Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chillgamesh posted:

I think Y'shtola or maybe one of the twins mentions in an incidental non-quest dialogue they're actually a direct democracy, not a representative democracy

They mention that Sharlayan was a direct democracy and that the majority of their systems and policies were voted in through this, then they voted to establish the Forum composed of 99 members. It looks like they transitioned to a representative democracy from a direct democracy by will of the people, potentially because as their population grew that system might've begun becoming unwieldy but maybe it'll be a major plot point come Endwalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rand Brittain posted:

Odin has always been weird and doesn't seem to obey any of the "normal" rules for how primals function.

It occurs to me that the Zantetsuken is basically the "cursed item" version of Save the Queen.

It also occurs to me that Save the Queen is possibly the most impressive thing that the Allagans ever created, beating out even the Crystal Tower or Dalamud. It basically bypasses their whole magitech theme and goes straight into pure, unadulterated sorcery to create a do-it-yourself god kit.

I'm of the belief that this might actually be intentional, and Save the Queen and Zantetsuken/Shin-Zantetsuken might be related. Consider that they are all overly long, kinda jaggedy blades that summon primals to some degree, and all seem to originate from a very specific distant corner of the world; katanas are known to be a Far Eastern weapon, with Zantetsuken being a clearly Far Eastern name, while we also know Save the Queen to be from the Ivalice region.

We know that Odin (and therefore presumably Raiden) dates back to the Allagan Empire. So I suspect that Zantetsuken and Shin-Zantetsuken are imperfect efforts at creating Save the Queen, but I'm not sure which would've come first. Either they made Save the Queen, lost it, and tried recreating it with Eureka, or they had an idea, Eureka proved unfit, and later they learned auracite could do they job.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I remembered the part about trying to find the hidden treasure room to kickstart Ala Mhigo's economy but I didn't remember that.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Moofia can't read

There's been a lot of real estate on the game any time Ala Mhigos history is brought up about how hosed up the Mad King was.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Moofia Boss Val posted:

A king is invested in the fate of his country. It is in his selfinterest to ensure the wellbeing and prosperity of his people and his land. The king cannot easily walk away from his kingdom when things go south; his fate is anchored to it. If his people revolt or his kingdom is invaded, he and his family will most likely die. The king is extremely motivated to act in the best interests of his kingdom.

Elected officials in a democracy, however, are not invested in the fate of their country. They do not own the land or the people, nor are they at personal risk if things go south. The worst thing that can happen to an elected official is that they don't win reelection. As such, elected officials tend to not act in the best interests of their country, but for personal gain. They will take bribes/lobbying money or pay back favors by voting to do things that are counter to the wellbeing of the people and the country.

Furthermore, kings are highly visible public figures. They cannot act as a tyrant, or else they won't be king for very long. Pop culture likes to depict evil kings a lot, but in history most evil kings who fell in line were quickly punished and regined in by the aristocracy, and if not... they were overthrown and killed, and replaced by someone else who doesn't antagonize the populace. Whereas democracy as an institution exists to hide who the real decision makers are (usually wealthy unelected officials who are bribing the elected officials to work for them). People in feudal kingdoms were often more free than people in modern democratic societies, but I digress.

this is insane, keep going

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Look it's either this or five months of complaining about the quality and quantity of Zenos appearances

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

multijoe posted:

Look it's either this or five months of complaining about the quality and quantity of Zenos appearances

If we're gonna argue about that, I'm going to demand all arguments provide a graph showing the average quantity and quality of both from their perspective.

The monarchy vs. democracy argument doesn't have a burden of graphs, but only because I'm not sure how one would graph kingliness.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The mad king turned his family into monsters to avoid them betraying him. Think that fits the mad description. You fight said family members in the dungeon to get the treasure

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Twibbit posted:

The mad king turned his family into monsters to avoid them betraying him. Think that fits the mad description. You fight said family members in the dungeon to get the treasure

yeah but just think of what he would have done to them if he was the president instead

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

If we're gonna argue about that, I'm going to demand all arguments provide a graph showing the average quantity and quality of both from their perspective.

