Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I am the library staffer on the top right of the second picture, furiously texting an intern about running public events through the head librarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007
All I see is "Rand Paul" and "5%".
Which is appropriate, because this is what he's polling at right now.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

TEAYCHES posted:

same but jeremy corbyn
I don't think you can exactly compare the two. Corbyn's win was partially the result of Labour reforming their process because the influence of and association with an element of the Old Labour establishment (the unions) was an ongoing thorn in the side of the New Labour establishment. So they let anyone with a few quid to spare join in and, amazingly, it turns out that when you have such an open leadership election in a party with a left wing base, you end up with a populist left wing leader. Endorsements one way or another weren't really a factor.

If the Democratic Party were to radically change their primary process and do something similar, no doubt Sanders would have a far better chance, but the arcane system in place seems specifically designed to keep people Hillary on top and edge people like Sanders out, so...

Bryter fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 12, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Neeksy posted:

Admitting it's dumb is not entirely making up for the fact that you're making decisions like that over a forums poster.

But surely you realize that you thinking that's dumb is about as significant as the phase of the moon; that is how many people think and their "dumb"ness has no impact on how important they are.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 12, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Bryter posted:

If the Democratic Party were to do something similar, no doubt Sanders would have a chance, but the arcane primary system seems specifically designed to keep people Hillary on top and edge people like Sanders out, so...

watching a popular candidate sanders be blatantly politicked out might be enough to get Democrats to finally take a serious look at reforming our own party system into something worthy of the name 'Democratic'

i have more wildly overoptimistic scenarios if you want em

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Lot of people are bashing Trump for this, but that skit was amazing and is probably endearing to more people than it'd turn off.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Bryter posted:

I don't think you can exactly compare the two. Corbyn's win was partially the result of Labour reforming their process because the influence of and association with an element of the Old Labour establishment (the unions) was an ongoing thorn in the side of the New Labour establishment. So they let anyone with a few quid to spare join in and, amazingly, it turns out that when you have such an open leadership election in a party with a left wing base, you end up with a populist left wing leader.

If the Democratic Party were to do something similar, no doubt Sanders would have a chance, but the arcane primary system seems specifically designed to keep people Hillary on top and edge people like Sanders out, so...

theres no barrier to voting in the democratic primary apart from registering as a democrat, and in many states its a completely open primary

i submit to you the possibility that if a candidate positions himself as a populist left wing leader in a nation with such an open primary process then its possible he will win the leadership of the democratic party

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Patter Song posted:

Lot of people are bashing Trump for this, but that skit was amazing and is probably endearing to more people than it'd turn off.

I don't know why anyone would bash Trump for this.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Patter Song posted:

The only people who seem to think this was bad for Trump are the rival campaigns.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

Guess what bitch. I was going to caucus for Bernie Sanders, but now I'm not, just because of you and how much I hate you. Think I'm kidding? I've done dumber things for dumber reasons. I want you to reflect on that. On how poor an ambassador you are for a cause that means so much to you.

You are the WORST

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol, did I win the thread?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Patter Song posted:

if anything people should bash fallon for aiding and abetting trump

NotWearingPants posted:

lol, did I win the thread?

causing someone to melt down like that was pretty amazing, good job

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

538 is accurate as gently caress you doofuses

Nate Silver/538 is very accurate in the moment, but not so much 5 months out.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

TEAYCHES posted:

theres no barrier to voting in the democratic primary apart from registering as a democrat, and in many states its a completely open primary

i submit to you the possibility that if a candidate positions himself as a populist left wing leader in a nation with such an open primary process then its possible he will win the leadership of the democratic party

If you know of any state primary or caucus which can be completed with anything like the ease of spending 2 minutes to fill in a ballot and email or post it off, I'm all ears.

That's without even getting into the whole state by state poo poo and the influence of individual state parties. Come on, the process is nowhere near as open, and you'd have to be wilfully ignorant to believe it is.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 12, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Abner Cadaver II posted:

watching a popular candidate sanders be blatantly politicked out might be enough to get Democrats to finally take a serious look at reforming our own party system into something worthy of the name 'Democratic'

i have more wildly overoptimistic scenarios if you want em

I like Sanders, you like Sanders, Democrats generally like Sanders. You know who Democrats like more than Sanders? Hillary. Sanders not getting the nomination while Hillary does is not going to cause any revolution. Someone with around 80% favorability with the party winning is not going to cause an uproar.

