Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

crepeface posted:

does this include Orthodox Christianity?

eastern orthodox specifically counted, the others generally didn't. so the balkans/greece/russia/georgia get into christendom that way but ethiopia for example does not. i'm sure there's no mysterious factor related to physical appearance causing that!

i guess i should be clear that i'm talking specifically about the extremely racist early modern/victorian conception of what "christendom" is because that view of the world is what created the borders of the european cultural sphere. nowadays the word does just mean "all christian-majority nations" basically.

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 04:36 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

why is Georgia considered Europe? it's to the east of Turkey and it's not even in the several traditional geographical boundaries. is it the Christianity? they're not any whiter than a Turk or Azeri so that can't be it.

It is inside some of the traditional geopraphical boundaries.

A is the Strahlenberg definition which is most commonly used today and puts all Caucasus countries south of Russia in Asia. But all alternative borders are further south and some of them put (at least parts of) Georgia in Europe.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jazerus posted:

eastern orthodox specifically counted, the others generally didn't. so the balkans/greece/russia/georgia get into christendom that way but ethiopia for example does not. i'm sure there's no mysterious factor related to physical appearance causing that!

i guess i should be clear that i'm talking specifically about the extremely racist early modern/victorian conception of what "christendom" is because that view of the world is what created the borders of the european cultural sphere. nowadays the word does just mean "all christian-majority nations" basically.
They had to respect the eastern orthodox due to russia/greece/the eastern roman empire

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So, politically motivated attempted assasination on “pro-Russian” Slovak premier.

Meanwhile I’m reading columnists in Dutch ostensibly lefty papers call Orban an anti-EU traitor who should be removed forthwith for daring to sign deals with an evil enemy such as Xi Jinping.

Liberals having a good one.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

So, politically motivated attempted assasination on “pro-Russian” Slovak premier.

Meanwhile I’m reading columnists in Dutch ostensibly lefty papers call Orban an anti-EU traitor who should be removed forthwith for daring to sign deals with an evil enemy such as Xi Jinping.

Liberals having a good one.

don't ask silly questions like why russia would wanna kill a PM friendly to them

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

the invention of the white race, by doctor yakub

will read this, thank you

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scores of major corporate sponsors have abandoned Copenhagen Pride for momentarily taking a stance on their sponsors' investments in genocide, which they immediately backed away from in addition to firing their communications chief. Their chairman of 15 years has also resigned. The new chairman promises to not touch these far away conflicts with a ten-foot sparkly rainbow pole.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm very carefully drawing a line around the bit of turkey on the balkan peninsula so that turkey is not in europe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bedpan posted:

I'm very carefully drawing a line around the bit of turkey on the balkan peninsula so that turkey is not in europe
but that's occupied europe

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well this brain trust is one step closer to forming a government in the Netherlands

from left to right: a fascist, a liberal-fascist, a fascist farmer, and uh a very confused christian-liberal.

They've produced a (fascist) list of plans, most of which cant be implemented because of Dutch law or EU and international treaties, and they've already started blaming the dumbest parts of it on eachother, so lets see how it goes.

spechtie has issued a correction as of 22:58 on May 16, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Would be cool if Europe wasn't set on imploding on purpose

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

reaction ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

why?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

HallelujahLee posted:

im going back in time and making sure the aztecs and incas can invade europe

didn't the mongols get as far west as poland? imagin.......

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I live there and so does my friends and family, would be cool they'd be ok

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Given what did throughout history, implosion seems pretty generous, OP.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
gently caress Europe srsly. Shopkeepers and big farmers they can all go gently caress themselves. Gladio brained bastards.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

workshopping:
- nlexit
- nethexit
- exijt
- i think thats the one

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

nolland

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol

still tho, exijt? eh? eh?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Høkxit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

THE BAR posted:

Høkxit.

they dont have ø in the netherlands ;_;

useful for the danish xit tho, taking notes

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

they dont have ø in the netherlands ;_;

useful for the danish xit tho, taking notes

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B8ken

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

got me worried there for a second but its an artists name, not a dutch word. musicians do love using random diacritics

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Deffo exijt

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

Het woord wordt meestal uitgesproken met een eu die het dichtst bij het Franse œuvre komt. Het hoort in ieder geval niet op keuken te rijmen.

I know, I know, pot/kettle, but this is not a real language.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

got me worried there for a second but its an artists name, not a dutch word. musicians do love using random diacritics

I actually thought it was added to the Dutch dictionary in some variation, but I was wrong!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fleetwood posted:

didn't the mongols get as far west as poland? imagin.......

Croatian coast.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

I actually thought it was added to the Dutch dictionary in some variation, but I was wrong!

are you sure it's not just a german dictionary that was written by someone who was blind drunk at the time?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Cerebral Bore posted:

are you sure it's not just a german dictionary that was written by someone who was blind drunk at the time?

it’s kind of both. it’s a neologism invented by one of the more nationally famous representatives of what little Low Saxon is still spoken in the Netherlands. they’re more Dutch than german, but more German than Dutch. that guy - Bennie Jolink - is actually quite decent, but a lot of his fans are basically petite bourgeoise protofascists who enjoy doing things like ramming tractors into government buildings and dumping tons of asbestos on the side of the road

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cerebral Bore posted:

germans would have to be pretty drunk to use ø

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oscarthewilde posted:

it’s kind of both. it’s a neologism invented by one of the more nationally famous representatives of what little Low Saxon is still spoken in the Netherlands. they’re more Dutch than german, but more German than Dutch. that guy - Bennie Jolink - is actually quite decent, but a lot of his fans are basically petite bourgeoise protofascists who enjoy doing things like ramming tractors into government buildings and dumping tons of asbestos on the side of the road

basically like mopedbart

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
went to see barry lyndon for the first time at a theater and what a beautiful movie, but also hilariously grim portraying the European aristocracy being held up by huge ponzi schemes and petty grudges that create arbitrary divisions amongst them and leading to bloody stupid wars.

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 13:02 on May 18, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

I have no idea about their fanbase, but I'm a huge fan of Normaal's music output. Their members don't strike me as particularly right-leaning.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Orange Devil posted:

Croatian coast.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

I know, I know, pot/kettle, but this is not a real language.

Bro ik ga je swaffelen

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its time to completely destroy the dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are there any slovak goons