Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wizard of the Deep posted:

And one Borg Kinetic Cutting Beam, which synergizes with the Console - Universal - Assimilated Module. I think that's still one of the better free consoles in the game. I'm lazy and usually run it on my setups.

AssMod is good, all hail AssMod.

The beam isnt so bad, but not so good as to worry about if/when you have anything better to put there.

Unless you optimize for Beam Overload, then the 2-piece bonus has a chance to proc regularly and is cool af when it does.

E: AssSnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HiroProtagonist posted:

Stirring poo poo in zone chat in ESD or Risa is honestly, as much of an indictment as it sounds like, once of the most entertaining portions of this game.

Not since 2004 or 2005 could you drop something like "kanye west is a trump supporter" into chat and say nothing else while a bunch of star trek nerds get progressively more angry with each other until one person starts dropping gamer words.

It's so effective these days that my enjoyment of the process has diminished.

Used to be putting a spark to the pile took some effort. You'd get a sense of pride and glee. Now that loonies are mainstream there isn't much challenge to it. Frankly I can't think up stuff to do that they aren't already doing to themselves by default.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

bij posted:

The phaser sets give you weapon haste, a second phaser omni-beam, and a cool giant aoe shield drain from using the Quantum Phase Torpedo with spread.

He's not kidding, I have the Quantum Phase spread in a couple places and it can just eat the shields from everything.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Here's my N'kaam Scout Ship (T5-U) as it is now. A bunch of it is just mission crap slotted to replace commons, but I'd appreciate some guidance on replacements. I love zooming around and being able to turn on a dime, but I'd like to be a bit beefier in the damage department and maybe get some more cool skills (bonus if they match the red colour scheme, but not absolutely necessary).

2x Ba'ul Antiproton Dual Beam Bank Mk XII (CrtD)x2 (Dmg)
Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII
Kinetic Cutting Beam Mk XII (Dmg)x3
Omni-directional Antiproton Beam Array Mk XII (Acc) (Arc) (Dmg)x2
Ancient Omni-directional Beam Array (Acc) (Arc) (Dmg)

Bajor Defense Deflector Array Mk XII (CrtX) (DrainX) (ShCap)
Resonating Secondary Deflector Mk XII (EPG) (HullCap)
Bajor Defense Hyper-impulse Engines Mk XII (Full)x2 (Spd)
Bajor Defense Hyper Injection Warp Core Mk XIII
Bajor Defense Covariant Shield Array Mk XII (Cap)x3

Engineering:
Pax RCS Accelerator Mk XII
Voth Phase Decoy

Science:
Defensive Drone Guardians
Temporal Anomaly Projector
Interphasic Instability
Shield Refrequencer Mk XII (ShHP)
Temporal Disentanglement Suite Mk XII

Tactical:
2x Vulnerability Locator Mk XII (AP)
Lorca's Custom Fire Controls Mk XII

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Rx King posted:

Does anyone need any T5 Infinity Ships? I've got like 30 of them and they are great for admiralty.

That would be awesome, I just opened up admiralty and need to start it.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The N'kaam lends itself to going hard on space magic. Science poo poo is SUPER GOOD right now but it requires some investment. You don't actually have to pay money but you gotta work towards all the bits.

Ship poo poo:
Re-Engineer all the stats on the Bajor Deflector to EPG
Deteriorating Secondary Deflector rolled to as much EPG + CTRLX
Temporal Rep Warp Core
Temporal Rep Engines
Temp Rep / Fleet/ Iconian Shield

Fore:
Gravimetric Torp
Crafted Particle Emissions Plasma Torp
Chronometric Polaron Beam Array (Time & Tide)

Aft:
Omni-Directional Chronometric Polaron Beam Array (Time & Tide)
Dyson Proton Weapon
Krenim Chroniton Torpedo Launcher (Time & Tide)

Sci Consoles:
5x Exotic Particle Focuser EPG - CTRLX from the Fleet Research Station

Eng - Tac - Universal:
Chronometric Capacitor (Time & Tide)
Delphic Tear Generator
Constriction Anchor
Borg Console
Anything with EPG or CTRLX
Console - Universal - Retrofitted Assimilator

Boffs:
GRAVITY WELL III
CHARGED PARTICLE BURST WHATEVER - You just use this to proc your secondary deflector, the actual damage doesn't matter
SUBSPACE VORTEX
VERY COLD IN SPACE
DELAYED OVERLOAD CASCADE
TORP SPREAD!!!!

