Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also one of the funnier character select screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The generic white guy option looks a lot like Tobey Maguire so I chose that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

High on Life has the whole Tammy and the Trex movie for some insane reason

There are multiple movies in the game and one of them, Demon Warp, has the guys from the Youtube channel Red Letter Media doing a commentary over it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
two notes for people interested in the game: it launched on gamepass (pc and console iirc) and it has justin roiland talking constantly, so use that as a barometer for how much you might actually like the game

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Elden Ring is a cornucopia of hosed-up weird little guys, but I think I've found my favourite: they look like half-frog guys, wield mossy shields and giant clubs, and they do cartwheels at you!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Philippe posted:

Elden Ring is a cornucopia of hosed-up weird little guys, but I think I've found my favourite: they look like half-frog guys, wield mossy shields and giant clubs, and they do cartwheels at you!

they were some of my favorites for a long time, but i think the hands down best are the eggs with horns

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

High on Life has the whole Tammy and the Trex movie for some insane reason

Original version, or the recently unearthed R-rated version?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Original version, or the recently unearthed R-rated version?

I don't know, got to the dick grabbing fight and then had to get ready to go to bed

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Philippe posted:

You get backstory on them later though the good old fashioned lore tidbits so I don’t wanna spoil it, but the implicit explanation of their constant cartwheels is pretty great. They’re so goofy and just glad to be alive and thriving, it’s great.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My fav little guys are the vulgar militia. I farmed them for a while, then I looted some of their items and found out they're just little guys who made their own militia because they're fed up of being made fun of and they get all the dirty jobs, and I felt bad so I started wearing one of their helms. I'll farm you no more, little dudes

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Philippe posted:

There's a place late game with a bunch of them chillin' right next to a Grace that was (is?) a popular rune grinding spot, but I never used it because I do not wish to harm these happy guys.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The new World of Warcraft expansion area has a spa, full of masseuses and manicurists.

One edge of the spa area has a farrier and there's a line of a bunch of hooved characters waiting for treatment.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

There's a place late game with a bunch of them chillin' right next to a Grace that was (is?) a popular rune grinding spot, but I never used it because I do not wish to harm these happy guys.

The variety near that grace point are all blood red, worship a blood god and have devil horns

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

The variety near that grace point are all blood red, worship a blood god and have devil horns

Yeah, they're cool as hell! Even less reason to kill them!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

flatluigi posted:

two notes for people interested in the game: it launched on gamepass (pc and console iirc) and it has justin roiland talking constantly, so use that as a barometer for how much you might actually like the game

so it's extremely aids then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I only know Justin Roiland from Rick and Morty, is he particularly bad aside from that?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I only know Justin Roiland from Rick and Morty, is he particularly bad aside from that?

imagine a rick and morty episode but every scene is stretched until he loses interest in hearing himself talk

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

An Actual Princess posted:

so it's extremely aids then

Idgi, what does acquired immunodeficiency syndrome have to do with yet another annoying Justin Roiland product?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Today is the day that I learned that AIDS isn’t Auto Immune Deficiency Syndrome

My favourite little thing is logging into Terraria on Xbox and my new char/world are sitting on top of the old. Both being named Lastbone and Lastworld because the game was supposed to done.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIh4OI6UGTE
In this 4:18 minute video, about 4:05 of it is talking.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Croccers posted:

I made it about halfway through.

So it's the quantity more than anything else I take it?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

I like how your actual behaviour doesn't factor into the endless monologue at all :eek:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
That's the bit. It's improv and the length is a part of it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It's so exhausting listening to this game. I have no issue filtering out the silly voices at all, chalk that up to having to listen to Mainstream afternoon/evening radio at work for ten years and how they play all the same songs over and over in a slight different order all night. Sometimes they might slip in a song that's trending on Tiktok clearly to pander for extra listeners. Tiktok kids are gonna love this ain't they? Is this what it's like to be a Zoomer? Having to constantly be engaged every micro-second lest your attention fades for the tiniest bit. That's a Zoomer right, I don't think Millennials are like that and do Gen Xers even exist any more? That's what Zoomers do? With the Tiktok watching all the short videos because they don't have attention spans any more so we just have to constantly bark at them? Look at me I'm justin roiland snarf barf sneef Snorpleflorpgargle.

orcane posted:

I like how your actual behaviour doesn't factor into the endless monologue at all :eek:
Oh no your actual behaviour makes them vomit ADDITIONAL monologues. I actually triggered the OH NO DON'T LEAVE monologue when I walked to the right. That scene has extra lines for wrecking the police station, the hospital and the power plant, as well as stepping on everything. It will cut itself off to spout those lines.

Also I swear the Shut The Gun Up option only works for combat or it's not live on the GamePass version yet.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Dec 15, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Vine existed when those children weren't old enough to comprehend mobile devices (2012) so the idea of bite-sized videos by influencers has been around for a while. I agree that they should have gotten someone who's skilled at improv to voice your gun though. Playing the game feels a little like watching a livestreamer who stands still when they talk to the chat instead of continuing to play, which is like rookie mistake #1. Like yeah it's funny sometimes but dude, the momentum, keep moving.

