Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

A5H posted:

What the hell is P? Full auto?

Yeah, it's the setting that finds the middle ground of both your aperture and shutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Perfect Mode.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sweet. Gonna use it from now on :cool:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

You guys are still setting dials? I don't even put batteries in anymore.

You still use a body?! Hah! I just whip out a piece of film super quick and then put it away. Perfect exposure every time :smug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A5H posted:

What the hell is P? Full auto?
For serious?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

For serious?

Yeah. I've never actually used it on my 7D. And I thought maybe it was 'creative auto' that people were on about earlier. I don't think my 350D had a 'P'? And if it did I've not used it for years.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pro mode

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

A5H posted:

Yeah. I've never actually used it on my 7D. And I thought maybe it was 'creative auto' that people were on about earlier. I don't think my 350D had a 'P'? And if it did I've not used it for years.

It automatically sets both aperture and shutter speed whilst letting you decide on ISO and Flash and other options.

Like one step of automation above Av and Tv. Im pretty sure your 350D would have had it. Hell I've got 20 year old canon's with it and my 400D did.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Since we're posting old camera ads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rj5-49IW_U

I am going to drive around with my Pentax hanging from my rear-view mirror, and dangerously pass inexplicably-slow-driving Nissan Z-cars on narrow winding highways.

The only SLR ads I can remember were print, generally in National Geographic. Canon has run at least one full-page "Wildlife as Canon sees it" type ad in every issue of NG since the 1980s, according to this.

EDIT: Program mode, under various names, is older than consumer autofocus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdmVgugP1NU&NR=1

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 24, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
If you guys are interested, I'll see if I can snag a pile of the old 1950s-1980s ads and promo material and scan 'em before she ends up throwing them out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

If you guys are interested, I'll see if I can snag a pile of the old 1950s-1980s ads and promo material and scan 'em before she ends up throwing them out.

That is a thread that needs to happen.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yes, absolutely. And try to convince her to put some of it up on ebay as a bundle, somebody will want it.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fists Up posted:

Like one step of automation above Av and Tv. Im pretty sure your 350D would have had it. Hell I've got 20 year old canon's with it and my 400D did.
As a previous owner of a 350D I can confirm this. It definitely has a P mode and I've used it. Mostly while I've been travelling and can't be bothered to take the time to make each shot an artistic masterpiece.

Also P is for Pro. :smug:

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 24, 2011

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I think it's the Tokyo Camera Style guy, got a bunch of old Japanese photography magazines and posts occasional scans of photos and ads from them http://japancameramag.tumblr.com/

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a TV ad for an SLR before, maybe it's just been too long.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHyHfuc53s
Shoot like a pro with guide mode! :suicide:

I'm vaguely unsettled by the fact that the narrator sounds like the digitalrev host..

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: Program mode, under various names, is older than consumer autofocus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdmVgugP1NU&NR=1

Cameras were more rugged back then, not all plastic-y and gross.

Same thing goes for Jenner.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember a photog I really liked. It's a chinese guy who dresses up in a mao costume and photographs himself in front of major world monuments. Ring a bell with anyone?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm trying to remember a photog I really liked. It's a chinese guy who dresses up in a mao costume and photographs himself in front of major world monuments. Ring a bell with anyone?

Never heard of him, but now I am definitely interested!

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002
One thing P mode gets you vs. shutter/aperture priority modes is how the camera does exposure on a scene when using a flash.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=106

quote:

Balanced-fill flash can also easily be done when you’re indoors, or outdoors at night. In a typical flash snapshot in these conditions, we’re used to seeing a brightly-lit subject, with a black or nearly-black background. This happens because the ambient light in the room or in the scene was underexposed, but the flash illumination on the subject was correct. To get a more natural-looking, balanced-fill result in these scenes, we need to extend the exposure so that more ambient light is recorded in the scene.

This means one of three things, or a combination of them: raise the camera’s ISO setting, and/or shoot at wider lens apertures (a lower f/number), and/or shoot at slower shutter speeds. Again, EOS digital SLRs can automatically perform this task for you. The simplest way is by changing your exposure mode to the Av mode, or the Tv mode (in the latter case, you must also select a fairly slow shutter speed). In either mode, the camera will always try to properly expose the ambient light in your background, no matter how dark it is – if your chosen settings won’t allow this, the speed or aperture (whichever you’re not setting) will blink on and off in your viewfinder. And keep in mind that none of this is possible in P (Program) mode, or the full-auto “green zone” setting. In those modes, to avoid possible blurs, the camera never allows shutter speeds slower than 1/60th of a second when you use a dedicated flash.

I use it when I'm taking ~club shotz~

Air quotes by tetradtx, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Never heard of him, but now I am definitely interested!

