Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Well dang, that's the only link they'll give me so I don't know what's going on. Are you in the States? Are referrals region-locked even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wintermutant posted:

Well dang, that's the only link they'll give me so I don't know what's going on. Are you in the States? Are referrals region-locked even?

"works on my PC"

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Wintermutant posted:

Yes. Mexico for example is not "officially" supported even if you can import the headset, sign up for an account and throw as much money at their e-shop as you want. That means we get a big fat gently caress you and cannot use ANY referrals for anything.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Det_no posted:

Yes. Mexico for example is not "officially" supported even if you can import the headset, sign up for an account and throw as much money at their e-shop as you want. That means we get a big fat gently caress you and cannot use ANY referrals for anything.

Should have been born in the land of the free, HTH.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Is ultimate swing any good? I remember really liking hot shots on PlayStation 2 maybe, it’s been a while though.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The devs behind The House of Da Vinci announced they're remaking their first game for VR. It was already kind of a clone of The Room, so I guess they decided to follow suit when that series jumped to VR.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2948310/The_House_of_Da_Vinci_VR/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

VegasGoat posted:

Is ultimate swing any good? I remember really liking hot shots on PlayStation 2 maybe, it’s been a while though.

I was really into hot shots golf so I was kinda excited for it but then in all the discussions I read people say the putting sucks compared to golf+ or walkabout

apparently the ball feels weightless, as if you were smacking a ping pong ball instead of a golf ball

people seem pretty positive on the aspects of the game that aren't hitting the ball, but uh, seems important to me :v:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How do you solve the problem of limited play space in a sports simulator?

Most people don't have more than 2×2 meters to stand in without risking knocking poo poo over/smashing a wall, and if you want to simulate a sport where you actually have to move your entire body, things get tricky

Like how would you do a mini tennis like Padel where you have to quickly move around a space?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most of the market has shifted to mobile, which doesn't solve not having enough space but does let you play anywhere you want. First Person Tennis can be used on a real tennis court.

I've been playing Eleven Table Tennis lately with the family. We used to own a table that we set up in the garage, but now we just play in the foyer of the house, about 3x4 meters of open space, but not the kind where you could set up a wired headset. If you were to put in a full size table it wouldn't be enough, but VR lets you reduce required space to places where the player is expected to play within.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 23, 2024

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, did they improve hand tracking on Q3 a bunch in the last couple months? My remotes had to update and while chilling in that starting area I looked over at the mirror and flipped myself off, and it worked for both hands. Usually it has trouble figuring out which finger I'm holding up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah it's been good for a while now, I've been really impressed with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For the love of god, why won't Plex make an official app for Quest.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

God I wish

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bondematt posted:

Man, did they improve hand tracking on Q3 a bunch in the last couple months? My remotes had to update and while chilling in that starting area I looked over at the mirror and flipped myself off, and it worked for both hands. Usually it has trouble figuring out which finger I'm holding up.
Handtracking on the Quest 2 works really well (If you have a Kinect blastin the room with IR).

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Colostomy Bag posted:

All the offical apps (except youtube) are dying. I would have thought Meta would build and support the apps just as loss-leaders

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol PSVR2 is cooked, they're making a sequel to one of the PSVR1 exclusives and it's a non-VR game

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-astro-bot-game-rumored-to-be-announced-in-the-next-two-weeks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I regret getting a PSVR2. Gran Turismo 7 has been great on it at least. Has there been any new progress on it being usable on PC yet?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh look, an update from Bigscreen on my order from December that should have shipped 2 months ago.

quote:

Your order should ship by the end of June or early July. 

gently caress!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just in time for ff14 expansion

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Are there any gun stocks for the meta quest 3 that are worth it? I was playing contractors showdown and god drat do I suck with the floaty two handed guns. Problem with gun stocks I think would be that it sucks to not be able to easily swithc to free hands easily. So I am not sure if there is a real workable solution

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
VR is so fuckin weird in that two-handed long guns are harder to aim and handle than pistols.

