Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SRM posted:

I'm curious to see what the actual Sisters of Battle models will look like. I get this is a recreation of an iconic piece of art, but I'm wondering if they'll change up the look of regular Sisters at all when they get their due. At the moment, the boobplate and gothic as gently caress stylings are just the way Sisters look, like it's not endemic of some greater cheesecake styling that gets carried over to all their minis like Raging Heroes or whatever.

Yea I guess I was just pumped for the idea of a decent looking all female army, and this is very much a well done throw back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Apparently the GW Christmas boxes have a fleur-de-lis on them.

GW are actively loving with us now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I just don't get why they'd do it in resin? I understand re-doing old metal models in resin and stuff but if it's a new sculpt then why not plastic?

Plastic molds are much more expensive than resin ones. You only do plastic for models you're confident you're going to sell a ton of. It's why you don't really see HQ units that aren't space marines in plastic unless they're part of a boxed set or a big enough creature to make the molding more cost effective.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Are the Christmas premium boxes limited to this month or will they continue to sell them?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plastic molds are much more expensive than resin ones. You only do plastic for models you're confident you're going to sell a ton of. It's why you don't really see HQ units that aren't space marines in plastic unless they're part of a boxed set or a big enough creature to make the molding more cost effective.
That's not quite true and hasn't been for a while. GW has a decent range of plastic character models (both 40k and WHFB/AoS) and has even put out a limited edition model in plastic. Don't get me wrong, there's more than a few marine models in there, but it's not like they're a majority. Maybe a plurality.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Percelus posted:

i found 12 fire warriors, 2 drones, 3 xv86 crisis suits and 6 pathfinders. where should i go from here?

Another 12 Fire warriors to make your army legal, and a battlesuit commander to tag along with your crisis suits.

A Devilfish or two would be useful for your Fire warriors/Pathfinders and I'd recommend doing that with a Hammerhead kit as those are rad and you can just pop off the turret to use it as a devilfish with smart missile system.

Broadsides are good heavy support choices, but I like Hammerhead squadrons myself, even if dice rolls will make you miss for 5 turns straight.

It really depends on how you want to play, fluffy and friendly or tournaments. Riptides are hot poo poo in Tau and people like to spam them, but I don't take more than one in my lists.

e: but to start of with, and not have too much to paint and build, a box of fire warriors and the commander should be your next buy.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ANAmal.net posted:

Those sprues are great, I picked up a couple so that all my non-Dark Vengeance dudes still get a logo on their shoulder pad, and the heads and plasma pistol bits are so cool that I keep using them even though plasma pistols have exploded and killed the user (multiple times a game) more than they've ever done anything useful (cored out a Dreadnought with some lucky sixes, once, ever).

Oh, I'm much dumber than that. I'm using transfers and smooth shoulder pads for a uniform look, so I just stare at the embossed pads as they sit there useless. I'll probably use them for something, eventually.

I have put some of the other bits on guys, though, so it's not a complete waste.

Those helms are just too good at making the sgts look awesome. Coupled with the squad backpack banners they look positively custom and very easy to pick out from the squad. I'll have to get my camera out and take pics of the small amount of guys I have done.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

Another 12 Fire warriors to make your army legal, and a battlesuit commander to tag along with your crisis suits.

A Devilfish or two would be useful for your Fire warriors/Pathfinders and I'd recommend doing that with a Hammerhead kit as those are rad and you can just pop off the turret to use it as a devilfish with smart missile system.

Broadsides are good heavy support choices, but I like Hammerhead squadrons myself, even if dice rolls will make you miss for 5 turns straight.

It really depends on how you want to play, fluffy and friendly or tournaments. Riptides are hot poo poo in Tau and people like to spam them, but I don't take more than one in my lists.

e: but to start of with, and not have too much to paint and build, a box of fire warriors and the commander should be your next buy.

aren't pathfinders also troops?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Got a reply from Doc; I'm next up for another :shepspends: box of DW:OK.

