about Loom again and got an achievement for it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I beat the main campaign for Spider-Man 2018 again, and thinking through all the various boss fights, the Vulture & Electro one really stands out. The developers did some fun stuff with multiple simultaneous bosses, but this one turns out to be neat because they're both airborne. You get to switch back and forth between dodging and attacking both of them, but it's all in a central space that's designed around you being able to stay airborne for minutes on end as you get through everything. I think it really shows off their concept of agile, fluid movement the best compared to other fights that often have you on the ground much of the time, it's just a blast to play through.

The best spider man boss fight is still Mysterio in the Convenience store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm weirdly reminded of way back in the 90s there was a submarine game where the premise is you play a member of a species of tiny people, and your home is destroyed by a casually tossed drink can.