Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Kurzon posted:

Is there an adjective that describes something that causes people to become more hostile and adversarial?

Aggravating, controversial, polarizing? What's the context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Aggravating, though technically it's a participle.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

When self-righteous internet types call someone "entitled", what do they mean? (And why don't they just say "an arsehole", which seems to fit all contexts in which I've seen it)

Edit: second question, whose av have I stolen?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Dzhay posted:

When self-righteous internet types call someone "entitled", what do they mean? (And why don't they just say "an arsehole", which seems to fit all contexts in which I've seen it)

In general they mean privileged. Not an ambiguous word, is there a specific example that is on your mind?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kurzon posted:

Is there an adjective that describes something that causes people to become more hostile and adversarial?

Inflammatory can work in that context.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Dzhay posted:

"believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
whoops I misread the question

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Kurzon posted:

I'm referring more to an attitude or philosophy. Racism and religious differences, for instance, can cause people to fight each other.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I'm referring more to an attitude or philosophy. Racism and religious differences, for instance, can cause people to fight each other.

Divisive

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there a thread on the forums for mental health problems.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kurtofan posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336292

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Kurtofan posted:

All of them. :)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How big of a hipaa violation is it for a doctor to discuss medical type stuff with a third party without documentation approving it when the patient him or herself is present?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dzhay posted:

It means "they think they deserve something that they don't."

Which should immediately make you suspicious because it's basically just an empty pointer to whatever the speaker thinks people deserve.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
How do you fast honk?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dzhay posted:

In the context you're hearing it it's generally meaning the 'entitled' person has made assumptions about what they inherently deserve. Usually this is in the form of someone who was lucky about something assuming they were lucky because they deserved to be lucky and that other people therefore must deserve being unlucky. Usually those who 'deserve' to be unlucky happen to be people outside of that person's own demographic.

Kurzon posted:

Abrasive, inflammatory, caustic, volatile, antagonistic, vicious, adversarial, erosive. To name a few.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is there a decent term for music that's, I don't know how to explain it, energetic and in your face? Best I can think of is loud, which has other connotations, or bombastic, which is a bit general. Some (quite goony, sorry) examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxo8RrExLsM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtASYeer8Y&

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
High or Fast Tempo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

AlphaKretin posted:

Is there a decent term for music that's, I don't know how to explain it, energetic and in your face? Best I can think of is loud, which has other connotations, or bombastic, which is a bit general. Some (quite goony, sorry) examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxo8RrExLsM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtASYeer8Y&

Epic

You're looking for Epic Music

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

How big of a hipaa violation is it for a doctor to discuss medical type stuff with a third party without documentation approving it when the patient him or herself is present?

Not a violation at all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

How do you fast honk?

Like with a car? Hit the horn quickly. I do it by kind of jabbing the car horn with my fist but my dad does it with his thumb.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Push your steering wheel to the brink of a toot with three fingers, then tense your muscles to vibrate your arm. Vwahlah.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

Con Brio

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I replace my car stereo with another of the same brand, should I be able to use the same hookups and do it diy easily?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

stubblyhead posted:

It depends on the medical type stuff and who the third party is. Like it's definitely a violation for them to tell the janitor that Jim Smith has cancer, even if Jim is in the room.

edit: to clarify pretty much they can only share what is necessary. That is likely broader than you think it is since I assume you aren't a medical professional. Also there are little HIPAA violations happening all the time so in a lot of places good faith + common sense is the status quo along with a vague knowledge of what HIPAA is in the first place.

turbomoose fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 7, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Totally serious goony-as-gently caress question: do Japanese people say a person's name AT that person as much as they do in video games and anime? Is it related to honourifics or whatever? Or is it just some kind of hack writing?

Even aside from the dramatic shouting, it seems like every question and near every sentence puts the person's name in - even if there's the only other person there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NESguerilla posted:

If I replace my car stereo with another of the same brand, should I be able to use the same hookups and do it diy easily?

Yes, so long as the car itself is fairly new (past 20 years). Older than that and it can start being a hassle.

Make sure you take a photo of how your original head unit was wired up, or otherwise note down where things were connected - this will save you a lot of time connecting the new one!

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Probably but ask in AI.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I have a dumb excel question. I was fairly proficient like 6 years ago, but I can't do simple things now, it seems.

I've got a bunch of steam games data (https://i.imgur.com/xeP25sz.png). How do I make a cumulative area/line chart that shows me how big my collection is getting?

I figure it's a pivot-table -> chart, but I can't work it out :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ugh anyone knows how to get rid of a mouth ulcer fast?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kurtofan posted:

IF you can hit it early and hard enough you MIGHT be able to stop one with a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash and some form of sealant. But if it's already established, them from my experience all you can do is tough it out.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I have a dumb excel question. I was fairly proficient like 6 years ago, but I can't do simple things now, it seems.

I've got a bunch of steam games data (https://i.imgur.com/xeP25sz.png). How do I make a cumulative area/line chart that shows me how big my collection is getting?

I figure it's a pivot-table -> chart, but I can't work it out :(

ask in the excel thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Depends on the age of the car stereo, often times the answer is yes. Even if the answer is no, with google at your side and some common sense (and troubleshooting) you should be able to figure it all out in a half hour's time. Red and black are power. Then there will be several speaker pairs that will all be next to each other and matching colors. i.e. the wire that's brown and the wire that's brown with the black stripe will be one speaker, the wire that's yellow and the wire that's yellow with the black stripe will be another.. so on and so forth. Once you get the speakers hooked up, you'll only have a few wires left and some guessing and some googling will get you there.

Outside of that, yes, I'd say there's a 75% chance the harness will just fit straightaway.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah there is a good drug you can call your dentist to get which will make it go away almost overnight.

I'll ask my wife (Dentist) what the drug name is when she gets home later, I can't recall offhand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

That question is "it depends."

What matter is what make model you have now and what you are going to. Many established brands have a standard connector/pinout....sometimes even past the brand. Others are special snowflakes and what connector depends on which Chinese factory produced that particular model and silk screened their name on it for them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Totally serious goony-as-gently caress question: do Japanese people say a person's name AT that person as much as they do in video games and anime? Is it related to honourifics or whatever? Or is it just some kind of hack writing?

Even aside from the dramatic shouting, it seems like every question and near every sentence puts the person's name in - even if there's the only other person there.

Yes, it's a polite way to refer to someone. It's just a feature of the language that's different to how things are in English.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Boil some water, pour it in a cup, add several heaping spoonfuls of salt and wait until it cools just barely enough that you can stand it. Rinse your mouth with it for 5 minutes. Kills whatever is causing the ulcer overnight.

Don't swallow the salt water. You will vomit, a lot.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

c0ldfuse posted:

Yeah there is a good drug you can call your dentist to get which will make it go away almost overnight.

I'll ask my wife (Dentist) what the drug name is when she gets home later, I can't recall offhand.

Is it Abreva?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Huh. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

VagueRant posted:

It's been a few years since I've studied Japanese, but from what I can recall Japanese really isn't really big on pronouns, so you kind of have to call people by their names unless you want to sound horribly rude. It's not really an honorific thing, that's just kind of how the language works.

OK: So here's my stupid question, does anybody actually eat cream of mushroom soup as just soup?

I mean, I use it for making casseroles, but I've never gone into a restaurant where the soup of the day was Cream of Mushroom. I've volunteered a few times at the local food pantry, and about half the canned goods we got after a canned food drive were cans of cream of mushroom. So I have to wonder who keeps buying them and giving them away.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 8, 2016