Now if the mystic sorceries metric bring the nomination to Chafee, well then thing are likely to change.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I apologize to everyone but TEAYCHES for the following semi-effortful post.

TEAYCHES posted:

nah i pretty distinctly remember obama winning and it being a surprise to no one but the mitt romney campaign and that right wing huckster polling guy

That's interesting that that's what you remember. It's almost as if you weren't paying close attention until recently.

Here's a small sampling of quotes from the Romney Toxx thread:

quote:

First of all, Romney's turnout, which is all the campaign has been shooting for, is overwhelming. It is thorough. It's showing up huge in MI, in FL. In OH, in CO and PA. Everywhere (sort of like those national polls indicated they would).

Secondly, just look at what the freeloaders (and by freeloaders, I mean high-information o-toxxers who risk nothing by pesting up this hallowed thread) are talking about - stupid crap, to set the table to challenge a loss through litigation, or at least lay down some groundwork for excuses.

President Romney.

Deal with it. Everyone, deal with it.

quote:

I bet my savings. I don't want to say how much exactly any more. UnskewedPolls had Romney by a landslide. Smart unbiased journalists were saying the same. Also momentum was on my side. This was supposed to be a clear victory at great odds. I still think it might be, but now I'm unsure. I really can't afford to lose this. I can't believe it's this close. Only the biased main stream media had obama as a favorite.

quote:

The most valuable thing learned from this election for me is that the RCP poll averages are accurate, as was Nate Silver. There's no point in putting any faith in 'turnout' or 'enthusiasm' or any other number of factors most conservatives were looking at to bring their hopes up. Some of you guys may find this to be a no-brainer but trust me on the conservative side there was an onslaught of hopeful tidbits (and predictions) to cling to.

Here is a video of Mitt Romney supporters breaking down in tears and in shock because Romney lost.

Here are the quotes from the first page of an unbelievably long Freep election night thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2955604/posts

quote:

Getting ready for this wonderful day; washing hair; singing in the shower—We’re going to wash that man right out of our hair…

quote:

Voted at 6am (NJ). A line already...remember Chick-Fil-A day??? It’s happening. Thank you Lord Jesus!

quote:

If what I think will happen, happens today, it will be a historic event in which we tell the govt, ‘you are in our house, here us roar.”

quote:

Reviewing the bidding: the media don’t have nearly the power that they, and many of us, think they have. And the pollsters, who get to talk to one out of every eleven people they (or their robots) call, are very afraid that they’re going to have to come up with some sort of scientific-sounding explanation for what happened.

Maybe they should take a poll on which explanation sounds most convincing, huh?

Some of these quotes should sound very familiar to Bernie-stans.

Here is Peggy Noonan throwing in for Romney:

quote:

Among the wisest words spoken this cycle were by John Dickerson of CBS News and Slate...he thought maybe the American people were quietly cooking something up, something we don’t know about.
I think they are and I think it’s this: a Romney win.
Romney’s crowds are building—28,000 in Morrisville, Pa., last night; 30,000 in West Chester, Ohio, Friday It isn’t only a triumph of advance planning: People came, they got through security and waited for hours in the cold. His rallies look like rallies now, not enactments...All the vibrations are right.

Hmmmmm you mean people should be using crowd turnout as an indicator of who will win an election? Hmmm sounds like something I've heard before.

Here is Brietbart doing some high quality unskewing:

quote:

Again, if Rasmussen is anywhere near as correct as he’s been in the past, all of these polls showing Obama holding small leads, are dead wrong. They’re under-sampling Republicans in a major way; predicting an electorate that looks like 2008.

Also, here is Karl Rove’s infamous election night meltdown. I could also list the dozens of right-wing pundits who were not directly involved in the Romney campaign but predicted a sweep. The vast majority of people who weren't surprised by the outcome were those who were following the stats, and well, what side of the fence does that put you?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's interesting that that's what you remember. It's almost as if you weren't paying close attention until recently.

Here's a small sampling of quotes from the Romney Toxx thread:

Here is a video of Mitt Romney supporters breaking down in tears and in shock because Romney lost.

Here are the quotes from the first page of an unbelievably long Freep election night thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2955604/posts

Some of these quotes should sound very familiar to Bernie-stans.