The monarchy vs. democracy argument doesn't have a burden of graphs, but only because I'm not sure how one would graph kingliness.

Bottom of scale King Moogle Mog
Top of Scale Allison from K6BD.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

multijoe posted:

I like the look of his scythe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Okay, so I grabbed the notes that mention Emmerololth! Also contains some good stuff on Eureka and the fact it's essentially creation magic, so here, have it all.
Like I remembered, this implies that the Students already knew what an Ascian was--and possibly had knowledge of their ranks enough to already be familiar with Emmerololth (either that, or they introduced themselves at the time, which also seems weird). It also seems like they were specifically hiding Eureka from the Ascians, which implies already knowing they're an adversary rather than being surprised about their intentions.

Also maybe worth nothing: Galuf uses the Garlean term, eikon, rather than 'primal'. Not sure what that might mean.

Hmm, was it discovered by the ascians, or did someone in Sharalyan leak it to them, in part to get rid of a political rival?

Edit:

Cleretic posted:

Fabulousness of facial hair? (Which would put Wilhelm II near the top, hmm).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

stev posted:

I like the look of his scythe.

Gun scythe!! I also appreciate that he got an outfit makeover. I let out an "aaawwww yeah" when meanwhile in the capital popped up

Moofia is this a gimmick?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

hazardousmouse posted:

Moofia is this a gimmick?

I gotta say, pretending to forget entire swathes of the game and then making poo poo up whole cloth to support posts like like "Monarchism Is Good" or "Forchenault Did Nothing Wrong, Except Live In A Democracy" is kinda funny

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I gotta say, pretending to forget entire swathes of the game and then making poo poo up whole cloth to support posts like like "Monarchism Is Good" or "Forchenault Did Nothing Wrong, Except Live In A Democracy" is kinda funny

"-sigh- I once again can't believe how biased the game is towards democracy" is possibly the strongest.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I sigh as I draw my royal proclamation

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah it is funny but in a way that makes me recoil violently. Which Is a disconcerting sensation

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

hazardousmouse posted:

Gun scythe!! I also appreciate that he got an outfit makeover. I let out an "aaawwww yeah" when meanwhile in the capital popped up

I don't even like Zenos, and I did the same thing. The 'Meanwhile' scenes in Shadowbringers were always great, in large part because they lasted for exactly the right length of time that a Zenos scene remains interesting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah it is funny but in a way that makes me recoil violently. Which Is a disconcerting sensation

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He only started to get into fun mode again in the 5.55 cutscene but at least, at long last, he's out of that friggin chair

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The two sweetest phrases in FFXIV are "several cutscenes will play in sequence" and "Meanwhile, in the Imperial Capital..."

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

zenos!!! stop dicking around in the patch-ending stinger and come fight me you coward!!!!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
He's dicking around cause that's how he gets our attention. Poor dude is so busted he literally doesn't know any other way of getting us to come over other than committing atrocities

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well it's also that he wants us pissed/giving it our all, rather then "oh, you again, lets just get this over with."

I'm worried he's going to off someone we do genuinely care about. (Or well, at least most players care about.)

e: Now I'm imagining Zenos killing someone he thinks we care about, but don't actually.
Zenos, standing infront of a village of slain Namazu: "Does this boil your blood, dear friend? Is your thirst for vengence great?"
WoL: -shrug-

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just want to point out that Sharlayan is technically a representative technocracy, not a true democracy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hazardousmouse posted:

He's dicking around cause that's how he gets our attention. Poor dude is so busted he literally doesn't know any other way of getting us to come over other than committing atrocities

He doesn't just want a sparring match, he wants the the greatest title fight ever. The match of the century eternity. And since he knows we're so.... hesitant, the only way he's gonna be confident we're gonna come out swinging with 110% the second that bell rings is if he destroys half the godsdamned world and threatens the other half with destruction if we don't stop him.