I'm watching YT and teacher training videos while cleaning mold lines. I may be doing this forever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress mold lines

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheChirurgeon posted:

aren't pathfinders also troops?

Fast attack.

Anyway, holy poo poo, JesusIsTehCool, that DA army is rad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

That's not quite true and hasn't been for a while. GW has a decent range of plastic character models (both 40k and WHFB/AoS) and has even put out a limited edition model in plastic. Don't get me wrong, there's more than a few marine models in there, but it's not like they're a majority. Maybe a plurality.

I'd wager that you wouldn't be able to get that pose or detail without doing it in resin. A resin (or metal) mold is much more forgiving of weird angles and allows for more organic poses. It's a lot harder to machine stuff like that into a steel die without breaking it up into a million pieces.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Finally broke out the lightbox and took some pictures of my very slowly growing Space Wolves:

Five Blood Claws w/ Flamer:

Nine Blood Claws w/ Wolf Guard, Flamer, Powerfist:

2 Grey Hunter crewed Land Speeders:

5 Combi-Plasma Wolf Guard and a Frost Axe Battle Leader:

Plus a fancy rotating gif of one of the Speeders:

I'm probably going to have to change out the black curtain/mat that came with this lightbox, it's awful.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Rad fukken mans

Those look great!

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Pics from Goonpocalypse III. It was a great day with a great bunch, Scowny, Zark the Damned, Lord Twisted, Lord Twisted's friend Adam and myself.

First game was ZM 3vs2. Twisted and Adam (Salamanders and Orks) against the other three of us (an unholy alliance of alpha legion, daemonic orcs and my 40K BA)

There was a lot of points on the table, as such, because we are British, there was a lot of tactical queuing.

My dreadnought enjoying the cover of sneakiest legion. This was just before Lord Twisted was Alpha Legioned

Sadly due to Scowny and I being so self involved in our own corner of the battle field a terrible massacre was perpetrated on the noisy, naked and eye achingly bright daemorcs that are indigenous to the lower decks of the HMSS Trump.

Captain Tycho punched some Orks to death before bravely blocking the route to our objective. His sacrifice was pointless because sadly the daemorc genocide gave up a lot of kill points. Sorry Zark. It was my first game of ZM and I really liked it. The corridors mean you make some genuinely strategic decisions which are often lacking in the open field variant of this game.

Following this (and a pile of Bugmans Burgers) Scowny, Zark and myself played HoR Kill Team on the second biggest board in the place. This was particularly necky given there were people playing huge 40k games on warhammer fantasy tables due to the tournament being held. 25 models total.

I was playing my rogue trader team, Scowny had alpha legion. Zark offered us a choice of two lists rather cryptically. We said "play the one you will enjoy the best". We chose .... poorly. We should have said "that we will enjoy the best". As such he took an eversor assassin. And Scowny and I got to enjoy its imaginative rules... Suffice to say he won although Scowny came close to killing the assassin and could have succeeded if he hadn't dedicated so many resources to killing my team so systematically.

"You are going down Alpha Legion punk.. I am the Luh!"

"Keep your eyes peeled chaps, there are Alpha Legion and Eversor Assassins everywhere in this lovely city."

Sadly this guy just dressed like an assassin... Here he is hiding from the Alpha Legion advancing down the street.

"I sense.... skulls..."

The Alpha Legion open fire. Thanks to dubious injury rules my guys mostly lie down only to get up later.

The final shoot out. It does not go my way, do not trust AL where gentleman's agreements regarding Eversor assassins are concerned

Final game was a last stand where my guys were surrounded by Scowny's. We played super quick having decided that the injury rules slowed things down immeasurably. He sportingly didn't Fury of the Legion me off the table on the first turn and it turned out to be closer than I thought it would be. I nearly escaped...

Was a great day with great guys. Zark suggested March 2017 for Goonpocalpyse IV.. I would be up for that. I have an idea for a moderate sized but manageable game (it might involved the skull skull skull table just because)

JackMack fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 6, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Finally broke out the lightbox and took some pictures of my very slowly growing Space Wolves:
These guys are dope. Now you just need to paint like 24 more land speeders and you'll be like that guy at NOVA!