Doffs:
Demera the Gravimetric Scientist from Support Eridan Belt Colonization Efforts
3x Projectile Mans
Emergency Conn Hologram
BONUS TIME GO CRAZY

No bit should cost more than 5M EC

Edit: Level your science crafting to 15 to get the Particle Manipulator space trait and use it.

bij fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 17, 2020

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

bij posted:

The N'kaam lends itself to going hard on space magic. Science poo poo is SUPER GOOD right now but it requires some investment. You don't actually have to pay money but you gotta work towards all the bits.

Ship poo poo:
Re-Engineer all the stats on the Bajor Deflector to EPG
Deteriorating Secondary Deflector rolled to as much EPG + CTRLX
Temporal Rep Warp Core
Temporal Rep Engines
Temp Rep / Fleet/ Iconian Shield

Fore:
Gravimetric Torp
Crafted Particle Emissions Plasma Torp
Chronometric Polaron Beam Array (Time & Tide)

Aft:
Omni-Directional Chronometric Polaron Beam Array (Time & Tide)
Dyson Proton Weapon
Krenim Chroniton Torpedo Launcher (Time & Tide)

Sci Consoles:
5x Exotic Particle Focuser EPG - CTRLX from the Fleet Research Station

Eng - Tac - Universal:
Chronometric Capacitor (Time & Tide)
Delphic Tear Generator
Constriction Anchor
Borg Console
Anything with EPG or CTRLX
Console - Universal - Retrofitted Assimilator

Boffs:
GRAVITY WELL III
CHARGED PARTICLE BURST WHATEVER - You just use this to proc your secondary deflector, the actual damage doesn't matter
SUBSPACE VORTEX
VERY COLD IN SPACE
DELAYED OVERLOAD CASCADE
TORP SPREAD!!!!

Doffs:
Demera the Gravimetric Scientist from Support Eridan Belt Colonization Efforts
3x Projectile Mans
Emergency Conn Hologram
BONUS TIME GO CRAZY

No bit should cost more than 5M EC

Edit: Level your science crafting to 15 to get the Particle Manipulator space trait and use it.

You actually can't get that Krenim Torpedo Launcher from Time and Tide, it was an event only thing. I would suggest the Neutronic Torpedo and Thoron Polaron Beam Array from the Delta Reputation. They have a set bonus that buffs Radiation damage, which is what your Secondary Deflector does. The torp also spreads a radiation dot to nearby targets. You could also grab the BIoneural Gelpack Console from the same reputation to get a big kinetic damage click ability that's buffed by EPG. I feel like that combo works better than the Particle Emission Torp, since the PEP relies on your target staying in the cloud, which Gravity Well helps with, but not always.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'll check out all that stuff, thanks. But I'm probably keeping my APs for fashion reasons. :hellyeah:

Speaking of which, is the Ba'ul Lobi Store stuff worth it?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

bij posted:

They've added a ridiculous amount of must-have lockbox traits, ship traits, universal consoles, and boff skills over the past few content updates that have buffed the crap out of science while also maximizing eye-burning visuals. And a lot of the newer TFOs rely on swarms of enemies and end up broken if you pop in with a Nebula and spam various types of spore-infused black holes and fire tornadoes. Science is an awesome ride right now, but I'm betting it gets nerfed again because of how trivial it makes all content, and that's saying something for this game.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

ericthebear posted:

That would be awesome, I just opened up admiralty and need to start it.

What's your @name in the game?

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005

Rx King posted:

Does anyone need any T5 Infinity Ships? I've got like 30 of them and they are great for admiralty.

Can I get one? Foner@nemins2

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Rx King posted:

What's your @name in the game?

