Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Sizzlechest posted:

Well, I rooted the Nook, backed up the original software, get everything up and running, played angry bords on it and all was well. I put it down for a few minutes and now I can't get the thing to respond. If I raise/lower the volume it makes a sound to indicate the current volume, but that's it. The screen is blank.

I'm going to try to run out the battery and then see if it reboots when I plug it in. I would do a battery pull, but I don't see a battery compartment on it.

If you hold the power button down long enough it should reboot it. That's pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
ok so CM7 finally loaded for me... but I dont have the market anymore. How do I get that back?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

ok so CM7 finally loaded for me... but I dont have the market anymore. How do I get that back?

Get the zip here, boot into recovery, and flash the zip.
http://goo-inside.me/gapps/

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
awesome.. got it, thanks!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I successfully rooted my phone last night, and today I tried loading a ROM, the stripped GB version of Das BAMF 2.1. I was very careful about following instructions, flashing the MR2 radio first and then using Clockwork to wipe everything and then load the ROM. It loaded fine and worked for quite awhile. I tried just changing the wallpaper to an image I downloaded and it started acting strangely, the file manager crashing when I tried to open any images. I tried rebooting and now it just freezes at the end of the boot animation. I tried reloading the ROM through the Clockwork recovery console and that didn't seem to help. Any ideas? Could there be something on the SD card that's bothering it?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I used the new AlphaRevX software, I didn't think there was any other way to do it.

Would I have to wipe to install BusyBox or SuperUser?

Well.. I got a original DInc, the AlphaRevX site says its for the DIncS and 2, different phones.

I'm not familiar with the root method, but both superusr and busybox are on the market, they are just apps you install as normal.

If they wont work, then you might have to talk to someone familiar with AlphaRevX or try CM7 fresh.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 14, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I cleared everything once or twice in Clockwork and reloaded GingerStripped again and it seems to be OK now. Looking back, it loaded a little strangely the first time. I probably should've goofed with it a little more before trying to settle in. Is this sort of thing pretty normal in ROMland?

Fun fact I learned today: At least on the Thunderbolt, the antenna is partially inside the battery cover so your signal will suck if it's not fully attached.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

deong posted:

Restoring the data from TB may be the issue. If you weren't selective, the system data from CM7 may not (likely) be compatible with MIUI's system data.

Try doing a factory reset/wipe user data/cache, and reflash miui. Then try to use the phone with out restoring the data via TB. If it works that way, something you restored messed up. You need to be selective when restoring data via TB, especially when crossing ROMS (ie. CM7 -> MIUI).

You will be able to restore data from applications you grab from the market, but not ones that are essential functions of the phone.
Yeah I did a full wipe then did a TB restore but didn't restore system data and that fixed it. poo poo is slick as hell now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think I'm going to give my Nexus a wipe and a roll with MIUI. The only thing that sort of concerns me is that part about being both closed source and Chinese in origin. The whole "oh hey what the hell is this" aspect of it's origin makes me kind of :tinfoil: and :ohdear: at the same time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I think I'm going to give my Nexus a wipe and a roll with MIUI. The only thing that sort of concerns me is that part about being both closed source and Chinese in origin. The whole "oh hey what the hell is this" aspect of it's origin makes me kind of :tinfoil: and :ohdear: at the same time.
I don't use MIUI, but if there was something fishy happening, don't you think someone would've noticed by now?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jigoku San posted:

Well.. I got a original DInc, the AlphaRevX site says its for the DIncS and 2, different phones.

I'm not familiar with the root method, but both superusr and busybox are on the market, they are just apps you install as normal.

If they wont work, then you might have to talk to someone familiar with AlphaRevX or try CM7 fresh.

Thanks for the reply, but I bit the bullet and just started doing poo poo. AlphaRevX automatically installed Clockwork Recovery, so I made a backup and started playing with what I could do.

I've managed to get CM7 installed, now I just need to figure out how to load my contacts in. There didn't seem to be any option to back that up in Titanium Backup, and I don't see the Verizon backup program in the Market.