JackMack posted:

Pics from Goonpocalypse III. It was a great day with a great bunch, Scowny, Zark the Damned, Lord Twisted, Lord Twisted's friend Adam and myself.
Thanks for sharing! Looks like a good time, I love the WHW boards.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Cool? I get that this is the iconic look for Sisters, but I guess I was hoping they would change it since the Sisters of Silence models in Burning of Prospero looked so different.

If it makes you feel better, there aren't too many BDSM elements in that pic; mainly the latex pants and crab heels. Outside that it has more in common with imperial (as in real-world military nobility, not guardsmen) art, mashed with cyberpunk hair and modifications.

My only complaint is that I'd rather the leg was firmly on the skulls, Captain Morgan pose style. As-is its more reminiscent of the pinups of a lady with her leg resting on a nearby wall or chair. The morgan approach would have been better for a Confident Leader approach IMO.

That nitpick aside, its a great model and basing it off the most iconic SOB art makes it feel like a fig leaf, like "IDK why we keep neglecting them, we're sorry, lets get on good footing again".

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

All the pictures that have been posted lately are pretty sweet. Good job on the battle reports and everything else people have been posting.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Really dig the yellow on those space pups

e: whoa, is there a 40k skirmish mode now that isn't kill team? ZM?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 7, 2016

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Five Blood Claws w/ Flamer:

Nine Blood Claws w/ Wolf Guard, Flamer, Powerfist:

2 Grey Hunter crewed Land Speeders:

5 Combi-Plasma Wolf Guard and a Frost Axe Battle Leader:

Plus a fancy rotating gif of one of the Speeders:

I'm probably going to have to change out the black curtain/mat that came with this lightbox, it's awful.

These are pretty much perfection, couldn't think of a bad thing to say about them even if I wanted to, which I don't. In the least creepy way possible, I want to watch you paint.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Really dig the yellow on those space pups

e: whoa, is there a 40k skirmish mode now that isn't kill team? ZM?

There's a heralds of ruin kill team ruleset ran by fans. It's much more in depth than the GW one, which is pretty simplistic, though still fun. Zone mortalis is just indoors rules, mosty. At least I think it is.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
ZM, IIRC (I've never played it) is somewhere in the middle of normal 40k and a true skirmish game. The map setup precludes having huge, mechanized armies.

Also, and as a DA player this is hard to say, those are some fine Wolves.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Felime posted:

There's a heralds of ruin kill team ruleset ran by fans. It's much more in depth than the GW one, which is pretty simplistic, though still fun. Zone mortalis is just indoors rules, mosty. At least I think it is.

ZM is supposed to simulate boarding actions, but you can use any heavy terrain board with short lanes of fire and do Necromunda-ish type battles.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Holy poo poo that Sisters model is perfect. Such a good representation of the old blanche artwork. It appeals to me almost directly.

Gonna end up getting scalped on eBay after Christmas I feel.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Am I a giant shitter that I'm going to pick up the SOB model (if possible) to run as some Genecult Imperial HQ for my Cult Guard allies? I can't help but feel that it's being released as a teaser, sort of like Deathwatch Overkill was for GSC: gauge interest, respond with release if it's high enough.

One would think given the ubiquitous and incessant rumormongering and oaths of "I swear to gently caress I'll start Sisters if they release plastics" for the better part of two decades would be demonstrable interest enough. Like poo poo, my GW guy has at least 2 employees who know multiple people who just have $400 sitting on the back-burner if a release does hit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Miles O'Brian posted:

Holy poo poo that Sisters model is perfect. Such a good representation of the old blanche artwork. It appeals to me almost directly.

Gonna end up getting scalped on eBay after Christmas I feel.

