Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phujck
Apr 24, 2010

I keep coming here out of some misplaced sense of history, but I don't /want/ to be here.
I just finished einstein's dreams, which seems halfway between scientific fact and philosophical essay. It's short, and is a series of short scenarios exploring different aspects of time. It was really good, especially the way it presented the real consequences of special relativity in such a fantastical way in the dreams. I actually read this just after finishing my course on special relativity, so I don't know if it'll read differently to someone who hasn't studied it, but I'd recommend it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Proof by David Auburn. Going into it I knew it was vaguely about math and math intellectuals, so I assumed it would be similar to Wit in the way that Wit was unapologetic about its use of John Donne and having moments where, like Vivian, the main characters express how their particular lifelong study has affected their lives. Proof has very little to do with math. Proof is a fairly good family drama. I appreciated the brevity in the story and the memory scenes, but still disappointed that it did not explore how much math mattered to the main characters.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Magicians by Lev Grossman.

Wow. After hearing the premise I wasn't really ready for something that dark and soul destroying. But it was very good. Kind of like The Secret History meets Hogwarts. I loved how essentially it was a fantasy novel about fantasy novels.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, next year.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Hedrigall posted:

The Magicians by Lev Grossman.

Wow. After hearing the premise I wasn't really ready for something that dark and soul destroying. But it was very good. Kind of like The Secret History meets Hogwarts. I loved how essentially it was a fantasy novel about fantasy novels.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, next year.

That's a good way to put it. Like I said, I feel like it kinda faltered at the end, but I'm still planning to read the second one as well. Dunno where they're gonna go from there, but it should be cool.

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov was a very weird way to present a story, or several stories. There's a wonderful 999-line poem at the beginning, and... 160 pages of commentary, most of which has nothing to do with the poem itself. The commentator may or may not be an exiled king from an Eastern European nation... or he might just be a nut. This seems like one of those books you could read in several different ways, with evidence for each approach. Interesting stuff.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna
I finished Less Than Zero over the weekend.

Before that I hadn't read a book in a long time and I never thought I'd really be captivated by one, at least until I read this. It was really intriguing and disturbing, although nothing was really disturbing compared to what I JUST finished reading.

American Psycho was even better than I was expecting. Amazing. Now I have to read Rules of Attraction.

Groan Zone fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 29, 2010

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Firefox Asexual posted:

I finished Less Than Zero over the weekend.

Before that I hadn't read a book in a long time and I never thought I'd really be captivated by one, at least until I read this. It was really intriguing and disturbing, although nothing was really disturbing compared to what I JUST finished reading.

American Psycho was even better than I was expecting. Amazing. Now I have to read Rules of Attraction.

I really like books that have recurring characters. Even if it is a passing reference, it is still fun, especially when the quality of writing is really good (as it is with Bret Ellis)

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

John Jhonson posted:

I just finished Journey to the End of the Night by Celine and it blew me away. I really don't how to describe it, other than incredible. On a related note, I'm considering Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. If anyone has read Celine or some of the more pessimistic works like it, how does ToC stack up?

I haven't read ToC, but I've also read Death on the Installment Plan and North by Celine. They both employ Celine's style of breaking up sentences with ellipses (which was only budding in Journey) and takes a while to get use to, but the feel is the same, and if you enjoyed Journey I can't recommend them enough.

Sherbet
Jan 20, 2010

Read Running With the Demon over my vacation last week and thought it was pretty enjoyable. It was a little weird to be reading a Terry Brooks book set entirely in the modern-day world, and I don't know if it's as good as his Magic Kingdom stuff or the later Shannara series, but I liked it. There were parts that made me think of some of the more magical stuff Stephen King has done, like the whole aura business in Insomnia.

Currently about 650 pages into The Gathering Storm which I finally picked up because it was sitting right there on the library shelf daring me to. Given my frustration with the last few WoT books I'm pleasantly surprised to find this one a bit less sloggish. Maybe it's just because more events are going down as the series reaches an end, but this is much less of an effort to read than Knife of Dreams was.

