Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Which makes his love interest in Dirge of Cerberus triple-creepy.

According to The Dark Id's LP, she's a 19 year old girl who just happens to look like a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's like 100 in jRPG years!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's basically hundreds of years old if The Animes have taught me anything, so close enough :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Shelke is 19, but has the physical appearance of a nine-year-old.

The weird thing is that she isn't even drawn like a nine-year-old. You could easily just say she's a young-looking 19 and I'd buy it. Like she's short but not as small as a nine-year-old, and she has a childish face but not as childish as a nine-year-old. It's like one guy snuck that bit in without anyone noticing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

That loving Sned posted:

Which makes his love interest in Dirge of Cerberus triple-creepy.

According to The Dark Id's LP, she's a 19 year old girl who just happens to look like a child.

Let's not launch into the awful realm of DoG canon

Endorph posted:

The weird thing is that she isn't even drawn like a nine-year-old. You could easily just say she's a young-looking 19 and I'd buy it. Like she's short but not as small as a nine-year-old, and she has a childish face but not as childish as a nine-year-old. It's like one guy snuck that bit in without anyone noticing.

jesus christ.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Excels posted:

He blames himself for Lucrecia dying because he didn't talk her out of having Hojo's Jenovababy, which she died giving birth to. So yeah the cockblocking was part of it.
Except she didn't, as you can find her chilling in a cave behind a waterfall later on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Except she didn't, as you can find her chilling in a cave behind a waterfall later on.
That's her ghost, innit?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Endorph posted:

That's her ghost, innit?
She tells you that the Jenova inside her is keeping her alive, but I agree it still could be

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

i always saw it as something that happens to people infected with jenova cells, they are resistant to being integrated with the lifestream or whatever

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jenova Cells can pretty much do anything. They kept Lucrecia alive, they helped glue Cloud's mind back together, they can all reassemble or fight independently on their own... They can do even more crazy poo poo in the EU but gently caress that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I've heard something along the lines of SE not being allowed to use Gackt's image in their games from now on, and if that's true then thank loving god they won't be able to tie in Genesis to the FFVII remake.

As far as the battle system goes, I expect it will be X-2's ATB system, where more than one action can happen at a time, and with random encounters replaced with the XIII trilogy's system where you can see enemies on the map. XII's system could be good too, since battles didn't warp you to a different but similar looking universe.

A full action system like XV or Kingdom Hearts would be great, but it might feel too different from the original game. It was all about creating stupidly overpowered materia combinations, after all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Since we brought up Dirge of Cerberus, I still think it is one of Square Enix's most understandable flops: FF7 is beloved and we can print money making games based on it, but it's also an old game that isn't as good as people who idolize it remember, its story isn't like people remember, nor was its world ever made to be expanded on so the games will likely be poo poo. Still, it will sell like hot cakes.

Also, I liked Crisis Core.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't say Crisis Core is great (though I legit think it has one of the best ending sequences S-E has ever done) but it absolutely is the only FFVII spinoff that feels like FFVII did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crisis core isn't great, but it's good and adds to FF7 by actually making Zack feel like a person instead of a plotpoint

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just said I liked it, didn't say it was the best thing ever. I thought it was a fun RPG with a refreshingly cheerful protagonist.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I saw the ending of Crisis Core on youtube and I kinda liked it up until the point where Zack literally rubs his blood all over Cloud and says "I died for you, buddy!!!" It's a little too heavy-handed for what happens to Cloud's psyche as a result of Zack's death, I would have preferred it if it were closer to the FF7 sequence where Cloud just finds Zack's body and freaks the gently caress out.

That being said I have no context for the scene wrt the rest of the game so whatever.

Is Type-0 any good? I've heard really mixed things about it, but never anything specific as to why it is or isn't worth a play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heaven Spacey posted:

I saw the ending of Crisis Core on youtube and I kinda liked it up until the point where Zack literally rubs his blood all over Cloud and says "I died for you, buddy!!!" It's a little too heavy-handed for what happens to Cloud's psyche as a result of Zack's death, I would have preferred it if it were closer to the FF7 sequence where Cloud just finds Zack's body and freaks the gently caress out.

That being said I have no context for the scene wrt the rest of the game so whatever.

Is Type-0 any good? I've heard really mixed things about it, but never anything specific as to why it is or isn't worth a play.

It makes more sense in the context of the game. Admittedly it helps a lot that it is joined by absolutely one of the top-notch Final Fantasy songs. The Price of Freedom is seriously aces.

Type-0 has a dumb plot but the gameplay can be pretty fun. That's honestly all there is to say about it. It's kind of bland honestly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Type-0 is fun, but it's one of those games that doesn't open up to its battle potential until a 2nd playthrough because of dumb reverse-quest item availability.

Also does the stupid poo poo of hiding important, plot-solving/plot-ending cutscenes as secret unlocks.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Crisis Core both confirmed there is a God, and then let Zack kill her.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still bet you anything that in FFVII Remake Zack and Sephiroth will have a huge anime sword fight for five minutes. Whereas in the original Zack lasted all of five seconds before being tossed out like yesterday's garbage.

That will always be how I remember Zack Fair, that guy who got owned by Sephiroth off-screen and then shot to death by a couple Shinra mooks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Excels posted:

Crisis Core both confirmed there is a God, and then let Zack kill her.

Crisis Core also made three Sephiroths so it isn't all good for sure.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Many of Square-Enix's recent successes have come from rebooting a series (Tomb Raider 2013, Deus Ex: HR, FFXIV) and modernizing its gameplay to fit modern tastes. They learned the hard way that the market is incredibly punishing to developers who ignore trends.

