Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's just a hallway. "Hall" doesn't have to mean "corridor", it just broadly means "room". Hall-way = room you move through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's a walk-out closet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's the [NULL SPACE] and you have to refer to it in the correct time of voice every time

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is absolutely spectacular. Weren't portions of Westworld filmed here? Or is that the Millard house?

bladerunner man.

I have something which is sort of interior design related, I am not shilling anything but it is related to what I do for work.
I had a little side business going with putting out real estate VR, if anyone has a gear VR. Mostly private for brokers but did a few that were public. Got to go hang out in nick candys apartment for the day (v v nice) and tommy hilfiger's (the opposite)
Did a couple issues of a magazine idea I wanted to try where we give people a tour of houses, guided by the architect.
the first is a self built house that cost them 300k all in and was built on site - https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1497597723606634/
and the second is a $33mil spec house - https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1324679164310094/

Also did one of the 92nd floor penthouse in 432pa designed by kelly behun but it's not finished and we might not get round to it. Did make a film about it though - https://vimeo.com/215217220

anyway those have interior design in maybe someone will like looking at it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please talk poo poo about Tommy Hilfiger :allears:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's just very gaudy, I never met the man. He'd be horrified to find out someone like me was inside it.

Much more intense in person that these photos would have you believe. And always manages to feel slightly cramped no matter where you are.
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/9/11/16289982/tommy-hilfiger-plaza-penthouse-for-sale-discount
And he was trying to sell it for 80m when there were others twice the size in the same building going for half that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

cubicle gangster posted:

It's just very gaudy, I never met the man. He'd be horrified to find out someone like me was inside it.

Much more intense in person that these photos would have you believe. And always manages to feel slightly cramped no matter where you are.
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/9/11/16289982/tommy-hilfiger-plaza-penthouse-for-sale-discount
And he was trying to sell it for 80m when there were others twice the size in the same building going for half that.

Is... is it wrong that I kinda like the wrought-iron banister on that staircase?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Is... is it wrong that I kinda like the wrought-iron banister on that staircase?

Why would it be? If the place were dialed back a bit it'd be fine.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Nah, some of it is incredible in isolation.
it's the layers of it that make it rough. it's the most intense and rare wood trim, with a finish designed to bring out the contrast laid around black near-mirror lacquer with gold frames and leopard print fabrics. The dining rooms gold ceiling and mirrored walls meet an open tea room turret designed to look like it's from the 1800's with a hand painted mural on the walls and fabrics straight out of your grandmas house.

Those photos are incredibly carefully taken to make it appear softer, but it is an all out assault on the senses. If your everyday realtor had taken the photos on their phone like most of the houses posted in this thread it would be much more apparent.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The award for most varieties of wallpaper in a single 750sf apartment goes to....

I unironically love it and would live there btw

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

your posts already do

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I really wish I could see it with the old furniture in there.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

:same:

I have no idea how you'd furnish it, but I don't care.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Youth Decay posted:

The award for most varieties of wallpaper in a single 750sf apartment goes to....

Tbh if both these rooms had a plain white carpet/wood floor I'd super dig them. Though that carpet in the second one is kind of mesmerizing me, so I'd probably keep it.

Seems like a nice apartment, too.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:same:

I have no idea how you'd furnish it, but I don't care.

There was another ad for the apartment that showed it furnished (with the 2nd bedroom as the living room). Though I would have gone in a little different direction with the great room as these are the ugliest chairs I have ever seen.

I also found a youtube video of the same apartment/condo from 2013 when it was last for sale and holy poo poo was it different. The owner must have added all the crazy wallpaper, carpet, etc in the last few years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those chairs are covered with jeans ?!?!?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Those chairs are covered with jeans ?!?!?!

Would that be better or worse than them being covered with non-denim cloth that has pictures of jeans screen-printed onto it?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe… real jeans would be better… unless you actually need to sit on it…

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ah...jairs.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

There was another ad for the apartment that showed it furnished (with the 2nd bedroom as the living room). Though I would have gone in a little different direction with the great room as these are the ugliest chairs I have ever seen.

I also found a youtube video of the same apartment/condo from 2013 when it was last for sale and holy poo poo was it different. The owner must have added all the crazy wallpaper, carpet, etc in the last few years.

You know, except for those horrid chairs, they have totally OWNED that look. I mean, it's insane, but somehow it WORKS. And the current version is way better than the plain vanilla version in that video.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is this the best (only) thread we have for interior decoration, as well? I'd love to talk paintings/engravings/framing/signatures/etc, but it doesn't seem to be much of a focus.

