Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

it's Kristi's turn in the VP market now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/8074/Who-will-place-second-in-the-2024-Iowa-Republican-caucuses

This is an interesting one. Trump's gonna win, but who will take second?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus i think ron is way overpriced at .40

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

jesus i think ron is way overpriced at .40

Yep. Usually some Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee overperforms (and typically wins, although Trump will win this year) in Iowa. DeSantis doesn't feel right at all.

Looks like there is still upward momentum in the buys for Desantis so I may hold off for a bit and see how high he gets.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah he can't do folksy and doesn't have a healthy trajectory

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep. Usually some Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee overperforms (and typically wins, although Trump will win this year) in Iowa. DeSantis doesn't feel right at all.

Looks like there is still upward momentum in the buys for Desantis so I may hold off for a bit and see how high he gets.

I still don't have money in this (yet) but I sort of think that Desantis is cut from the same cloth as Cruz, Huckabee, or for that matter Santorum. None of these men (DeSantis included) is charismatic in any way, I remember Huckabee trying to play the role of happy warrior but the rest of them are come combo of weird/awkward/repugnant, again DeSantis included. Of course none of them went anywhere after Iowa. What they all have in common is they all ran hard to the right of the eventual nominee. To me Iowa screams DeSantis, if anything Trump at 15 cents seems undervalued.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Sep 8, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I still don't have money in this (yet) but I sort of think that Desantis is cut from the same cloth as Cruz, Huckabee, or for that matter Santorum. None of these men (DeSantis included) is charismatic in any way, I remember Huckabee trying to play the role of happy warrior but the rest of them are come combo of weird/awkward/repugnant, again DeSantis included. Of course none of them went anywhere after Iowa. What they all have in common is they all ran hard to the right of the eventual nominee. To me Iowa screams DeSantis, if anything Trump at 15 cents seems undervalued.

Trump is crushing the Iowa polls so far, I really don't see any way he drops a single primary state this year

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Noem spiked in the GOP VP market last night, reaching 27 cents at one point

It's Her Turn (to make me money)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh lol thanks for reminding me, I scooped up a couple thousand shares in the teens and set a sell ten cents higher. let's go check!

edit rip I set the sell at .28

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022
https://kalshi.com/markets/manchin/manchin-leaves-dem-leadership#manchin-24nov06

The Kalshi market on Manchin "leaving" the Dem party is confusing to me. He's not running in 2024. Does that mean he's "leaving the Senate leadership of the Dem party"?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

animedatingsim posted:

https://kalshi.com/markets/manchin/manchin-leaves-dem-leadership#manchin-24nov06

The Kalshi market on Manchin "leaving" the Dem party is confusing to me. He's not running in 2024. Does that mean he's "leaving the Senate leadership of the Dem party"?
probably not since his term would be up in the following January

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gavin is at ~17 points for the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination. That's some dumb easy money.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

insane poo poo. that debate is probably his high water mark unless sleepy joe has a stroke

i'm sitting on $300 available and think i should just sink it into that instead of waiting for a better opportunity

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
I paid .90 for my shares many moons ago. Oops. Still have my .37 Biden Yes shares, though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gucci Loafers posted:

Gavin is at ~17 points for the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination. That's some dumb easy money.

Biden resigns during first term is also at 14. Nomination market resolves way earlier though, I guess freeing the money up earlier is worth a considerable amount.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gucci Loafers posted:

yeah he's really taken the spotlight for conservative maniacs despite not exactly being an electable candidate and certainly not running this cycle outside of Biden actually dying outright

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if biden drops dead tomorrow, the party lines up behind kamala and freezes him out anyway. he doesn't win a campaign, and certainly doesn't win an insurgent campaign

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Baddog posted:

Biden resigns during first term is also at 14. Nomination market resolves way earlier though, I guess freeing the money up earlier is worth a considerable amount.

