Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Perhaps the shortlist is a % cut of the full list and they got slammed with lovely entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Here are some hawks (Red Tail, Northern Harrier, Northern Harrier, and another Red Tail). Not the greatest, but alright for morning walking around.

DSCF9616 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr
DSCF9655 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr
DSCF9666 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr
DSCF9802 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Dread Head posted:

You are not joking, some are not even close to being sharp/in focus...
They don't look great on the website because they only upload them at 990x660px (and with borderline jpeg compression) then the website proceeds to upscale them massively to fit your screen (then zoom to x5.5 if you click again). It's the same if you look at last years winners but the book they published shows they're actually sharp. The book last year had ~230 images in it, so I suspect the shortlist isn't far off the book selection.

However I would agree there some weaker ones in there, such as the Red Cardinal photo that's standard Flickr-fare, I'm not I'd go far as to say 'lots'. The portrait category does have the most that are fairly standard but I think to an extent that's a function of the category. The moment the bird or photography does something interesting it ends up in a different category...

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Here are some more pictures of birds.

DSCF9885 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0141 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0106 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0074 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0037 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0025 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0016 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Still working on getting used to this big rear end lens. Question - I have read both pros and cons but do you all leave your lens stabilization on past 1/500 while panning and tracking birds? I have read that it is possible to get sharper images leaving it off and haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I live in central nj so I was shocked to see that I got a bald eagle since I had no idea any nested such a short distance from my house. I talked to a birding person and she said that a couple eagles had, in fact, nested on someone's property nearby. It was pretty far off and at the time I didn't even know that's what it was - it was only after I got it in lightroom that I saw what it was. So here are the problems I am finding. The harrier shot, for example, was at 1/320 and missed a bunch of shots because although it was really, really close to me my shutter was too slow to freeze the action. With the eagle, I was shooting 1/1000 and under exposing to try to keep the iso down but that made it so there was a LOT of shadow recovery to do in post and it got grainy because of that (it was basically a sillouette). With the other photos, it was rainy and not that light out but I set the shutter to 1/1000 - this bumped my iso up to max. So I am trying to figure out my settings and I think the answer is to just keep trying so I learn when to use what settings. I am comfortable with my settings outside of birding but with the smaller apertures and longer lens I am finding it different enough that I am going to really relearn things to be able to get better results.

Anyway here are some shots from a rainy morning on Thursday (the Harrier is from Wednesday)

DSCF4082 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF4455 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF4488 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF4651 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF4690 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Rio, I think many of us shoot in Aperture-priority mode with Auto-ISO configured with minimum shutter speeds and a maximum ISO cap, which may help you solve your problem. Find out what the sweet-spot for sharpness is with your lens in terms of aperture and generally have it set there. I'm noticing that your aperture, ISO, and shutter speed are varying between almost every shot, and that's going to make it hard to get consistent results (and more importantly, consistent results you can learn from by changing one or two things at a time rather than letting your camera change lots of things automatically)

Generally with these longer lenses I have found that as long as there is enough light it's best to shoot at 1/1000s or faster (I almost always shoot at 1/1600s or 1/2000s with my 200-500mm lens).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah find out what aperture your lens is sharpest at, shoot at that aperture with a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000 and let auto-ISO sort it out if you don't want to manage that yourself as light changes.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Unfortunately, the minimum shutter speed setting of the X-T1 (which rio and I both use) is 1/500, which is a little too slow to stop motion in some instances. I have been shooting with aperture priority trying to stat around 7.1 or 8.0, but I don't have much a basis for this aperture.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

accipter posted:

Unfortunately, the minimum shutter speed setting of the X-T1 (which rio and I both use) is 1/500, which is a little too slow to stop motion in some instances. I have been shooting with aperture priority trying to stat around 7.1 or 8.0, but I don't have much a basis for this aperture.

edit: Here are some metrics on the resolution of the XF 100-400 at varying focal lengths and apertures: http://www.lenstip.com/475.4-Lens_review-Fujifilm_Fujinon_XF_100-400_mm_f_4.5-5.6_R_LM_OIS_Image_resolution.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

accipter posted:

Just change that in the settings? I'm sure you can.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Just change that in the settings? I'm sure you can.

The allowable maximum minimum shutter speed ranges from 1/4 to 1/500.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, I have been trusting the camera more and using aperture priority. I am having a hard time letting go of shutter speed though - I just want to change it as often as I can to keep my ISO as low as possible and if I see a stationary bird I don't want to shoot it at 1/1000 and have the ISO cranked up when I don't need to...at least I am getting used to adjusting the shutter knob by feel and it is pretty easy to do, but automation would be nice.