Here we go: Tseng Kwong Chi

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Awkward Davies posted:

Outstanding.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Awkward Davies posted:

I've always wanted a kim jong il costume, I keep looking for that freaking jacket.

Anyways, who thinks I should buy all this dude's stuff and start a budoir photography studio. I mean, c'mon Zebra rug. It's probably very clean.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pho/2283967758.html

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

Awesome

Died of AIDS in 1990 though :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Baller as gently caress

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I've always wanted a kim jong il costume, I keep looking for that freaking jacket.

Anyways, who thinks I should buy all this dude's stuff and start a budoir photography studio. I mean, c'mon Zebra rug. It's probably very clean.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pho/2283967758.html
When I lived in Vancouver, there was an elderly couple from China across the street, sometimes they'd take walks together in what I refered to as their Cultural Revolution Jackets - matching all-brown, very neat wool jackets without any logos or labels. A Kim Jong Il costume would be all kinds of excellent, you need to get on this (and figure out the hair).

That seller is probably not a dude:

quote:

I am selling my business because I am now homeschooling my kids.
Military wife, probably took mainly pictures of other military wives to send to their husbands on overseas postings. Just my guess. If this is true, then the stuff is probably reasonably clean.

Personally, I think a boudoir studio would be an excellent asset for homeschooling - just think how much the kids could learn!

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

ExecuDork posted:

When I lived in Vancouver, there was an elderly couple from China across the street, sometimes they'd take walks together in what I refered to as their Cultural Revolution Jackets - matching all-brown, very neat wool jackets without any logos or labels.

Say what you will about most totalitarian regimes they usually have style when it comes to the cut of their jackets.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ZoCrowes posted:

Say what you will about most totalitarian regimes they usually have style when it comes to the cut of their jackets.

A relative in China brought my family back a huge red army overcoat lined with wool. It's like walking around in a massive wool blanket, it's amazing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
A flickr contact who I didn't remember posted new photos recently:

Untitled by Aslan Chalom, on Flickr

Is this nodtlar back from the dead?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Baller as gently caress

Reminds me of a professor I had, Zig Jackson:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

What's the IRC channel you guys hang out on?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Paragon8 posted:

What's the IRC channel you guys hang out on?

#creatives on synirc.net

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

brad industry posted:

Reminds me of a professor I had, Zig Jackson:

I love how the first line on the sign is "No picture taking."

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
Okay I am probably just doing something wrong I think.

I've been uploading my stuff to flickr using Lightroom, but it only goes up to the "Large" size when I go and look at it. I've seen some of the stuff people post in "Original." How do I upload it and maintain the crazy resolution?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Crawford posted:

Okay I am probably just doing something wrong I think.

I've been uploading my stuff to flickr using Lightroom, but it only goes up to the "Large" size when I go and look at it. I've seen some of the stuff people post in "Original." How do I upload it and maintain the crazy resolution?

you need flickr pro

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You need to be a "pro" flickr user to display anything larger than "Large". The upgrade also gives you unlimited filesize uploads (vs. 100 MB / month) and lets you keep more than 200 pictures up.

They don't tell you about these restrictions on the free flickr account when you sign up (at least, I didn't see them, maybe they were buried in some fine legalese-print somewhere), but they tell you about the 200 pictures thing when you hit about 175 in your photostream.

e,f,b

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
I will probably be investing in Pro soon, then.
Gotta have that masturbatory pixel-peeping resolution. Also al ready at like 10% of the photo cap. I knew this free poo poo was too good to be true.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crawford posted:

I will probably be investing in Pro soon, then.
Gotta have that masturbatory pixel-peeping resolution. Also al ready at like 10% of the photo cap. I knew this free poo poo was too good to be true.

Picasa lets you upload at whatever resolution you want, but only get 1GB for free.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I limit all my uploads to like 1500px long edge anyway. I'm not sure exactly what I have against uploading full resolution to flickr other than (my) stuff very rarely looks AMAZING 1:1.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I usually limit my Lightroom exports to 1800px long edge, sometimes smaller (1200 or 1000). Like Martytoof, I'm not really sure why but I think it's probably that I don't really want people looking at my stuff at 100%. There's a pretty significant trade-off between filesize and resolution, with a fairly modest increase in resolution coming at the cost of much larger filesizes (I'm a big dork and I'm going to go ahead and assume this is because pictures are areas, so a change in long-edge length becomes a square difference and the relationship between long-edge and filesize is exponential, not linear).

Anyways, once you upgrade to pro (should you choose to do so), the pictures you've already uploaded will magically become viewable at Original resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I actually limit at 1000px long edge for web uploads, especially with facebook.

I think some people actually use flickr as a primary backup though, so that's what the original res is for I suppose.