I'm just gonna keep looking.

e. Oh, and to anyone doing what I did, keep in mind that you have to have the battery door on to connect to a phone tower. If you have your off, like I did, nothing works.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

If you hold the power button down long enough it should reboot it. That's pretty weird.

I tried that. It's not responding.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Thanks for the reply, but I bit the bullet and just started doing poo poo. AlphaRevX automatically installed Clockwork Recovery, so I made a backup and started playing with what I could do.

I've managed to get CM7 installed, now I just need to figure out how to load my contacts in. There didn't seem to be any option to back that up in Titanium Backup, and I don't see the Verizon backup program in the Market.

I'm just gonna keep looking.

e. Oh, and to anyone doing what I did, keep in mind that you have to have the battery door on to connect to a phone tower. If you have your off, like I did, nothing works.
Your contacts should automatically load if you synced them to Google. Doesn't Sense do that by default?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

UnintelligibleSmurf posted:

Not quite clear from reading the OP...

Should I be backing up the entire contents of the phone before rooting a la:
http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-and-unroot-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-with-a-single-click/

How do I do it? There's a lot of Optus-related garbage on my phone and I'd like to keep an image of it with the original state in case I need to send it back for repairs.

Use CWM to do a full backup. Save the backup on your computer

UnintelligibleSmurf posted:

How do I know what type of Galaxy S I have?

When I use ROM Manager and say "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery" I get a list of phone model options:
Galaxy S Fascinate
Galaxy S Vibrant
Galaxy S Captivate
Galaxy Tab - Verizon
Galaxy Tab - ATT
Galaxy Tab - T-Mobile
Captivate (MTD)
Vibrant(MTD)
Epic4G
Samsung Charge
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Samsung Sidekick 4G
Galaxy S i9000
GalaxyS i9000 (MTD)

I have an Australian Galaxy S from Optus. "About Phone" lists:
Model Number:
GT-I9000
Firmware ver:
Baseband ver:
I9000DTJP3

I tried Galaxy S i9000 but when I go to backup the current ROM it resets and then goes straight to the standard recovery screen I've seen before, and the only valid option seems to be to reboot.

So firstly, Galaxy Tabs, are tablets. All the named versions are from North America and are mostly CDMA. MTD refers to a non standard system partition format that is used by Cyanogenmod and MIUI etc (It is common on most other phones, samsung uses BML). You have a plane old Galaxy S GT-I9000 just like you said.

The problem is that after eclair (2.1), the stock bootloader checks for the package to be signed before flashing it. The ROM Manager app is basically useless on froyo/gingerbread Galaxy S devices.

However you can still get around this, and get CWM very easily. Just find a kernel for froyo that has CWM built into it and flash it via Odin, Heimdall, or if you are already rooted, using this SGS Kernel Flasher app.

From there you can make your back ups and then do whatever. Do note that if you want to return the device to 100% how it is right now, you need to download a copy of that firmware and extract the kernel from it and then flash that as well. Be sure to remove any root apps like the kernal flasher. If you plan to move to gingerbread however getting to know heimdall or Odin is a good thing and flashing kernals is quite safe (you might softbrick your phone if you use a bad/wrong kernel but you just flash it again with a good one and it will be fixed).

If you just want a stock experience, I would recommend installing one of the voodoo kernels. It has a lagfix built in that you can turn on or off, and also has a bunch of sound improvements that can be activated using the voodoo sound app but are off by default. The kernel is also pre-rooted and you just need to install Super User. Most importantly though it includes CWM built into it. From there on you can have lots of fun.