Question - I have seen some phenomenal photos of owls here - are some owls out in good light? I went out to shoot some short eared owls and they all didn't come out until the last 1/4 of sunset...it got dark so quickly and although the autofocus kept up amazingly (so happy with the af on the x-t2) trying to catch them flying with that little light had be at 12800, and towards the end I had to drop down to 1/500. It was still fun but the results look messy. Also, I hate to say it but now I think I need the 1.4 teleconverter...600 equivilent is not getting me close enough and I am having to crop way in (again, so happy with the X-T2...I can crop in so far and still have a usable, if crusty image). Here are a few from tonight.

DSCF5070 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF4880 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5134 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're having such issues with ISO that you feel the need to micromanage the shutter speed to drop the ISO, the 1.4 TC is going to make your images pretty awful. SEO are mostly out at dawn and dusk as these are the times their primary food source is out and foraging.

I find it funny how similar your images are to my own owl shots re: the background. I take it you aren't in Vancouver because I've never seen that MCPC sign.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

rio posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I have been trusting the camera more and using aperture priority. I am having a hard time letting go of shutter speed though - I just want to change it as often as I can to keep my ISO as low as possible and if I see a stationary bird I don't want to shoot it at 1/1000 and have the ISO cranked up when I don't need to...at least I am getting used to adjusting the shutter knob by feel and it is pretty easy to do, but automation would be nice.
My camera has a "multi-function button" on the front that I can bind anything to. I have it bound so that the camera switches between my two favourite settings (AV with slow shutter speed versus TV at 1/2000). I have no idea if this is a common feature for bodies.

quote:

Question - I have seen some phenomenal photos of owls here - are some owls out in good light? I went out to shoot some short eared owls and they all didn't come out until the last 1/4 of sunset..
There are some owls like the snowy, pygmy, hawk owl that will hunt all day, others like SEO or LEO that you might catch at sunrise or sunset, and then nocturnal owls that can be found during the day because other birds in the area are making a ruckus. Finding some owls is incredibly weather dependent around here. For my Great Greys, I'll be out looking as soon as the temperature starts to go around -30C. The cold forces the owls to hunt 24/7. I've found barred and great horned owls hunting all day at these temperatures as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

There are some owls like the snowy, pygmy, hawk owl that will hunt all day, others like SEO or LEO that you might catch at sunrise or sunset, and then nocturnal owls that can be found during the day because other birds in the area are making a ruckus. Finding some owls is incredibly weather dependent around here. For my Great Greys, I'll be out looking as soon as the temperature starts to go around -30C. The cold forces the owls to hunt 24/7. I've found barred and great horned owls hunting all day at these temperatures as well.

Very weather dependent and location dependent. The Short-Eared hotspot(s) north of Seattle can have birds at any time of day, but often have multiple birds even several hours before. I've observed Short-Eared owls in other places, but only right at dusk.

Pygmy can and will be visible/active throughout the day at times. I went on a hike a couple years ago and encountered three just sitting out in the open during the middle of the day.

Content:

Yellow-Billed Loon 3 by Josh, on Flickr

Short-Eared Owl by Josh, on Flickr

Harlequin Duck In Flight by Josh, on Flickr

Harlequin Duck by Josh, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

If you're having such issues with ISO that you feel the need to micromanage the shutter speed to drop the ISO, the 1.4 TC is going to make your images pretty awful. SEO are mostly out at dawn and dusk as these are the times their primary food source is out and foraging.

I find it funny how similar your images are to my own owl shots re: the background. I take it you aren't in Vancouver because I've never seen that MCPC sign.

Nope, I'm in Lawrenceville NJ. When I moved here one of the pluses is that my condo is right at the end of a dead end street and there is a park there - walk through that park and you end up in all of this protected land. Tons of wildlife, and some of it comes to visit outside my back window. I saw an albino deer just about 10 feet from me yesterday!

The ss micromanagement is just in low light, which happens to be about half the time I go out birding to see what comes out around sunset. The rest of the time though I would love to have that extra reach.

Thanks guys for the owl info.

I have another question - do you all usually just use auto white balance? There seem to be so many variables with lighting compared to shooting people (different times of day, sky colors, bird colors vs. knowing what skin tones should look like).

I know they are super common but I was hoping to see some turkey vultures around since they look so badass, and today there were a bunch right outside flying low over the parking lot and perching on the roof. This is also what had me wondering a bit about white balance. In the second shot the head ended up better - the red is much more appealing to me there.

DSCF5203 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5208 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rio posted:

I have another question - do you all usually just use auto white balance? There seem to be so many variables with lighting compared to shooting people (different times of day, sky colors, bird colors vs. knowing what skin tones should look like).
Yes, because with RAW I can always adjust the white-balance in Lightroom later (which I often do).

Never saw a need to mess with white balance in the field.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I ended up getting the teleconverter and am glad I did. Had a little trip to the ER so I haven't had a ton of time to use it but here are some birds that came to visit outside my flat. And a swan from the park.

