Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Updates on the paid model for Tesla superchargers.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/update-our-supercharging-program
Roughly how many miles might 400kWhrs be equivalent to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Grillo posted:

Roughly how many miles might 400kWhrs be equivalent to?

1,000 per the post.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I had to sell a year-old P85D because I was moving, and took a 30K bath.

:stonklol:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

1,000 per the post.
Wow I'm clever

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I had to sell a year-old P85D because I was moving, and took a 30K bath.

While some of that is truly attributable to its EV nature, I've gotta believe that part of that is also that luxury vehicles lose a ton of value.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thwomp posted:

While some of that is truly attributable to its EV nature, I've gotta believe that part of that is also that luxury vehicles lose a ton of value.

I don't think the EV nature mattered at all, especially since I was selling it to another Tesla owner and it was just over a year old with < 9K miles on it. It was just the luxury depreciation.

Yeah, I was pissed off. Not so much that I didn't buy a new one in my new country, though, sigh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

blugu64 posted:

Not sure it answers your question but I'm still looking at used volts, and I've never seen one that didn't include the charger.

Not the 110v portable charge cord, I'm of course including that. I'm talking about a 220v wall charger.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I was pissed off. Not so much that I didn't buy a new one in my new country, though, sigh.

May I ask what you do for a living? These posts just beg for that question. :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Michael Scott posted:

May I ask what you do for a living? These posts just beg for that question. :)

I used to be a director at a top-5 internet company (when the cars were purchased). Now I'm a partner in a VC firm.

E: I guess I was technically between jobs when I bought the replacement, but it was the income from the first job that I was spending.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

How terrible an idea is it to buy a used i3? I can only find 2014s...which, being the first year model of an entirely new car, are probably rife with issues. Consumer Reports says to avoid, but they also said the Model S was the greatest car ever until it wasn't. It's hard to not look at them, though, when I'm seeing cars with ~10k miles going for ~$22k.

Obviously leasing a 2017 is the safest option, but how much worse can the value of these cars get? You think if I sell it in 3-5 years, the value will poo poo the bed, hard, again? Losing 60% value in 2 years is pretty hard depreciation, does it get much worse than that?

Consumer Reports claims that the 2014s are particularly unreliable. What is there to go wrong with these cars that can't be fixed with software? As in, why would the 2014s be any less reliable than the later models, which afaik are nearly identical?

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Not the 110v portable charge cord, I'm of course including that. I'm talking about a 220v wall charger.

Do you really need one of those expensive boxes? Isn't it enough with a plug that supports 220v and whatever amps (16? 20?) plus the appropriate adapter?

This pic shows some included and optional adapters from Tesla.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

How terrible an idea is it to buy a used i3? I can only find 2014s...which, being the first year model of an entirely new car, are probably rife with issues. Consumer Reports says to avoid, but they also said the Model S was the greatest car ever until it wasn't. It's hard to not look at them, though, when I'm seeing cars with ~10k miles going for ~$22k.

Obviously leasing a 2017 is the safest option, but how much worse can the value of these cars get? You think if I sell it in 3-5 years, the value will poo poo the bed, hard, again? Losing 60% value in 2 years is pretty hard depreciation, does it get much worse than that?

I guess it depends on how hung up you are on refreshing your car ownership situation. If the value continues to tank into worthlessness in 3-5 years, you might as well stump up for a reconditioned battery pack if it needs it and continue driving it into the ground. I'd love an i3, but can't really justify anything new or even newish at the moment.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

As in, why would the 2014s be any less reliable than the later models, which afaik are nearly identical?

They've recently released a bigger battery and we're expecting yet another boost next year, so the earliest versions have probably taken a big depreciation hit because of that. If you are OK with the range, that works in your favor.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

I used to be a director at a top-5 internet company (when the cars were purchased). Now I'm a partner in a VC firm.

E: I guess I was technically between jobs when I bought the replacement, but it was the income from the first job that I was spending.

Let me know if your VC ever wants a low-level somebody who knows DevOps and wants to learn and work hard!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

Do you really need one of those expensive boxes? Isn't it enough with a plug that supports 220v and whatever amps (16? 20?) plus the appropriate adapter?

Yeah, you can use a dryer outlet and adapter, that's what I did with my S in my apartment in California.

I would be surprised if a dealer would even accept a charger from you, since they wouldn't know how to validate that it even worked at all, or want to be in the business of reselling it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrYenko posted:

Oh, in that case, I've seen like one that had an 3rd party EVSE in addition to the standard charger, at a little fly by night dealer. I wouldn't think dealers would want to mess with calls about third party gadgets that may/may not work, but ymmv.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Consumer Reports claims that the 2014s are particularly unreliable. What is there to go wrong with these cars that can't be fixed with software? As in, why would the 2014s be any less reliable than the later models, which afaik are nearly identical?