If you want much more tweaked out version, froyo development has mostly ended now but the later versions of Hardcore's speedmod were probably the best (as far as I was concened)

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 14, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For people just trying MIUI tomorrow's update (MIUI updates pretty much every Friday) has a bunch of new goodies for the UI.

http://forums.miui.us/content.php?81-MIUI-s-New-UI-Design-A.K.A-Evolution-coming-this-week

This with the new lockscreen, MIUI has been pushing a lot of change over the last couple of months. I like it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nate fisher posted:

For people just trying MIUI tomorrow's update (MIUI updates pretty much every Friday) has a bunch of new goodies for the UI.

http://forums.miui.us/content.php?81-MIUI-s-New-UI-Design-A.K.A-Evolution-coming-this-week

This with the new lockscreen, MIUI has been pushing a lot of change over the last couple of months. I like it.

Damnit! CM7 just got fully working on my Fascinate and now MIUI goes and does something like this, I was looking forward to not having to flash a new rom for a while :(

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LastInLine posted:

Your contacts should automatically load if you synced them to Google. Doesn't Sense do that by default?

Not on Verizon, apparently. I worked around it by logging into my Verizon account online and exporting my contacts from there, then importing them into Gmail. Now I just need to merge everyone and I'm good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I guess after like 18 months I'm going to root/ROM my N1.

Does this guide look decent? Is there a canonical reference I should be referring to?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Does this guide look decent? Is there a canonical reference I should be referring to?

Ooooh, is it the memory issues you've been having? What Rom are you going for?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Codiusprime posted:

Ooooh, is it the memory issues you've been having? What Rom are you going for?

Yeah, out of storage space has driven me mad. Especially with all the Google apps growing with every update.

I'm going to try out CM7 first.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Why are you going to bother? At 18 months it's not like your phone has a warranty. Just fast oem unlock it and flash whatever the gently caress you want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why are you going to bother? At 18 months it's not like your phone has a warranty. Just fast oem unlock it and flash whatever the gently caress you want.

Heh, as I just said on G+ I didn't even realize that was an option.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Heh, as I just said on G+ I didn't even realize that was an option.

Yeah, just now realized that was you on G+. :3:

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
For the benefit of anyone else as dumb as I apparently am, sometimes when you get a new phone it actually DOESN'T have the latest leaked HBOOT and Radio files, and that's the reason you can't get any roms to install and somehow CM7 installs anyway because who the hell knows why and that just confuses your debugging even more. The moral here is when you get a new phone, update the low-level stuff before you start playing around with roms, save yourself a lot of trouble.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teamdest posted:

For the benefit of anyone else as dumb as I apparently am, sometimes when you get a new phone it actually DOESN'T have the latest leaked HBOOT and Radio files, and that's the reason you can't get any roms to install and somehow CM7 installs anyway because who the hell knows why and that just confuses your debugging even more. The moral here is when you get a new phone, update the low-level stuff before you start playing around with roms, save yourself a lot of trouble.
That's actually really good advice. I know in troubleshooting others' problems I've never thought to verify HBOOT and the radio versions (mainly because on the Nexus One there are only like three of either and they all work fine).

I did update to the latest HBOOT when CM7 came out because it was required for a short while but eventually it became unnecessary. I don't even think you can go backwards on HBOOTs. I'm still on the oldest radio too, the 4.06, which I think came with Froyo. Did the OTA Gingerbread push out a different baseband on the N1?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Not sure about the N1, I broke my last Incredible, ordered a new one on ebay, and completely forgot that they shipped with .79 HBOOT and some godforsaken old Radio (which I find makes little to no difference but why not), and apparently CM7 has some kinda voodoo black magic bullshit that doesn't give two fucks what HBOOT it's on, but any kind of 2.2 or 2.3 Sense or MIUI system requires the latest .92. Two days of troubleshooting, logcats, and bullshit.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

Hit me up on GTalk if you want any help (I know this was yesterday, but w/e) or advice.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I know progress is being made but god drat I can't wait for permanent root and S-OFF for the Evo 3D. I miss CM7 and I know it'll still be a while after the unlock.
At least the perma-temp root is really stable now and lasts until a reboot.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Krittick posted:

I know progress is being made but god drat I can't wait for permanent root and S-OFF for the Evo 3D. I miss CM7 and I know it'll still be a while after the unlock.
At least the perma-temp root is really stable now and lasts until a reboot.

