Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Right & Down 2nd impressions
Still only playing in bed, definitely grew on me, getting the underlying strategy. Been enjoying getting as far as level 38 of 50 with the starting character and only tried one of three starting character’s artifacts. Unlocked Necromancer, several spells, etc in the meta, haven’t tried them once yet.

The moment to moment choices are kind of unexciting, mathematically predictable choices, but the thing that gives it spice is the long-term choices and routing.

Default dude’s default artifact and spell both damage every monster on the field. The former after battle and the latter before combat after moving first one tile down and three right. Everything Carrie’s over between maps, including spell progress.

After five levels you hit a camp and choose one of two zones to head to. This initially seems underwhelming and not entirely reliable, but choosing to focus on two or three zone types is extremely beneficial once you consider the artifacts you’ve bought and spells you learn.

The artifacts play with the traps in a strategic way, but traps and artifacts, unlike monsters vary between map types and play off one another in strategically interesting ways. Mechanically the variety isn’t that interesting, but it plays fast enough it’s easy to focus on the bigger picture and balance trade offs now for a better route later- while the limited pair of zone choices adds just enough uncertainty you need to hedge your bets with artifacts universally helpful, only helpful in this zone, or only helpful in one other zone type- you’ll visit ten zones of five levels each, so you will get to revisit, releverage, and double down by purchasing another copy. All the while investing in staying slightly alive now while scaling fast enough to survive later.

Each zone’s trap effect differs, from freezing artifacts, to burning away your ability to heal to poison, blind, and confuse. These statuses stack in duration with every trap and are something you want to avoid… except when you don’t.

For instance, I damaged enemies in the forest when I was poisoned (for 7.5% health each round), but I had artifacts that healed me every forest move and forest fight, and a quick-cast spell that damages every monster when I was poisoned. If I lived just a little longer and bought just a few more healing artifacts, I could have seen myself purposefully stacking up 50+ turns of poison damage. But I died on level 38, so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I find it endlessly amusing that the forthcoming horizon is Right & Down & Dice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just got generously gifted Ziggurat*, and uh, I'm not sure I like it? Played an hour and a half (two games), and all the upgrades/levelups seem to be +5% healing on hp potions and somesuch. Does it get better?

*Firefox spelling suggestions: Figurativo, Figurative

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Serephina posted:

Just got generously gifted Ziggurat*, and uh, I'm not sure I like it? Played an hour and a half (two games), and all the upgrades/levelups seem to be +5% healing on hp potions and somesuch. Does it get better?

not really

Zig 2 is substantially better in terms of variety of gear/trinkets/classes/blah blah. Levels are more interesting too.

(also the devs working on the first AA-ish Vampire Survivor's clone, curiously enough)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

victrix posted:

not really

Zig 2 is substantially better in terms of variety of gear/trinkets/classes/blah blah. Levels are more interesting too.

(also the devs working on the first AA-ish Vampire Survivor's clone, curiously enough)

Which one is that?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ziggurat was always just kinda Fine when it was new, and like rogue legacy it was done like way better by everything that came after it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Zig/2's still pretty all right, in the grand scheme of things, but it looked a lot better when it's competition was Immortal Redneck and Tower of Guns. These days there's a lot better competition, and you don't even need to look at the top games in the genre like Gunfire or Roboquest- even stuff like Void Basterds and Into the Pit make Zig 2 look and feel really basic and flavorless (and I don't even like Into the Pit that much). Zig 2 gets some credits for feeling the most 'Someone saw Heretic/Hexen and decided to make a Roguelike out of it' of all these games, but it sorely needs some extra sauce.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 4, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Chin Strap posted:

Which one is that?

Army of ruin. It’s not my favorite yet (feels a bit slow), but curious to see where it goes based on Ziggurat 2 being solid. I would probably go w eg Soulstone Survivors first.

Serephina posted:

It was good at the time as one of the first roguelite FPS games, but I think I’d go for any of the following over it:

Gunfire Reborn (best roguelite FPS imo, plus good coop. Kind of a set a new standard for the genre which other games have a tough time matching imo)
Immortal Redneck (made one very unfortunate design choice - random power ups which sometimes are actually negatives- but otherwise great imo)
RoboQuest (on its way)
Ziggurat 2 (solid, tho still not my fave)

E: what the Mr Locke said basically 👍🏻

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have mods they like for KeeperRL? I've been getting p into it lately, but it's starting to feel like it could use a bit more going on. I have still been running into at least one or two new things each run, but the starts are beginning to feel kind of samey. Great game though!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Army of ruin. It’s not my favorite yet (feels a bit slow), but curious to see where it goes based on Ziggurat 2 being solid. I would probably go w eg Soulstone Survivors first.

