Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
Has anyone used the 35mm f/2 IS? I'm looking at a used one on CL for $350.

The internet says it is "L" image quality at a prosumer price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mrlego posted:

I had one paired with my 5DIII before I abandoned the Canon ship and really liked it. It was the only lens I took on a week long trip to Ireland last Spring, and at least on full-frame I found it to be a fantastic travel lens: small, good focal length, and excellent IQ.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

mrlego posted:

It's better than the L IMO, but I'm a video user so my use case is a bit different. Sharp as gently caress.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had one paired with my 5DIII before I abandoned the Canon ship and really liked it. It was the only lens I took on a week long trip to Ireland last Spring, and at least on full-frame I found it to be a fantastic travel lens: small, good focal length, and excellent IQ.

What'd you trade your gear for? Nikon?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Odette posted:

What'd you trade your gear for? Nikon?
I am firmly entrenched in Fujifilm mirrorless land now.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So is this Canon's first dslr with on-chip ADC? I wonder if it will bring the high-ISO performance up to more in line with Nikony. I think I've always valued the reliability and pleasant color profiles of Canon over the spec sheet dickwaving fodder, but that's still exciting news.

What I'm really curious to see, though, is if the dual-pixel AF's performance is going to be comparable to the on-sensor PDAF of mirrorless cameras like Sony's. If it is, then you've basically got the core proficiency of mirrorless FF (plus the raison d'etre of the latest 4k-capable Lumix) shoved inside a full-featured DSLR, which actually sounds really cool to me. I wonder if someone might even hack together an EVF that runs off the HDMI output or something.

Not that I could ever afford any of it, but... y'know.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So is this Canon's first dslr with on-chip ADC? I wonder if it will bring the high-ISO performance up to more in line with Nikony. I think I've always valued the reliability and pleasant color profiles of Canon over the spec sheet dickwaving fodder, but that's still exciting news.

What I'm really curious to see, though, is if the dual-pixel AF's performance is going to be comparable to the on-sensor PDAF of mirrorless cameras like Sony's. If it is, then you've basically got the core proficiency of mirrorless FF (plus the raison d'etre of the latest 4k-capable Lumix) shoved inside a full-featured DSLR, which actually sounds really cool to me. I wonder if someone might even hack together an EVF that runs off the HDMI output or something.

Not that I could ever afford any of it, but... y'know.

Canons FF sensors high ISO SNR was already comparable to the sonikon sensors. Look at the 6D vs D750 SNR graphs (almost neck and neck ) or a7r2 vs 5ds (a7r2 on top, but not by a huge amount)

This will close that small gap , but the bigger difference will be the lack of read noise at low ISOs. Right now there's loads of it from the analogue signal traveling too far in the cameras circuitry. This ought to fix that.

As far as dual pixel - it's great. Fast stills and video af works a treat - but still no stills servo even on this new camera. I suspect it has to chunk through too much data for canon to trust it for the kind of speed stills servo would be expected to track vs video.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I am firmly entrenched in Fujifilm mirrorless land now.

I remember you selling off your gear awhile back. How is fuji-land treating you? I keep thinking about switching to mirrorless but I feel like I'm going to miss full frame.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

I remember you selling off your gear awhile back. How is fuji-land treating you? I keep thinking about switching to mirrorless but I feel like I'm going to miss full frame.
For the style of shooting I developed, I am very happy. Fuji glass is spectacular and has a great lineup in less than 5 years, and I love the ergonomics of the X-T1. The AF shortcomings don't bother me nearly as much as I expected (though I guess they're much improved over the last couple years with firmware) and I don't really miss the snappiness of the 7D or 5DIII since I don't shoot action. Those two Canon bodies and all of that gear helped me figure out what I like to shoot, and fortunately mirrorless' shortcomings don't really hinder me there. I don't have the data to back this up (DxOMark can't test Fuji sensors if you care about that sort of thing) but the dynamic range on Fuji seems drastically superior to what I got out of my 5DIII. And while Fuji's current sensor is no slouch, based on what I've seen out of early samples from the X-Trans III sensor with the X-Pro2, the next generation of Fujifilm cameras (they start shipping this month) should really be stupendous. Also the AF continues to get faster and faster. There's a good chance I'll jump on an X-T2 when that eventually comes out.