Given the official unlocks coming from HTC, I wouldn't count on much happening on that front.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Casao posted:

Given the official unlocks coming from HTC, I wouldn't count on much happening on that front.

Eh, I've never known the hacking community to go "oh well I'm sure they're on top of it, let me just totter off over here and play with myself."

AlphaRevX came out for the IncS/Inc2 after the HTC announcement, Fr3vo for the 3D and Sensation came out after it, I'm pretty sure they're not just going to hang out and let HTC do its thing.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
After a few beers last night, I finally decided to get around to seeing whether or not I could root my Thunderbolt with success.

A kind goon PM'd me a week or so ago with a short guide on what I should do exactly but I ended up finding a more comprehensive and idiot's guide style to rooting through another site.

All I have to say is: holy poo poo CM7 is amazing and makes stock look like garbage in comparison to performance and features.

After realizing I had to download gapps to get things to sync, and realizing I relied on Backup Assistant to keep contact info rather than google, I had a little frustration but that was truly all of my own fault. Updating that stuff and fiddling with it for a bit made everything so much better.

The battery seemed to charge very slowly, but upon reflection I believe this appeared to be the case because I had CM7 bootloop for like, a whole hour. Battery life after unplugging it seems much, much better which was my whole reason for doing all of this anyway.

yay!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nickhimself posted:

:stare:

How is that better than a folder or the app drawer?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LastInLine posted:

:stare:

How is that better than a folder or the app drawer?
I used to have homescreens full of app shortcuts until I figured out how to use the LauncherPro dock. Now I can't live without it. I've got two docks (used to have 3, but it's much easier having two that loop back and forth) and I have swipe actions for most items on related items:

"Main" dock:
[Phone] [Gmail] [App drawer] [Messaging] [Internet]

Swipe actions:
[Contacts] [Gtalk] [Market] [Voice] [Awful]

That's 10 apps/actions right there. If I remember right, you can have up to 3 docks, so you could potentially have up to 30 apps ready to go at the bottom of your phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

I used to have homescreens full of app shortcuts until I figured out how to use the LauncherPro dock. Now I can't live without it. I've got two docks (used to have 3, but it's much easier having two that loop back and forth) and I have swipe actions for most items on related items:

"Main" dock:
[Phone] [Gmail] [App drawer] [Messaging] [Internet]

Swipe actions:
[Contacts] [Gtalk] [Market] [Voice] [Awful]

That's 10 apps/actions right there. If I remember right, you can have up to 3 docks, so you could potentially have up to 30 apps ready to go at the bottom of your phone.
Exactly how I do it. Thirty shortcuts right there.

I put the app drawer in the center of all three just have it there, and swipe up on it for Settings. I do the same thing you do with related apps: Phone/GVoice, GMail/Talk, Messaging/G+, Browser/LP Bookmarks on the primary.

Another dock I use for my four most contacted people, with swipe actions being their preferred method of contact, like direct SMS or phone depending.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Well, the latest MIUI OTA update zip for the Desire managed to send its launcher into a FC loop. Good thing I made a CWM backup.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

nickhimself posted:

A kind goon PM'd me a week or so ago with a short guide on what I should do exactly but I ended up finding a more comprehensive and idiot's guide style to rooting through another site.

yay!

As an idiot, I would be interested in this guide.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LastInLine posted:

Another dock I use for my four most contacted people, with swipe actions being their preferred method of contact, like direct SMS or phone depending.
:aaa:

I never even considered putting contacts on the dock!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

nickhimself posted:

yay!

Honestly looking at your screenshot MIUI might be made for you since it seems you don't like to use the App drawer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendations for good Cyanogenmod 7 themes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

nate fisher posted:

Honestly looking at your screenshot MIUI might be made for you since it seems you don't like to use the App drawer.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking too.

Also, on that front, MIUI is supposed to update today with MMS for the VZW Fascinate. Totally badass. I applied the patch already but plan on doing the update anyways to see if it clears up other buggy stuff.