Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

I think that's the current highest APY, and he's on a redemption path playing for the most beloved team in the league. Jared Goff has come a long drat way from 10 points in a Superbowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man…that feels like an overpay for Goff but the Lions had to do it. Their window is wide open for the next 3-4 years and this is the best team Lions fans have had their entire life. Gotta ride it as long as you can.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think that's the current highest APY, and he's on a redemption path playing for the most beloved team in the league. Jared Goff has come a long drat way from 10 points in a Superbowl.

Burrow is higher I believe

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Tua, Love, and Dak are gonna get paid.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Kirios posted:

Man…that feels like an overpay for Goff but the Lions had to do it. Their window is wide open for the next 3-4 years and this is the best team Lions fans have had their entire life. Gotta ride it as long as you can.

It's like ever QB contract, in 2 years it'll seem cheap. Hell it'll probably seem cheap when love signs for 56 million per year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He's #2. Right behind Burrow and right ahead of Herbert

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kirios posted:

Why do you think their window is wide open for the next 3-4 years?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Tua, Love, and Dak are gonna get paid.

The big question is who's going to pay Dak cause it ain't gonna be Jerry

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

Hot Take: If the Dolphins don't pay Tua, they'll pay Dak. If not the Dolphins, possibly the Rams if Stafford retires.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ew, gross

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Why do you think their window is wide open for the next 3-4 years?

Young core with a good mix of locked in elite players and solid contributors on rookie contracts?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In the NFC

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I can’t imagine why a team that just made it to the NFC Championship still has their window open.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Black Sunshine posted:

Young core with a good mix of locked in elite players and solid contributors on rookie contracts?

I don’t think it’s a convincing case.

They only have three elite players. All three are on offense though which is good.

Their qb is a pumpkin and missed multiple wide open receives in the championship game.

Their defense over performed in the playoff run and still had quite a few holes.

Their OC is gone after this year.

I think they are about to reap what all their missed trades and prioritization of non-premium positions has sowed.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Obviously the lions own and are one of the best stories of the nfl.

I want them to continue succeeding but it seems very plausible that last season was their best chance.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't buy that at all. They've had high draft picks for three years and they've generally nailed all of those drafts. They have as much good young talent as any team in the league, potentially more than anyone else in fact. That's why their widow is open, for now and for some time in the future.

Last year was the first time they won more than ten games in God knows how long, acting like that was the beginning and end of their period of success is silly. Of course it may not work out, but they've got a very good shot at it. Good teams who only added to their talent pool rarely get worse over an offseason.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I believe in Muscle Coach.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah the only decision they had to make was whether or not they stuff with Goff or rolled the dice but their core is pretty young.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Steelers v Broncos Wild Card match up (2011) is gonna play on NFL Network in 10 minutes for the sickos out there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

They only have three elite players. All three are on offense though which is good.

Their qb is a pumpkin and missed multiple wide open receives in the championship game.

Their defense over performed in the playoff run and still had quite a few holes.

I think they are about to reap what all their missed trades and prioritization of non-premium positions has sowed.

thought this was about the Niners at first

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why would bears team take the time and mental effort to float out a hit piece on fields though? They just drafted their shiny new qb and traded the guy who couldn't figure it out. The bulk of these accusations occurred two years ago with players and entire staff being replaced in the interim. Who could even be the ax grinder left in the organization save for maybe one of the Halas children being mad cause fields was "their" pick?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think any of the sources in the Fields story were guys still with the team, considering the entire offensive coaching staff other than the O-Line coach got replaced this offseason. Also if the organization was gonna actively leak a sour grapes story it would have almost certainly been laundered through a local beat reporter, not a relatively random Substack guy.

It seems like the reporter just decided the timing was right to do an article that was part looking forward on Caleb, part retrospective on Fields, and because the dust has mostly cleared from the Fields era, he found sources that were willing to speak candidly about their perspective. (And I assume those sources were eager to get some anecdotes out in the public that paint Fields in a negative light, because it might help their odds of finding future employment)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

They're not three elite players and a bunch of bums, Gibbs, LaPorta, Goff, and Decker are all varying degrees of good to excellent. They just signed Kevin Zeitler at guard so I don't know much about him but he made the Pro Bowl last year, and there's 8 of 11 guys who are solidly above average at least on offense.

Also Aidan Hutchinson would like a word, 2nd in the NFL in pressures when the rest of the Lions pass rush was guys they signed off the street midseason.

quote:

Honestly there weren't too many Jared Goof sightings this year. Outside of an admittedly garbage stretch from weeks 10-13 of 3 picks vs CHI, 3 lost fumbles vs GB, clean @ NO, and 2 picks and a lost fumble @ CHI, he had 7 turnovers in the other 13 games, and zero in three playoff games. A couple other times he got bailed out (or he bailed himself out, like the loss****** against Dallas), but he was mostly fantastic. His legs and his arm will never make the highlight reels, but by the numbers he's a top 10 QB, and it just costs $50 million+ to keep a top 10 QB around these days.

quote:

Overperformed relative to what? They sucked out loud for most of the playoffs, mostly in the passing game, and as far as holes are concerned they did about as much as any team can do in an offseason to revamp their CB room (signed a new CB1 and signed a new CB2 and drafted a CB in the first round AND drafted a CB in the second round)

quote:

Notwithstanding what the actual impact of losing Ben Johnson would be, this is what everybody has been saying for the past two years, and he's still here.

quote:

I don't know what you mean by this unless you're still hung up on them spending first-round picks on a RB and LB in the 2023 draft. They are prioritizing premium positions! They just locked down their All-Pro receiver, their All-Pro tackle, and their top-10 quarterback in the last three weeks!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

tinstaach posted:

I don't know what you mean by this unless you're still hung up on them spending first-round picks on a RB and LB in the 2023 draft. They are prioritizing premium positions! They just locked down their All-Pro receiver, their All-Pro tackle, and their top-10 quarterback in the last three weeks!