Here is Peggy Noonan throwing in for Romney:

Hmmmmm you mean people should be using crowd turnout as an indicator of who will win an election? Hmmm sounds like something I've heard before.

Here is Brietbart doing some high quality unskewing:

Also, here is Karl Rove’s infamous election night meltdown. I could also list the dozens of right-wing pundits who were not directly involved in the Romney campaign but predicted a sweep. The vast majority of people who weren't surprised by the outcome were those who were following the stats, and well, what side of the fence does that put you?

hosed up but not true

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

80% favorability with the party winning is not going to cause an uproar.

And by 80% you mean 60 & dropping.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Bryter posted:

If you know of any state primary or caucus which can be completed with anything like the ease of spending 2 minutes to fill in a ballot and email or post it off, I'm all ears.

That's without even getting into the whole state by state poo poo and the influence of individual state parties. Come on, the process is nowhere near as open, and you'd have to be wilfully ignorant to believe it is.

its way easier to vote in united states primaries where you merely have to be a registered voter who has declared party affiliation and in some states you can be independent, or even open primaries. admittedly caucuses are a lot more involved, though in iowa, noted caucus state, they are tied. thats a less intensive process than even having to pay a nominal fee and actually join the party to vote like in the uk

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

a lot of the d&d people are elderly and dont read a lot of current events, please go easy on them

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Get in on the love train. That’s what Bernie Sanders’ campaign is.” ~ Cornell West, campaigning with Bernie in South Carolina.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

cornel west owns

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Get in on the love train. That’s what Bernie Sanders’ campaign is.” ~ Cornell West, campaigning with Bernie in South Carolina.

I've read about this guy that he is a very polarizing figure to african americans, mainly due to his opposition to the Obama presidency after the first four years.
Advocating Sanders is a good or bad thing (for Sanders)?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think if you look you'll find white dudes on the internet have spoken and the word is Bern :smuggo:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dante80 posted:

I've read about this guy that he is a very polarizing figure to african americans, mainly due to his opposition to the Obama presidency after the first four years.

Some would have you believe Bernie's favorability couldn't get any lower with African Americans, so it's probably a good thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Joementum posted:

Oh snap

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

TEAYCHES posted:

its way easier to vote in united states primaries where you merely have to be a registered voter who has declared party affiliation and in some states you can be independent, or even open primaries. admittedly caucuses are a lot more involved, though in iowa, noted caucus state, they are tied. thats a less intensive process than even having to pay a nominal fee and actually join the party to vote like in the uk

Any member of the Labour party, the affiliated unions or the registered supporters who paid a couple of quid to vote could pick any day within the past month to spend literally seconds filling out a ballot, and the winner was then decided on a one member, one vote basis. Are you honestly claiming to believe that the delegate system, staggered primaries and caucuses and the associated campaigning that Democratic candidates will go through are in any way comparable?

Bryter fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 12, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

I think if you look you'll find white dudes on the internet have spoken and the word is Bern :smuggo:

pretty hosed up thing to say on the page of cornel west

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Bryter posted:

Any member of the Labour party, the affiliated unions or the registered supporters who paid a couple of quid to vote could pick any day within the past month to spend literally seconds filling out a ballot, and the winner was then decided on a one member, one vote basis. Are you honestly claiming to believe that the delegate system, staggered primaries and caucuses and the associated campaigning that Democratic candidates will go through is in any way comparable?

yes because the delegates are representatives of how people voted in the primaries, much like how the electoral college generally reflects the percentage of people who voted for president. obviously im not defending the electoral college here, which is retarded and fails drastically in close races, but what you are describing could also be phrased as people vote for representatives to vote for their candidate and it happens over a period of time while debates occur. its not really that arcane or difficult to suss out

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

steinrokkan posted:

but, yes, dropping

That said, I think on the whole the candidate who wins the Democratic nomination will be the candidate who is more popular with Democrats

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Bob Ojeda posted:

but, yes, dropping

That said, I think on the whole the candidate who wins the Democratic nomination will be the candidate who is more popular with Democrats

at one point mccain could barely afford gas for the straight talk express, was polling single digits and was wildly unpopular for his support for immigration reform

if you are making certain predictions at this point in the primaries you are a loving idiot, sorry