K'Piggu@ericthebear#8230

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
dumb poo poo

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 19, 2020

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
I had a lot of fun with the Bird of Prey's and dual cannons until around lvl 40 when I started getting my poo poo pushed in randomly from spike and really just general damage. So I decided to switch to a battle cruiser with beam arrays and have done noticably better. For anyone else that hasn't gotten to rep/fleet gear I've found that with the following works pretty well:

Vor'cha Battle Cruiser Retrofit: lvl 50(?) free ship with 4/4 fore and aft weapon slots
The Measure of Morality(part 1): rare rifle, good for Khitomer since a portion of it is on the ground
The Khitomer Discord(event mission): rare disrupter beam array
Tactical Consoles with +disrupter dmg

I made 65 with this extremely basic build pretty easy compared to Bird of Preys. I actually wish I had switched sooner because 40-50 was a bit tedious. Also Afterlife quest for Klingons is bugged, use "Eject Warp Plasma" engineering bridge officer and mines to kill the untargetable ships near the planet.

Why does everyone roll need on greens in A House Divided TFO?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ericthebear posted:

Why does everyone roll need on greens?

Pubbies, dude.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dropped equipment is basically vendor trash. There's an occasional rare outlier (usually a purple tac console), but almost everything else has better equivalents from reps, fleet vendors, or whatever. Even weapons are usually better off crafted or bought at purple+ quality due to the cost of upgrading quality later, though green or blue stuff is fine enough as a leveling stopgap.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I was told it was customary to roll need on everything.

On that note, how much salvage does one require for re-engineering? I'm still levelling R&D, but I only just started salvaging.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A lot less than you'd think but more than you probably have? :geno: It's hard to say, but it's like 500 per roll and RNG is gonna RNG. Honestly trolling weapons isn't too bad since there's only a few mods per slot, but deflectors and such may take a while. It's the sort if thing where you get flat footed if you never salvage stuff and suddenly need to reroll, but trivial if you get into a habit of grinding stuff every now and then to build a supply.

Upgrading is definitely far worse.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Error 404 posted:

AssMod is good, all hail AssMod.

The beam isnt so bad, but not so good as to worry about if/when you have anything better to put there.

Unless you optimize for Beam Overload, then the 2-piece bonus has a chance to proc regularly and is cool af when it does.

E: AssSnipe

AssMod still good after all these years? Glad to hear it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Asimo posted:

A lot less than you'd think but more than you probably have? :geno: It's hard to say, but it's like 500 per roll and RNG is gonna RNG. Honestly trolling weapons isn't too bad since there's only a few mods per slot, but deflectors and such may take a while. It's the sort if thing where you get flat footed if you never salvage stuff and suddenly need to reroll, but trivial if you get into a habit of grinding stuff every now and then to build a supply.

Upgrading is definitely far worse.

Thanks. I have a bunch of Phoenix upgrades, but only had salvage from a few endeavors. Just gonna do that now instead of vendoring trash.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

If you ever need salvage just do one of the battlezones like Undine or Terran, especially at the end when it's just five minutes of non-stop enemy waves. You'll fill up your inventory completely with salvageable trash items easily. Works great for the endeavor too.

There's also some patrols that are good for salvage too (Search and Rescue comes to mind)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

super sweet best pal posted:

CritH is still harder to come by than CritD so its good times.
depending on build there are better consoles, but at that point you'd be tuning a build to a higher degree than my dumbass can help with.

As for newer, the lorca tac console from discovery rep is the same deal

+crith, + weapon power, and it gives a decent bonus for all weapons vs shields.

Again, as general advice, its good as gently caress, to the point you may want to sacrifice a locator for it.

And if you have room for the torp or dbb, the 2 piece gives you stacking critD on a critical hit.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 19, 2020

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

It's still good for a rep console. High end builds have largely left it behind, but that usually means replacing it with a bunch of lobi/z-store/lockbox consoles. Since omega marks are so easy to get, it still makes sense for newer players and undergeared alts to grab it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I mentioned to the nopps ppl that for a while now i had been unable to do STFs, that my stf screen was blank like this

After a while they diagnosed that my problem was that I had not done the mission "Duties of Command" the very first klingon mission, the one with the shrieking ferengi and the smuggling yintagh.

As part of the YeAr of The KLIngOn you have to go back and do that mission on your max lv everything main, or else you cant do STFs anymore.

Apparently there are situations where not doing that mission + being in certain maps makes it so you can never leave that map to go and finish it

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 19, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SplitSoul posted:

On that note, how much salvage does one require for re-engineering? I'm still levelling R&D, but I only just started salvaging.