Ultimately I'd say it really depends on how and what you like to shoot. Every system sacrifices something. I dabbled in every focal range, different subjects, etc. with my Canon stuff, and eventually settled into a rather methodical shooting style that usually saw me shooting landscapes with my TS-E 24. Otherwise my 35 f/2 IS lived on the body the rest of the time just because I liked the size, focal range, and IQ for a walk-around. Downsizing was nice. I really enjoy the methodical approach to shooting (you don't have to shoot that way) with the X-T1, while still having the digital assists and AF quick enough for the random events that I want to take it to.

Sorry for word-vommiting about Fuji mirrorless in the Canon thread!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 3, 2016

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

mrlego posted:

I have one and the only thing not L about this lens is the plastic barrel and lack of weather sealing. Takes great sharp photos, even on a buddy's 5Ds R.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
There's a dynamic range comparison between the 1DX and 1DXII on this page: http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/vi-har-provat-canon-1d-x.htm?page=-1

It's some crazy language, but I had Chrome translate it and it says the images were pushed 5 stops. It looks like there's significant improvement in the shadows. Almost looks Sony-esque.

It was also done with .jpgs, so the raw files should be better I would think.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

windex posted:

I have one and the only thing not L about this lens is the plastic barrel and lack of weather sealing. Takes great sharp photos, even on a buddy's 5Ds R.

Any opinions on the canon 35mm f2 IS vs the Sigma Art? The Sigma seems to come with some big practical tradeoffs for some nice optics (flaky AF, double the weight and no IS, not to mention $300).

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 4, 2016

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey guys, because I did pricing and found out that the 6d and (older) L series glass is shockingly cheap, anyone in here use the 24-105 F/4 l ior the last gen 28-70 lens, and how is the 6D vs say a 5d mark II/III, just for idle curiosity.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Base Emitter posted:

Any opinions on the canon 35mm f2 IS vs the Sigma Art? The Sigma seems to come with some big practical tradeoffs for some nice optics (flaky AF, double the weight and no IS, not to mention $300).

...Craig

I have the Sigma 24 and 50 f/1.4 Art, but the Canon 35 f/2 IS.

The Sigma is better at being fast (with the optical advantages intact) but the Canon 35mm was better for me in actual use. If the Sigma's had IS, I'd have a Sigma 35. The 24 is only usable indoors at very shallow depths of field and the 35, especially with a speedlite, is great in low light.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey guys, because I did pricing and found out that the 6d and (older) L series glass is shockingly cheap, anyone in here use the 24-105 F/4 l ior the last gen 28-70 lens, and how is the 6D vs say a 5d mark II/III, just for idle curiosity.

I've used the 24-105 IS L for about 7 years and its very useful when there is enough light. If you primarily shoot people/documentary in low light and need a general purpose zoom I'd choose the 24-70 2.8 over the 24-105.

The IS did make a difference in shooting video handheld. As bodies improve their low light performance, that 1 f/stop difference between
f/4 and f/2.8 maybe become negligible.

Photos from the 6D are pretty fantastic, but I have not used a mk III so can't compare. 6D video is a bit underwhelming, I've read the mk III does better video.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 4, 2016

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The 6D + 24-105 kit is an insanely good value. I bought the kit new (if you buy new the free printer is awesome too) for a good deal a couple years ago. I upgraded from crop (50D) and I was fully intent on selling off the 24-105 for a 24-70 2.8.

