Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Thanks for your contribution, Mr. Dawkins, but the truth of whether David and Goliath ever existed is ABSOLUTELY loving IRRELEVANT for the purposes of this discussion, which you would've noticed if you weren't so anxious to get off a cool edgy HEY DID U KNO TEH BIBBLE IS DUMB r/atheism post.

The gently caress it is. People are making arguments about the historical real-world accuracy of slings based on the number of sling bullets the mythical David brought along with him to fight the equally-mythical Goliath. Might as well argue that castle walls were obsolete because someone knocked some down by blowing a horn this one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Swords or pistols at dawn gentlemen? first blood?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The gently caress it is. People are making arguments about the historical real-world accuracy of slings based on the number of sling bullets the mythical David brought along with him to fight the equally-mythical Goliath. Might as well argue that castle walls were obsolete because someone knocked some down by blowing a horn this one time.

David isn't entirely mythical, there's archaeological evidence for a king by that name existing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Swords or pistols at dawn gentlemen? first blood?

Slings, clearly.

I don't actually know how to treat this. Could the verses about David and Goliath be considered a valid source on the efficacy of slings? Regardless of their accuracy, do they say anything about popular perceptions of the time? I mean, unless you want to claim that the bible was written by God, then the authorship consists of people who were alive and kicking while sings were a common battlefield weapon. What I'm getting (without any context, wasn't raised religious) is that the sling was seen as a decent weapon, but not one guaranteed (or even particularly likely) to defeat an armored opponent one-on-one.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd say that it's probably trustworthy as a lower bound for how many stones a slinger would carry (just because exaggeration would lead towards David only having the one stone he needs). I wouldn't take the terminal effects as gospel though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Bible is useful for historic study because it was written by contemporary people living in those times. Everything is written in a context that makes sense to them, thus giving you an idea of life in those times and a sense of what would have been considered normal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

The Bible is useful for historic study because it was written by contemporary people living in those times.

Some of it was. By no means all of it. Seriously, there was no Exodus. It didn't happen, there's no actual archaeological or extrabiblical evidence for a mass emigration of Jewish slaves from Egypt into Canaan, it is a myth. As with all myths there can still be historic value in that (who wrote this? When? For what purpose? What does that tell us about the authors and the times they lived in, etc), but the events depicted in many cases did not happen and the accounts were certainly not written contemporaneously.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Some of it was. By no means all of it. Seriously, there was no Exodus. It didn't happen, there's no actual archaeological or extrabiblical evidence for a mass emigration of Jewish slaves from Egypt into Canaan, it is a myth. As with all myths there can still be historic value in that (who wrote this? When? For what purpose? What does that tell us about the authors and the times they lived in, etc), but the events depicted in many cases did not happen and the accounts were certainly not written contemporaneously.

There is evidence of new settlements being built in the Judean uplands around 1175 BC, however, by culturally different people who didn't eat pork. While this doesn't prove anything directly, it is consistent with some refugees from Egypt fleeing during the chaos Sea Peoples invasions and setting up shop in the newly independent Levant region.

The Exodus certainly didn't happen literally as the Bible tells it, but the general outline of the Hebrew alliance being founded by people fleeing Egypt is consistent with the archeological record.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

There is evidence of new settlements being built in the Judean uplands around 1175 BC, however, by culturally different people who didn't eat pork. While this doesn't prove anything directly, it is consistent with some refugees from Egypt fleeing during the chaos Sea Peoples invasions and setting up shop in the newly independent Levant region.

The Exodus certainly didn't happen literally as the Bible tells it, but the general outline of the Hebrew alliance being founded by people fleeing Egypt is consistent with the archeological record.

The *overwhelming* historical consensus is that the Israelites are of Canaanite and not Egyptian origin. The Exodus didn't even happen figuratively as the Bible tells it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phanatic posted:

There's a theory on the walls of Jericho that the marching around blowing horns was actually to cover the sound of sappers underneath the walls. :v:

But really, it's no different than how they use tapestries, paintings, and drawings to deduce details about contemporary things. Sure there may be some inconsistencies, but there's reason to believe that contemporary writers know a thing or two about how equipment was used and whatnot. Just because there's all these knights riding snails doesn't mean that those helmet styles never saw the light of day, and maybe you should forgive the writers of old for spinning all these details into a parable of faith and because nobody's going to preserve their raw receipts for three thousand years.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 8, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

xthetenth posted:

I'd say that it's probably trustworthy as a lower bound for how many stones a slinger would carry (just because exaggeration would lead towards David only having the one stone he needs). I wouldn't take the terminal effects as gospel though.

