Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Using recruitable aliens in the photobooth can have some amusing results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Pectoid

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Stefan Prodan posted:

xcom ww2 aka silent storm was fun someone should do that again

I really do miss levelling entire buildings with heavy machine gun fire.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Windows update broke Enemy Within and I am baffled as to how this happened.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Deuce posted:

Windows update broke Enemy Within and I am baffled as to how this happened.

Goddamn EXALT covert infiltrators! :blastu:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Having just put 150+ hours into Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and now playing Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (which is better than I thought), I'm apparently just on a huge Turn Based Strategy game kick. I bought XCOM 2 last year, but it barely ran on my lovely laptop so I returned it. I want to give it a go, and I see that it is available on both Playstation and Switch. I have a PS5 and a Switch, and I was wondering which the thread would recommend out of the two?

All things being equal, I would prefer to get it on the Switch since Turn Based Strategy games are perfect for mobile gaming. However, if the Switch port has any problems with running the game, or looks significantly worse, I'd rather do it on Playstation. I'm basically home all the time because pandemic, but even being able to play games on the Switch laying in my bed is pretty great.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Both platforms are fine, but if you care about frame rate and such go for the PS5 version. On switch it drops fps sometimes and the graphics are a bit downgraded compared to PS5.
Here's some side by sides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKjwsSxXvE

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It also looks like the Switch version comes with “War of the Chosen”, but on PS4 it’s currently $60 for base game and $40 for the expansion. I could probably go to GameStop and get the switch one for $20.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will note, if possible, I would recommend it on the PC over any console ports, simply for the fact of having access to mods and the Steam Workshop. Mods can add thousands of hours of replayability to the game.

But if that's simply not an option, it sounds like it comes down to quality or cost, Playstation or Switch. I'll mirror Sam's suggestion and say that if you care about graphical quality, go for the playstation; I haven't heard good things about the Switch Port, to be perfectly honest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will note, if possible, I would recommend it on the PC over any console ports, simply for the fact of having access to mods and the Steam Workshop. Mods can add thousands of hours of replayability to the game.

But if that's simply not an option, it sounds like it comes down to quality or cost, Playstation or Switch. I'll mirror Sam's suggestion and say that if you care about graphical quality, go for the playstation; I haven't heard good things about the Switch Port, to be perfectly honest.

I have it on PS4 and Switch. The switch is definitely a graphical downgrade, but being able to play it on the go is nice.

Initially on the Switch there was a pretty bad spawning bug for the nodes in the psionic transmitter missions, but there was a patch that improved that.

There's some sort of issue when playing ironman games on the switch port which can lock up the game and eat the save.

Also when you get to a high mission count, it takes some time to load, but I recall that also happening in the PS4 version.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think I’ll go with Switch. I don’t really mind the graphical downgrade, and it’s currently $20 on Amazon for all DLC.

Reviews online seem to suggest just playing WOTC because it has performance improvements over vanilla. Is WOTC a totally different campaign, or does it just add stuff to the main game?

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 4, 2021

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hopefully you haven’t already bought it on Switch, cause that version of the game has a pretty bad bug where Squadsight, the Sniper class’ core feature, just straight up doesn’t work.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think I’ll go with Switch. I don’t really mind the graphical downgrade, and it’s currently $20 on Amazon for all DLC.

Reviews online seem to suggest just playing WOTC because it has performance improvements over vanilla. Is WOTC a totally different campaign, or does it just add stuff to the main game?

It's adds stuff to the main game, but it adds a lot and changes/rebalances a couple of powers so it's almost a different game.

Literally the only things I miss from vanilla are that you can't check what weapon mods you have on your dudes mid mission, so you need to memorise the graphics changes on your little weapon graphic, and Rapid Fire is less busted (which is probably objectively good, but I miss just firing twice constantly).