Yesterday we found a striking 1878 print in a flea market, and I just had a fun time researching it:

It's signed 'A. Danse' and what turned out to be 'Wauters'

which appears to be Auguste Danse, a Belgian printmaker who lived from 1829-1929. The scene is from an 1872 painting by Emile Wauters, Hugo van der Goes Undergoing Treatment at the Red Cloister:

I figured this one out, but I'd love to hear if anyone knows a community that specializes in this sort of thing

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg love it

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
There are figures visible in your print that are no longer discernible in the original painting. I also love it - the expressions are so revealing. What a wonderful find.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Glad you guys like! You see so many prints over here - I live in Brussels - that you skip through pretty fast and there's a really high leap from "I like it" to "I LOVE it". Far too little wall space for the first one. The fiance was grabbed by this one, though, and I quickly came around--the detail is incredible. Apparently the original painting is in the royal art museum here so we'll have to try and find it!

We actually got a second, too, which didn't quite meet the bar of "I LOVE it" but is cute and was literally 3 euros, frame and all, so why not:

For that price I was sure it was modern or fake or something, but, upon opening it up, doesn't look like it:

Trying to figure out this one brings it back around to our DIY/hobbies forum here, because I definitely need to develop some specific knowledge for this to avoid paying tons (more) money to framers. Ideally I'd like to remove the tape on the back and replace the mat, which is pretty discolored (can't really see it in the picture). There's no text visible except those really hard to read pencil marks on the back, but maybe there's some identifying info on the front covered up

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Speaking of paying lots of money to framers, anyone know anything about varnishing oil paintings? Apparently we have to have our dog's potrait varnished again before it is framed. I don't want to gently caress it up, so if the answer is "just pay someone to do it properly," so be it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Speaking of paying lots of money to framers, anyone know anything about varnishing oil paintings? Apparently we have to have our dog's potrait varnished again before it is framed. I don't want to gently caress it up, so if the answer is "just pay someone to do it properly," so be it.

It shouldn't be too hard to varnish it yourself. Usually varnishing a painting involves buying the correct type of varnish and brushing it in a thin layer (or spraying) over the painting, and then letting it dry in a well ventilated area. The old school damar varnishes can yellow over time if applied thickly but there are new formulations of so-called conservation varnishes that provide UV protection without yellowing.

Watch a couple of YouTube videos to see the amounts/brands of varnish used - use a varnish formulated for oil paintings, not one for furniture or anything like that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

vonnegutt posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to varnish it yourself. Usually varnishing a painting involves buying the correct type of varnish and brushing it in a thin layer (or spraying) over the painting, and then letting it dry in a well ventilated area. The old school damar varnishes can yellow over time if applied thickly but there are new formulations of so-called conservation varnishes that provide UV protection without yellowing.

Watch a couple of YouTube videos to see the amounts/brands of varnish used - use a varnish formulated for oil paintings, not one for furniture or anything like that.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

In other news, the second half of my wife's 40th birthday present arrived: I got her a nice pendant, and some furniture to go along with it and her other jewelry:

It's in cherry, and the stain just about perfectly matches our nice dresser. There was supposed to be a hidden drawer on the bottom, but I'm not going to send it back, it's got plenty of space as is (and the additional cost is almost exactly the balance I owe them for some other stuff that they forgot to bill me for when it shipped).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How old is the first half of your wife?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

How old is the first half of your wife?

I know what questions not to ask.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

In other news, the second half of my wife's 40th birthday present arrived: I got her a nice pendant, and some furniture to go along with it and her other jewelry:

It's in cherry, and the stain just about perfectly matches our nice dresser. There was supposed to be a hidden drawer on the bottom, but I'm not going to send it back, it's got plenty of space as is (and the additional cost is almost exactly the balance I owe them for some other stuff that they forgot to bill me for when it shipped).

Where did you order that from?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Where did you order that from?

I ordered this from Amish Avenue. There are about five billion places that sell "handmade Amish furniture" if you Google it. They all pretty much use the exact same patterns, so if you fine one you like, check other sites for a cheaper price. For example, Dutch Crafters sells the same one but it costs more and shipping isn't free. The tag on the back says "Weaver &Sons Wood products, so i wonder if they just farm out to different resellers. Companies often list different options and different wood/stains, but if they don't list an option (in our case, door locks and red felt) you can often just append the order and they'll charge as warranted. There are tons of stains and they'll all send out swatches if you want to match other furniture.