Well of course not, the Gospels are in the New Testament.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Phanatic posted:

The established miraculous nature of David's victory means we require a normative and realistic background to set it against, otherwise it is not a miracle but a total fantasy, and thus useless from a religious perspective (or even as just as a piece of storytelling). It is that normative baseline understanding, and its implications, that Fangz and I are trying to define, to some degree, and are discussing.

Everyone else in the thread grasps this.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 8, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also the tale doesn't even need to date from the era of the mythical-historical David to tell us something about slings. It could have been the version being told around Jewish campfires in 200 BC and it would still apply as far as slings go, as the audience at that time would be familiar with them and expect that poo poo to be right. Kind of how like Renaissance paintings about biblical subjects are actually pretty great sources on how people dressed in Northern Italy in the 14th century.

Of course you can't take that poo poo in isolation, but that's not what people in this thread have been doing. Taking the biblical David story alongside that source someone else mentioned about Roman medical treatments for sling injuries and you can see that the two match up pretty well. There are modern videos of people loving around with slings of the type David would have used that show, yeah, hitting even a big dude's head at that range would be possible but still something to celebrate as a pretty clutch shot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
But were Philistean foreskins the currency of choice for royal dowries is what I'd like to know.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's that, a work of dubious historical accuracy might still contain accurate accounts of specific practices in order to achieve verisimilitude and those specific accounts can be used in historical discussions? Nonsense! *scratches neckbeard, blows bubble pipe, posts on Reddit*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

But were Philistean foreskins the currency of choice for royal dowries is what I'd like to know.

How many foreskins would it take to cover a shield frame from said era?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
maybe five stones was all david could carry in his off hand?

i don't think the record states if he had a bag or whatever

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Being unaware that a source might not be 100% accurate and still contain important and useful information (and vice versa) is how we get stuff like wehraboos talking about the omnipotent tiger, or people taking Stephen Ambrose as gospel truth. Understanding that a source may be inaccurate, mythologised or plain wrong and still be useful is basic history that applies as much to memoir, histories and anecdote as it does to the Bible or any other religious text.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Remember, not everyone could read or write universally until the 20th century, so even if some of the source isn't 100% factual it is nice to get even a grain of truth or fact from it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

thatbastardken posted:

maybe five stones was all david could carry in his off hand?

i don't think the record states if he had a bag or whatever

1Sam 17:40 Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

verisimilitude

ah poo poo that's the word I wanted to remember

So ayyo:
how did the Roman military change from, say, Trajan to Constantine? Like I know about longer swords and flatter shields, and all that poo poo but I'm asking about administrative, logistical, political stuff. Also the broad strokes of events. It's a period of time that I know very little about, but seems pretty interesting.

edit: To be clear I'm especially interested in the also-ran emperors (basically everyone in the 3rd century)

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 8, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

lenoon posted:

Being unaware that a source might not be 100% accurate and still contain important and useful information (and vice versa) is how we get stuff like wehraboos talking about the omnipotent tiger, or people taking Stephen Ambrose as gospel truth. Understanding that a source may be inaccurate, mythologised or plain wrong and still be useful is basic history that applies as much to memoir, histories and anecdote as it does to the Bible or any other religious text.

