Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Ironically, she found fishmandude through Tinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
another day working at the Birch Aquarium. everyone wants to gently caress the fish. buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DC Murderverse posted:

Woody Harrelson and James Franco are my current picks for the Best Actor oscars this year so far, although I'm really hoping The Shape of Water has a top tier Michael Shannon Doug Jones performance to compete with Harrelson.

Coffee And Pie posted:

We went to the movies, and we thought it would be fun, you know, to see The Shape of Water. Everybody says you gotta check it out. And... it's a woman loving a fish. We get there and we think it's gonna be awesome and... it is not as cool as it sounds like it's gonna be. It's kinda gross.

You think "A woman loving a fish" and you get there and... it's a woman loving a fish.

It was really giving it to her. And you know what? To be honest I just felt bad for her, we all just felt bad for her.

I kinda felt bad for the fish.

Oh man. I thought it was going to be more of an implied thing and not a straight up "She fucks that fish man." movie. I'm entirely too amused with this.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why all the arthouse pretense when your movies about a girl loving a fish

Are you sure that's not the prequel? I feel like the girl loving a fish is how we got the fish man in the first place.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

We went to the movies, and we thought it would be fun, you know, to see The Shape of Water. Everybody says you gotta check it out. And... it's a woman loving a fish. We get there and we think it's gonna be awesome and... it is not as cool as it sounds like it's gonna be. It's kinda gross. You think "A woman loving a fish" and you get there and... it's a woman loving a fish.

I had an inverse experience recently watching the movie Teeth when I was bored out of my mind. I went into it expecting a movie that's about a girl who has a mutation that acts basically like the vagina dentata myth of old, and was completely onboard with it just being an excuse to have terrible men losing their junk.

Sure, it was that, but there's a surprising amount of depth in the film. You've got minor throughlines about living near nuclear power plants, dysfunctional families, fundamentalism vs secular teachings, how sex ed is taught (and how it's not taught), dealing with your developing sexuality in a vacuum and how within a religious context, and a bunch of other little things that I did not expect a netflix horror movie about vagina dentata to bother with.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Turns out water is dick-shaped.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was going to change the words to the chorus of Under the Sea to be about a lady loving a fish man but it already kinda sounds that way.

quote:

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can't wait to see how many people leave the theater when sally Hawkins parties down on that fish dick

jimshua
Jun 11, 2017

there are three things im good at: counting and lists
fish dick was very funny and the audience reaction was lit. 9/10

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGWPorwkYg

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

penismightier posted:

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what movies you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what movies you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. I will probate the gently caress out of you disgusting orangutan-rear end motherfuckers, Jesus Christ, just don't do it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:yikes:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want to share a film with all of you. A couple years ago, my girlfriend and I dug through Netflix to see what kind of stuff was buried far from our recommendations. We briefly got into watching black Christian comedies full of marriage advice, of which there are many.

One of these movies is The Marriage Chronicles. It's about three couples that are invited to a retreat where they learn to communicate and connect. There are some arguments, some adventures, and a lot of heartfelt talks.

It used to be on Netflix but is now on Youtube. You can watch it right here. I invite everyone to do so right away. Don't skip ahead. You're going to wonder why I asked you watch this, but it's all worth it at the end. Enjoy!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want to share a film with all of you. A couple years ago, my girlfriend and I dug through Netflix to see what kind of stuff was buried far from our recommendations. We briefly got into watching black Christian comedies full of marriage advice, of which there are many.

One of these movies is The Marriage Chronicles. It's about three couples that are invited to a retreat where they learn to communicate and connect. There are some arguments, some adventures, and a lot of heartfelt talks.

It used to be on Netflix but is now on Youtube. You can watch it right here. I invite everyone to do so right away. Don't skip ahead. You're going to wonder why I asked you watch this, but it's all worth it at the end. Enjoy!

oh god, we watched that a year or so ago, it's... it's something.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Was hoping for The Shape of Water, but it's not playing nearby.