I roll need on everything just so I have some trash in my inventory when I get a salvage endeavor.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SplitSoul posted:

I have picking need bound to one of my ability hotkeys.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

I have picking need bound to one of my ability hotkeys.

same, it's as easy as /bind <key> lootrollneed

so, so many useful commands buried in here https://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_console_commands

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

That's because no one needs the gear from STFs like they might in other games. In other MMOs people will use dropped gear from raids in actual builds, so the need/greed difference makes sense. But there is no build in this game that uses STF dropped gear. End-game builds all use rep/fleet/lobi/z-store/event gear. Even characters that aren't going for a build like that (admiralty alts, newer/poorer players, etc.) will still do better with crafted gear than by using whatever random stuff they pick up in STFs. Literally the only reason to pick up random junk like that is for salvage.

So since no one actually needs the gear, but 'need' has priority over 'greed', everyone just hammers the 'need' button.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

hakimashou posted:

I mentioned to the nopps ppl that for a while now i had been unable to do STFs, that my stf screen was blank like this

After a while they diagnosed that my problem was that I had not done the mission "Duties of Command" the very first klingon mission, the one with the shrieking ferengi and the smuggling yintagh.

As part of the YeAr of The KLIngOn you have to go back and do that mission on your max lv everything main, or else you cant do STFs anymore.

Apparently there are situations where not doing that mission + being in certain maps makes it so you can never leave that map to go and finish it

Best expansion ever, players love it, etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

Best expansion ever, players love it, etc.

Can't believe it's only been ~3 years.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The expansion that slowly made me quit the game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Guess they're doing another one of these.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11476123-mudd-has-faith-of-the-heart%21

Less interesting than the last one, since no promo shop and one can't even be used by klanks. :effort:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The expansion that slowly made me quit the game.

The expansion that on launch took the game from "jem hadar or galor is best ship because of layout/stats" to "this new lockbox ship literally makes you invulnerable so you can't die".

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DancingShade posted:

Can't believe it's only been ~3 years.

Six years

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well that's why he couldn't believe it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Time flies when you blink.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DancingShade posted:

The expansion that on launch took the game from "jem hadar or galor is best ship because of layout/stats" to "this new lockbox ship literally makes you invulnerable so you can't die".

Which ship is this? I love things that let me godmode through my general ineptitude.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hmm, I think I've got enough crit chance/severity but I'm not sure yet.

effective crit rate in combat is about 80%, wish I could pull this off in space hah!

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Hello Sailor posted:

Which ship is this? I love things that let me godmode through my general ineptitude.
While I can't be certain, they might be referencing the Zahl Heavy Cruiser's trait, Invincible.

Heal Buff and Unkillable at Low Hull
When reduced below 5% Hull:
+50% Incoming Hull Healing for 8 sec.
+50% Incoming Shield Healing for 8 sec
Unkillable for 8 sec
Once activated, this Trait cannot trigger again for 120 sec

This Starship Trait came from the Lobi ship associated with the Year of Hell Lock Box, the fourth of Delta Rising.

A similar ability comes from using the Temporal Operative captain primary specialization, the Tier 4 ability Continuity:

Space Skill

When reduced to less than 10% of your Hull, you will immediately be removed from danger. Your ship will teleport approximately 8km from its current location, become briefly untargetable, and have its hull and shields restored by a large amounts. This action will also wipe all accumulated threat vs. NPCs.

After Continuity is triggered, your ship will perform at less than full capacity for a short period of time, as the timelines adjust to this sudden shift of probability.

This effect may only trigger once every 3 minutes.

If Threatening Stance is active, Teleport and Threat wipe will not occur.

When reduced below 10% Hull, trigger Continuity (max once per 3 minutes)
When triggered, apply to self:
Teleport backwards 8km from current position and facing
+____ Hit Points
+____ Shield Regeneration per Facing
Also causes "Adjustment Period" debuff:
-80% All Damage for 20sec
-66.7% Flight Speed for 20sec

Additional investment completely removes the Adjustment Period debuff and adds a Reduced Cooldown on all Bridge Officer Abilities for 50%

Lorak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 21, 2020