John Jhonson
Sep 20, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I only read 3 books by Camus and those are the 3 in your post. Where does someone go next?

The Fall is a good one as someone recommended. His essays including The Myth of Sisyphus would be another way to go.

Without Pants posted:

I haven't read ToC, but I've also read Death on the Installment Plan and North by Celine. They both employ Celine's style of breaking up sentences with ellipses (which was only budding in Journey) and takes a while to get use to, but the feel is the same, and if you enjoyed Journey I can't recommend them enough.

I'll look into these, thanks.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Bear in mind that North is the second book in a trilogy; Castle to Castle is the first of them.

Never got round to reading any Miller (only ever seem to see unwanted copies of Sexus and Nexus in stores for some reason), but it reminded me of William Gass' backhanded compliment of Miller, 'Food and Beast Language':

quote:

It is an element in every author's impulse to speech and exposure: the desire to present the worst in oneself in the guise of a gift, as a child feels he has when he's used his pot. Having dined on life Miller makes us a present of what he cannot stomach, that part of the world that only the front half accepted; and in laying his heart bare (as Baudelaire threatened), he has instead dropped his pants; by shaping this enormous stool of words he expects our parental applause; thus Miller's work in this regard (like Celine's throughout) becomes a splendid example of the excremental style.
[...]
They are not written, and do not belong on a page like Pynchon’s; nor are they spoken as Gaddis’s are; nor do they employ the formal oral eloquence of Sir Thomas Browne; they are talked, yarned like a sailor, endlessly gabbed; and his male readers at last must be reminded of the bluff good-fellow voice of the locker-room brag . . . well let me tell you when I saw her huge X, my! it was so Y that I nearly Z’d.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
All I really know about Tropic of Cancer is that my coworker showed me a bit of what he was reading and it was possibly the raunchiest sex scene I'd ever seen. So if you're down with that, have at it!

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FakeHipster posted:

UPDATE: Finished Green Mars. The beginning took some getting used to (the radically different situation on mars) but ultimately I got into it and really really liked it for the same reasons I liked Red Mars: massive universe, believable technology, interesting social dynamics. I really like a book, or a series, that is a world I can step into, and the Mars trilogy is definitely like this.

Just started Blue Mars, and having the same problem as the start of Green Mars, but hoping it will pick up.

I just started Red Mars a couple of weeks ago and I'm finding it pretty interesting, half way through, not a big sci-fi book type but for some reason I really like realistic space colonization stories like this. Do update on how you find the last one because I'll probably have a similar reaction. Bradbury's Martian Chronicles was entertaining in a "it was written 60 years ago, give the guy a break" type deal but clearly doesn't hold up what with all the martians.

To the Einstein's Dreams poster, I tried to do 2 quotes in one and hosed up big time, but this book rules, I'm glad there's another person out there who's read it. I think my favourite one was the time traveller, but they're all loving awesome and plausible realities.

Most recently I finished 'The Sun Also Rises' by Ernest Hemingway and it was alright. I haven't read any of his others but did start A Farewell To Arms before getting distracted by the super lame writing and gave up on it after 2 pages. I'll get back to it sometime and hope it seems better because surely he can't be that bad?? The Sun also Rises was written differently to the first 2 pages of ...Arms so perhaps one of the books is an anomaly, or are they all completely different? I found the being rich and travelling about France and Spain in the 20's vaguely interesting and there were a few really amusing paragraphs about how one feels and reacts after a few drinks towards fuckheads in their group, feelings which still translate today.

The book before that was 2 stories: Dostoevski's The Double and Notes from the Underground. Notes was an entertaining and interesting read, with a little bit of disturbia revolving around a sad sack protagonist. The Double was hosed up though, I think that was written when he was old, and apart from a few good moments it was a real chore to read, the main character was pretty hateful even though on some level you could empathise with his ordeal, it didn't justify his actions. Didn't like it much and don't feel compelled to read Crime & Punishment. Please talk me into it and out of uneducated opinions.

