Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Maxwell Lord posted:

They should have compromised and said Grenada.

Hello Mongo
Hello Vader
Pitbull left me
In Grenada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Grenada invasion was successful, in that the Marines didn't sink the island with their body weight.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

quote:

Kevin Sullivan brought in a new heel called The Man of Question from the Isle of Nowhere

WWE needs to bring back this gimmick.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Last time the general public cared about wrestling was when you had two-three promotions that were competitive and thus driven to be original. Also, never disregard the power of a name - the WWF was a powerful abbreviation, and a great portion of said general public still thinks wrestling is equal to the World Wrestling Federation, they wouldn't know what the WWE is at all. In a way, the Padnas and their name dispute are more responsible for wrestling not being more popular, than John Cena. When analyzing the popularity of wrestling, you need to get to the most basic things. If the WWE went back to their WWF name, you'd see an increase in popularity just from that, not a major increase, but it wouldn't go unnoticed.
I hadn't been watching wrestling for about eight years, and when I came back, Sheamus was champ. I was shocked. And Cena is the kind of wrestler I would always hate - I was that kid who liked Jericho and Raven. Last summer, with CM Punk, the WWE had a major opportunity to get into the mainstream in a big way, present itself with a new poster boy: tattoos, rebellious attitude, alternative lifestyle, doesn't look like he's on the juice and could be a genuine badass and a role model at the same time. He's a safe bet because he's drug free and a comic book nerd, which is like hitting the jackpot in a time when 'nerd' and 'geek' are considered as positive and trendy things. The face of a new generation and a new boom period. They've only used a fragment of that, and now with the mega heel angle, it reminds of when DDP or Goldberg were heels.
So, what today's WWE and WCW in its decline have in common is a lack of direction and long-term planning, angles that don't finish, and not using their performers' full potential. But, they don't have any rivals, so this is as good as it gets.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Steve Austin appeared on the 9/23 ECW house show in Middletown, NY and will make his first appearance on the television show this coming week.

Austin, fired on 9/15 by WCW, is still about six weeks away from getting back in the ring because of a torn tricep suffered while on a tour with New Japan. Austin, who will be billed as "The Extreme Superstar," a combination spoof on WWF calling all its wrestlers Superstars and perhaps as a modern day Billy Graham, is no doubt going to be pushed as ECW world champion as soon as they can viably get the belt on him. As of this point, there are no serious negotiations that I know of between Austin and All Japan, which would enable Austin to remain long-term with ECW and still make a major league living at wrestling. Obviously his long-term tenure in ECW will be based on whether or not either the group improves itself to the point he can make a competitive living with it, or he can use ECW as a supplement to a regular Japan gig. In his first television interview, Austin mocked Hulk Hogan by calling himself "The Stevester" and that "Steve-o-mania" was running wild and said that it was unfortunate that he wasn't a good enough wrestler to get past mid-card in WCW.

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

No but seriously, Austin in All Japan in the 90s. Wow, that would have been awesome if he could have gotten a Steve Williams / Stan Hansen push.

edit: I read this and thought "Huh, is Ramon already on his way out? Why is he jobbing. Surely not."

quote:

4. Dean Douglas (Troy Martin) pinned Razor Ramon (Scott Hall) in 14:53. Bob Backlund came out and introduced Douglas and stayed in his corner and was his manager, perhaps only for this night. Ramon looked good but some of Douglas' offense looked weak. They went to near falls and there was a ref bump. Douglas missed a splash off the top and Ramon used the Razor's edge on him. Backlund continued to hold the ref to keep from turning around and counting. At this point 1-2-3 Kid did a run-in and counted the fall. When Ramon turned around and saw that it was Kid and not the ref who counted the fall, he shoved Kid out of the ring. Douglas then came from behind with a rolling reverse cradle for the pin. The shove looked great but the cradle couldn't have looked more sloppy. After the match, Ramon and Kid had a pull-apart with the agents. **1/4

then I read this:

quote:

ALL JAPAN
(removed stuff about how awesome Misawa / Taue was, file it away under "poo poo we already know.)
Razor Ramon has been trying to negotiate a full-time gig here.