That was until I tried it out. The range was great and the image quality seemed to be match my 70-200 2.8 is ii. The only thing I was worried about was the how shallow f/4 could be. I was accustomed to 2.8 on crop and thought f/4 wouldn't be shallow enough. However, shooting with it I found out that f/4 on a full frame is basically the same dof you have with 2.8 on a crop. Knowing that now, I have no need or desire for the 24-70 2.8. I prefer the range. If I need/want anything shallower/better in low light I'll just use primes for that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Base Emitter posted:

Could get s tamron 35/1.8VC as well

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a 6d with the 24-105L and it's just fantastic. I was worried that f4 wouldn't be good enough for low light but the 6d is really amazing at high iso. I've used it for shooting theatre productions where there's low light and fast movement and set it to auto iso with a limit of 6400, and even when it's pushed that high, the photos still look great and the noise is nowhere near as noticeable as you think it would be.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Ryand-Smith posted:

I own a Canon 28-70 2.8L and it's treated me really well. The deal is that it's less sharp than the 24-70s from both Tamron and Canon, and it focuses a little slower, but it's still got excellent contrast and sharpness. The 24-105 is going to be sharper at the edges, at least past 5.6 or so, but you're sacrificing a lot of speed to get there. However, when you step down the 28-70, it's sharp at the edges,too.

If you can get a good deal on the 28-70, it's certainly worth checking out. Pretty much all of the photos in this album I just painstakingly created on Flickr are shot with the 28-70. Please note, I am not a spectacular photographer, but it should still give you some idea.

Edit: Also, having owned a 6D prior to my 5DIII, the 5DIII is better in nearly every single way. The 6D focuses better in lovely light if you use the center point, but other than that, I just couldn't live with it. Coming from a 7D, the ergonomics and the autofocus performance were just terrible.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 4, 2016

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Sneeze Party posted:

Edit: Also, having owned a 6D prior to my 5DIII, the 5DIII is better in nearly every single way. The 6D focuses better in lovely light if you use the center point, but other than that, I just couldn't live with it. Coming from a 7D, the ergonomics and the autofocus performance were just terrible.

I own a 5D3, but even I wish it didn't start to look like poo poo around ISO 3200. You can push a 6D past that.

Also your photos are pretty fine for framing. I do not shoot weddings but I shoot a lot of people at events both indoors and out. Two things stood out.

One, it looked bright outside during that wedding, but fill flash technique would've helped bring forward your subject on a number of those photos in the shade, and would not have influenced the shade much. When outdoors like that in the shade I would have probably tried to shoot at ISO400 f/8 to f/16, down as low as 1/100 if required. If you have a 5D3, learning how to use a 600EX-RT or equivalent Yongnuo flash would basically extend your photography skills a lot, preferably in manual mode, preferably in manual flash mode but even with ETTL and flash exposure compensation -0.6 to -1 EV you would go far being lazy.

Two, when taking photos of a man and a woman in virtually any setting as joint subjects, either insure you have a ton of DOF (stop down) to get the entirety of your foreground subjects in focus or focus on the woman's eyes. This is really just sexism but for serious, gender bias heavily influences people's perception of a shot, and people will totally disregard out of focus manface.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Learning on a Rebel Xti and later a 50D, the autofocus on the 6D never bothered me. Using the center point and recomposing is second nature to me. I get the allure for some people, but for me it has never been an issue and I rarely miss focus.

One other thing that is nice about the 6D is the wifi. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but it's actually very useful. I like it because when I'm out shooting, if I want to put a photo on my phone/iPad for Facebook or Instagram, I can easily do so. Before I'd have to wait until I got home and on the computer.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

windex posted:

I own a 5D3, but even I wish it didn't start to look like poo poo around ISO 3200. You can push a 6D past that.

Also your photos are pretty fine for framing. I do not shoot weddings but I shoot a lot of people at events both indoors and out. Two things stood out.

One, it looked bright outside during that wedding, but fill flash technique would've helped bring forward your subject on a number of those photos in the shade, and would not have influenced the shade much. When outdoors like that in the shade I would have probably tried to shoot at ISO400 f/8 to f/16, down as low as 1/100 if required. If you have a 5D3, learning how to use a 600EX-RT or equivalent Yongnuo flash would basically extend your photography skills a lot, preferably in manual mode, preferably in manual flash mode but even with ETTL and flash exposure compensation -0.6 to -1 EV you would go far being lazy.

Two, when taking photos of a man and a woman in virtually any setting as joint subjects, either insure you have a ton of DOF (stop down) to get the entirety of your foreground subjects in focus or focus on the woman's eyes. This is really just sexism but for serious, gender bias heavily influences people's perception of a shot, and people will totally disregard out of focus manface.
Thanks for the tips. I go back and forth between wanting everybody to be in focus, and wanting a kind of dreamy feel and bokeehhhh. But hey, I'm still learning. I had a flash with me, actually, but I really needed to be better versed in how exactly to pull off the fill effect that I wanted.