And before that was a really wierd book called The Cry of the Sloth by Sam Savage, about this really horrible writer, ex husband, landlord, pervert, owner of a lame literary magazine... very strange book that I was glad to finish. It was at times humorous but the main character was such a loser (the joke of the story) it was hard to enjoy because he was bordering on psycho. But sort of interesting, I guess, if you like reading about paranoid delusional types.

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 30, 2010

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

inktvis posted:

Never got round to reading any Miller (only ever seem to see unwanted copies of Sexus and Nexus in stores for some reason), but it reminded me of William Gass' backhanded compliment of Miller, 'Food and Beast Language':

"In laying his heart bare...he has instead dropped his pants." Funny and apt. However, Miller wrote the words "dithyrambic cunts," which are some interestingly paired words. Also, the whole oval office taxonomy in ToC is pretty fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sherbet posted:

Read Running With the Demon over my vacation last week and thought it was pretty enjoyable. It was a little weird to be reading a Terry Brooks book set entirely in the modern-day world, and I don't know if it's as good as his Magic Kingdom stuff or the later Shannara series, but I liked it. There were parts that made me think of some of the more magical stuff Stephen King has done, like the whole aura business in Insomnia.

By the end of the Word & Void series he actually manages to tie it into Shannara. Considering the sequel series is actually titled "Genesis of Shanarra" and reveals how our world turned into Shannara.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Quick look at April:

Ti prendo e ti porto via by Niccolò Ammaniti (I'll Steal You Away). Ammaniti connects the problems of childhood and early adolescence with life in small town Italy. I couldn't put it down even though it was quite depressing as nearly all of the characters are hosed up in some way.

Il giorno in più by Fabio Volo (no English translation available). Generic love story fluff piece. Not very profound but entertaining. One thing I didn't like: Volo is constantly name-dropping places, streets and stuff in NYC to look all knowledge-able and wordly (and then he constantly refers to the "skyscrapers of Uptown" when he clearly means Midtown Manhattan.)

caellyndria
Jul 21, 2009
Because I am a woman and victim to impulse buys and shame-inducing girly things, I bought The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell the other day. It's a book about Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City in high school. I read it all in one night, and I gotta say, it was surprisingly, decently good, if somewhat inconsistent with the character designs in the show and the other book. It read much better than her other books too, in terms of style.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I just finished Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I've now read all her novels as well as her unfinished novels. I must say, the heroine of this book, Fanny Price, seemed to be the weakest heroine out of all the books. She stands by her principles, yes, and in that way she is strong, but she defers to everyone else so much, it really annoyed me. In a way she reminded me of Pepper Pots from the Iron Man movie. She was in love with a character the whole time, but never really did anything about it besides do everything for him. Drove me crazy. The 'happy ending' part felt a bit rushed (not really a spoiler since... it's Jane Austen), and somewhat of a stretch. Not my fave by far.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I just finished Dandelion Wine and Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury. Not science fiction, it's semi-autobiographical about being a kid and learning to deal with the realization that he would die, and also about being old and living with the fact that you are no longer young.

They are good enough in a nostalgic, picaresque sort of way. So it really threw me for a loop when at the very end of the second book it took a left turn into the absurd. The book ends with the two main characters (old man and boy) receiving visits from their own penises, who come to have a chat. The old man's comes to say goodbye and the boy's comes to introduce itself. It was a very WTF ending to books about small town quirkiness and perfect summer days and firecrackers and soda fountains and stuff. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

JustAurora posted:

I just finished Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I've now read all her novels as well as her unfinished novels. I must say, the heroine of this book, Fanny Price, seemed to be the weakest heroine out of all the books.

Mansfield Park is my favourite of Austen's books. I think it contains some of her most memorable and unforgivingly portrayed minor characters, like the grasping and hypocritical Mrs. Norris or the lazy, in-a-haze grand dame with her cherished Pug. The romance is the least interesting part and Fanny is mostly an effective lens through which to view a bunch of rich jerks and their circumstances.

