Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fire-Touched and Ivory Claws :goonsay:

Subtracting the levels of assholishness (The Pure probably do need to police spirits occasionally, just for reasons of security, and it's not like the Forsaken don't kill interloping humans) I think the main difference is Luna. By human definitions, she's mad as a hatter, and the Forsaken rely on her and her spirits for renown, gifts, etc. Even Pure who don't think their creation myths are literal truth probably see that as a bad idea.

That stuff about the Fire-Touched seems unfamiliar, is that Second Edition's take? Sounds better than their old shtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thanks. I always go Fangs because they're the Silver Fangs.

Anyway, that's me operating off memory, I'm on a train and don't have my books.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I remember wanting to do an alt take where Luna led the attack on father wolf, went even crazier due to grief, and kicked the rear end of the Pure totems enough that they fell in line. The fire touched in that bit worshiped her and an all-fireotouched pack could actually use a lune as a pack totem without going berserk.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gotta say Mors, I like the way you put it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Axelgear posted:

So, how big of a sin against Wisdom is it to create from whole cloth an enormous lion demon - bound to be loyal to anyone who knows its secret name - to protect your family from wizards? On a scale from one to Guardians in your hedges.

Guardians in your hedges with sniper rifles. The Guardians tend to be twitchy like that.

Also, why a demon? Why not a less inherently malevolent form of spirit? The more ways a plan can backfire horribly, the more of a wisdom sin it probably is.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Craft giant thaumium lion construct robots that can turn into motorcycles. Forge master life.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

Also, why a demon? Why not a less inherently malevolent form of spirit?

Thyrsus detected.

If you were a Mastigos you wouldn't ask dumb questions like this. :colbert:

Seriously though demons are the most human kind of spirit! Other types are completely alien but demons at least understand human motivation.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Denim Avenger posted:

In the one core book that has been released since Vampire, we've seen supernatural lethal used for Werewolf fangs.

Or they can just do Agg with their fangs by saying that they're eating the enemy. It's not even any harder or anything.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Obligatum VII posted:

Guardians in your hedges with sniper rifles. The Guardians tend to be twitchy like that.

Also, why a demon? Why not a less inherently malevolent form of spirit? The more ways a plan can backfire horribly, the more of a wisdom sin it probably is.

Demons, eh?

Nowadays we call some of what were called "demons" in Mage goetia. You might cast a spell that locks up the Wrath of an entity real tight so nothing goes wrong, but it'd be a tricky sort of spell. Minor Wisdom sin. Creating one whole cloth is safer and probably what was intended, but also a pretty elaborate thing, since creating a consciousness requires Mastery before you add whatever capabilities make it an effective guardian.

The other things that might be called demons are Supernal entities from Pandemonium, which are called "Demons" with a capital D, but you don't get to customize them. Riskier. Moderate Wisdom sin, assuming you find a way to make it be obedient.

The last thing would be a Lower Depths akathartos from a "hell," usually defined as a place with malformed moral constituents, and given some treatment in Inferno. That's an incredibly bad idea, and a serious sin.

I suppose you could go crossover and try to employ a demon from D:TD. Magical compulsion would be a bad idea. making a deal with one? Good luck?

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm kind of expecting this to pop their collective monocles, yes.

As for a demon, it's mostly flowery language; Vas (Vine-Alloces-Sabnock) is a Shadow spirit. Turns out the Seattle has magical lightning, and when a bolt struck a pond, it turned it into the spiritual equivalent of primordial soup. Thyrsus was afraid for their family, so they made the biggest, meanest guardian spirit they could manage.

This thing feels like it could backfire preeeetty horribly.

cptn_dr posted:

Craft giant thaumium lion construct robots that can turn into motorcycles. Forge master life.

Now, see, funny you should mention that, because this one time...

Axelgear fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 26, 2015

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Hey all, I'm looking for some direction here. I'm no stranger to wod; I have a playgroup that's three years into a Vampire campaign. Whether through lack of inspiration on the players' part or bad DMing, we've been dragging our feet in getting sessions going and progressing the story. I guess to change things around, I want to throw together a one-shot Mage campaign with premades, but I'm having trouble deciding which books to reference? The pitch:

This story starts in the 80s, which is about 40 years earlier than our current vampire game. I may throw some nods to old NPCs into the game, but really, I'm aiming for a (hopefully) quick political mystery featuring three plucky supernatural detectives. What are some books I should be looking at? I don't have much experience with mages. My character kind of had a ghoul-like relationship with one, but he got eaten.

The mage, I mean. Poor guy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

cptn_dr posted:

Precisely how vulgar is forming Voltron?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Going through a couple of older books for timeline events and to fix the broken early Mage logs, and it just reminded me that the Tunguska event was actually a Zmei fighting a mage. The rest of the Zmei - the remaining 5 - are presumably as powerful as that one, which means that come the apocalypse, there will be five great dragons of the wyrm rampaging across the face of the Earth with enough power each to cause events similar to Tunguska - megaton blasts of energy.

