Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

genericnick posted:

Also not clear it was a viable strategy then. Corbyn could plausible claim a break with the old guard since they camped out in the Guardian offices and told everyone who would listen that he was an anti-semitic judeo-bolshevik.

yah i'm not saying it would've necessarily worked for miliband, but what he did try (oh god the loving edstone) just blew up in his face in the most spectacular manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

The jewish man who the press made fun of for eating bacon wrong and looking like a weird geek

He was accused of antisemitism lmao

lol the antisemitism "scandal" is wild

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's because he criticised Israel over Cast Lead. No joke, that's what started the whole thing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1168900817371455489

when you've lost the bigoted TV presenter vote

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Will this be the VONC Corbyn once promised for when it least suits BoJo? :ohdear:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

The transformation of politics into a game is finally complete

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1168941657255030785

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Rees-Mogg sounds like a Dana Carvey caricature of a British person.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Probably Magic posted:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

yea and the extent to which the ny times and the new yorker ran with it is disgraceful lol

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Holy poo poo this guy sucks.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Probably Magic posted:

What's wonderful is that he's actually putting it on, so it is a literal caricature. Upper class bastards don't sound like that, they sound pretty much normal but can have you shot if they get bored.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fun parliament facts

its technically not legally possible to resign a seat in the house of commons. once elected you are bound to serve yr term

BUT there are certain offices you can hold that disqualify you from continuing to hold a seat in the commons, so any mp who wants to resign is just given either of 2 of those, which forces them out of the house

because of how those two specific offices are included in the relevant laws, you can be elected to the commons while holding them—you can go office ➡️ mp w/o conflict and hold both, just not mp ➡️ office

this means it is technically possible to be unable to resign a seat in parliament if you resign once, successfully stand for election, resign again w no one else resigning between the first step this one (so you now hold both offices used to disqualify), and are elected again w/o anyone else resigning

one of the two offices is the caretaker of a building that collapsed some time before the 17th century. the other is some sorta forest law person i guess

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It'll be much easier for everyone involved if we hold elections after our Doomsday Machine destroys the sun.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Squizzle posted:

fun parliament facts
I remember reading up on that a while ago and it's such a wonderful capsule of the British political system.

e: just look how pompous these sound:
- Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham
- Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Squizzle posted:

fun parliament facts

its technically not legally possible to resign a seat in the house of commons. once elected you are bound to serve yr term

BUT there are certain offices you can hold that disqualify you from continuing to hold a seat in the commons, so any mp who wants to resign is just given either of 2 of those, which forces them out of the house

because of how those two specific offices are included in the relevant laws, you can be elected to the commons while holding them—you can go office ➡️ mp w/o conflict and hold both, just not mp ➡️ office

this means it is technically possible to be unable to resign a seat in parliament if you resign once, successfully stand for election, resign again w no one else resigning between the first step this one (so you now hold both offices used to disqualify), and are elected again w/o anyone else resigning

one of the two offices is the caretaker of a building that collapsed some time before the 17th century. the other is some sorta forest law person i guess

wait...

is this brexit?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

the other is some sorta forest law person i guess

You get tasked with finally capturing Robin of Locksley

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I just learned Rees-Mogg is a super conservative Catholic

His sister is literally named after the Italian for Annunciation??????

I thought you Brits banned people like him from high office

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1168940059497832448

Atrocious Joe posted:

His sister is literally named after the Italian for Annunciation??????

I thought you Brits banned people like him from high office
He named his sixth child Sixtus

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

british govt works almost exactly like trying to buy a book at foyles used to

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Atrocious Joe posted:

Can't be a such a good Catholic if he bends the knee to a Protestant queen.

(Like, is he even Roman Catholic or is he some kind of Mel Gibson spliter thing that just labels itself Catholic?)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
lol I just found out the debate is broadcast live even in German TV

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i love the house of commons

i hope brexit never ends

Honj Steak posted:

lol I just found out the debate is broadcast live even in German TV

its great tv!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Do I get to say GOODBYE BOJO yet?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
By the way, there's no rule you can make up for how British government works that Americans won't believe.

*One seat in the house of Lords is reserved for the winner of the grand national
*Scottish MPs may not vote if the crown jewels leave the tower of London.
*Some senile old lady has veto power over every single law and owns every swan
*If you don't pay the BBC tax your counciler must cover for you and has permission to flog you thereafter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

By the way, there's no rule you can make up for how British government works that Americans won't believe.

*One seat in the house of Lords is reserved for the winner of the grand national
*Scottish MPs may not vote if the crown jewels leave the tower of London.
*Some senile old lady has veto power over every single law and owns every swan
*If you don't pay the BBC tax your counciler must cover for you and has permission to flog you thereafter

I assume if there's a vote of no confidence, then Boris gets to fight the leader of the Lib Dems to the death on the floor of the House of Commons.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Best quote from Rees-Mogg's wiki

quote:

In July 2017, Rees-Mogg said: "I've made no pretence to be a modern man at all, ever". During the same interview, he commented that he had never changed a nappy, stating: "I don't think nanny would approve because I'm sure she'd think I wouldn't do it properly". The nanny to which Rees-Mogg refers, by name Veronica Crook, was Rees-Mogg's own nanny from age four, when she joined the family in 1965, and is now nanny to his six children.

frankenfreak posted:

He named his sixth child Sixtus

Peter looking like a young Micheal Gove

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
(also as far as i can tell its not being broadcast on german tv at the moment unless its on some obscure 24h news channel)

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lmfao

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

poty posted:

(also as far as i can tell its not being broadcast on german tv at the moment unless its on some obscure 24h news channel)
https://www.phoenix.de/livestream.html

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Remain has secured more than Clarkson. It's now secured the votes of 30-40 year old white American car enthusiasts with a cable subscription!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PostNouveau posted:

I assume if there's a vote of no confidence, then Boris gets to fight the leader of the Lib Dems to the death on the floor of the House of Commons.

the commons is specifically designed to prevent this from happening

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

V. Illych L. posted:

the commons is specifically designed to prevent this from happening
Right. Those lines in front of the benches? A little bit further apart than two swords' lengths! :hist101:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mace shenanigans NOW

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Somebody go lift the mace and dissolve the government or whatever lifting the mace does

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
parliamentary row

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
How's it goin for Boris, "fake it till you make it" Son of John

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's amazing that even in the context of posh pricks, Rees-Mogg is outstandingly condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bepsi jughead