Just Aurora posted:

In a way she reminded me of Pepper Pots from the Iron Man movie.

Yeah, I also read books this way. Maldoror reminds me of The Joker from The Dark Knight.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Just finished A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson. Most of it was amazing, some of it I found a little boring but overall a great book about science in general. Should be required reading for high school children and everyone else who hasn't read it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. Excellent zombie book. I had also read the Zombie Survival Guide several weeks earlier.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather. I'm a big fan of Cather's work, but this really isn't Cather at her best. The book focuses on "revitalizing Catholicism in the New Mexico territory" (middle-to-late 19th century) and follows two Catholic fathers as they go about attempting this feat. The problem, I believe, is the scope of the work: Cather tells what amounts to miniature short stories about places within the New Mexico area, without a strong thread that connects the people and events within these highlighted sections of the Southwest. It's interesting, but the narrative structure feels a bit too loose for my taste. Cather tightens things up in the last 30-40 pages, but by that time it's too little, too late.

Pick it up if you're a fan of Cather. If you haven't been exposed to her, grab another one of her pieces as an introduction (O Pioneers! being my favorite).

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Picked this up because another goon mentioned it in this thread months ago and it caught my eye. I flew through it within a day, it's an amazingly easy and fun read. Not quite a deconstruction of the superhero/supervillain comic book myth, but it certainly gets close to hitting that mark. With a dual narrative (a character from each side of morality), there's something of a disjointed storytelling - things are sometimes left out/glossed over as the perspective switches. Frankly, I found this more to be more insightful regarding how the different sides focus really have different mentalities than confusing, but I guess it could be off-putting. Ultimately, by the end of the book I really was rooting for Dr. Impossible and was disappointed by the ending; also, I saw the Lily bit coming from quite a ways away, but I was disappointed at how quickly she was glossed over. I would pick up a sequel in a heartbeat.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Green Crayons posted:

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Picked this up because another goon mentioned it in this thread months ago and it caught my eye. I flew through it within a day, it's an amazingly easy and fun read. Not quite a deconstruction of the superhero/supervillain comic book myth, but it certainly gets close to hitting that mark. With a dual narrative (a character from each side of morality), there's something of a disjointed storytelling - things are sometimes left out/glossed over as the perspective switches. Frankly, I found this more to be more insightful regarding how the different sides focus really have different mentalities than confusing, but I guess it could be off-putting. Ultimately, by the end of the book I really was rooting for Dr. Impossible and was disappointed by the ending; also, I saw the Lily bit coming from quite a ways away, but I was disappointed at how quickly she was glossed over. I would pick up a sequel in a heartbeat.

I loved the hell out of this book and encourage anyone I know that's into comic books to read it. Even if you're not, it's a really well-written, fast-paced book. I loved the HELL out of Dr. Impossible and the "fake" The Pharaoh.

I was particularly amused by Grossman's explanations of glossed-over comic book cliches, like Dr. Impossible's Malign Hypercognitive Disorder (he's evil BECAUSE he's a genius)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does he write anything like his twin brother Lev?

O Rapture
Feb 28, 2007
Just finished The Forge of God by Greg Bear . This 'end of the world' scenario is set in the mid-nineties, and for that reason, was a bit dated. References to a very early internet, the rare laptop "portable" computer, and even the idea of cell phone as a novelty made it difficult to immerse myself in the fiction. It's hard to believe things were so different only 15 years ago.

That said, the characters are believable and the horror visited upon the earth is chilling. Most of the main and even periphery characters end up dead , and you follow each to their particular fate. It was a page-turner, and I blew through the 400+ pages in two days.