Since it's my birthday and I get to force people to watch whatever I want, should I pick Lady Bird or The Disaster Artist?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lady Bird, definitely.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

GonSmithe posted:

There are literally folk tales and legends in every culture about loving mermaids, but oh no, can't have someone want to gently caress a merman

In October Lifetime had a movie that was this - http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/sea-change

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy 101st birthday, Kirk Douglas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fuckin a, he's STILL around? Good on ya Kirk.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The remastered Spartacus blu-ray had a then-new interview (from 2014) and he was sharp as a tack, despite his post-stroke speech problem. Best part was him poo poo-talking Kubrick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh, what did he say? I thought he brought on Kubrick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What does he eat?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Detective No. 27 posted:

drat, happy bday to the naked fight scene king

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The year Kirk Douglas was born the Ottoman empire was still around, the very last stagecoach robbery heralded the end of the Wild West, and sliced bread was still over a decade away.

Dude is old.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

What does he eat?

Out, if he's anything like his son.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hehe

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

. Best part was him poo poo-talking Kubrick.

That Dick

What'd he say?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

What does he eat?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Losing it.

unrelated edits: The Accountant is really far too tepid for a mockbuster rip-off of John Wick with elements of Forrest Gump.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 10, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

The year Kirk Douglas was born the Ottoman empire was still around, the very last stagecoach robbery heralded the end of the Wild West, and sliced bread was still over a decade away.

Dude is old.

He's had to buy a lot of different musical formats.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Oh, what did he say? I thought he brought on Kubrick

He and Kubrick fought over the direction of the picture. Kubrick was used to full creative control (since he produced his first four films), while Douglas was the producer this time. They solved their differences by going to therapy together.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's had to buy a lot of different musical formats.

"Pffff...My Little Bimbo Down On A Bamboo Isle sounds so much better on magnetic wire than on gramophone. You kids wouldn't understand"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

He and Kubrick fought over the direction of the picture. Kubrick was used to full creative control (since he produced his first four films), while Douglas was the producer this time. They solved their differences by going to therapy together.

LOL, I vaguely remember Douglas firing the director and bringing on Kubrick because he wanted a yes man. I don't recall reading about any friction between the two but I always wondered about it. Any specific things he said about Kubrick?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bought some cheapo led lights from Costco. They're decently bright and very portable since they're remote controlled and battery powered and you can mount them anywhere with double sided tape. Did some test shots with my cats on my low quality phone camera:

Wanna write a short entirely around using colored Mario Bava style lighting.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 10, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's harder than you think. Unless you have money!

I had trouble doing mine. The lights I had were kinda bright but not super bright enough,.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

These are five in a set. If I buy two more sets I can stick each set together as one light and have 3 semi-powerful lights for three point lighting.

Maybe, possibly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It might work. I think my problem was, now that I think about it, was I didn't have enough lamps for the bulbs. So I could only move around 2 or 3 lights at a time, and the rest had to be fixed to a place.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

K. Waste posted:

unrelated edits: The Accountant is really far too tepid for a mockbuster rip-off of John Wick with elements of Forrest Gump.

When I say it's a bizarrely ill-conceived movie, that makes it sound like there's anything fun or remotely interesting about it, but it's really not the case. I mean, a movie about an autistic savant accountant who is also a vigilante murder machine who funnels his hidden wealth through a special needs school which houses his profoundly autistic friend who talks to him through a computer and provides him intel on his missions, who is being hunted by his mercenary brother AND ALSO there's a subplot about cops who are hunting him BUT REALLY aiding him in a conspiracy sounds like it should at least be fun, right? Right?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I say it's a bizarrely ill-conceived movie, that makes it sound like there's anything fun or remotely interesting about it, but it's really not the case. I mean, a movie about an autistic savant accountant who is also a vigilante murder machine who funnels his hidden wealth through a special needs school which houses his profoundly autistic friend who talks to him through a computer and provides him intel on his missions, who is being hunted by his mercenary brother AND ALSO there's a subplot about cops who are hunting him BUT REALLY aiding him in a conspiracy sounds like it should at least be fun, right? Right?

It made me realize how I've put off seeing that autistic Zen warrior movie Chocolate for way too long.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember Chocolate being okay, nothing terribly special. Like it feels a little bit impressive in its cheapness, but it never really hits any high notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Was hoping for The Shape of Water, but it's not playing nearby.

Since it's my birthday and I get to force people to watch whatever I want, should I pick Lady Bird or The Disaster Artist?

Apparently it's going wide on the 22nd.

And hard.

And slippery.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hollywood needs to stop the whole "autism is a super power" thing they keep doing.

• Locked thread