I ordered this on 6/18 and was told 5-8 weeks to make, two weeks to ship. I emailed last week because I hadn't heard anything; the guy apologized and said it should be ready to go outsoon. I got a call Monday and they asked if Tuesday delivery was okay, and luckily it was -- it was literally two guys (a young guy and an old bearded dude who looked Amish/Mennonite) in a pickup with a fifth-wheel trailer from the company. Really nice guys.

Anyway, yeah, I am totally going to buy more from them (or similar places, if they lack the exact pattern) as need/budget warrants
It might be produced from a pattern in stead of being truly custom, but it has a faint fresh-stain smell I remember from by grandpa's shop and it really is a piece I could see myself passing down to Tet Jr. All drawers are dovetailed, bottom two on slides and top ones on rails.

This was probably way more than you wanted! If you want extra pics let me know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have two surplus dressers, soon to be three, but that makes me wish I were in the market for one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of Bedroom Furniture Chat, am I weird for having a strong, almost visceral, dislike of matched bedroom sets? Like, I just really hate bedrooms where the dresser matches the armoire matches the bedside tables match the bed.

At best they’re boring and at worst (particularly if we’re talking your Raymour+Flanigan/Bob’s/etc dark stain sets that got really popular in the previous decade and never seemed to go away) they can be super oppressive and often too big and bloated for the room they’re in.

This is probably a reflection of my broader taste in furniture but the only time I’ve seen it done in a way I like is either as a design study/built-in or custom for a room or with a focus on sleekness/unobtrusiveness/etc, although any “modern and contemporary” set in a dark finish just screams “hotel room” to me. (TLDR- I’d go into debt buying a bedroom set from DWR before paying cash for something from Bob’s or R+F).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dwr is pretty reasonable but I won’t buy from their catalog until I own a home. Room and board is kind of my staple furniture store

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I like matching furniture if its, well, nice. Which is so subjective and vague as to be meaningless. I love the dresser I bought my wife when she moved in, a Durham Mt Vernon Tall Chest , and I've been thinking of buying another as my own dresser (a thin one my grandfather made) because I like it so much. But everyone has their own style, and most probably have better taste than me!

Edut: funny, I just remembered that when we looked at the house, the previous owners had the bed and an armoire from the same collection as our dresser. I almost asked them if they wanted to sell them so they didn't have to move them, but I decided I didn't want the bed the previous owners screwed in. =D They were divorcing (which is why they sold the house, surprisingly not for its MANY, MANY ISSUES), so I bet they'd have gone for it.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I would like to have furniture.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would like to have furniture.

You need a grandfather who retired early then picked up woodworking. Unfortunately mine refused to work in anything other than oak, so it all weighs a thousand pounds. The bench under our dog portrait is one such example. It's a bit country for my tastes, as is a lot of his stuff, but it's engraved for my grandmother and has a good bit of sentimental value.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apropos of Bedroom Furniture Chat, am I weird for having a strong, almost visceral, dislike of matched bedroom sets? Like, I just really hate bedrooms where the dresser matches the armoire matches the bedside tables match the bed.

At best they’re boring and at worst (particularly if we’re talking your Raymour+Flanigan/Bob’s/etc dark stain sets that got really popular in the previous decade and never seemed to go away) they can be super oppressive and often too big and bloated for the room they’re in.

This is probably a reflection of my broader taste in furniture but the only time I’ve seen it done in a way I like is either as a design study/built-in or custom for a room or with a focus on sleekness/unobtrusiveness/etc, although any “modern and contemporary” set in a dark finish just screams “hotel room” to me. (TLDR- I’d go into debt buying a bedroom set from DWR before paying cash for something from Bob’s or R+F).

I don’t do ‘’matching” items either but I buy from the same designer (ie a poet and pelican from Finn Juhl). The problem is that original design is expensive so you often end up with furniture that’s made with the same base components put together differently, like a chair that’s just sofa part but half as wide.

I did DWR for my place and it isn’t that bad, if you consider you’ll never need to buy furniture again and you’re essentially frontloading the cost of otherwise ‘throwaway’ purchases. You can do a reasonable bedroom for 5-8k depending on what you want.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I did DWR for my place and it isn’t that bad, if you consider you’ll never need to buy furniture again and you’re essentially frontloading the cost of otherwise ‘throwaway’ purchases. You can do a reasonable bedroom for 5-8k depending on what you want.

The problem with this sort of economics for me is that I tend to cycle between heavy nesting and "break these materialist bonds" asceticism, so I wind up getting rid of said "forever furniture" and inevitably rebuying later when I cycle back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol you need a 〜life partner〜 to manage these things instead.