I know why this is, it's just super weird that it shakes out that way. It's easily an Exhibit A in the showcase of We Haven't Got This Figured Out Yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

VR is so fuckin weird in that two-handed long guns are harder to aim and handle than pistols.

I know why this is, it's just super weird that it shakes out that way. It's easily an Exhibit A in the showcase of We Haven't Got This Figured Out Yet.

It's been solved for a while now in H3VR and, I believe, Pavlov. Just use a virtual stock system to lock the end of the rifle to your "shoulder" and make it much more stable.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

Oh look, an update from Bigscreen on my order from December that should have shipped 2 months ago.

gently caress!

Yea, I think I ordered mine in September and didn't get it till late January after the date had been pushed from November.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I always figured it's because you actually don't want one hand in front of the other in the way you'd traditionally hold a rifle. So you end up having them slightly off so you don't lose tracking

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Kwolok posted:

Are there any gun stocks for the meta quest 3 that are worth it? I was playing contractors showdown and god drat do I suck with the floaty two handed guns. Problem with gun stocks I think would be that it sucks to not be able to easily swithc to free hands easily. So I am not sure if there is a real workable solution

I've been seeing this one on TikTok I've been tempted to buy. I'm not great at Showdown but it's more fun that Population 1

https://istockgaming.com

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's been solved for a while now in H3VR and, I believe, Pavlov. Just use a virtual stock system to lock the end of the rifle to your "shoulder" and make it much more stable.

That sounds pretty cool, thanks for the tip! I'd like to try that out. I wonder how they did that (which hand ends up being more "dominant", etc..)

Beastie posted:

I always figured it's because you actually don't want one hand in front of the other in the way you'd traditionally hold a rifle. So you end up having them slightly off so you don't lose tracking

Controller tracking is definitely one of the challenges. Generally speaking the more "out in the open" the controllers, the better the tracking. And you definitely want tracking to be at its best for something you're aiming like a gun. But modern (and at this point in history, very ergonomic) rifles would put hands in places that a) controllers have a hard time fitting causing occlusion among other problems, and b) tend to be too close to the headsets.

That's really "just" an ergonomics problem though. The main issue is that it's far more stable and easier to aim a rigid long stick you can hold up to your eye and -- using the magic of ergonomic design -- can set against your shoulder and hold with both hands, keeping everything tucked into and up against the body. But the VR equivalent is two floaty endpoints hanging in space, one for each hand, the gun between them. Which isn't a very good stand-in, to the point that people make and buy those weird gun stocks to help.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feel like I saw it mentioned in this thread a few times. but what's the best way to get Meta to replace drifting quest 2 controller? Like, I want to say I saw something say "go to this page and complain" because otherwise you get more of a runaround or something.

Or is there anything worth doing on my own? Mine got real bad, real quick, such that just touching the stick will cause me to start running off in a direction in VRC.

e: Googling to see my options that don't involve email chains and sending stuff off, some people mention setting the deadzone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGTserZ7qc

but won't this just make it so the stick is far less sensitive? It's not really fixing a drift issue (which at least to me in the calibration menu, looks like an issue of the stick suddenly jumping to a particular position.)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 27, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Kwolok posted:

CGripVR($40 on etsy) is what I use but I modded it so its a lot easier to move the front controller in and out. You can keep the back controller held in pretty much the whole time and its small enough you can do anything youd need with a freehand.

I still mostly suck with it but its certainly much better than without and plus its just fun and immersive to use.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

but won't this just make it so the stick is far less sensitive? It's not really fixing a drift issue (which at least to me in the calibration menu, looks like an issue of the stick suddenly jumping to a particular position.)

Yeah it doesn't actually help if your issue is (as mine was) the stick suddenly jumping to a particular position, as it was reading as 100% in a particular direction, not something you can fix with dead zone settings. The Q2 and Rift sticks are absolutely notorious for this specific problem and nobody, short of replacing the stick or controller itself, has managed a permanent fix for it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Once again complaining that idiot manufacturers insist on using the world's cheapest/shittiest pot based ministicks when there are inexpensive analog Hall versions readily available in the same pinout patterns as all the big boys. Might even be Hall based drop in replacements by now, but basically once sticks start to drive you're looking at new ministicks or new controllers. Dead zone tweaks don't buy a lot of time and makes the experience that much worse if it even addresses the problem at all.

