Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Andrast posted:

You do know that the Fofg pursuer is optional, right?

(Well it's optional until much much later in the game at least)

I was under the impression that the very first time you see him on the rooftop is optional given that he doesn't come back if you die to him, whereas the fight later on is the actual boss fight against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RhoA posted:

I was under the impression that the very first time you see him on the rooftop is optional given that he doesn't come back if you die to him, whereas the fight later on is the actual boss fight against him.

You don't need to do that either since there is an alternate route to the Bastille.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Snuffman posted:

So how to I get my copy if I was one of those idiots who got the AC: Unity season pass?

No clue, I just woke up one day and it was in my game's library.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Enjoyable platformer Shantae and The Pirate's Curse previously only on Wii U and 3DS is coming to Steam this Friday. https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/590623233881288705

It's good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i just looked up the pursuer and of course they would make the guy you need to fight that many times a boring guy in a big suit of armor with a sword

He's just an rear end in a top hat enemy who's hyper aggressive, does tons of damage, has a lot of HP and appears a bunch at the worst possible time, but you don't actually need to fight him ever, you can run away.

RhoA posted:

No, if you go via Heide's Tower and take the right path, there's an alternate way to the Lost Bastille that bypasses that fight entirely.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Awesome! posted:

i just looked up the pursuer and of course they would make the guy you need to fight that many times a boring guy in a big suit of armor with a sword
Well it's a somewhat interesting fight and I'd say only one of them is kinda required, but you can run away from him. But certain situations that he is put in are just kinda bullshit and seems to have the previously annoying mentality that Dark Souls 2 has where instead of getting creative with anything they just pile on enemies (Bell Gargoyle boss fight). I guess a better example might be near the beginning of the game; you've gone past Majula and head through what would probably be the real starting area. You leave the cave area and head into a lovely valley pass...except instead of the normal hollows, you now suddenly have one of those dumpy trolls guys that will one shot eat you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mung Dynasty posted:

Enjoyable platformer Shantae and The Pirate's Curse previously only on Wii U and 3DS is coming to Steam this Friday. https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/590623233881288705

It's good.
Glad I waited???

This year is peaking too early, between now and the end of May. Ain't gonna be anything exciting to play this fall/winter!!

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Andrast posted:

You don't need to do that either since there is an alternate route to the Bastille.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, if you go via Heide's Tower and take the right path, there's an alternate way to the Lost Bastille that bypasses that fight entirely.

I feel like such an idiot right now. May as well get the upgrade given that I'm going to have to fight him again in the original game anyway.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RhoA posted:

I feel like such an idiot right now. May as well get the upgrade given that I'm going to have to fight him again in the original game anyway.

You can also summon a friend and kill him, or use the ballista to kill him or realize that rolling forward is a good idea and Agility is important. Or skip him. You have options.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's good.

Nice.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Zombie Samurai posted:

Did anyone mention the new Assassin's Creed spinoff that just came out? The fact that it's 2.5D and set in 16th century China got my attention.

It looks loving gorgeous but I'm wondering how deep the gameplay is.

Is this at all similar to Mark of the Ninja? Because I would play the poo poo out of Mark of the Ninja in 2.5D.

Also, all rear end Creed fans need to play Mark of the Ninja.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

Already have it in Russian. Pan Sapkowski speaks Russian, was friends with the late translator, and has recommended the translation quality of the first few books as about equal to the original. I've been told that this is very much not the case for the English translation.

Meanwhile, the Russian translation for the latest book has the "Crown Instigator" (!) tell the city guard that since a crime had been committed, they should round up some suspects.

"The ones we generally do?"

Which is... about the fantastic quality I expect from Russian translations nowadays.
Yeah, these are not books I consider high literature but they are perfect for my 20 minutes bus rides to and from work :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fatty posted:

Is this at all similar to Mark of the Ninja? Because I would play the poo poo out of Mark of the Ninja in 2.5D.

:aaa: It certainly looks that way from the limited UI present and the videos. Granted, the information isn't as neatly presented as in MotN, but still… anything that comes close to the gameplay is a good thing.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
What's the deal with Steam broadcasting, what's wrong with it that caused it to have such a tiny uptake? Is it purely the lack of monetization or is it lovely too?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's just Twitch with less features.

Also yeah, no monetization probably hurt it a LOT. There's no reason for any established streamers to switch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steam broadcasting is fantastic for streaming/watching your friends play something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Andrast posted:

Steam broadcasting is fantastic for streaming/watching your friends play something.

Which is exactly what it's intended for. It's not meant as a twitch replacement, just a way for you to stream what you're playing to friends. It works well, barely has any performance impact and is bandwidth-efficient, so it's good.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I tried it once with a friend and it murdered performance, giving me huge loving hitches every couple seconds. But that was right after it came out so maybe they've improved it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's good.

