Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but I'm talking about the times when you don't get Polyphemus with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about the times when you don't get Polyphemus with it.

Even without damage-ups it can wreck certain bosses that have multiple damageable segments, and since it doesn't make any drat noise I usually pick it up.

Plus, it's great to have if you are guppy since it spawns flies like crazy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The problem with the Technology lasers is that they don't have any knockback, so enemies and bosses for which you need to rely on your tears' knockback to keep your distance from like Lust are much more dangerous.

I'd probably pick Technology2 even without any powerups regardless, the extra challenge on those cases is part of the fun.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Problem with Tech 2 is that it's a damage down multiplier. So you've got a constant stream of damage going out, but it's a low damage stream.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Low damage, infinite range, piercing damage stream.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I finally get ??? to Utero 2 with Dr Fetus + Sacred Heart, Prayer Card + 9 volt battery, the compass, flying, a Sun card, max move speed and 7 hearts. Thought I was gonna have it easy. Game says "Curse of Darkness, bitch!"

E: pulled it off and got the first cathedral win I can remember. gently caress ???, took me 2 days to get a run off the ground.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 26, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

I finally get ??? to Utero 2 with Dr Fetus + Sacred Heart, Prayer Card + 9 volt battery, the compass, flying, a Sun card, max move speed and 7 hearts. Thought I was gonna have it easy. Game says "Curse of Darkness, bitch!"

E: pulled it off and got the first cathedral win I can remember. gently caress ???, took me 2 days to get a run off the ground.

I've been trying for like 2 weeks. ??? is tough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think the trick is to hit R if you don't have decent offense + book of revelations or prayer card by cave 2.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

I think the trick is to hit R if you don't have decent offense + book of revelations or prayer card by cave 2.

Yeah, maybe I should be giving up on runs easier. It's gotten to the point where I've got the special items list open while I play so I know which ones to skip.

I've also never gotten Guppy once. I've got Golden God, but I still lack Sheol and Cathedral with ???, a Guppy run and beating The Purist to get Platinum.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
the key to a good ??? run is finding the polaroid. After that every hit gives you a shield. This allows you to abuse blood banks and devil beggars. Blood banks more so than beggars, you can make a LOT of money with ??? and the polaroid. Even if you can't find it in the early levels, mom always drops it. Shops often sell soul hearts, as well, so don't pass them up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah my ??? wins usually involve getting a soul heart spacebar and a shop recharger. Getting the Polaroid really helps in the later levels, I've beaten the final boss by just rubbing myself against it before.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
All I have left to get Platinum God is Dark Boy and the Chest achievements that, according to the wiki, are actually activated by Samson and Eve. Will I be able to get it before Rebirth? Stay tuned!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It pays to be aggressive with bluey, you've gotta stop relying on not taking hits and more on doing damage- spending 3 soul hearts on Basement 2 to get a Devil item is almost mandatory unless you're lucky enough to get really great item rooms. Pact and Mark give you some hearts back on the deal, Brimstone/Knife are unmissable just because they make your life so much easier, and the Nail is your dream item. If you don't see any of these, give him the finger and pray the Angel room ends up appearing with a Relic or Mitre in it.

You will always get a Devil room by Basement 2 (if you're reloading the game between runs.)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think Cain is much more fun for a regular play through, but ??? is the neatest twist on the gameplay compared to the others.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah ??? is a neat idea, as he opens up all the challenge rooms and gets your more devil/angel rooms. But, soul hearts are just too hard to come by. I think if he started with the Mitre instead of Poop, he'd probably be about the same difficulty as the other characters (except for Eve, gently caress Eve).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He's supposed to be a more difficult character though.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Ideally, isn't ??? supposed to be more difficult than Eve and Samson? I kind of hope the characters are rebalanced in Rebirth so that they're that way; it's obvious to me that ??? is supposed to be the most difficult character but he simply isn't.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
No Cain run is complete without Bad gas, I found the pills, Bombs are key, Telepills, and Friends till the end.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I Found Pills is one of my favourites because I love the sound effect

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Best win with ??? is the one I just got. Got to Isaac with Isaac, had Doctor Fetus with a stupid amount of damage upgrades and the Ankh. So I just suicided and managed to somehow beat Isaac as ??? with just three spirit hearts.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Ideally, isn't ??? supposed to be more difficult than Eve and Samson? I kind of hope the characters are rebalanced in Rebirth so that they're that way; it's obvious to me that ??? is supposed to be the most difficult character but he simply isn't.