Replaced the ministicks in my Index/Knuckles controllers once. What a pain in the loving rear end that was.. double sided boards with solder both sides wasn't easy to desolder, had to use this poo poo called Chip Quick before I could get them off.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The only reason I haven't replaced the Quest 2 I lost in a burglary is because of the poo poo controllers. I went through two devices in six months and both got stick issues. I even used gloves for the second one, in case my hands were radioactive or something, and the controllers still developed issues.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thoatse posted:

Once again complaining that idiot manufacturers insist on using the world's cheapest/shittiest pot based ministicks when there are inexpensive analog Hall versions readily available in the same pinout patterns as all the big boys. Might even be Hall based drop in replacements by now, but basically once sticks start to drive you're looking at new ministicks or new controllers. Dead zone tweaks don't buy a lot of time and makes the experience that much worse if it even addresses the problem at all.

Replaced the ministicks in my Index/Knuckles controllers once. What a pain in the loving rear end that was.. double sided boards with solder both sides wasn't easy to desolder, had to use this poo poo called Chip Quick before I could get them off.

it's wild how this is still an issue when the loving dreamcast used a hall effect stick, it's not some fancy new technology

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

it's wild how this is still an issue when the loving dreamcast used a hall effect stick, it's not some fancy new technology

Microsoft sent out a survey that said "what do you want in the next Elite controller (their $200 premium controller) with "Hall Sensors? Y/N" so they seem to be considering it. Maybe others will follow suit if they finally do it.

All there is right now for off-the-shelf hall sensors is 8bitDo, GameSir, and lots of AliExpress junk.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Microsoft sent out a survey that said "what do you want in the next Elite controller (their $200 premium controller) with "Hall Sensors? Y/N" so they seem to be considering it. Maybe others will follow suit if they finally do it.
They'll do it.
As an option to spend an extra $50+ for premium sticks.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

From a BOM perspective they are kindof expensive.

Also you can sell replacement controllers for extra revenue (and prolly profit given controller margins).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 28, 2024

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Private Speech posted:

From a BOM perspective they are kindof expensive.

Also you can sell replacement controllers for extra revenue (and prolly profit given controller margins).

Can't deny the planned obsolescence angle but the BOM is not moved by more than what can be equitably amortized. It literally adds <$2 per set of controllers.. which even if they tack $20 to their selling price is still worth it and it becomes a marketable angle too. 'our controllers don't drift!' Win win situation, except for the useless dickheads counting on revenue from replacement controller sales.

Imagine the price buying these by the 10's of thousands.

Yes they're on Ali but that doesn't mean trash. I've been buying hardware/electronics from there for a long time and am usually surprised at how nice most of it really is. I work in a shop that spends thousands a month on poo poo from McMaster Carr that is often the same hardware, sometimes worse sometimes better but always 10x the price. Most electronics are going to be produced in China anyhow and much of the stuff on Ali is the same stuff you'd buy for lots more on Digikey/Mouser/Newark/etc. I have a lot more faith in these generic Halls (of which there are several competing brands/types) over the generic rear end pot based ones Facebook/Valve/Everyone uses because they're $0.17 vs $0.77

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Looks as though Asgard's Wrath 2 got a hi-res update for Quest 3 today. I had put about 4 hours into the game and kind of dropped it in anticipation of this update.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Its similar to recent consoles fidelity vs performance modes, I believe theres a reduction in FPS for the new higher res/textures but not sure how much of a tradeoff it is.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Espire 1 and 2 are a lot of fun, even if the first time you hear a Youtuber trying to be serious sounds really off putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i like asgards wrath but it is definitely my biggest knuckle bruiser of a game....worse than underdogs even. thank god my walls are old school painted sheetrock from the turn of the century and not any modern poo poo i would have put a bunch of holes into now