On that note, does anyone have an airbrush and a panel van because it's about to get awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What happens if a demon doors a soul contract with a supernatural? Anything special?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pope Guilty posted:

What happens if a demon doors a soul contract with a supernatural? Anything special?

They step into their life but they don't get any of the supernatural powers.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kurieg posted:

Precisely how vulgar is forming Voltron?

Wisdom is just currency for power.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

They step into their life but they don't get any of the supernatural powers.

Which sounds about as fun as you'd imagine.

"Hey Virgil, didn't you used to be some kind of vampire prince?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC the demon also takes some agg damage.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So, uh... Onyx Path's release schedule is looking mighty optimistic, unless they intend on releasing more than ten products this month.

http://theonyxpath.com/schedule/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That thing hasn't been updated in a very long time. Monday Meetings provide a more accurate assessment of what's coming out soon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mendrian posted:

Which sounds about as fun as you'd imagine.

"Hey Virgil, didn't you used to be some kind of vampire prince?"

Well, you can always try impersonating them using Embeds and chutzpah and coming up with reasons not to use any really unsubtle magic.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, you can always try impersonating them using Embeds and chutzpah and coming up with reasons not to use any really unsubtle magic.

This is what the Show of Power exploit was made for. Mind you, that'll get expensive pretty fast, but it certainly keeps people guessing when suddenly you're a fake wizard.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Foreskin Problems posted:

Hey all, I'm looking for some direction here. I'm no stranger to wod; I have a playgroup that's three years into a Vampire campaign. Whether through lack of inspiration on the players' part or bad DMing, we've been dragging our feet in getting sessions going and progressing the story. I guess to change things around, I want to throw together a one-shot Mage campaign with premades, but I'm having trouble deciding which books to reference? The pitch:

This story starts in the 80s, which is about 40 years earlier than our current vampire game. I may throw some nods to old NPCs into the game, but really, I'm aiming for a (hopefully) quick political mystery featuring three plucky supernatural detectives. What are some books I should be looking at? I don't have much experience with mages. My character kind of had a ghoul-like relationship with one, but he got eaten.

The mage, I mean. Poor guy.

Hmm... if you're looking for interesting political things to pick up Mage Noir focuses at the 50s period but might give you some ideas of the conflicts in mage society. Alternatively the monster manuals - Intruders, Summoners, and Night Horrors: The Unbidden all come with a lot of cool gribblies that you can base a political mystery around. Possibly the biggest thing to get to grips with is how investigation works in mage - it is almost impossible to stop them from finding out something they've set their mind to, so the trick is making the story about how they deal with the knowledge they gain rather than whether they find it out.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

owod will never die

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The word "Justicariate" rather than just "the Justicars" is a MES thing, right? I never heard the term before I started playing with the MES.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Probably, since it allows for multiple instances of "bestest highest dude in the clan."

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The word "Justicariate" rather than just "the Justicars" is a MES thing, right? I never heard the term before I started playing with the MES.

It gets used in OWBN too, so maybe not?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

It doesn't ring a bell to me. They were always, IIRC, just 'the justicars'.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

moths posted:

Probably, since it allows for multiple instances of "bestest highest dude in the clan."

Loomer posted:

It doesn't ring a bell to me. They were always, IIRC, just 'the justicars'.

Okay, great, that's pretty much what I thought. The number of folks who can't tell how far off-book we are is really baffling to me.

Dunno that it matters, though- both of the local games have dwindled down to a handful of players, and that's just boring.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

owod will never die

I love that XAVIANT HAZE appears to be wearing a beret and artist scarf, as if someone told him that someone was taking a cover picture and he prepared specifically for that.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kurieg posted:

I love that XAVIANT HAZE appears to be wearing a beret and artist scarf, as if someone told him that someone was taking a cover picture and he prepared specifically for that.

If you think Xaviant Haze needs to prepare for a cover picture, you don't know Xaviant Haze. :smug:

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

I thought I would shamelessly share that I have started up a new spin off podcast to Darker Days Radio.

http://networkzero.podbean.com/

Network Zero is a NWoD centric podcast, which will thus be the companion to Midnight Express (another Darker Days sister podcast that is CWoD centric).

Content will cover all the 2e releases, and cover particular older books and re-explore ideas from those books and how they can be used in 2e. Plus we will review movies and TV shows (good and bad) to mine for ideas for NWoD games.

Ideas and comments are welcome.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dammit Who? posted:

owod will never die

Liquify this and inject it straight into my veinsssssss.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hahahahahahahah, that website. That selection is downright feeble to boot.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Of course this guy has David Icke stuff featured prominently. Of course he does.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh god, the opaque animated gif with faux transparency on top of a patterned background.

No, wait. that's a flash element.

Oh.... the entire site is one gigantic flash widget I've never seen someone expend so much effort to be as Geocities '95 as possible.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm still laughing. The dude's collection of pirate ebooks is pathetic.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Pope Guilty posted:

That was a term on the Shared Universe, the group I was in during the 90s. One Justicar each still, though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This just confirms my belief that George Noory is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This just confirms my belief that George Noory is terrible.

Art Bell was a hundred times the host Noory is.