DSCF5604 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5601 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5561 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5510 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5539 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5221 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

rio fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 4, 2017

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
DSCF0272 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0299 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0415 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0430 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0454 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

A pair of peregrines soared down wind and made one fast pass. This was the best of the bunch, but it was the last of a burst and terribly framed.

DSCF0467 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
So many good photos!

I had a good bird day. I've been putting in a lot of time with my setup and starting to get a feel for it. Better yet, I am having a good time doing it.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 6, 2017

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Superb Owl Sunday was a success!
Went down to Calgary over the weekend, my sister was wanting to go look for owls as there's been shittons all over the city this past month. Went to a park that was said to have Long Eared Owls, walked over 5km in the snow at -17 and when we finally got back to where we parked we found this GHO less than 50 feet from the car...

Great Horned Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

neckbeard posted:

Superb Owl Sunday was a success!
Went down to Calgary over the weekend, my sister was wanting to go look for owls as there's been shittons all over the city this past month. Went to a park that was said to have Long Eared Owls, walked over 5km in the snow at -17 and when we finally got back to where we parked we found this GHO less than 50 feet from the car...

Beautiful!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
drat fine picture.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Nice GHO shots! I've recently started meeting up with a local birders group and they've keyed me in on a GHO within a few miles of my place. Just need to make the time to go now.

I went out both days this past weekend and got a few decent shots out of it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Grackles are so cool. I probably should clean my windows because these could have been sharper.

DSCF6469 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6476 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6475 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Here's another fluffy bird. I think it is a song sparrow but because of the puffyness I'm not sure.

DSCF6090 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Also is shooting birds at the zoo cheating? I am pretty sure it is cheating. But very fun.

DSCF6271 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6292 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6299 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3145 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3152 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6318 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rio posted:

Grackles are so cool. I probably should clean my windows because these could have been sharper.

rear end in a top hat trash birds that occasionally make me take down my feeder for months at a time because they start arriving in huge flocks and live at the feeder eating everything. :(

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Tilden Turkeys-9440 on Flickr

Tilden Turkeys-9510 on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Tilden Park? I used to take pictures of the turkeys in the Mountain View Cemetery before I moved to the Peninsula.

I will post pictures of Snowy Plovers from yesterday after I go through them, but I wanted to get this posted ASAP.

DSCF1058 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is that ... poop?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rio posted:

Is that ... poop?

Have you read the title of the thread? :v:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

Tilden Park? I used to take pictures of the turkeys in the Mountain View Cemetery before I moved to the Peninsula.

I will post pictures of Snowy Plovers from yesterday after I go through them, but I wanted to get this posted ASAP.

Yup- we went to the Tilden Nature Center to check out the Golden Gate Audubon centennial exhibit (probably not worth a trip in itself, but it's cool to know we have a 100 year old bird conservation organization in the area) , and the farm animals are right there next to the nature center. There were a few big male wild turkeys just chilling in the sheep area. One male kept harassing one of the other males- it was pretty funny, the male would just try to chill on a fence, and the other male would jump up on the fence, but there would be a fence post in between, so he'd have to jump down and then jump back up in the right section, at which point the first male would jump down and wander over to a different part of the fence then jump back up. This repeated 5 or 6 times while we were watching.

By the way- for any of you guys who are eBirders (or if you aren't but want to contribute bird ID sightings), a reminder to submit observations this weekend as part of the Great Backyard Bird Count

Tilden Turkeys-9529 on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Here are some Snowy Plovers Sanderlings from Pescadero CA. I sat on the beach for a long time watching them fly around and get chased by the waves.

DSCF1333 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF1340 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF1349 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF1354 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF1385 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF1392 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF1401 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

accipter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 19, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of Sanderlings! (not snowy plovers)

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

That's a lot of Sanderlings! (not snowy plovers)

Thanks! I was a little suspicious of the identification, but I didn't see Sanderlings when I went through Sibley the first time.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was in Stockholm last week and watched this coot systematically make a number of different swans his personal bitches. My 80kg dog is scared of swans but this 400g bird gives no fucks.

IMG_4963.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

I was in Stockholm last week and watched this coot systematically make a number of different swans his personal bitches. My 80kg dog is scared of swans but this 400g bird gives no fucks.

IMG_4963.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Coots give no fucks- they kick the poo poo out of each other and peck their own kids to death. I'm picturing this one hopping on a swan and yelling "To War!"

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That coot owns (that swan)

Met a bluejay yapping its face off at all the other bluejays today.

DSCF6656 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6665 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF6678 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
This owl is a little underexposed. I guess I'll have to fix it in post.

I also wonder how many goons were in Massena, NY this weekend. There were quite a few candidates, but grownups can't really ask about stairs.

I said I'll fix it in post.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Farm goose with some survival instinct still going- it spotted a soaring hawk way the hell up in the sky.

I spy with my little eye-9284 on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I am now in the fold.