On a separate note, finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson just before 'Forge of God.' I thought it was pretty fantastic. On the whole, I find Stephenson a bit more readable (and certainly funnier) than Wm. Gibson. 'Snow Crash' is my second Stephenson novel (I read Diamond Age last summer). I own a copy of 'Cryptomicron' but haven't read it yet. Any recommendations for further reading? Anathem? The Baroque cycle?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

O Rapture posted:

Just finished The Forge of God by Greg Bear . This 'end of the world' scenario is set in the mid-nineties, and for that reason, was a bit dated. References to a very early internet, the rare laptop "portable" computer, and even the idea of cell phone as a novelty made it difficult to immerse myself in the fiction. It's hard to believe things were so different only 15 years ago.

That said, the characters are believable and the horror visited upon the earth is chilling. Most of the main and even periphery characters end up dead , and you follow each to their particular fate. It was a page-turner, and I blew through the 400+ pages in two days.
I read that back in the 90s, and remember really enjoying it for the sheer "oh, gently caress" :aaa: scale of events: no Independence Day "hop in my F-18 and load up my PowerBook with a virus to save the day" cheesy heroics. The aliens were here to gently caress up our poo poo, and they weren't messing about.

I wasn't as keen on the sequel, Anvil of Stars, though. The presentation of the alien worlds and the revelation of the degree of the aliens' utter... well, dickishness was amazing, but having the main cast all be 20-ish and hormonal gave it a naff soap opera feel, and after a while I found myself skipping through the alpha-male power struggles and petty jealousies.

Bear also came up with some godawful (and constantly used) euphemism for sex; "slicking", or something similarly twee. Just call it "loving" and be done with it, for christ's sake. (And it was very 'author-y' to have the cast's cultural references be almost exclusively literary. All the ship names coming from CS Lewis? What, none of this crew of kids wanted to call a ship 'Enterprise'?)

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Xarb posted:

Just finished A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson. Most of it was amazing, some of it I found a little boring but overall a great book about science in general. Should be required reading for high school children and everyone else who hasn't read it.

Almost everything Bryson writes is amazing, so if you liked his writing style at all, just pick one of his books and go for it. Just finished a reread of "In a Sunburned Country" and it makes me want to go to Australia pretty bad.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

O Rapture posted:

On a separate note, finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson just before 'Forge of God.' I thought it was pretty fantastic. On the whole, I find Stephenson a bit more readable (and certainly funnier) than Wm. Gibson. 'Snow Crash' is my second Stephenson novel (I read Diamond Age last summer). I own a copy of 'Cryptomicron' but haven't read it yet. Any recommendations for further reading? Anathem? The Baroque cycle?

I haven't read Forge of God, but have you read Eon, also by Bear? It too is a little dated (Cold War antics) but ultimately it doesn't detract from the story. It's a great book. Reminds me a lot of Rendezvous with Rama in a good way.

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005

O Rapture posted:

I haven't read Anathem but from what I've heard in reviews here and elsewhere it's a solid work by Stephenson. I plan to read it once I'm done with school in a few weeks.

As far as Cryptonomicon and The Baroque Cycle are concerned, they are part of the same story arc, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to read them in either order. I read them chronologically by date written, since the remaining books of The Baroque Cycle hadn't been published at the time I decided to get into Stephenson's longer works. Since you have Cryptonomicon, it might be best to start there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just finished The Magicians, and it really felt like it was two books: before they did their stint at Brakebills South and after. I liked the first book a lot better, I have to say, and I'd be recommending it to my wife with less hesitation if Grossman had just figured out how to wrap it up where Penny shows up with The Button or similar.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Interociter posted:

Just finished The Magicians, and it really felt like it was two books: before they did their stint at Brakebills South and after. I liked the first book a lot better, I have to say, and I'd be recommending it to my wife with less hesitation if Grossman had just figured out how to wrap it up where Penny shows up with The Button or similar.

Really? I loved everything after that. Up until Brakebills South it was really just Harry Potter with sex and booze, then the book got so much more interesting, with more depth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hedrigall posted:

Really? I loved everything after that. Up until Brakebills South it was really just Harry Potter with sex and booze, then the book got so much more interesting, with more depth.