Most of the upcoming Final Fantasy console games have been more action-focused, such as FFXV, FF Explorers, and FF Dissidia 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the remake follows suit. Their throwback to classic FF gameplay ended up being the Bravely Default series and mobile FF games.

That loving Sned posted:

I've heard something along the lines of SE not being allowed to use Gackt's image in their games from now on, and if that's true then thank loving god they won't be able to tie in Genesis to the FFVII remake.

As far as the battle system goes, I expect it will be X-2's ATB system, where more than one action can happen at a time, and with random encounters replaced with the XIII trilogy's system where you can see enemies on the map. XII's system could be good too, since battles didn't warp you to a different but similar looking universe.

A full action system like XV or Kingdom Hearts would be great, but it might feel too different from the original game. It was all about creating stupidly overpowered materia combinations, after all.

I think a battle system similar to the one in FFXII would be a good compromise between keeping elements of ATB and appealing to a mainstream audience. Or Dragon Age Inquisition if it's to be more action-oriented. However, I expect it to be an action heavy battle system due to the people helming it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

I can't say Crisis Core is great (though I legit think it has one of the best ending sequences S-E has ever done) but it absolutely is the only FFVII spinoff that feels like FFVII did.

Yo I loving cried at the end of Crisis Core. Do you have ANY idea how many Costly Punches I used to level grind him up to 100 so I could fight Minerva? And then he dies to three soldiers! Like yeah, it's implied that he kills an entire army before they do him in, but still.

Also spoilers Zack dies at the end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zack fought off a lot of people before those soldiers got him and, ya know, battled Gaia's consciousness. He was pretty tired by then.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
WHY DIDN'T HE gently caress THE FEMALE TURK. WHERE DID THEY EVEN GO, THEY WERE TRYING TO SAVE HIS rear end BEFORE HE GOT GUNNED DOWN

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Can't believe they're localizing that Final Fantasy Monster Hunter clone that was apparently really terrible

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Say what you will about Crisis Core, it had some awesome music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU :smith:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gackt

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gesundheit!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Volt Catfish posted:

Can't believe they're localizing that Final Fantasy Monster Hunter clone that was apparently really terrible

It probably doesn't have all that much dialog, sso it was probablypretty cheap to do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

It probably doesn't have all that much dialog, sso it was probablypretty cheap to do

That and I assume Record Keeper's been netting them tons of money so why not get more money from selling nostalgia?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Genesis isn't that bad. He's the third best soldier who wants desperately to be the first, and everyone makes fun of his favourite book. He's a walking inferiority complex.

He's the first to realise Shinra and Soldier are hosed up, and is really the good guy for most of Crisis Core. Then he gets leprosy and goes mental.

Ignore the petty "he's based on a pop-star, that's stupid!" nonsense and he's a decent character. Better than Angeal. And 2 of the 3 weirdos from Advent Children.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 1, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I needed a blue ray player a few months back so I picked up a PS4, and FFX remastered just for the hell of it. I never played it before, and I basically knew nothing about it except blitzball, most of the characters, and dodging lightning.

I just started playing it yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far; even the lovely VA is late 90's/early 2000's as hell so it's almost endearing in a nostalgic way.

The VA was awful back then too, compared to other games on the market.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

If it's a MH clone I imagine there is a disgusting amount of tooltips and item descriptions though

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That loving Sned posted:

This is exactly what they should do. It's the only way of updating it that keeps the spirit of the original. I wouldn't be horribly stressed if they go full action game, but I'm much prefer X-2 style.

Gologle posted:

Also spoilers Zack dies at the end.

Are we going to have to start to treat Aerith dying as an actual spoiler again at some point?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CottonWolf posted:

Are we going to have to start to treat Aerith dying as an actual spoiler again at some point?

Incredibly enough, there was one guy in the FFVII LP thread that didn't know about it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZKkectsiw

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

The VA was awful back then too, compared to other games on the market.
I don't know why but I have the same narrative about it being fairly normal to skimp on the VA director like FF10 in the era, but its contemporary with GTA3 (a decent cartoony script) and MGS2 (weird story aside, an overall high quality VA performance).

Even weirder is I think I realized how garbage the VA was trying to play it when it first came out, leading to shelving it. Then I actually finished it for the first time 4 years later at which point it was cemented in my head that it was goofy, endearing old school direction instead of just bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Legacy of Kain Blood Omen and Soul Reaver both came out years before FFX so it obviously has no excuse.

But seriously, I never had a problem with FFX's dub. It's just fine as fa ras I'm concerned. Not great, not bad, it's just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mega64 posted:

That and I assume Record Keeper's been netting them tons of money so why not get more money from selling nostalgia?

In Japan, pre-orders came with a free port of FF1.

Or Explorers came free when you pre-ordered FF1 for 3DS.

zedprime posted:

I don't know why but I have the same narrative about it being fairly normal to skimp on the VA director like FF10 in the era, but its contemporary with GTA3 (a decent cartoony script) and MGS2 (weird story aside, an overall high quality VA performance).

Even weirder is I think I realized how garbage the VA was trying to play it when it first came out, leading to shelving it. Then I actually finished it for the first time 4 years later at which point it was cemented in my head that it was goofy, endearing old school direction instead of just bad.

I've come to appreciate the English dub over the years. It won't compare favorably to the writing and acting in a LucasArts or Legacy of Kain game but you have subtleties such as Tidus's acting in the beginning of the game differing from the serious tone of his narration. The voice director and his team had to deal with a lot technical limitation and directives from Japan when casting and recording the English dub. When given the good support and time, we saw what they could do with FFXII's dub.