Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Powered Descent posted:

It's very simple. You can play as any of these characters:
  • An extremist environmental activist
  • An extremist capitalist/industrialist
  • An extremist military/survivalist
  • An extremist Christian fundamentalist
  • An extremist mad scientist techbro
  • An extremist dystopian collectivist
  • An extremist milquetoast liberal

All seven of them get quoted in political debates (by a certain type of nerd) to this very day.

Its me, the guy quoting Pravin Lal when people bring up Neuralink.

Except even the cartoon evil MMI of SMAC was a thousand times better than Neuralink lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hasn't most of SA been indexed by google anyway? The few subforums that have always been closed to the public wouldn't be especially valuable.

au contraire, thats whre the gold is

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was going more for, like, historically themed games making any kind of progress/win condition reliant entirely on wholesale conquest and colonization but that too lol

Age of Empires and Civ always had other victory conditions in the default game mode, wonders, artifacts/relics and the space victory and that. And most of the time you're better off doing that rather than the tedium of chasing down every single foe for conquest victory.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tulip posted:

Its me, the guy quoting Pravin Lal when people bring up Neuralink.

Except even the cartoon evil MMI of SMAC was a thousand times better than Neuralink lmao.
my favorite SMAC quote is the one about recon rover rick

quote:

Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony.
We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours--the works.
People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.
pyf smac quotes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Age of Empires and Civ always had other victory conditions in the default game mode, wonders, artifacts/relics and the space victory and that. And most of the time you're better off doing that rather than the tedium of chasing down every single foe for conquest victory.

I always liked how those games did that, it made the game a lot more varied and it meant that winning wasn't always just spamming out the most military units or whatever.

Sometimes those types of games have all this stuff for you to build and do and what not, but than the goal is always yeah just make a bunch of troops and kill everyone else. Think now days those sort of games are a lot better at that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nobody plays those conditions in comp and I think it's total bullshit, if you build a wonder and defend it for a half hour you should win damnit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody plays those conditions in comp and I think it's total bullshit, if you build a wonder and defend it for a half hour you should win damnit.

Competitions, computer or otherwise, seem specifically designed to take all the fun out of games. :colbert:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tuning grok on the cool zone thread

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Beyond earth had a victory where you could build a "liberation gate" and instead of sending armies to fight other forces on the planet you'd teleport them to earth so they could be freed from the burdens of the flesh. They also had one where you could pull in more earth refugees to settle like 10 loving colonies which was pretty good, some alien contact one, and some alien biosphere merging one.

I remember the African, Middle Eastern, and Russian themed factions as playing extremely strong, but the oceanic ones being hard to play because you had to actually move the city to gain territory. A lot of it was pretty clunky tbh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Do you tip 18 or 22% on salvation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tons of churches stopped passing an offering plate and switched to QR codes during COVID.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they have QR codes for the first time for saints and stuff on this year's orthodox calendar. they also print qr codes in the Sunday program they hand out.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I stopped buying indulgences because the machine asks for a tip now, buddy this is like pure profit u dont need a tip

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jesus would tip 20% just before he went full WWE on that table

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gotta donate through the qr code and light my own candle smh you might as well ordain me

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't speak to every version of those games but in AOE 1/2/Mythology its definitely faster to go for conquest and in Civilization 3/4/5 on any setting even close to standard you could get conquest victories thousands of years before the tech for the non-conquest victories was even available. Civ 4 the best window for conquest victory on a lot of settings was "after you get bronze working before people get gunpowder" while none of the science etc victories were possible that early.