I think the Lions will be good this year and for years to come, but I don't know that making your right tackle the highest paid offensive lineman in history necessarily jibe with "prioritizing premium positions"

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Shrimpy posted:

I think the Lions will be good this year and for years to come, but I don't know that making your right tackle the highest paid offensive lineman in history necessarily jibe with "prioritizing premium positions"

I dunno it's been pretty good having never thought about the right tackle position for a decade as an eagles fan tbh

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Penei might very well move to LT after Decker is gone.

He’ll be an All-Pro and a Pro Bowler at that position, too.

He’s only 23.

He is a demon.

https://x.com/pff/status/1788630017020252668?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Drafting RBs high is good and cool. You just never pay them a 2nd deal.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

My man, you're about to make this Packer fan defend the Lions. Dear god.

quote:

Amon-Ra is a Top 3 Slot WR and a Top 10 WR in humble opinion. Penei Sewell can make a case as the best right tackle in the NFL. Jahymr Gibbs and David Montgomerey behind that OLine can run down any defense. Sam LaPorta is on his way to quickly being in that elite TE category. Jared Goff can make almost all the throws in the scheme they run. They also have a guy whose name is Aidan Hutchinson. He's pretty good. They got dawgs everywhere.

quote:

They lost because they didn't take easy field goals or WRs dropped passes. Solely blaming Goff for that loss is wild.

quote:

All they were lacking really was in the secondary. That is now fully addressed. Sure, their defense was overperforming. But that was the result of good coaching and immense pressure on the rest of the defense to cover for their dogshit secondary.

quote:

They are the Brand New Lions. Any offensive genius who wants a strong culture that is now fully rebuilt and in a championship window will jump at the opportunity to become their OC if Ben Johnson leaves. They will be fine. Good teams hire good coaches.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
With the cap forever going up and other QBs about to get paid, that Goff contract is going to look very reasonable in a year or so's time

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Asproigerosis posted:

I dunno it's been pretty good having never thought about the right tackle position for a decade as an eagles fan tbh

I'm not saying it's unimportant, just that the right tackle position isn't generally lumped in as a "premium position" and is now one the Lions are going to be spending a lot on. Maybe all of this is moot and they do move Sewell to LT, but it's not a given that will work out.

The Lions are doing their own thing and I think it's interesting, but there's no sense in pretending they're not.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm personally really excited to see how the Lions' defense performs this year. Ever since the holy trinity of Darius Slay, Quande Diggs, and Glover Quinn got chased off the secondary has been absolutely awful, and I cannot tell you how many goddamn times the Lions have backed an opponent into third and long only to have the bastards convert it because our UDFA CB2 hosed up somehow. This year will be the first time in a long time the Lions will have a secondary with real talent and depth, and I'm excited to see how works out. (aaron glenn do not gently caress this up)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
People shouldn’t hire Ben Johnson.

Here is a small list of red flags from him:

* Ben Johnson routinely tricks people into thinking Fruit Stripe gum is long lasting.

* Ben Johnson once gave Crohn’s Disease to a concert pianist as a prank.

* Ben Johnson sabotaged the internal finances of Toys ‘R Us, which ultimately led to their bankruptcy and liquidation. It was also during this time that he used the money he grifted away from them to purchase a run down bowling alley, which he renovated, and demolished with a wrecking ball during it’s grand opening. Just because he could.

* Ben Johnson once drove through a car wash at full speed with a Cadillac Escalade. This was after he robbed a pet food store with a compound bow.

* I also once saw Ben Johnson at an IKEA trying to sell bootleg cinnamon rolls in the parking lot out of the trunk of his hatchback. They smelled bizarre and were of dubious texture and quality. He kept straightening his wig the whole time. I didn’t even know he wore a wig! The whole thing was extremely weird.

* Whilst recovering from his injury, rumor has it that James Houston witnessed Ben Johnson cutting tags off of mattresses and initiating people into the Yakuza.

* Ben Johnson stole Dave Fipp’s eyelids. He walked up to him, snatched his eyelids right off his face, and shouted “GOT YOUR EYELIDS!” before skedaddling away into a waiting car. Ben Johnson then pawned Fipp’s eyelids at a pawn shop.

(Dave Fipp, pictured here)

* Ben Johnson wears white after Labor Day, and also thinks circus peanuts are the best candy.

NO TEAM SHOULD HIRE BEN JOHNSON.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Shinjobi posted:

Raiders

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As a card carrying member of the nfc east player haters club, I will always cherish the spurned lover left at the altar story about Washington team and Ben Johnson turning them down.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Goff has thrown for 4500 yards the last two years with a great TD to Int ratio. Why would anyone not pay him?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Game 2

https://x.com/bengals/status/1790346772054766037?s=46&t=G8Aq6A5iUmw5R1Z4gfWSjw

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

tempting fate

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1790357469241167985

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Shrimpy posted:

I'm not saying it's unimportant, just that the right tackle position isn't generally lumped in as a "premium position" and is now one the Lions are going to be spending a lot on. Maybe all of this is moot and they do move Sewell to LT, but it's not a given that will work out.

The Lions are doing their own thing and I think it's interesting, but there's no sense in pretending they're not.

as a fan of a team that's been starting various garbage cans at RT for two decades now, the idea of a RT being so elite that he's getting megabucks is a very funny problem to have

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Thank Jesus it's at Levi's and not the Meadowlands, I still have traumatic memories of that loving field ruining our season in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I been waiting with bated breath for this subforum to catch a whiff of what Harrison Butkers been up to lately