Yeah, the plot was more interesting, but the writing seemed to lose some tightness. Maybe I'll re-read it; the difference in pace between the two halves was a bit jarring, and I was a *little* tired of Quentin's get-it-I-can't-be-happy? deal, so I might not have given the latter part a fair shake.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I especially found the tying up of all the loose ends to be satisfying - Martin Chatwin being The Beast was an awesome twist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hedrigall posted:

I especially found the tying up of all the loose ends to be satisfying - Martin Chatwin being The Beast was an awesome twist.

Yeah, I liked that, but I admit I rolled my eyes a little when Jane Chatwin, too, was someone in Quentin's world. As I think about it more, though, I'm starting to believe that I wasn't focusing enough on the intertwining of the stories -- a peril of reading in 30-minute subway bursts, perhaps -- so I'll queue it up for another visit. Thanks for making me think about it differently!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tailored Sauce posted:

I just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. Excellent zombie book. I had also read the Zombie Survival Guide several weeks earlier.

The Chinese sub commander, Patient Zero, the Aussie astronaut, the army battle (set to Iron Maiden's "The Trooper"), and the bridge scene in Ukraine (or was it Georgia?) would each make fantastic short films.

I'm kind of disappointed that it may become a movie, as there's no possible way to do the book justice without a massive budget and a 5 hour run time.

----------

As for me, I've had a nerdy few weeks.

The Repossession Mambo by Eric Garcia was really entertaining, and bares exactly zero similarity to Repo: The Genetic Opera (which I had seen first) other than the concept of Bio-Repo. So if disliking that movie (or the horrible film adaptation Repo Men) kept you away, give it a shot anyways. It's a short read, and pretty good.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I finally got around to it after years of planning to. I'm sure everyone here knows exactly how great it is.

Your Next-Door Neighbor is a Dragon by Zack Parsons. Thank you so much, Zack, to introducing me to otherkin and vore, making me more repulsed by furries, and bringing the shining light of Super Heaven.

And now I have to decide between Neverwhere, Glamorama, or Pygmy as my next read.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I haven't read Forge of God, but have you read Eon, also by Bear? It too is a little dated (Cold War antics) but ultimately it doesn't detract from the story. It's a great book.

Hahaha, no it isn't.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hahaha, no it isn't.

Well I liked it. <:mad:>

I do admit the first half is better than the second half.

Propskill
Aug 27, 2005
Never send a monster to do a mad scientists job.
The semester is about over so I am on a bit of a reading tirade:

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - took about 50 pages or so for me to settle into the flow of the narrative, but once I got it, I tore through the book in a couple of days. I liked this book alot.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - loved it. It reminded me of Shirley Jackson because of the odd blend of passivity and power in the female characters.

Duchess of Malfi by Webster - I assigned this for my class to design costumes for. They had some interesting reactions to it.

Candide by Voltaire - loved it. I really hope I get to design the opera some day.

The Road by McCarthy - loved it. I cried like a baby at the end, the last book to do that to me was The Time Traveler's Wife. I liked the juxtaposition between the horrible bleakness and the fire and light of the characters. I also like the game I got to play, imagining the boy as god.

The God of Carnage by Yasmina Reza - like it. She is one of my favorite modern playwrights. I like how she shows civilized people de-evolving. She writes the same sort of dissolving in Art.

Next up: The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut; The Laramie Project (my next design gig); and Couture Culture by Nancy Troy.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Gang Leader For a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets by Sudhir Venkatesh - I had to read this for my Violence in America class and write a book report on it. This was the first book I have read for school that I immensely enjoyed. I blew through the entire book in one evening. The book is packed with so much good information on life in the projects, gang life, and an overview of urban poverty. This is one of my new favorite books and I can't recommend it enough to anyone that is even remotely interested in gang crime or urban poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Tony Danza Claus posted:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I finally got around to it after years of planning to. I'm sure everyone here knows exactly how great it is.

Funny, I also just finished this. I usually take a while to finish a book, but I flat out blew through this one, finished it in a few days.

Oddly enough, the Lakeside parts inspired me to pick up Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keilor. I guess it's a good change of pace...