There were ways to set up those games so that the alternate victory conditions were better, and Rise of Nations mercifully had "if you have 70% of the map territory it starts a victory timer of just a few minutes" (because Rise of Nations is the best AOE type game), but under the sort of standard settings people killing every unit was virtually always faster than anything else you could do. AOE2 even had a thing for revealing the enemy's map that was specifically designed for situations where you were hunting down like 2 guys.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

my favorite SMAC quote is the one about recon rover rick

pyf smac quotes

quote:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

quote:

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In Civ V you can almost always do conquest fastest in number of turns/in‐game years, the exception being really big maps, but any of the other victory conditions are faster in terms of real time.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:17 on May 19, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Jesus would tip 20% just before he went full WWE on that table

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hell yeah

Platystemon posted:

In Civ V you can almost always do conquest fastest in number of turns/in‐game years, the exception being really big maps, but any of the other victory conditions are faster in terms of real time.

i was big on korea in civ5, if you didnt get into a fight you could send the game win rocket into space in 1850ish

e dumb, civ4->5

goatsestretchgoals has issued a correction as of 09:25 on May 19, 2024

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

mistermojo posted:

the something awful trained chatbot would be a sight to behold

I fine-tuned Falcon 7b to make replies using cspam posts a few months back. It's pretty good but likes to generate posts that would get a knock on my door.

It really, really does not care for hillary clinton.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pooky posted:

I fine-tuned Falcon 7b to make replies using cspam posts a few months back. It's pretty good but likes to generate posts that would get a knock on my door.

Even machines hate Hildawg :hai:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Beyond earth had a victory where you could build a "liberation gate" and instead of sending armies to fight other forces on the planet you'd teleport them to earth so they could be freed from the burdens of the flesh. They also had one where you could pull in more earth refugees to settle like 10 loving colonies which was pretty good, some alien contact one, and some alien biosphere merging one.

I remember the African, Middle Eastern, and Russian themed factions as playing extremely strong, but the oceanic ones being hard to play because you had to actually move the city to gain territory. A lot of it was pretty clunky tbh.

Beyond Earth had a lot of fun ideas but the core gameplay just doesn't really work nearly as well as even regular Civ, and it's got the problems they tripled down on in Civ VI being waaaaay too granular compared to V's refreshing outright Fischer-Price level easily understood UI.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pooky posted:

At some point in the distant future LLMs will be developed that stick "in minecraft" to the end of every sentence. Until then the revolution must wait.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tulip posted:

I can't speak to every version of those games but in AOE 1/2/Mythology its definitely faster to go for conquest and in Civilization 3/4/5 on any setting even close to standard you could get conquest victories thousands of years before the tech for the non-conquest victories was even available. Civ 4 the best window for conquest victory on a lot of settings was "after you get bronze working before people get gunpowder" while none of the science etc victories were possible that early.
Worked for Alexander.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/
lmao

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also some amazing stuff going on at Google:

more great AI help:

spechtie has issued a correction as of 18:01 on May 23, 2024

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Finally, some feelgood cyberpunk https://x.com/typingloudly/status/1793649257490100452

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBzHyCmYEs

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LuxuryLarva posted:

I volunteer a lot so sometimes I meet people who have lost jobs and I met this guy who lost his job at google and he used to work for the google glass division and then he started working in their AI division. After he got fired his girlfriend dumped him. One time when we were volunteering he told me that deer kept eating all the plants in his garden and I told him to get a goose because it would scare away all the deer. He got a goose egg and he got it to imprint on him and now the goose literally just follows him around his yard and it attacks his neighbors and the other day he told me that the goose scared away a date by flying into her and biting her face. I ruined this nerd's life with a goose. Computers should be illegal. Thanks for listening.

I know this was like a year ago, but someone just sent the below to me, and it made me think of it, so I had to :justpost:, sorry.

We now return you to your regular shitposting.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm a WFH goose farmer, Remote Goose Services saves a lot of time since i can check their feed from anywhere

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

thats the good poo poo

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

thats the good poo poo

peep that last paragraph:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

jesus christ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

almost certainly mostly from 4chan

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

almost certainly mostly from 4chan

I actually doubt it, cause 4chan deletes all its content after it falls of the first however many pages, and it seems like the first site you'd put on a DON'T INDEX THIS list.
It's probably old reddit content from before the purge of all the pedo-content, or some other gross, dark corner of an otherwise normal website that got indexed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

spechtie posted:

I actually doubt it, cause 4chan deletes all its content after it falls of the first however many pages, and it seems like the first site you'd put on a DON'T INDEX THIS list.
It's probably old reddit content from before the purge of all the pedo-content, or some other gross, dark corner of an otherwise normal website that got indexed.

it's adtrw