Oh.... oh..... oh.

double edit:

Oh snap. :smug:

quote:

WCW banned all banners and placards at the Nitro tapings after what happened in Johnson City. In Johnson City, I guess figuring something could be up, the ring announcer before they went on the air said for everyone to make noise and show us your signs. The thought police then confiscated signs they thought were offensive. Among the signs confiscated were: "Hogan rules," "Malenko vs. Guerrero--Mat Classic," "Who's the Man? Paul Orndorff. Just ask Vader," and "WCW Get a Clue. Read the Observer." To avoid this problem, on 9/25 in Florence outside the building they confiscated all signs and banners and had signs around the buildings saying no banners allowed in the building.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 28, 2012

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Rad R. posted:

So, what today's WWE and WCW in its decline have in common is a lack of...long-term planning

WWE always has WrestleMania booked at least six months in advance. We know this through leaked cards (two years ago, to the podcast I do) and we have the same reasons to believe that they have this year's planned also. You can't assume this sort of thing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, WWE has Cena / Rock, Punk / Taker, Triple H / Lesnar planned, but that's it. We're not talking SMW where you had entire cards planned sixth months in advance

But his point is still correct, you should have every card planned in advance, not just Mania.

edit: And this is based upon the builds to PPVs changing week to week. Back in the old days, you'd have the entire card announced, and you'd build to it.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 28, 2012

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Every now and then the dirtsheets post news about the WWE doing things 'on the fly', especially with Raw, which often changes stories hours before the show. Didn't they add John Cena to the Survivor Series main event, and change SS teams as well? WCW didn't even have a standing point like WrestleMania.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rad R. posted:

Every now and then the dirtsheets post news about the WWE doing things 'on the fly', especially with Raw, which often changes stories hours before the show. Didn't they add John Cena to the Survivor Series main event, and change SS teams as well? WCW didn't even have a standing point like WrestleMania.

Starrcade was their WrestleMania.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Well yeah, technically. And one of the biggest Starrcades was in '97 with Hogan vs. Sting, and that had a messy ending.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Rad R. posted:

Well yeah, technically. And one of the biggest Starrcades was in '97 with Hogan vs. Sting, and that had a messy ending.

The beginning of the end.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Has anyone heard of WCW Boston Brawl? It was an Internet only PPV on January 31, 1998 (1998!) which seemed to have a decent card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Brawl_%281998%29

Has anyone watched this show? Did WCW ever release it on VHS?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have a vague recollection of the Jericho/Malenko match being good, but that could be any Jericho/Malenko match, really.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Boston Brawl was an internet ppv in as much as it was supposed to be basically a radio show broadcast on the internet. Pay-per-listen, if you will.

I think their server might have actually crashed, but I can't remember.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

Boston Brawl was an internet ppv in as much as it was supposed to be basically a radio show broadcast on the internet. Pay-per-listen, if you will.

I think their server might have actually crashed, but I can't remember.

I was picturing people watching a PPV with RealPlayer.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Was that the show that was so bad at the end of it the fans started chanting Vince McMahon?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I remember getting a free stream of Boston Brawl. Didn't something ridiculous happen like the cage fell down or something?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I thought that was the show where video went out so everyone ended up just listening to it, but someone said it was pay-per-listen and a google bears that out. I'd always read that was a glitch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I remember getting a free stream of Boston Brawl. Didn't something ridiculous happen like the cage fell down or something?

I'm pretty sure one of the cage walls broke somehow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I thought that was the show where video went out so everyone ended up just listening to it, but someone said it was pay-per-listen and a google bears that out. I'd always read that was a glitch.

It was definitely always a pay to listen. At the time I was like "WOW, THE FUTURE IS NOW!" I didn't actually order it, but an internet audio stream of a show sounded so cutting edge.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That reminds me of how one time I watched a WWF PPV over someone's webcam, in like 2000. It was an epic slideshow, let me tell you.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Every PPV was "listen for free" for me, since my cable company just scrambled the video of PPV feeds.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Every PPV was "listen for free" for me, since my cable company just scrambled the video of PPV feeds.

I had Scramblevision for years, it blew my mind as a kid. Then a short time after we moved to a different town, the local cable company stopped carrying PPVs or cut off the scrambled channel, so that was gone.