Cool, all I need now is a date for Axiom Verge and Velocity X2 ports.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i tried to stream tales of maj'eyal for some goon once (who the hell wants to watch someone play a roguelike?) and it just crashed the game and i havent tried it again since then

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Having people wanting to watch you play games must be nice :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBX posted:

Cool, all I need now is a date for Axiom Verge and Velocity X2 ports.
Axiom Verge is coming to Steam, there's just no release date yet.

I'm trying to get back into Child of Light but I forgot that they start throwing in enemies that punish you for interrupting them. Which is the core mechanic of the game. It makes no sense from a design standpoint, since interrupting is the only way you gain an advantage in the battle, since you're often, if not always, outnumbered 3 to 2.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Morter posted:

I wanna watch my friend play GTAV because I am a poor who wants to live vicariously through him (and mock him) and all twitch streamers are the worst people ever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

WetSpink posted:

and all twitch streamers are the worst people ever.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Morter posted:

Oh I don't know. If you can make a living off of it, more power to you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Orv posted:

SH4 has been technically fixed and was a good game from the get-go, Silent Hunter 5 sort of works and has a couple TOs that expand the scope of the game both in navigable water and time period, but just reinstall Grey Wolves and play that.

I wanted to play SH4 but I'm not paying $20 for it since the Steam version is 1.3 and you need the expansion (which brings you to 1.5) to install any mods for it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

It looks loving gorgeous but I'm wondering how deep the gameplay is.
Well, it's an AssCreed game, so not at all.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fatty posted:

It is entirely China Mark of the Ninja.

You get additional points from not killing enemies. There are kill closets/traps/gadgets you can use to help you keep enemies from seeing you, and there are stealth elements similar to Mark of the Ninja. It has so far not even been mentioned she is an Assassin, she's just some angry Chinese lady with a sword.

It's very good. I'm SUPER loving excited now for the one set in India, and particularly the one set during the Russian Revolution.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The developers of Steam's most underrated game Nimbus have a new puzzle game coming in the first week of May: Snakebird

http://store.steampowered.com/app/357300

Looks like a very colorful combination of Snake and Nintendo's Boxboy (3DS eShop game).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 22, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BattleHamster posted:

It would actually be pretty cool if someone could pull off a documentary about shovelware side of indie gaming. I feel like I'd be more interested in that then a documentary about the high-profile experimental games that we've heard about in the media a hundred times over.
I imagine a lot of it is just, "I'm just making games I grew up playing", and that's about that and there's not much creative though put into their game. Sometimes it comes out good and polished, sometimes it comes out like rear end. That's pretty much how indie games have felt for me at times. Sometimes they just re-create something really well. And sometimes that's enough, but I feel like there should be more innovation from that section of games development than there already exists.

I found it really disturbing that this cycle continues. I think we're almost past the stage of infinite indie platformers though. I went to PAX East this year and was instead met by a deluge of side-scrolling beat-em-up's instead. I guess that age bracket grew up and learned to make games. Don't get me wrong, some of them are fun but most of them are just side-scrolling beat-em-ups with co-op and LEVELING FEATURES and some were just more polished than others.

I really doubt indies (or rather, 1-6 person teams) will ever truly tackle stuff like city builders, stealth games, flight sims and certain other genres. Or someone could prove me wrong; a few of those I listed exist, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's good.

It's VERY good. It's the game the first WayForward Shantae wanted to be in a lot of ways.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Axiom Verge is coming to Steam, there's just no release date yet.

Steam page is up for the game, too:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/332200/

Don't have the quote to hand right now, but I think the developer said 'May' for the PC version. So, not too far off.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure how people can live in a world in which everyone has at least one friend that is in or has been in a band, and not understand why there are so many indie developers.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Steam streaming's cool but the chat delay is insane.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

It would actually be pretty cool if someone could pull off a documentary about shovelware side of indie gaming. I feel like I'd be more interested in that then a documentary about the high-profile experimental games that we've heard about in the media a hundred times over.

Might as well be an anti Steam documentary

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Which is exactly what it's intended for. It's not meant as a twitch replacement, just a way for you to stream what you're playing to friends. It works well, barely has any performance impact and is bandwidth-efficient, so it's good.
Unfortunately every time I try to use it all my friends see is a stand-by image while they hear game sound in the background. :(

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Insert name here posted:

Unfortunately every time I try to use it all my friends see is a stand-by image while they hear game sound in the background. :(

this happens if you're not playing in fullscreen i think. cant play in windowed or borderless window.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

mycot posted:

To be fair I could listen to Michael De Santa bitch about kids all day. Something about that voice actor can make anything sound like the funniest thing in the universe.
You can listen to him sell guns to people.

Deakul posted:

Steam streaming's cool but the chat delay is insane.
It just loving loves to pick up Skype voice-chat and loop it back through the broadcast too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Underwhelmed posted:

I'm not sure how people can live in a world in which everyone has at least one friend that is in or has been in a band, and not understand why there are so many indie developers.

The person I know who is in a band is a professional mariachi, does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's good.

Is that the one where they made Shantae white until the internet complained about it?

• Locked thread