Also, I disagree about the ISO quality. Maybe it's just that I came from a 7D, but to me, the 5D3 looks great at 3200. Past 3200... well, it's salvageable to about 6400.

And to the gentleman who mentioned the wifi on the 6D -- yeah, that's the one feature that I truly miss.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Sneeze Party posted:

Thanks for the tips. I go back and forth between wanting everybody to be in focus, and wanting a kind of dreamy feel and bokeehhhh. But hey, I'm still learning. I had a flash with me, actually, but I really needed to be better versed in how exactly to pull off the fill effect that I wanted.

Also, I disagree about the ISO quality. Maybe it's just that I came from a 7D, but to me, the 5D3 looks great at 3200. Past 3200... well, it's salvageable to about 6400.

And to the gentleman who mentioned the wifi on the 6D -- yeah, that's the one feature that I truly miss.

Also yeah, I came from APS-C cameras, but the best one I own for ISO performance is the M3 (lol EOS-M) and it shits out at ISO 800. So the expansion 2 more stops to ISO3200 for roughly the same quality is nice on the 5D3, but looks about the same as ISO6400 on the 6D. My 70D starts to poo poo the bed with excess grain after ISO400 and I hear/see samples the 7D2 is about the same as the M3.

The AF issues on the 6D notwithstanding, I just compensate for this by using fast lenses. When doing event shooting with no flash, I usually use aperture priority mode with Auto ISO to ISO3200. When shooting with a flash, I just use manual mode with a fixed ISO of 400 or 800 and make the flash do the work, usually with high speed sync.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

One other thing that is nice about the 6D is the wifi. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but it's actually very useful. I like it because when I'm out shooting, if I want to put a photo on my phone/iPad for Facebook or Instagram, I can easily do so. Before I'd have to wait until I got home and on the computer.

Is the wi-fi on the 6D a different implementation to the way it's done on the 70D? On the 70D, you can't connect to the camera with a phone or tablet unless you are both on the same wireless network - so if you are out and about, you need to have your phone running as a wireless hotspot (which murders the battery). I was excited about the opportunity to connect to my camera when I bought my 70D but, in practice I found it's an almost useless feature unless you only shoot at home. Also connecting the camera to wi-fi is super fiddly, so switching around between different networks is a royal pain.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Helen Highwater posted:

Is the wi-fi on the 6D a different implementation to the way it's done on the 70D? On the 70D, you can't connect to the camera with a phone or tablet unless you are both on the same wireless network - so if you are out and about, you need to have your phone running as a wireless hotspot (which murders the battery). I was excited about the opportunity to connect to my camera when I bought my 70D but, in practice I found it's an almost useless feature unless you only shoot at home. Also connecting the camera to wi-fi is super fiddly, so switching around between different networks is a royal pain.

The 6D has several modes - the one I use makes the 6D appear as an access point to the phone - so you just set the priority on your phone's wifi to have the 6d network at the top. Most phones have an avoid bad wifi setting - you need to turn this off because obviously you can't get to the internet through the 6D.

I have used it with an iPhone, an android tablet, a Microsoft Surface Pro and my current Android phone. It works fine without a real wifi network. I use it a lot.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Helen Highwater posted:

It murders the battery if you leave it on constantly - just turn it on when you want to send some photos over, then shut it off afterwards.

For you 5d3 toting peoples, you can get an 8gb eyefi card for like 30$. Copy a handful of jpegs over to the second card slot, turn it on, and they will blast to your phone. Easy peasy if you miss being able to grab some quick jpegs off the camera.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I have actually used the 6d's wifi feature to shoot remote wildlife photos through my phone and it's pretty awesome. You can leave your tripod at a watering hole, go sit with your phone at the campfire and watch the action through your phone. You can then adjust the focus, aperture, shutterspeed etc. and snap away

Canon is releasing a wifi module for the new 1dxii, which I assume is their workaround for the high end bodies not being able to transmit a wifi signal. It'll probably also work for the new 5div?