Similar to Enemy Within, I don't think I'd ever go back to the base game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Scrap Dragon posted:

Hopefully you haven’t already bought it on Switch, cause that version of the game has a pretty bad bug where Squadsight, the Sniper class’ core feature, just straight up doesn’t work.

lmao what

also

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's adds stuff to the main game, but it adds a lot and changes/rebalances a couple of powers so it's almost a different game.

Literally the only things I miss from vanilla are that you can't check what weapon mods you have on your dudes mid mission, so you need to memorise the graphics changes on your little weapon graphic, and Rapid Fire is less busted (which is probably objectively good, but I miss just firing twice constantly).

Similar to Enemy Within, I don't think I'd ever go back to the base game.

in my game I can just hover over the weapon and it shows the mods? I don't think that's being enabled by any mod I have

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
It might just be an issue with the PS4 port of Wotc, I suppose. There's also no way to check which ammo types you have on what soldier either, aside from context of the damage numbers, crit chances etc, I just remembered.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2021

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

For $20 I’ll deal with whatever bugs the port has. I’m just craving some turn based combat satisfaction.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

For $20 I’ll deal with whatever bugs the port has. I’m just craving some turn based combat satisfaction.

Squadsight not working isn’t like, “oh hey that guy just floated off into the ether spinning wildly” type bugs, it’s a “this class does not function and it’s gonna kick the game balance in the nards” type of bug.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Squadsight not working isn’t like, “oh hey that guy just floated off into the ether spinning wildly” type bugs, it’s a “this class does not function and it’s gonna kick the game balance in the nards” type of bug.

Eh, I don't know if it would be that bad. It would be annoying, sure. But you could just make all your snipers into gunslingers instead. Of course you would miss out on the victory lap when you get the hunter's rifle and your best sniper can take out half the map in one turn. Which, by that point in the game you really don't need it, but it's always so satisfying.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BobTheJanitor posted:

Eh, I don't know if it would be that bad. It would be annoying, sure. But you could just make all your snipers into gunslingers instead. Of course you would miss out on the victory lap when you get the hunter's rifle and your best sniper can take out half the map in one turn. Which, by that point in the game you really don't need it, but it's always so satisfying.

I hadn't noticed Squadsight was broken until these posts, but now it makes sense. I figured somehow the line of sight was broken on the things I was thinking I should have been able to hit with Squadsight :shrug:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

A squadsight sniper is already a god before you give them the Hunter's rifle. After you give that to your god-tier sniper, they're an angry, vengeful god dispensing their wrath to the deserving from on high :getin:

Between the Chosen weapons and the TLP weapons, I had an utterly disgusting squad of murderers by the end*

*I just tech up to having what is effectively a Deathwatch Kill Team, and run missions from there.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A colonel sniper with the hunter's rifle is just incredibly broken. In a properly balanced game, there wouldn't be anything near that powerful. That said, if anyone ever tried to change it I would bite their fingers off.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In the x-piratez mod end game you have plasma guns that shoot explosive bullets that do so much damage you can break through rock walls in cydonia easily and enough money that you can literally buy any prisoner you need to research end game tech and units with so many TUs that you can walk halfway across the map and still autofire that plasma gun.

Unfortunately, you spend about 8 months at that point building the ship for the cydonia assault.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, everyone is raving about the rifle and I'm just sitting here saying his pistol is my comically broken weapon of choice.

Meanwhile the other two chosen both give you one weapon that's just kind of strong.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Assasin's katana is such a good weapon that I don't blame FoolyChared for forgetting about her shotgun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still sad that they come one at a time during the final mission if you dont boot down their door. How loving awesome would a cage match with all three chosen be

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Played Xcom 2 some years back, didn't really like it, despite loving and playing the hell ouf of the first. Everpresent time limits and added bullshit made it feel like it was twisting my arm to force mistakes. Also, it ran terribly on my laptop.

Friends told me WotC made it better, so I got it on a sale. Also have a new notebook, 16gb memory and all. Thought to give it another chance.

