Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Rats aren't hamsters, they don't really need a ball when they're out playing and they have a lot more fun exploring without one.

Okay, cool. I let them out as much as I can just to run around, I figured they'd get even more time with one, but eh. No big loss then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I always limited my rats to a couch or bed, and they never figured out the floor was even there. They were fine running around as long as they wanted, and couldn't get lost or eat things they shouldn't. They were boys though, females might be more wily.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Girls know the floor is there and they believe it is a wonderland.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Rats can be cuties, I guess.

Long live the rat!

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Big Bug Hug posted:

I always limited my rats to a couch or bed, and they never figured out the floor was even there. They were fine running around as long as they wanted, and couldn't get lost or eat things they shouldn't. They were boys though, females might be more wily.

Yeah, we have a lot of places to get lost in and a hole that's letting mice in the kitchen. And a dog. She behaves with them around us, but I don't trust her by herself. I wanted to get the rats some balls, but my fiancee pointed out that our dog would think that was the best thing to chase around ever. I want to give them more freedom, but it just isn't safe.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Not many rats take to balls anyway.

On the upside, I think rats can be content with supervised play wherever they're put - stick 'em on your desk, sit with them on the couch or carry them around in your hoodie. Especially if they have a big cage, they don't seem to care about much more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My wallpapers agrees on this picture being quite accurate.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I've always given my rats the full run of at least one room during playtime - whether that's an office, a bedroom, or the living room. If you give them a treat whenever they go back into the cage after playtime, they'll tend not to make themselves scarce when playtime is over.

Right now, my girls get about a third of the house - the living room, entryway, and a couple of hallways, all of which are either rat proofed or don't really have anyplace they can get lost in. I block off rat unfriendly rooms (like the kitchen) with a baby gate in the door frame leading to the rest of the house.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The worst thing about living in an old flat (Glasgow) is that it's impossible to fully rat-proof :(

I mean, this has the side-effect of also letting mice in, but I hate not being able to let the Smaslug Family (they have been fully named Smaslug Smaslug and Dyna Smaslug) free-roam as they like. They love us and run back to us whenever they're on the couch, but they're dumb as hell and I feel like they'd fall down a hole and get lost forever.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
So, the new arrivals are here! We have never seen these multi-colored bald apes before so we're keeping the cage closed for now.

https://theta360.com/s/byr4m7RI0HjgBHwo6XVGbj6x6

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

aerique posted:

So, the new arrivals are here! We have never seen these multi-colored bald apes before so we're keeping the cage closed for now.

https://theta360.com/s/byr4m7RI0HjgBHwo6XVGbj6x6

That image is really cool. What did you use to take it?

PS. cute rats!

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

That image is really cool. What did you use to take it?

A Ricoh Theta camera. The site the image is hosted on is part of it (I have no affiliation).

You can also watch the pictures as photospheres so you're not tied to the Ricoh site or the app that's part of it (although it works better than photospheres on Android).

It's a fun camera but a little expensive for that it does. Especially the resolution is a little low when zooming in. I could buy it at a discount though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have the rat that was chewing on its own tail. We got new rats, we've been acclimating them to each other by keeping their cages next to each other and playing with them together. But now, after not chewing on her tail the whole time we were acclimating them to each other, she's started doing it again the day before we were going to put them in together. The vet said that the other rats would see it as a sign of weakness. Does anyone have an idea for how to stop her doing it? We're stopping her every time we notice it, but I'm at work full time, and my fiancee works some of the time and runs errands, so we can't catch it all the time.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Not sure about the tail, but as far as putting them in together, I would give it a try. That thing the vet said sounds bogus to me. I mean sure, some rats might pick on a weak one, but I've never seen it. And you're introducing babies right? I think it'll be fine. Just obviously keep an eye on them.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have the rat that was chewing on its own tail. We got new rats, we've been acclimating them to each other by keeping their cages next to each other and playing with them together. But now, after not chewing on her tail the whole time we were acclimating them to each other, she's started doing it again the day before we were going to put them in together. The vet said that the other rats would see it as a sign of weakness. Does anyone have an idea for how to stop her doing it? We're stopping her every time we notice it, but I'm at work full time, and my fiancee works some of the time and runs errands, so we can't catch it all the time.

Is she chewing on it hard enough to break the skin?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, hard enough to leave bloody patches. The other rats are 8 months old.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, hard enough to leave bloody patches. The other rats are 8 months old.

Is it possible she has mites or lice?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would that be something I could inspect her for, or are they too small? She's not biting anywhere other than the tail, and she had stopped for a while. She started again the day we were going to deep-clean the cage and put them all in together.

We did take her to the vet shortly before we got the new ones and he prescribed some painkillers and an antibiotic to avoid infection, I'm not sure if that's something he would have checked for.

Or maybe she can chew on her fur without hurting herself if there are mites or lice, but there's no layer like that over her tail?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is it ok for rats to have olive oil? I'm looking it up and getting pretty mixed results.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:( My old PEW Ben (he's about a year-and-a-half) has started not being able to grip with his front paws. Actually most of the time they're curled up. His eyes are half-closed most of the time and his muzzle's brownish. He's still eating -by shoving his face into the bowl. Realistically, how does long he have? He's been like this for at least two days now (we had a vet visit yesterday to check out a blister on his foot).