I don't think he even cares if he wins or loses the fight. Its not like there is any meaning in his life left after it anyways.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Just want to point out that Sharlayan is technically a representative technocracy, not a true democracy.

Sigh, typical, always talking up how great popular representation is until bad things happen and suddenly it’s “that wasn’t a REAL democracy” :rolleyes:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Oxyclean posted:

Well it's also that he wants us pissed/giving it our all, rather then "oh, you again, lets just get this over with."

I'm worried he's going to off someone we do genuinely care about. (Or well, at least most players care about.)

e: Now I'm imagining Zenos killing someone he thinks we care about, but don't actually.
Zenos, standing infront of a village of slain Namazu: "Does this boil your blood, dear friend? Is your thirst for vengence great?"
WoL: -shrug-

It's fun playing guess who could die. I think Y'shtola is safe because she's the FFXIV rep in other SE stuff. Thancred just had an entire expansion full of death flags and he survived so I think he's safe. Urianger wouldn't properly enrage people. G'raha is an easy target to kill and piss people off given how many love him, however he doesn't really throw up any flags lately. I think it's Alphinaud after doing the patch.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chillgamesh posted:

Sigh, typical, always talking up how great popular representation is until bad things happen and suddenly it’s “that wasn’t a REAL democracy” :rolleyes:

Real democracy has never been tried

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Eimi posted:

It's fun playing guess who could die. I think Y'shtola is safe because she's the FFXIV rep in other SE stuff. Thancred just had an entire expansion full of death flags and he survived so I think he's safe. Urianger wouldn't properly enrage people. G'raha is an easy target to kill and piss people off given how many love him, however he doesn't really throw up any flags lately. I think it's Alphinaud after doing the patch.

Oh no
I feel like alph is off limits which means it's alisae :ohdear:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eimi posted:

G'raha has tried to sacrifice himself to save the world three times, I think he's pretty much safe until he exits the story again. One of the twins seems like the best bet, they've been the most consistently in focus so it would be a real gut punch.

hazardousmouse posted:

Oh no

The fact that Alphinaud is essentially the secondary protagonist makes it more likely that he'll die in this, the finale of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark story!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

Oh no

Begemot posted:

G'raha has tried to sacrifice himself to save the world three times, I think he's pretty much safe until he exits the story again. One of the twins seems like the best bet, they've been the most consistently in focus so it would be a real gut punch.
The fact that Alphinaud is essentially the secondary protagonist makes it more likely that he'll die in this, the finale of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark story!

Yeah, Alisaie gets the outfit change, but also this patch was just full of Alphinaud death flags. I can easily see him sacrificing himself to prevent some other loss because he's seen too many people die for him to allow it anymore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dear Mr. Yoship, there are too many twins nowadays. Please eliminate one. I am not a crackpot.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Moenbryda Wilfsunnwyn is coming back in 6.0! Please look forward to it!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

We're gonna have a big battle with Fandaniel and Zenos, who manifest both Hydaelyn and Zodiark, and in order to prevent another Sundering from happening, Alphinaud and Alisaie will sacrifice themselves to become the new Elidibus and Venat, take control of the twin Gods, and have them permanently seal each other away.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

We're gonna have a big battle with Fandaniel and Zenos, who manifest both Hydaelyn and Zodiark, and in order to prevent another Sundering from happening, Alphinaud and Alisaie will sacrifice themselves to become the new Elidibus and Venat, take control of the twin Gods, and have them permanently seal each other away.

Oooh, that's good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arist posted:

Dear Mr. Yoship, there are too many twins nowadays. Please eliminate one. I am not a crackpot.

Look if Zenos wants to kill someone who will turn both the WoL and the player into frothing berserkers, it's one of them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

honestly I think since the arc is concluding they might for once address the consequences of y'shtola cheating death so many times and have her choose to go out with a bang instead of a whimper

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In 6.0 Y’shtola will cast Flow and finally land where she meant to go

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe we'll finally get to see the Twins use Twincast. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I think the entire group of Scions should elect to sacrifice themselves to save the world.