Listened to some legendary shows that way. I could make out enough of the Undertaker in his Survivor Series '90 debut to be able to tell it was "Mean" Mark Callous from NWA. I probably got to listen to every PPV between 1989-1992. So great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel like the PPL came up earlier in the thread and immediately brought up a scramble vision discussion. Not that this is a bad thing, it would just be pretty amusing if my memory is correct.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Scramble Vision was awesome. Sunday night, school the next day, doing homework, why the hell not just put it on in the background?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sometimes you could hang the cable cord in such a way you could make out enough of a skewed green/purple image to tell what was happening with commentary. It was totally worth it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Oatgan posted:

Sometimes you could hang the cable cord in such a way you could make out enough of a skewed green/purple image to tell what was happening with commentary. It was totally worth it

I totally remember having a discussion the day after Superbrawl 1998 where my friend watched it on scramblevision and was trying to see what Juventud Guerrera looked like without the mask.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Oatgan posted:

I was able to get scrambledvision on the kitchen TV, which was like 11 inches tall. "This is the key, it's this TV!" and moved it to my bedroom and it never worked again. Last PPV I was able to watch scrambled was St. Valentines Day Massacre.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

LordPants posted:

Well, WWE has Cena / Rock, Punk / Taker, Triple H / Lesnar planned, but that's it. We're not talking SMW where you had entire cards planned sixth months in advance

But his point is still correct, you should have every card planned in advance, not just Mania.

I just don't think that's a realistic expectation in a world where wrestlers can get injured at any time and people expect big events every week on TV or they tune out.

Also Punk/Taker isn't planned, but Punk/Sheamus and Dolph/Big Show are.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dshban posted:

I just don't think that's a realistic expectation in a world where wrestlers can get injured at any time and people expect big events every week on TV or they tune out.

Also Punk/Taker isn't planned, but Punk/Sheamus and Dolph/Big Show are.

They did it in 2000 without a problem. And arguably, they had more TV hours to fill up, and less stars to do so because half their main event roster was injured or retired.

Gee, that period was pretty successful wasn't it?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

This video has so many great i.e. bad WCW moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RKnSIxQsE

bartok
May 10, 2006

What is the story behind Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan not getting along?
I've heard the story about Gorilla Monsoon's death and how Bobby had to fight to be able to say a few words about his friend on Nitro. Even before Monsoon's passing there seemed to be some real deep seated animosity between the two.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Probably just something about Tony being an utter cock in general.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bartok posted:

What is the story behind Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan not getting along?
I've heard the story about Gorilla Monsoon's death and how Bobby had to fight to be able to say a few words about his friend on Nitro. Even before Monsoon's passing there seemed to be some real deep seated animosity between the two.

From his book Tony was a raging dick to him.

Tony would find out finishes and angles ahead of time and refuse to tell him what was going on so Tony could look better.

Tony demanded that his chair had to be the highest of the announcers because he was more important.

Tony told Bischoff and Russo to ignore Heenan's advice on angles and other things despite his long record int he business.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Tony hated everyone. He felt that Gorrilla got him fired from WWF, that Jim Ross never treated him well in WCW and that Bischof stabbed him in the back to get the vice presidents role in WCW which he expected to be handed to him.

In return everyone hated him for being him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Tony hated everyone. He felt that Gorrilla got him fired from WWF, that Jim Ross never treated him well in WCW and that Bischof stabbed him in the back to get the vice presidents role in WCW which he expected to be handed to him.

In return everyone hated him for being him.

It's one of those things where you would think someone would just finally fire Tony, since in the long run he wasn't worth a nickel to the company anyway, and yet WCW.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's one of those things where you would think someone would just finally fire Tony, since in the long run he wasn't worth a nickel to the company anyway, and yet WCW.

Tony wasn't bad at play by play. Some might disagree but the truth is, the pro wrestling PBP business is really loving weak and in comparison to everyone else WCW had, and everyone WWF had aside from Jim Ross, Tony was about as good as it got.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Tony wasn't bad at play by play. Some might disagree but the truth is, the pro wrestling PBP business is really loving weak and in comparison to everyone else WCW had, and everyone WWF had aside from Jim Ross, Tony was about as good as it got.
I just get tired of him trying to impart confusion/drama/excitement by ending every sentence halfway through it.

Fans this is the. I can not believe what we. This is the worst thing I have ever. How he could do that to his own. Ric Flair should be ashamed of. This is not the man we once. I can't believe he would stoop to such.

It's the Fedex arrow - it's all I listen for when I watch old footage now.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I thought Tenay was better than Tony was, but at that point Tenay wasn't phoning it in like he is in TNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Tenay was a fantastic PBP man but that was all he was. He couldn't sell anything, but he could name every move and where every wrestler had been and what he had done and who his family was.

There was a reason they only really wheeled him out for the cruiserweight matches. At least initially.