Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is an overwhelming pile of empirical evidence that doing what you suggest at his pace would be terrible business sense.

Does he even make money from uploading these as is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I was gonna say "ad traffic" but in true Rich fashion he has no ads on his site except for his own merch

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I wanted to say that his Patreon lets you read them before they're published, but nope.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Even without ads on the site, giving people a reason to remember your comic exists every other week is going to be much better for your merch sales than giving them a bigger reason to remember you every four years.

If you want to read the story in chunks, no one is stopping you from doing that. Delete your bookmark/rss link and set a calendar reminder to check where it's got up to every few months or so. No one's forcing you to check the new page every time one comes out, just treat it like you treat all the trailers leading up to a big movie or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well uploading new comics keeps it relatively fresh in peoples minds instead of a book dropping every x years, so that could make it earn more. It might be a more fun and rewarding way to do it too.

Beaten like a bad initiative roll. :v:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I find out about new comics from this thread, tbh.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Khizan posted:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Imagine six years of between-comic alignment chat

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Khizan posted:

You must've been frequently very disappointed these past few days.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I largely have

Then why are you even here? Just to poo poo up the thread?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

THE BAR posted:

It's maddening to me, that they went all in on using initials for their colours, and decided to have two that starts with a B.

U stands for blue. Sure, great.

It could be worse. See CMYK where K stands for blacK even though B wouldn't collide with anything.

EDIT: Also, ontopic, I would far rather read each strip as it's done than wait x years for the new book. It's starting to look like I may not live to see it finished either way...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sfwarlock posted:

It could be worse. See CMYK where K stands for blacK even though B wouldn't collide with anything.

The K doesn't stand for "black", it stands for "key." When you print a color image by mixing inks such as cyan, magenta, and yellow, their lighter colors don't provide much detail. The darkest color in the mix (such as black) is used as the Key Plate, which provides the contrast and lines of the image.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I find it kind of funny that the threads for two of my favorite comics - K6BD and OOTS - are currently indistinguishable.

Both comics are currently in the midst of a massive fight scene that's narratively been built up for literally years. Both artists are obviously targeting the long-form published book version when it comes to pacing. Both threads are now starting to be overwhelmed by people who can't handle a long-form story being drip fed serially.

Personally, neither case bothers me in the slightest. Both comics are very good, and I think Rich and Operant are both making the correct choice in terms of how they're pacing their story.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Serini: "Hmmmmm. This is an Improved Grapple. It will pin me for one minute. Use it wisely."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

oobey posted:

Serini: "Hmmmmm. This is an Improved Grapple. It will pin me for one minute. Use it wisely."

This is very good. Of course, 1 minute is 10 rounds, so Serini is fuuuuuuuucked.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

This is very good. Of course, 1 minute is 10 rounds, so Serini is fuuuuuuuucked.

It is not a problem. Serini’s Head of Troll makes her impervious to damage.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most longform comics are designed to be easily readable as a whole instead of expecting each page to stand on its own. That's just how you get a plot moving. Newspaper comics are usually intended to be literally disposable. The one page/strip at a time format of early webcomics made a lot of people think "newspaper comic" (and probably that was a lot easier to get into than the the other popular comic format at the time, superhero comics, both for requiring lower effort and less bandwith), but that didn't really stick.

Because while newspaper comics require the audience to remember or get recapped on the past since the last few comics are crumpled and in the trash, webcomics easily let the viewer read through the archive at any time they like. And the way that those comics started drifting into longform plots resembles a lot of how TV shows started developing into running plots after streaming became common (and many of the shows that developed running plots in the earlier days were pretty ambitious with home media releases).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And now I'm sitting here thinking about that Spiderverse story Marvel did where there was some villain going around to the various alternate universes and killing Spider-Man and devouring his soul or whatever, and when he tried to get Spider-Man from universe where the newspaper strips take place, he got freaked out by how time seemed to keep repeating/looping on itself because each newspaper strip consists of three panels:

Panel 1: recap what happened last strip
Panel 2: develop the story slightly
Panel 3: tease what's going to happen in tomorrow's strip

So he ended up deciding, "gently caress it, I'm gonna go insane if this keeps up, I'm out of here," and that was one of the few alternate universes where Spider-Man managed to avoid being murdered and having his soul devoured. :unsmith:

The same can't be said for Hostess Fruit Pies Advertisements Spider-Man, though. :smith:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frequency of releases predicts reader count more strongly than quality.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

W.T. Fits posted:

And now I'm sitting here thinking about that Spiderverse story Marvel did where there was some villain going around to the various alternate universes and killing Spider-Man and devouring his soul or whatever, and when he tried to get Spider-Man from universe where the newspaper strips take place, he got freaked out by how time seemed to keep repeating/looping on itself because each newspaper strip consists of three panels:

Panel 1: recap what happened last strip
Panel 2: develop the story slightly
Panel 3: tease what's going to happen in tomorrow's strip

So he ended up deciding, "gently caress it, I'm gonna go insane if this keeps up, I'm out of here," and that was one of the few alternate universes where Spider-Man managed to avoid being murdered and having his soul devoured. :unsmith:

The same can't be said for Hostess Fruit Pies Advertisements Spider-Man, though. :smith:

This one?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

W.T. Fits posted:

OMG, the Spider-Man newspaper strip. I remember that from when I was way younger. Turns out it kept lumbering on and on until finally shutting down in 2019. In case anyone's curious, here's the final strip:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gynovore posted:

OMG, the Spider-Man newspaper strip. I remember that from when I was way younger. Turns out it kept lumbering on and on until finally shutting down in 2019. In case anyone's curious, here's the final strip:

Hello friend, join us over in the Newspaper Spider-Man thread where we follow the definitely new and not at all repeated stories of Spider-Man still being printed today!

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Gynovore posted:

At first glance I thought Peter was an rear end to his boss and MJ. Then I quickly realized it wasn't meant to be read top-down in columns.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khizan posted:

This but must of the time is an alignment - related false positive

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

oobey posted:

Both artists are obviously targeting the long-form published book version when it comes to pacing.

I dunno about the 6 billion demons author but there is nothing "obviously targeting the publisher book" in Rich's case.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

... the 6 books he's published already?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The books he sells for money, until recently the only money he got from the strip?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I feel Unsounded does it right in releasing pages that really need to go together all at once and then just taking a break for the corresponding number of days.
It's also proof that with advance warning and the right timing, scheduling a long break doesn't kill your comic. People don't really mind if you go "Ok, chapter's over, see you in 1-2 months while I prep the next chapter".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Look those were clearly just accidents, how can you even say there will be an 7th book

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kyte posted:

I feel Unsounded does it right in releasing pages that really need to go together all at once and then just taking a break for the corresponding number of days.
It's also proof that with advance warning and the right timing, scheduling a long break doesn't kill your comic. People don't really mind if you go "Ok, chapter's over, see you in 1-2 months while I prep the next chapter".

Yeah, Ashley Cope's really good about that and fantastic about having a buffer. I'd imagine this is something Abbadon would do if he took the time to create a buffer. At the same time, you do see similar complaints about how long they've been at the Shrine in Unsounded. Pacing is just not super easy in a webcomic. Abbadon has done a fantastic job IMO, and I'm super hype to see what comes next because each release is extremely cool and good in and of themselves. I trust Abbadon to know what story he's telling, he's done a fantastic job so far and I don't get why anyone should doubt him given the prior body of work.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What I meant is that they're is nothing in there (pacing, structure, etc) that shows that the comics are written with the book-reading experience in mind. They do get collected as books but so are Garfield strips.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

trucutru posted:

What I meant is that they're is nothing in there (pacing, structure, etc) that shows that the comics are written with the book-reading experience in mind.
lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You mean apart from the lengthy, almost painfully point by point authorial explanations of why its written to be read as a book but also have a gag at the end of each panel?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's not like the books have been split into thematic story arcs, with each arc ending on a denouement for the previous events and a cliffhanger for the future, leading into a section written with deliberate in media res energy to quickly catch up readers who've been away for a while, or hook new ones browsing through a Barnes & Noble.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

girl dick energy posted:

It's not like the books have been split into thematic story arcs, with each arc ending on a denouement for the previous events and a cliffhanger for the future, leading into a section written with deliberate in media res energy to quickly catch up readers who've been away for a while, or hook new ones browsing through a Barnes & Noble.

that's true!

and it's not like each book has a name specifically tied to that arc, or that the total number of books has been determined from a very early date, even when the page number runs longer than expected

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I like to read OOTS pages in a random order because it makes no difference, just like Garfield.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Panel 1: Roy is groping on his back for the Greenhilt sword, weapon of legacy.
Panel 2: Roy thinks, "Now where could my sword be?"
Panel 3: Elan is peeling potatoes with the Greenhilt sword. A yell from Roy saying "ELAN!!" emits from off-panel.

Genius.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Belkar sits in a box.

Belkar sits in a box.

Belkar says "I hate mondays."

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Belkar ships Elan to Abu Dhabi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Belkar loves lasagna.