CR's used car data comes from owners so it's usually pretty trustworthy; here's some more data and very little of it is just a "software fix": http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-i3/problems-1218/2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bizwank posted:

CR's used car data comes from owners so it's usually pretty trustworthy; here's some more data and very little of it is just a "software fix": http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-i3/problems-1218/2014

Hmm, looks typically BMW buy it with a warranty stuff.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

bizwank posted:

Thanks for the link! Seems like most of the serious issues revolve around the REx model, which I'm not interested in. And of course, it wouldn't be a real BMW without :downs: issues.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

I don't own a Tesla.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I don't own a Tesla.

I understand the same electricity can be used for different cars.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The same adapters can't. I don't know the specifics, but I think the electronics that are external to most EVs seem to be internal in the Tesla.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Right, sorry, I should have read up a bit better before posting. It's kind of weird because as I understand it, the charger (i.e. the bit that converts AC to DC and monitors the battery) is in the car, so if you could just get 240V 16A to it, you're good. But apparently it's not that easy. MrYenko, if you're not getting an EV after the Volt, and the Volt goes from empty to full overnight, I wouldn't bother.

That said, the wall mounted things aren't all that expensive. https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-max

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Test drove a 2014 i3 with 1100 miles on it today. Yes, eleven hundred miles. Dealer was asking $26k. Pretty sure I could get that down a bit, but drat. Beautiful car, and even if it's a turd in terms of resale, I'm struggling to see how this could go wrong.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with buying the older, smaller battery version. Like you said, resale value sucks, but you're also sinking a bunch of money into essentially the first gen model in a rapidly changing market. Leasing in the EV market seems like a much safer overall bet. You may not get as great a deal overall, but at least you're not stuck with a very out of date model.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I ever get a Tesla, I'm wrapping it matte blue metallic.

Dat luster :swoon:

Looks good with those Rial rims too, but I would stick with the new standard 19" Slipstreams. And perhaps un-chrome it with brushed metal wrap?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ola posted:

If I ever get a Tesla, I'm wrapping it matte blue metallic.

Dat luster :swoon:

Looks good with those Rial rims too, but I would stick with the new standard 19" Slipstreams. And perhaps un-chrome it with brushed metal wrap?

That looks like a bad render

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Ola posted:

Right, sorry, I should have read up a bit better before posting. It's kind of weird because as I understand it, the charger (i.e. the bit that converts AC to DC and monitors the battery) is in the car, so if you could just get 240V 16A to it, you're good. But apparently it's not that easy. MrYenko, if you're not getting an EV after the Volt, and the Volt goes from empty to full overnight, I wouldn't bother.

That said, the wall mounted things aren't all that expensive. https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-max

Basicly the evse just negotiates the amount of power the charger (part in the car) can pull. The evse is there so you dont trip breakers or melt outlets. I ran the wires and installed a 40amp evse on a 50 amp circuit for my volt even though the charger can only pull 16amps. The price difference wasn't that much and i'll be set to charge something at a higher rate if a I get a different EV down the road or a friend needs to charge their Model 3.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D C posted:

That looks like a bad render

Yeah, nice cars deserve specular highlights.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OT but now I'd like to see a wrap that makes a car look like a low-poly model. Jaggies and everything, like a GT2 model.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finger Prince posted:

OT but now I'd like to see a wrap that makes a car look like a low-poly model. Jaggies and everything, like a GT2 model.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Platystemon posted:

Each wheel has at least one electric motor mechanically connected to it, with no way to disconnect, and without the car’s systems energised to manage the flow of electricity, bad things would happen.

Priuses can be towed with their real wheels on the ground because those freewheel.

Is this true? my wife's 2010 Prius manual says to flatbed it only.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stevobob posted:

Is this true? my wife's 2010 Prius manual says to flatbed it only.

Apparently a lot of people tow it on a dolly without problems.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

First look at the Hyundai Ioniq, courtesy of Robert Llewellyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZgYdKmIKA

Simple but good feature-wise, design suffers a bit from "fill it with shapes and angles"-disease, all in all I'd say it's a very competent Leaf-competitor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why does it have a separate control for regenerative braking instead of just using the brake pedal?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Why does it have a separate control for regenerative braking instead of just using the brake pedal?

I don't know, but mixing regen and friction braking in the same pedal motion has been done badly before and a lever is very simple. You can set it to different modes for short, but particular bits of road, obviously without digging into menus. It might be comfortable to have it off on a flat highway but then you can quickly switch to max going down a long hill. You fine tune it with the accelerator, not the brake. The e-Golf sort of does this and it might sound weird but it is a lot nicer and more useful than you might think.

e: oh right, I might've misunderstood that. It regens when you let off the accelerator, like engine braking. The lever controls the amount of regen.

Ola fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 10, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

I think it's just to control the level of regen you'll get when you let off he accelerator.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think I'll need to try it to understand it. With the max regen braking setting on the leaf, if I don't want to slow down I just don't let the accelerator pedal all the way out. I found it a hassle in the e-up, where you select from several strengths with the "gear" lever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I think it's just to control the level of regen you'll get when you let off he accelerator.

The S has a binary setting for that, but a whole lever seems like overkill. I don't know anyone who changes it regularly (and only casual drivers who use the "low" setting at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I like the idea of having "coast" vs. "regen" but am willing to admit that having another control to decide that may get needlessly fiddly.

• Locked thread