This makes me wonder if there's going to be a mythological account of a man called Tommy destroying metal tigers that burp cannon shells with rifles or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It will be a long form epic poem which ends with him confronting the mighty King of the Tigers who sprains his ankle on his way to fight Tommy and forms a nice parable about the perils of hubris.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Needs the Duke of Panthers who catches fire when he gets up from his throne.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This needs to be written.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
David, armed only with a tank destroyer, prayed to the Lord, who smote his infernal enemy's final drive. And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

ah poo poo that's the word I wanted to remember

So ayyo:
how did the Roman military change from, say, Trajan to Constantine? Like I know about longer swords and flatter shields, and all that poo poo but I'm asking about administrative, logistical, political stuff. Also the broad strokes of events. It's a period of time that I know very little about, but seems pretty interesting.

edit: To be clear I'm especially interested in the also-ran emperors (basically everyone in the 3rd century)
I'm no expert, but-
According to Peter Brown in Late Antiquity the Third Century Crisis provoked a massive reorganization of the Roman military on basically every level. Unwieldy legions get broken up into smaller, rapid response detachments of heavy cavalry ready to immediately punish attacks across the limes and the "dead wood" of traditional aristocratic commanders is replaced by an "artisanal well of talent" drawn from provincial professional soldiers, often of very humble birth. The army effectively doubles in size, supported by an enormous increase in taxes. The emperor actually becomes a more universal and more revered symbol of state order since he's no longer necessarily attached to Rome, and is instead roving across the empire's borders perpetually putting out fires and adjudicating provincial affairs.
One consequence is that the Roman identity becomes steadily divorced from the city itself (which develops an important symbolic role instead as the "eternal city") and becomes claimed by the empire as a whole; people of all sorts of faiths and ethnicities across its length and breadth start considering themselves to be Romans proper and the empire itself just becomes called "Rome Land," Romania. One of my favorite products of this era is a brevium prepared for poorly educated provincials moving into high ranks of the military; it compresses all of Roman history from the founding of the city into about ten pages just so they have an idea of what they're fighting for.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 8, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jerry was a titan with jungle cats that attacked on his word, but Tommy fought him off until at the last moment some guy named Joe Sherman came in to help.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Fuligin posted:

One of my favorite products of this era is a brevium prepared for poorly educated provincials moving into high ranks of the military; it compresses all of Roman history from the founding of the city into about ten pages just so they have an idea of what they're fighting for.
:allears: This is amazing. Is there a translation you can share with us?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eela6 posted:

:allears: This is amazing. Is there a translation you can share with us?

I'm traveling out of town right now but you might find it with some googling. I'll take a look for it on Monday.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, how much does this flux in the military explain the sequence of coups that took place?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jerry was a titan with jungle cats that attacked on his word, but Tommy fought him off until at the last moment some guy named Joe Sherman came in to help.

I can't help but hear this said around a campfire in the mad max universe.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Many speak of Abraham the emancipator and the agent of his will, the Sure-man; who laid the legendary city of Atlanta to waste , scattering it's ruin across the ocean.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Agean90 posted:

Many speak of Abraham the emancipator and the agent of his will, the Sure-man; who laid the legendary city of Atlanta to waste , scattering it's ruin across the ocean.

Abraham is also known for having found the cure for the dread plague drapetomania.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sure-man kept a ronson lighter with him, always. It reminded him of March, and the sea.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's time for another unwarranted bow post, this time a real rarity, one of the oldest intact hornbows ever found almost intact, dating from the 8-9th century. Brought to you by the Hermitage Museum. It has bone or antler reinforced ears, the left one is broken. These reinforcements are also on both sides of the grip.

This find is quite interesting, because it is closely related to typical hungarian grave finds like this.

Oh btw, I found another bow like this in my archive, wonder where in russia that is from

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fangz posted:

Hmm, how much does this flux in the military explain the sequence of coups that took place?

I can't say for sure but at this point in time succession to the throne was basically 'to the strongest'. Although that often meant competing co-emperors who had different spheres of influence and temporary alliances between rivals.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JaucheCharly posted:

It's time for another unwarranted bow post

Never stop bowposting. :allears:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
As most of you know, I translate articles written for the World of Tanks website (and more recently, warspot). Since you can never have too much tankchat, I figured I'd let you guys pick the queue and not just the WoT thread.

Already translated

Queue: 7TP, 3.7 cm Pak, Renault R35

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Medium Tank T1E1

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122 NEW

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv m/38 and m/39 NEW

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C
Renault R35 in German service
37 mm Pak

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I say 7TP.

We need to talk more about Polish armour.