Edit: the above post fooled me into thinking this was the other thread. Ah well.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Dec 15, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Croccers posted:

:psyduck: I'd seen a few small videos that seemed sorta funny, and I think part of the joke is how long it is, but man just having a dude talk at you while you sit there and listen is just not a great design

Very HL2, but less dynamic since the speaker literally does nothing but talk at you

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Titan Quest: For all its other quirks and foibles, I very suddenly realized that one big thing that it doesn't do is include a completely pointless durability system that makes you mash a repair button back at base every 20 minutes and ultimately just siphons gold from you.

It made some sense for Diablo 1's tense dungeon crawling, but I'm fairly certainly every subsequent ARPG just cargo culted it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Dec 15, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The game feels like there are 4 episodes of Rick and Morty playing at the same time and nothing ever stops talking. If somehow you go somewhere where no one is talking to you, other people will start messaging you.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Titan Quest: For all its other quirks and foibles, I very suddenly realized that one big thing that it doesn't do is include a completely pointless durability system that makes you mash a repair button back at base every 20 minutes and ultimately just siphons gold from you.

It made some sense for Diablo 1's tense dungeon crawling, but I'm fairly certainly every subsequent ARPG just cargo culted it.

It's insane how many games have a durability system that means and does nothing but add a tiny chore every hour or so. I was thinking during my DS2 replay that it might be the only game I've played with a durability system that actually made me think about what I was doing and how I was preparing, and even so all gear is repaired for free and automatically at every bonfire. Desperately scrambling to swap to an unbroken sword while fighting a big, screaming dragon was tense and thrilling, and so much better than accessing an extra tab at a shop every once and a while!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Durability systems are one of those things that seem pointless but I think they serve a very valuable function in MMOs: Quietly informing the group that this content is too hard and you should stop trying to beat it. "My gear's broke, gotta go" is a convenient social out that doesn't directly blame anyone and lets people exit the party without repercussion.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

(Best game of the year award winning) god of war ragnarok has both Thor and the subtitle ragnarok referring to the MCU Thor film ragnarok. I like when different medias include references and Easter eggs to each other like this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beat Hong Tse in Dead to Rights 2. Now I'm actually using a mechanic that wasn't really useful before, but i've found the niche for it - most enemies Shadow the dog will just kill when you sic him on them, but in the boss fights he just kind of grabs their hands and stuns them. That wasn't necessary before, but now the bosses have weapons that REALLY hurt, so it's actually beneficial to have Shadow do that so that they can't shoot you, which saves a LOT of health.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

(Best game of the year award winning) god of war ragnarok has both Thor and the subtitle ragnarok referring to the MCU Thor film ragnarok. I like when different medias include references and Easter eggs to each other like this

This caused me a great deal of psychic damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From a game design standpoint, weapon durability does a few useful things. The biggest one is that it forces players to take breaks periodically. A game that's always-on 24/7 combat gets exhausting quickly, but players generally won't willingly say "hey I need some downtime, let's go back to town". Weapon durability is one way to coerce that to happen.

The much-maligned weapon durability in Breath of the Wild does something different: it allows the devs to hand out rewards for exploration that don't permanently increase the player's power. Poke around a bit, find a cool sword, use that sword until it breaks, then switch to the next cool sword. At least, that's the theory. As proven by the legions of people who were extremely upset about this system, plenty of folks are afflicted by "too good to use" syndrome, where anything consumable that can't readily be replaced shall never be used in case it is needed later.

In an MMO context, durability provides a useful economic sink. When you have players running around your game world generating "value" (i.e. gaining loot and cash), you end up injecting a lot of purchasing power into the world. If you don't give places for that power to go, you'll suffer from rapid inflation. Spending money to maintain your increasingly fancier, increasingly more expensive gear is an easy way to keep all that in check.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

oldpainless posted:

I remember playing Alien Vs. Predator way back in the 2000s and when you were doing multiplayer if you died you would just resurrect back at your base and I appreciate the wink and nod to Alien: Resurrection even though I was playing a predator

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sonic frontiers is a weird unfinished game with weird unfinished boss fights and the most heavy metal QTE’s this side of Asura’s Wrath

before this, Super Sonic’s one attack was to fly at something really fast. here he’s DBZ punting mountain-sized robots into the lower atmosphere and then axe-kicking them back down to earth

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

:same:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet has enemy trainers actually use the different Poke Balls the game's got. The tech's been there for ages, but they're finally actually using it beyond for PvP!

The final boss is using entirely Master Balls, which does well to underline just how strong their poo poo is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet has enemy trainers actually use the different Poke Balls the game's got. The tech's been there for ages, but they're finally actually using it beyond for PvP!

The final boss is using entirely Master Balls, which does well to underline just how strong their poo poo is.

A strong trainer wouldn't have to use Master Balls :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I want to say they've been doing that since at least Black/White but I may be thinking of romhacks or such. I'm certain I saw it in SwSh though at least as well, but it is a super cool thing. :3:

Now lemme change the balls my guys are in so I can have matching pokeballs without needing to use 45 healballs on a ditto or whatever.