Looks like there will actually be an online preorder this weekend?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'll sort my goonocalypse pictures tonight. Was a great day!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snollygoster posted:

pwease no steppy

That's really cool that they based it on the classic art for sisters.

Although look at her face, it almost looks like she has fangs. The skin sticks out a bit too much. You could paint her like a blood angel :cheeky:

Somebody call the Grey Knights, we've got a heretic!

Maybe its just the paintjob from that angle. Cool model.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have only been aware of 40k since 2009, so I have no sense of nostolgia for anything older than fifth edition.

I don't know if I want this or not.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I also have zero nostalgia for 40k and while I think that cover is an awesome artifact, I don't need a figure of it. I think it's cool they're doing that for the old school types but also hope it's the last farewell before they really revamp Sisters appearance for plastic.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Star Man posted:

I have only been aware of 40k since 2009, so I have no sense of nostolgia for anything older than fifth edition.

I don't know if I want this or not.

It's a unique sculpt and a faithful rendition of one the most iconic pieces of art of the 40k universe. It would make a great centrepiece or conversion opportunity for e.g. When they rerelease necromunda or doing a gene corrupted or Chaos corrupted sister of battle. On the other hand it's resin and it probably will not be cheap due to being able to charge for the nostalgia factor. I'll get one possibly if it's £20 but not more than that as GW have lavished a lot of attention on Chaos recently and I need to get a lot of stuff.

mango sentinel posted:

I also have zero nostalgia for 40k and while I think that cover is an awesome artifact, I don't need a figure of it. I think it's cool they're doing that for the old school types but also hope it's the last farewell before they really revamp Sisters appearance for plastic.

They're not going to depart too much from that style - they're battle nuns in power armour and epitomise the gothic and zealot like nature of the Imperium. I'm sure there will be units that don't have all the hallmarks of a normal sister of battle, but they're not going to radically change the design. It's too much of a classic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Milotic posted:

They're not going to depart too much from that style - they're battle nuns in power armour and epitomise the gothic and zealot like nature of the Imperium. I'm sure there will be units that don't have all the hallmarks of a normal sister of battle, but they're not going to radically change the design. It's too much of a classic.

Yeah, but compare modern marines to that anniversary imperial marine. Lots of little changes here and there can have a pretty big effect, even if they'll still be battle nuns in space.

That's still power armor marine in space, but the aesthetic is pretty different.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 7, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Milotic posted:

It's not difficult to cut down on the holy hand grenade chests and vary up the bob haircuts but otherwise keeping the rest of that look in tact.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but compare modern marines to that anniversary imperial marine. Lots of little changes here and there can have a pretty big effect, even if they'll still be battle nuns in space.

That's still power armor marine in space, but the aesthetic is pretty different.

Meanwhile, I do have a 30th anniversary space marine, but 99% of the reason I bought it was for the rules it came with. I did paint it up as a Crimson Fist instead of matching it with my Salamanders, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im iffy on the bob haircuts, i would like it if they have a bunch of heads with mussed up hair, There cant be THAT much conditioner on the battlefield, let alone a straightener.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hihohe posted:

Im iffy on the bob haircuts, i would like it if they have a bunch of heads with mussed up hair, There cant be THAT much conditioner on the battlefield, let alone a straightener.

In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, there is only mean rear end hair.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
But enough about Plague Marines.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Star Man posted:

Meanwhile, I do have a 30th anniversary space marine, but 99% of the reason I bought it was for the rules it came with. I did paint it up as a Crimson Fist instead of matching it with my Salamanders, though.

my buddy and I both have the 30th guy and I think between the two of them they have maybe 5 kills tops

the rules are cool but he's a huge target

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
For all the fearmongering people were having over that gun I've only ever seen it kill a Grot.

Love the model though, was gonna use him as Exodus for my 30k Alphas but that's been shelved for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
my favorite argument against him was that "he's an Imperial Space Marine, he can't use your chapter's tactics!"

uh no he's painted as a Dark Angel, he's a Dark Angel trust me

also all Space Marines are Imperial lol

• Locked thread