It still runs like garbage. Even with setting on low. Anyone else encountered this?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sephyr posted:

Played Xcom 2 some years back, didn't really like it, despite loving and playing the hell ouf of the first. Everpresent time limits and added bullshit made it feel like it was twisting my arm to force mistakes. Also, it ran terribly on my laptop.

Friends told me WotC made it better, so I got it on a sale. Also have a new notebook, 16gb memory and all. Thought to give it another chance.

It still runs like garbage. Even with setting on low. Anyone else encountered this?

Change the resolution, that has a weirdly outsized impact on performance

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zore posted:

Change the resolution, that has a weirdly outsized impact on performance

Also put it in Windowed Fullscreen if you can. If it's just Fullscreen, in my experience, it is more crash happy.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If I play it on my Lenovo yoga with integrated graphics it runs like poo poo on anything that isn't the native resolution which feels weird as hell

But if it works and looks better that's definitely a win

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Lowering quality plus windowed mode has fixed most of the issues.

However, now the 2k launcher is the one that keeps crashing or failing to load. Is there another way to start the game without going through this step?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sephyr posted:

Lowering quality plus windowed mode has fixed most of the issues.

However, now the 2k launcher is the one that keeps crashing or failing to load. Is there another way to start the game without going through this step?

Yeah, use the Alternate Mod Launcher. Even without any mods its a hell of a lot more stable

https://github.com/X2CommunityCore/xcom2-launcher

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I played XCOM 2 a bunch when it released, but never had the time to finish the game. I saw that it got ported to Mobile, and the mobile port of EU was very well done. Has anyone played the mobile version of 2? I'd love to give this game another go and I just don't have the time to sit at a computer.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

I'm still sad that they come one at a time during the final mission if you dont boot down their door. How loving awesome would a cage match with all three chosen be

This really should've happened. Maybe get the Alien Rulers in too, if they're around.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Having fun with this about 3 hours in on switch. It can be laggy, which really kills the tension when you come to a critical “they better hit in this 68%!” As it just kind of skips around. No major bugs yet.

I unlocked the two special classes, but I know theres a psi-blade dude and I want them. Does that just unlock later?

It’s not as hard as I thought also, granted I’m very early in. Honestly I miss the fire emblem “rewind time” thing because moving the cursor with an analog stick is kind of janky, and several times my bro’s have just ran out into the street on accident.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I played XCOM 2 a bunch when it released, but never had the time to finish the game. I saw that it got ported to Mobile, and the mobile port of EU was very well done. Has anyone played the mobile version of 2? I'd love to give this game another go and I just don't have the time to sit at a computer.

On my second play through on iOS, only disappointment is tactical legacy is not included.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

I unlocked the two special classes, but I know theres a psi-blade dude and I want them. Does that just unlock later?

Yeah you get them in a set order if you have the WotC tutorial or whatever turned on. If you turn off the stuff with Mox and the sword chosen you get them in a random order, and you can force one of them to be your starting faction if you go in to the campaign options.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

illectro posted:

On my second play through on iOS, only disappointment is tactical legacy is not included.

Is the iOS port worth it then? I love EW on iOS but X2 is about 3 times the price (£24)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah you get them in a set order if you have the WotC tutorial or whatever turned on. If you turn off the stuff with Mox and the sword chosen you get them in a random order, and you can force one of them to be your starting faction if you go in to the campaign options.

So I turned on the “integrated dlc” or whatever it was, not really understanding how it works. I’ve gotten the 2 factions and the Chosen are all up my rear end now, so I know it’s on. I guess that just integrated it into the overall game without me having to do all DLC missions as stand alone things?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Integrated DLC mostly means that the missions that would normally be used to start the Alien Ruler and Spark content are turned off, so Sparks are built in the Proving Ground and Alien Rulers will start camping facilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
If you really want a templar, I think even with Lost and Abandoned on, you need to do the "Contact Faction" mission in the resistance ring.