I didn't see this market either. Looks like I am again making another deposit. :shepspends:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On another topic, Trump is at 40 points for the 2024 US Pres Election. And it's still trending up. I honestly don't get how it's that high and the trend.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gucci Loafers posted:

On another topic, Trump is at 40 points for the 2024 US Pres Election. And it's still trending up. I honestly don't get how it's that high and the trend.

probably cuz he's leading biden in the polls

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gucci Loafers posted:

Various polls have had him ahead recently in the primary (by a lot) and showing the general as close

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

biden's victory over trump in 2020 was razor thin despite disastrous pandemic and economic conditions

the economy might massively poo poo the bed between here and the general, which is not good for an incumbent

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gucci Loafers posted:

The race as of today looks pretty close to being a coin flip

You may wonder how the Dems have fumbled the bag that badly, and well, it's just what they do

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Definitely looking forward to 11 more months of "if you don't vote for biden YOU are the cause of the death of our democracy". Surely that's a winning platform.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baddog posted:

Definitely looking forward to 11 more months of "if you don't vote for biden YOU are the cause of the death of our democracy". Surely that's a winning platform.

got a friend that's still shrieking about trump putting kids in cages after nearly three years of biden asylum bullshit

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

The race as of today looks pretty close to being a coin flip

You may wonder how the Dems have fumbled the bag that badly, and well, it's just what they do
RIP my Terry McAuliffe shares from a +10 Biden state

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gucci Loafers posted:

I honestly don't get how it's that high and the trend.
be careful anyone out there that may think they are making a sure bet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=creay7X9XNU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My perspective is that the election are still nearly a year away. There is a lot that can still change and likely will change.

Basically, I have a difficult time putting a lot of weight into weather forecasts that are months and months away. I think people are taking recent polling too far but YMMV.

Gucci Loafers has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Dec 3, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Handy reference table for the next few years https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Baddog
May 12, 2001

distortion park posted:

Handy reference table for the next few years https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

I know you posted this re: great grampa B if re-elected, only about a 68% chance to make it 4 years... although that is with the average health care, which ain't great for your bog standard nursing home resident

but drat, it got me depressed looking at my expected number of years left.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Baddog posted:

I know you posted this re: great grampa B if re-elected, only about a 68% chance to make it 4 years... although that is with the average health care, which ain't great for your bog standard nursing home resident

but drat, it got me depressed looking at my expected number of years left.

Biden's also a lot healthier looking than the average guy his age (idk about trump) but it's gotta be a serious cap on any sort of bet similar to "biden/trump is president in 2027"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

distortion park posted:

Biden's also a lot healthier looking than the average guy his age (idk about trump) but it's gotta be a serious cap on any sort of bet similar to "biden/trump is president in 2027"
I would honestly bet on Trump dying of natural causes before Biden. He's only 3 years younger but is clearly unhealthy in a lot of ways (very obese, literally doesn't believe in exercise)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Given that Trump doesn't work out and almost always ate McDonalds or whatever terrible fast food joint time is not his side at all. On another note, with Trump serious legal woes and donors moving towards Nikki I am thinking I might put a bit down.

Does anyone else see any interesting opportunities?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gucci Loafers posted:

Given that Trump doesn't work out and almost always ate McDonalds or whatever terrible fast food joint time is not his side at all. On another note, with Trump serious legal woes and donors moving towards Nikki I am thinking I might put a bit down.

Does anyone else see any interesting opportunities?

If we're going to talk hypotheticals, I think Nikki would actually demolish Biden. She's at 10 though, that seems high already. Trump's lead over the field just seems to keep growing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2nd place iowa is the exciting market imo

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Baddog posted:

If we're going to talk hypotheticals, I think Nikki would actually demolish Biden. She's at 10 though, that seems high already. Trump's lead over the field just seems to keep growing.

I think she would at a minimum give Biden a challenge but the one flip side while he is slow he isn't an idiot either. On the other hand, she's a strong conservative whom got way, way too close Trump. Her record on things like the whole Confederate Flag thing are quite rough.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone looking to get more money into "it's going to be one of Trump or Biden, idiots" can get something like 30c worth of Noes in the GE market:

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7456/Who-will-win-the-2024-US-presidential-election

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Anybody making bank on 2nd place tonight?

Merlot Brougham has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well i was