(not sorry)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

TEAYCHES posted:

pretty hosed up thing to say on the page of cornel west

I like the sound of this "love train" and want to hear more.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

TEAYCHES posted:

yes because the delegates are representatives of how people voted in the primaries, much like how the electoral college generally reflects the percentage of people who voted for president. obviously im not defending the electoral college here, which is retarded and fails drastically in close races, but what you are describing could also be phrased as people vote for representatives to vote for their candidate and it happens over a period of time while debates occur. its not really that arcane or difficult to suss out

Not the people in winner take all states and it's important to keep in mind that the people voting are different people (it is not the same wide net as the Labour election in which anyone with three quid and three minutes could have a say). And the Labour election had no staggering of different regions, no superdelegates, nothing like the same campaigning, nothing like the same advertising et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... The comparison fails at every turn pal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump: it is so much easier for Muslims to get into U.S. from Syria than it is for Christians

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just a pep moment, related to elections but not the US: Jeremy "admitted socialist" Corbyn just won the Labour (UK democrats) leadership elections with 59.4% of the total vote: he did not have the majority of the member votes, had a strong majority of associated (unions) member votes, and 90%+ of the supporter (anyone willing to pay the £5 voting fee) vote: even if he had no votes from members of the labor establishment he would have won. This is following months of hit-pieces from labour members, every paper (including light-neoliberal ones), and past leaders of both Labour and Tory (UK republicans) warning that he would bring about the end-times.

Andy Burnham, neoliberal who adopted Corbyn policies after his polularity was made blatant, trailed with 19.5% of the vote. Liz Kendall, neoliberal Labour Establishment favorite with a strong vote presence in the elected member vote, flatlined with 4% of the vote.

Let this be a moment of celebration, and savor the realization of the hope that we leftists in America can match the fighting spirit of the UK's leftists; we -can- win elections, our financial policies -are- shared with the populace, and we -don't- have to "settle" for right-wing candidates. Our only barrier is our own apathy and fatalism.

Whoever you choose to vote for in these primaries, ensure that you are voting with confidence that this candidate represents your values best, and that you will not yield to unfounded fears that you are alone and must settle for inaction or compromise.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Bryter posted:

Not the people in winner take all states and it's important to keep in mind that the people voting are different people (it is not the same wide net as the Labour election in which anyone with three quid and three minutes could have a say). And the Labour election had no staggering of different regions, no superdelegates, nothing like the same campaigning, nothing like the same advertising et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... The comparison fails at every turn pal.

the act of voting in the democratic primaries itself is easy enough and if sanders gets the most votes in the most states he will win the primaries. the superdelegates arent going to vote against the majority nominee

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Just a pep moment, related to elections but not the US: Jeremy "admitted socialist" Corbyn just won the Labour (UK democrats) leadership elections with 59.4% of the total vote: he did not have the majority of the member votes, had a strong majority of associated (unions) member votes, and 90%+ of the supporter (anyone willing to pay the £5 voting fee) vote: even if he had no votes from members of the labor establishment he would have won. This is following months of hit-pieces from labour members, every paper (including light-neoliberal ones), and past leaders of both Labour and Tory (UK republicans) warning that he would bring about the end-times.

Andy Burnham, neoliberal who adopted Corbyn policies after his polularity was made blatant, trailed with 19.5% of the vote. Liz Kendall, neoliberal Labour Establishment favorite with a strong vote presence in the elected member vote, flatlined with 4% of the vote.

Let this be a moment of celebration, and savor the realization of the hope that we leftists in America can match the fighting spirit of the UK's leftists; we -can- win elections, our financial policies -are- shared with the populace, and we -don't- have to "settle" for right-wing candidates. Our only barrier is our own apathy and fatalism.

Whoever you choose to vote for in these primaries, ensure that you are voting with confidence that this candidate represents your values best, and that you will not yield to unfounded fears that you are alone and must settle for inaction or compromise.

:agreed:

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

Montasque posted:

Bernie and Trump are fun outsiders who have tapped into populist energy, but they are vying for the leadership of entrenched massive political machines.

This is the real primary:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

Hilary won it MONTHS ago.

mike huckabee: a top candidate for president

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dante80 posted:

The only demographic group with enough name recognition of Cornel West to have any effect on their opinions is college philosophy majors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also people who really have a thing for the matrix movies.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 12, 2015

• Locked thread