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

:( My old PEW Ben (he's about a year-and-a-half) has started not being able to grip with his front paws. Actually most of the time they're curled up. His eyes are half-closed most of the time and his muzzle's brownish. He's still eating -by shoving his face into the bowl. Realistically, how does long he have? He's been like this for at least two days now (we had a vet visit yesterday to check out a blister on his foot).

Gonna call the vet and make an appointment to have hum euth'd. His blister's better but he's not. Gonna miss my little buddy so m,uch

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry :( It is always a hard decision to make.
I have heard (don't know from experience) loss of use of the front limbs is an indicator of a brain issue like a pituitary tumor. Either way, it doesn't seem like something they can recover from.
You're giving him a gift by letting him go before he's in pain or has an emergency. I hope that's some comfort.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Yeah, you're making the right call. I'm sorry for you loss.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, we introduced the two 8 month old rats to the older rat. They are getting along great, aside from the older one having to tell the younger ones to gently caress off when they try to eat her food. They eat faster than her, and try to take some of her food once they're done.

They have already all curled up together a few times, so that's a good sign. Pretty early on, one of them started grooming the older one, and she was so happy she started Bruning, or however you spell it.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Octopus posted:

Yeah, you're making the right call. I'm sorry for you loss.

Big Bug Hug posted:

I'm sorry :( It is always a hard decision to make.
I have heard (don't know from experience) loss of use of the front limbs is an indicator of a brain issue like a pituitary tumor. Either way, it doesn't seem like something they can recover from.
You're giving him a gift by letting him go before he's in pain or has an emergency. I hope that's some comfort.

Thank you all for your kind words. He's resting easy now. (Although they wrapped him in a dish towel for me to take home and now I'm not sure what to do with it.)

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm a bad photographer, and they are not too keen on pictures, so this is the best I can do of Boop and Alice. I got the two sisters a little over a month ago as my first rats, and everything has been going awesome. They are always pumped to eat, learn, and explore. Sometimes at night I eventually just have to go to bed, but they have extra energy when I put them back in the cage. I got the saucer type wheel since it seemed like the safest, and more suitable for two. They are interested in everything, except their wheel. The only time I can get them to use it is by luring them with treats, but even then they don't really seem to piece it all together. Have you guys had any luck with the flying saucer type wheels, or should I get another for them?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

sleppy posted:

I'm a bad photographer, and they are not too keen on pictures, so this is the best I can do of Boop and Alice. I got the two sisters a little over a month ago as my first rats, and everything has been going awesome. They are always pumped to eat, learn, and explore. Sometimes at night I eventually just have to go to bed, but they have extra energy when I put them back in the cage. I got the saucer type wheel since it seemed like the safest, and more suitable for two. They are interested in everything, except their wheel. The only time I can get them to use it is by luring them with treats, but even then they don't really seem to piece it all together. Have you guys had any luck with the flying saucer type wheels, or should I get another for them?

I think most rats prefer Silent Spinner type wheels (of the right size). But honestly, if your rats didn't start as kits then they probably won't take to one as adults. Worth a shot, though. I'd say maybe 1/3 of my rats have been consistent wheel users.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I've had a couple of rats take to the wheel as adults, but they never were as super into it as the ones who were introduced as pups. (Greta, I'm lookin' at you, miss wheels-all-night)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My current and previous pairs have almost exactly the same markings as your ratties.
The only way I can tell mine apart is the slightly different black lines on the back and one of of them is a bit chubbier.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The one on the left looks just like one of my rats. :3:

Also looks like my cage as well. Is that thsoe 4-level, all metal cages from Petco?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Potato-pic but these are my assholes:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

http://imgur.com/a/yhU2x

more bad pictures

It's easier for me to tell which is which by their movement now. Boop is an oaf who mostly likes to eat on my shoulders, and Alice is obviously a lot smarter and has places to be. The cage is the Merry Manor from Petco. This also shows their hammock that turned into a tent. Boop was lounging in it until Alice chewed the corner and dropped her. Twice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any way to train rats not to pee outside of their cages? The new ones are sweet, but I don't like being peed on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there any way to train rats not to pee outside of their cages? The new ones are sweet, but I don't like being peed on.

Not at all. Not that I've heard at least.
Get used to rat pee covering everything the little bastards can get their paws on.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
All of my female and neutered male rats seem to avoid peeing outside their cage unless I leave them out so long they cant hold it any longer (then I feel bad), but it takes them a couple months to learn that. The un-neutered males are just little piss balloons.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh. :(

Our last two never peed, but these two new ones just leave little trails of dots behind them. I figured the original owners had to have trained the last two or something.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I find they do it more when they're younger, it improves a bit when they get older.

I think the little spots are like marking, and they msy never stop that. Mine always stopped leaving big puddles unless thry couldn't get back to their cage in time.

Edit: I've only had males, for clarity.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 28, 2015

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

yeah, but even the best girls will occasionally pee on your neck. it comes with the territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Hey are there any London/SE England goons here who want a rat cage? Had the last of our rats put down a couple of weeks ago.
We have a Furplast Jenny cage (we used it as a holiday cage) and a big metal Aventura cage available.

http://www.ferplast.com/en/shop/jenny
http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/products/metal-aventura-huge-metal-rat-ferret-chinchilla-cage.html

Seems like new the Jenny is over £100 and the Aventura now over £200. They're both a bit rusty/worn but still very usable. I don't want any money for them, I'll put them on Gumtree otherwise.