Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i tried the foam cannon thing for the first time and the car was clean for at least 15 minutes or so, so i thought i'd troll the thread by posting an anthracite metallic car instead of blue :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That's a nice looking E39. I think I need to get me some rims like those as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those are the stock M5 rims, Style 65. They are good.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Any red flags with this post? https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/vancouver-1987-bmw-325is-speed-e30/7745524440.html

Price seems a little high but if that’s actual mileage and not a broken odometer and it’s well taken care of maybe not. I’ve asked for the VIN so I can run a Carfax report

I’m also following this auction but it doesn’t seem quite as nice: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4d746zy/1987-bmw-325i-sedan

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
That white one looks great.

I can smell it from here.

I am now preparing to replace my front shocks on the e61. Ultimate DIY Time Sink Machine.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 17, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
$16,800 for an e30 these days? yeesh

They are awesome cars, I just wish we hadn't sold our bronzit 325i for $1000 cause of a bad synchro back in like 2007.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Popete posted:

Especially when you can have a 60K mile convertible V8 M3 for just $20,000 on Bring a Trailer

When you can't buy a wagon you should buy an M3.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That seems like a pretty good price for a S65 with that low mileage.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Someone stole that car, what a deal.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Popete posted:

They are awesome cars, I just wish we hadn't sold our bronzit 325i for $1000 cause of a bad synchro back in like 2007.

They never responded to my email either so I guess it already sold. I put a bid today on the black e30; it looks a little rough around the edges but the Carfax shows the mileage going up steadily to its current number so I doubt it’s too much over 200k miles despite being TMU. if I can get it for relatively cheap I don’t mind investing a bit into it to make it nice (starting with replacing those oversized wheels with something more period correct)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Double Dragon wagon

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Something something blue cars

I added some tire dressing. I halfass cleaned the wheels of brake dust.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ADINSX posted:

They never responded to my email either so I guess it already sold. I put a bid today on the black e30; it looks a little rough around the edges but the Carfax shows the mileage going up steadily to its current number so I doubt it’s too much over 200k miles despite being TMU. if I can get it for relatively cheap I don’t mind investing a bit into it to make it nice (starting with replacing those oversized wheels with something more period correct)

If you want a flimsy car with no actual power, direct steering, good road feel and a huge greenhouse, finely turned out but not restored Volvo 240's are probably 1/4th that price.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Finally went to The Vintage (https://www.atthevintage.com) after all these years living so close. What a great event, 450+ cars registered with a pretty nice range of cars. Highlight for me was the range of colors on all the 2002s and bs'ing with Rob Siegel. We packed most of my tools and feels like half my garage so of course the cars ran flawlessly. E30 even managed just under 28mpg sitting at 3500 rpm for two and a half hours.

Had a for sale sign on the E28 and had some interested but nothing too serious so far. Need to get some pictures before it goes back inside and create a real listing.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 19, 2024

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Got the smoke machine and did a smoke test (plugged into the intake boot after the MAF) on the E39. No sign what so ever of any smoke leaking apart from where the pressure was pushing out the smoke machine plug. Opened the oil cap and all pressure went + smoke came out there, so unless there are some other routes that I might have missed I think the system is without leaks.

So maybe I should buy that MAF then? The one on the car is a Siemens, so likely the original 21 year old part. The codes still only pop up within the first minutes of driving, and never again during the same drive no matter how long I drive for or how I drive.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 19, 2024

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Sounds like a failed MAF yeah. 150k is normally the wear timeframe but 20yrs who knows.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Great car, great photo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you want a flimsy car with no actual power, direct steering, good road feel and a huge greenhouse, finely turned out but not restored Volvo 240's are probably 1/4th that price.

But what about my ~brand loyalty~

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eschew loyalty. brick go hmmmmmnnnnnnnnnngggg

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yellow lights remind me of driving in France in the 80s and 90s. Very cool

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
E90's are really nice. I think I prefer the look to E46s to be honest.

I warned my wife that we'll probably be getting another BMW in the future, and I'm thinking either E39 540 or E90.

I am a bit scared of the E39 V8's from what people are saying about them being insane money pits. But then again I do all the work myself so it might not be as bad...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hat tip to Mr. Heroic. I also keep my driving lights yellow and original. That's the proper look!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

E90's are really nice. I think I prefer the look to E46s to be honest.

I warned my wife that we'll probably be getting another BMW in the future, and I'm thinking either E39 540 or E90.

I am a bit scared of the E39 V8's from what people are saying about them being insane money pits. But then again I do all the work myself so it might not be as bad...

hmmm

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I feel like totalling a G15 has its place in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2bLPrg8dWY

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

If I were in the US and making US kind of money in my profession that would probably be a nice deal. I'd prefer a facelift one though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3RYbPkgR/2013-bmw-m3-coupe-competition-package

Nice auto Dakar Yellow M3 up for sale. 40K miles. Dinan tuned. Rod bearings not yet replaced though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m not totally sure on the s65 but on the s62 with similar rod bearing issues you really do not need to proactively replace them. If they’ve made it this far they’re likely fine just get an oil analysis with every oil change.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
How's the F31 reliability wise?

My '08 a4 just hit 100k miles and though everything is fine now I'm starting to look around just in case. I had an e46 m3 before the a4 (and the release year z4 coupe before that).

It looks like the F31 330 xdrive was made until 2019 and there aren't a ton of other wagon options out there. I wish it got slightly better fuel economy but it's better than my a4.

Are they good?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

havelock posted:

How's the F31 reliability wise?

My '08 a4 just hit 100k miles and though everything is fine now I'm starting to look around just in case. I had an e46 m3 before the a4 (and the release year z4 coupe before that).

It looks like the F31 330 xdrive was made until 2019 and there aren't a ton of other wagon options out there. I wish it got slightly better fuel economy but it's better than my a4.

Are they good?

The B48 seems to be very good. Water pump, thermostat, and the oil filter housing are all typical BMW cooling failure points and there's another coolant hose that should have been fixed under recall. Outside of those potential things there isn't a ton else. I bought an F30 330i last August and have put over 30k miles on it so far. I might go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat this year as I'm already pushing 110k miles and I have a slight coolant leak that I think is coming from that region. The wagon will get worse mileage, but they get great mileage for what they are. I generally get between 37-40 mpg highway during the summer.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you don't see lead or copper in your oil analysis, the S65 is doing fine. If you do see those numbers going up, then a prophylactic replacement of the rod bearings is probably a good choice.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Swapped the MAF on my E39 to a brand new OEM (Siemens) one. I think it ran better and was more responsive (probably placebo) and that it was fixed since the CEL didn't come up for a while... until it did. This time only too lean on bank 2.
I swear it feels like it's a bit more uneasy on idle after the CEL comes on, but it drives fine. Better than ever really.

I guess I have to give the smoke machine another go.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Logan gonna Logan.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Logan gonna Logan.

Oops! Wrong thread.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/status/1794104175141277723

:eyepop:
My E92's got 35k on it and I thought that was pretty low miles.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The greatest colour of all time. Impossible to find these days for any reasonable price and that's consider that e46 M3s are already going for a lot.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a good color, but it's a shame it's available as a standard option on about 60% of car models now.

And we do have thealphabetsez here who has the actually greatest color E92 M3 ever made.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

so he has a le mans blue one?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
You must have confused that for interlagos blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
When I bought my m3 I was looking for lsb over cinnamon but couldn't ever find one. Ended up with carbon black over cinnamon which was nice but lsb is the best