Well two things we know about Rebirth is that soul hearts can no longer go off-screen so there's a limit of 12 (or is it 20?) and also the Polaroid is now not a trinket so it's possible it will no longer work in the same way.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Part of me really hopes the D6 gets rebalanced because it's just so insultingly good on Isaac. I could see giving Isaac the D20 instead for some sort of advantage that isn't totally game breaking.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I thought that was the point, though? Isaac is the "normal" character who ascends to godlike power after beating the game with ???, which is no easy feat for a lot of people.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Tracula posted:

Part of me really hopes the D6 gets rebalanced because it's just so insultingly good on Isaac. I could see giving Isaac the D20 instead for some sort of advantage that isn't totally game breaking.

I agree, but I just hope the D6 has a slightly longer recharge - each additional room of charge it requires would nerf it a little.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Why? Maybe it could be a Super Isaac exclusive item, but I thought the whole idea is that once you ace the game, the D6 is sort of there to help you speed along unlocks of items and to mess around and break stuff.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
If Isaac is too easy, why not just play another character?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
??? stops being hard once you get good enough to not to get hit ever. :smuggo:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Woo, and now all I have left to get Platinum God is Dark Boy! I think I'm going to make it. :)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Woo, and now all I have left to get Platinum God is Dark Boy! I think I'm going to make it. :)

hahahahaha

I've been stuck on Dark Boy for six months

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just sold pretty much all my Dota items on the Steam marketplace to be able to preorder Rebirth and get the discount. Paying for video games by playing other video games, what a time to be alive :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

WilliamAnderson posted:

hahahahaha

Dark Boy was a lot easier before WotL, Necropolis (and its variant stuff) is hard as balls in comparison.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You could of course cheat and disable WotL.

I myself unlocked the D6 by using the Ankh at some point on a late floor. I'm not good at ???.

Current quest (whenever I have time) is unlocking the Polaroid. I don't think I'll be able to enter the Chest before Rebirth comes out, and then I can start all over again. :getin:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

hahahahaha

I said this when I finally got Dark Boy. Use the Doctor's Revenge challenge, and hope for homing, upgraded, poison bombs. And flight. And the Emperor's card.

Carbon dioxide posted:

You could of course cheat and disable WotL.
Steam now lets you just disable DLC for games right from the Steam interface by right clicking on the game.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Hopefully achievements will actually unlock in Rebirth on Macs

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The only reason Steam achievements work on Windows is because of this hacked-together listener program that runs alongside the main app.

With as many obvious problems Isaac Classic has, it's amazing it runs as well as it does, really.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Item martyr + my little unicorn + battery + polaroid is an awesome combo. Any time you get hurt, you get several seconds of invincibility, followed by wrecking everything with the unicorn.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Attestant posted:

??? stops being hard once you get good enough to not to get hit ever. :smuggo:

I actually beat the chest with ??? because I got a combination that would teleport you if you went below a certain health threshold, and would give you a soul heart when you went below that same threshold.

So, yeah, I cleared the final boss without getting hit once, because if I did, I'd get teleported out.
But at least I couldn't die! :shepicide:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Poulpe posted:

I actually beat the chest with ??? because I got a combination that would teleport you if you went below a certain health threshold, and would give you a soul heart when you went below that same threshold.

So, yeah, I cleared the final boss without getting hit once, because if I did, I'd get teleported out.
But at least I couldn't die! :shepicide:

Yeah, cursed skull/scapular makes you immortal...but at what cost???

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

PostNouveau posted:

Item martyr + my little unicorn + battery + polaroid is an awesome combo. Any time you get hurt, you get several seconds of invincibility, followed by wrecking everything with the unicorn.

Habit + Book Of Revelation is my crutch. :smith:

EDIT: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/101122037969/its-keeps-going-and-going-and-going

Very relevant to this conversation!

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are so many different items that break the game with the habit, it's absurd.

• Locked thread