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 5, 2016

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't really have battery issues with wifi on either my phone or camera. The only thing that sucks battery for me is GPS on the 6D. I keep it off all the time.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

I don't really have battery issues with wifi on either my phone or camera. The only thing that sucks battery for me is GPS on the 6D. I keep it off all the time.

To be clear, the thing that murders the battery on the phone is running a wi-fi hotspot. Generally you can see your battery percentage dropping in realtime unless your phone is plugged in to a charger.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I've used the 6D with WiFi with an iPad 3 mini and noticed no significant battery drainage. The app worked very well and it's a cool feature.

The thing that put me off the wifi/app shooting was the 6D losing the wifi setup randomly and it took a long time for me to reconfigure the wifi info on both devices. Maybe I've been doing something wrong? The wifi menu is a painful slog.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 6, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

mrlego posted:

I've used the 6D with WiFi with an iPad 3 mini and noticed no significant battery drainage.
That's because turning wi-fi on is not the same thing as running a wi-fi hotspot. Turn on the hotspot option on your phone and watch the battery indicator.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mrlego posted:

I've used the 6D with WiFi with an iPad 3 mini and noticed no significant battery drainage. The app worked very well and it's a cool feature.

The thing that put me off the wifi/app shooting was the 6D losing the wifi setup randomly and it took a long time for me to reconfigure the wifi info on both devices. Maybe I've been doing something wrong? The wifi menu is a painful slog.

Yeah interface for it is very confusing and it can be a pain setting it for 2 devices.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

That's because turning wi-fi on is not the same thing as running a wi-fi hotspot. Turn on the hotspot option on your phone and watch the battery indicator.

So the 6D is not suppose to be the access point, but rather the device that is connecting to the phone via the phone's hotspot? I had not used the canon remote shooting app on a phone.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mrlego posted:

So the 6D is not suppose to be the access point, but rather the device that is connecting to the phone via the phone's hotspot? I had not used the canon remote shooting app on a phone.

The camera can act as the hotspot and the phone connects to it. Never tried the other way round

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I use the 6D as a remote at basketball games -- putting it up 10 feet in the air and then wirelessly controlling the focus and exposure on my phone over the course of a triple-header is bananas and I love it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Now that I've had it, from now on, I'm not buying any camera without wifi.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone do the Canon Professional Services Gold or Platinum? I found I qualify and am tempted, as it would work as a mild maintenance plan with an added benefit of a flat yearly rate to test gear before I buy. Not sure how generous they are on loaning stuff to gold level but just curious about other people's experience with it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Anubis posted:

Does anyone do the Canon Professional Services Gold or Platinum? I found I qualify and am tempted, as it would work as a mild maintenance plan with an added benefit of a flat yearly rate to test gear before I buy. Not sure how generous they are on loaning stuff to gold level but just curious about other people's experience with it.
I'm a gold member, but in Canada. Canadians get CPS gear discounts when we buy (this actually isn't advertised anywhere in their literature) but I'm not sure if US members get the same benefit. When I bought my 600mm it was more than a $1000 discount, so well worth the membership just for that. I've sent them 3 things for maintenance now and each time had it back 3 days after sending it. They also pay to have you courier your gear to them for repair.

I haven't taken advantage of the loaner program however, so can't help you there.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
What would the gear discounts look like on a new body, or is it older gear? Canadian here, although I'm one body short of the gold threshold for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Piquai Souban posted:

What would the gear discounts look like on a new body, or is it older gear? Canadian here, although I'm one body short of the gold threshold for the moment.
Gear discount only applies to "pro" gear. For camera bodies that means 1DX only, for lenses it's just L glass. It's a crazy discount though (~10%). When you call up a Canon dealer you need to ask them what the CPS pricing is for whatever you're interested in, and have a CPS member number ready for them.

If you were going to purchase something significant (like a big telephoto) then it's well worth it to grab a used 7D or something for the second body requirement.

The crazy thing is that this discount isn't documented anywhere, even when you sign up for CPS membership. The only reason I found out about it was because I saw someone make an offhand comment about "CPS pricing" and I messaged them to ask what they meant.