Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rand is m’lady incarnate. He just needs Matt’s fedora and he’d be a verifiable goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean the maidens beat the poo poo out of him for doing that, which seems like a fair response.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Just finished Eye Of The World, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Loial is instantly one of my favorite characters now; a chill dude who enjoys his books. The Ogier and their backstory as the builders was interesting. His navigation through the creepy as gently caress Ways and Waygate was well done, and his attempt at trying to get them to go through a Waygate to one of the Steppings was heartfelt. His self-doubt about his Ogier status seems like it will make an interesting arc.

Traveling through The Blight and the Ways read like something out of a horror novel; that coupled with the Ba’alzamon dreams made me realize this series is darker and more serious than I originally thought, which is nice.

The Forsaken at the end, gently caress!

I hope to see more of Elyas and Thom Merrilyn — I miss them already.

Looking forward to both Egwene’s and Nynaeve’s story at Tar Valon. Elayne and Gawyn are heading there as well IIRC. Looking forward to see what’s up with Logain, too.

I like the Saidin and Saidar concept. The Dark One’s hail mary before his defeat & imprisonment made all the male Aes Sedai go insane is interesting, not to mention how the Saidin power remains corrupted to this day.

I’ll start The Great Hunt tomorrow!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing your impressions! The Great Hunt is generally regarded as one of the single best books in the series, so you are in for a treat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Love the reactions! Loial is absolutely great, to be sure.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And yeah it's not a horror series, but Jordan absolutely put horror elements in, and to very good effect

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That basically goes away, the first book is to tonally very different than the rest. I wish he would have changed it up more throughout the series since he proved capable of doing it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Invalid Validation posted:

That basically goes away, the first book is to tonally very different than the rest. I wish he would have changed it up more throughout the series since he proved capable of doing it.

It's still there in books 2 and 3 but The Shadow Rising marks a pretty hard shift away.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It really doesn't go away. Right in the very next book with the flies, even.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I’d argue TGH is the most SF influenced - there are like 3 separate explorations of parallel worlds - the portal stone flickering, the entire interlude in the empty world, and the accepted tests that occur, which definitely is unusual in a fantasy book like this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Great Hunt is phenomenal. Enjoy it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This is true. The Great Hunt is not only a top-end book in the series (including my very favorite sequence), but there's so much in it that matters massively later.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Invalid Validation posted:

Nah, there's always horror stuff popping up now and then. The bubbles of evil, the peddler and the long dead village, the berzerk undead village by night, the ghost haunted town, etc. poo poo keeps getting darker and weirder the closer to the Last Battle things get.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gnoman posted:

This is true. The Great Hunt is not only a top-end book in the series (including my very favorite sequence), but there's so much in it that matters massively later.

Which sequence? The Light, and Shinowa! ?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Nah, there's always horror stuff popping up now and then. The bubbles of evil, the peddler and the long dead village, the berzerk undead village by night, the ghost haunted town, etc. poo poo keeps getting darker and weirder the closer to the Last Battle things get.

Yes but it never really has the same feeling that the first one does. The first one is very much a horror book through most it. Literally being chased by death while he slowly goes insane.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
The circus has its own special horrors.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

The circus has its own special horrors.

Listen, Elayne is not that bad of a character.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's good, but not quite it.

The very end, beginning with "The Dragon banner rippled on the wind over the middle of the camp. Somewhere they had found a proper staff to replace Perrin’s sapling.", when Rand has finally proclaimed himself and the first men swear to him. There's something about that scene that always hits hard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I didn’t mind the circus. 4-8 is probably my favourite section of the series.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The circus trips me out because my dogs name is Luca

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Those 3 chapters are among my favorite sequences in the books.

The two-skip-one in TSR ending with Goldeneyes.

The last 11 chapters of TFoH.

etc

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

I was also bummed about Green Man’s demise. :smith:

Loveshaft fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 18, 2020

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah :(

It's like meeting the Ents and then immediately there's a forest fire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gnoman posted:

a fun thing in the series is just how much in earlier books is relevant in the later ones, and you won't even notice unless you're rereading it or deliberately looking for that sort of thing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yup. There is an enormous amount of foreshadowing. It is so so well done

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Rand just not understanding or believing Ingtar ... yeah Rand, your adventure buddy for the entire length of this book is not who you think he is.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The part when they enter the Blight and everything is so over-the-top dangerous rocks. The thing I can’t remember that’s in the lakes in Malkier, and the things that the worms are afraid of that I don’t think ever shows up again?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

The part when they enter the Blight and everything is so over-the-top dangerous rocks. The thing I can’t remember that’s in the lakes in Malkier, and the things that the worms are afraid of that I don’t think ever shows up again?

The hundred lakes monster is awesome. And yeah, what the worms fear lives in the high passes and is never named or described - which I love. It works so much better than anything he could have come up with.

quote:

Just then something roiled the waters of the nearest lake, the dark water phosphorescing as a huge body rolled beneath the surface. Length on man-thick length sent ripples spreading, rolling on and on until at last a tail rose, waving a point like a wasp’s stinger for an instant in the twilight, at least five spans into the air. All along that length fat tentacles writhed like monstrous worms, as many as a centipede’s legs. It slid slowly beneath the surface and was gone, only the fading ripples to say it had ever been.

Rand closed his mouth and exchanged a look with Perrin. Perrin’s yellow eyes were as disbelieving as he knew his own must be. Nothing that big could live in a lake that size. Those couldn’t have been hands on those tentacles. They couldn’t have been.

quote:

“Won’t the Worms follow us into the mountains?” Egwene asked breathlessly, and Lan gave a sharp laugh.

“They won’t. Worms are afraid of what lives in the high passes.” Loial moaned again.

Aginor's little shop of horrors must have really been something during the War of Power.

EDIT - misread previous post and fixed my response

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One of my favorite details is that one of the Forsaken muses later on how the "worms" will never mature now. Really feeds into the whole toxic-waste leftovers feel of the Blight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gnoman posted:

One of my favorite details is that one of the Forsaken muses later on how the "worms" will never mature now. Really feeds into the whole toxic-waste leftovers feel of the Blight.

For some reason I thought they became the golem or w/e

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Don't think so. Gholam were noted as having a very very specific, limited number ever made.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah they were understandably really wary about having a bunch of hosed up rubber people that can slip into tiny cracks and can just ignore the one power running around

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gnoman posted:

which means that in the AOL there was probably some kind of bizarre hell-butterfly running around :stonk:

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Gnoman posted:

There's a short story that Sanderson wrote alongside the last book that, among other things, includes a fully-matured "worm". it turns into a giant loving dragon that can't be harmed by the power

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ani posted:

There's a short story that Sanderson wrote alongside the last book that, among other things, includes a fully-matured "worm". it turns into a giant loving dragon that can't be harmed by the power

I found it funny/obvious because it's a dragon guarding the holy grail

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ani posted:

There's a short story that Sanderson wrote alongside the last book that, among other things, includes a fully-matured "worm".

Of course there is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I found it funny/obvious because it's a dragon guarding the holy grail

goddamnit every so often something gets pointed out that makes me go OF loving COURSE

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1341805779678982149?s=20

https://twitter.com/i/events/1341862273153810432?s=20

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Guitar :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

beer? was it ever called beer in the books? ever?