Army of Ruin is coming along pretty quick, but Soulstone Survivors is definitely the better of the two. AoR has balance issues between weapons and items that only get worse as more get unlocked with no option to banish them from the level up choices. SS has its problems, too, but it feels better to play, and if you don't like a weapon, you can replace it with another.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Thank you to whomever shared Tangledeep for the Switch. It’s great for me to pick up and play for even five minutes at a time.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A wild-eyed newcomer appears tomorrow with a fresh demo on the FPS/Rogue'ish/VS inspired after a fashion perhaps front:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2083940/Dereliction_2022/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

A wild-eyed newcomer appears tomorrow with a fresh demo on the FPS/Rogue'ish/VS inspired after a fashion perhaps front:

A master class in how not to make a tutorial.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I feel like I've seen people playing an early version of that game a while ago.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
For a wildly different demo-bearer to come, but has been simmering for probably quite awhile now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2084300/Schism/

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Wow. It really feels like this game doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up.
It feels really raw and undefined right now, maybe it'll be something in a few years.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Gameplay seems to consist of walking backwards slowly and shooting hundreds of identical spiders, not super exciting

ExiledTinkerer posted:

For a wildly different demo-bearer to come, but has been simmering for probably quite awhile now:

This one the other hand looks dope as hell

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just had a ridiculously powerful Skul run, which is definitely the only reason I was able to clear Dark Mirror 6.

The Grail and Hope Slasher came in after Joan and in the final shop, respectively. I still nearly lost, though, goddamn. Skul really doesn't gently caress around at high DM levels.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like I haven't been in here since October

Any new roguelikes since october I should check out? Specifically collectible card game types

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Astronarch is in the Fanatical Very Positive bundle, as low as one game for $1: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-very-positive-bundle-3

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
At last, it is time to Slay the Egypt/Slay Egypt Spire/Egypt the Spire, or ideally should they get there in the fullness of time: Egypt Egypt Egypt~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2167550/Creeping_Deck_Pharaohs_Curse/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

At last, it is time to Slay the Egypt/Slay Egypt Spire/Egypt the Spire, or ideally should they get there in the fullness of time: Egypt Egypt Egypt~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2167550/Creeping_Deck_Pharaohs_Curse/

That looks a little bit too similar to Slay The Spire, art-wise.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OutOfPrint posted:

Astronarch is in the Fanatical Very Positive bundle, as low as one game for $1: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-very-positive-bundle-3

Astronarch kicks rear end

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

:hmmyes:

Just picked up Tiny Rogues, is it just me or do melee weapons suck? It seems like on the runs I win I usually have a gun/bow that deletes enemies before I can even see them. My reflexes are way too slow to avoid projectiles when I'm using a sword.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

OutOfPrint posted:

Oooh! I've just been waiting for the next sale to pick this up. I didn't think it would be such a discount!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Forthcoming "traditional", of a sort:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2260050/Baalzebub/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OutOfPrint posted:

Nomad Survival is a perfectly functional Vampire Survivors ripoff, even if it's not really that good and I think the dev said they're done with major updates to it. So consider that if you need +1 game to pad a larger tier.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I just dropped about $120 on random poo poo I found on fanatical - this is the first I’ve seen of this site. Thanks for sharing lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WarpedLichen posted:

:hmmyes:

Just picked up Tiny Rogues, is it just me or do melee weapons suck? It seems like on the runs I win I usually have a gun/bow that deletes enemies before I can even see them. My reflexes are way too slow to avoid projectiles when I'm using a sword.

Some melee weapons are very strong but yeah they usually have the tradeoff of having to be near them which puts you in more danger. If you want in the settings you can change it to fully auto target/fire so all you need to do is focus on avoiding getting hit. I found the game a lot more fun playing it that way.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

This is loving cool! Arena shooter dungeon crawler like BoI or whatever, with an Ikaruga-style polarity switching mechanic because why not. Lots of different stats that scale the items you pick up in different ways, and different gods you can worship with various upsides and downsides and ways of gaining and losing piety. Very quick and snappy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Foo posted:

can confirm this game is great

I have no idea what I'm doing so I just slam the "random hero" button every time, if anyone has fundamental tips I'll take them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes, melee weapons in tiny rogues are generally worse.
it's not a coincidence that raising the primary melee stat gives you more max hp.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Been trying to get a 16 cinder Tiny Rogues win and it is... quite difficult. I managed a 13 cinder win with an int-stacker that got an early Mageblood and was able to hit all the potions early, but there's three cinders that feel way harder than the rest: 1) your first perk is a downside - this one means that you're scraping through the first boss and most of floor2 without any sort of power spike and makes the whole start of a run a huge slog. The downsides themselves aren't too bad but getting weaker instead of stronger on your first levelup is brutal. 2) Robot Minions for the boss - makes the boss fights longer AND more dangerous AND you're taking extra damage in phase 2 from one of the other cinders. 3) Enchanted bosses - combined with the earlier two this one gets wayyyyy worse.

Up through about 12 cinders I thought the game felt pretty fair and like most runs I could find a path to victory against normal Death. I agree with the earlier poster that a lot of the melee weapons don't feel strong enough for the tradeoff of how much danger you need to put yourself in to use them. There are some exceptions like Zweihander (I think) which has numbers that get pretty absurd if you can stack enough strength. But yeah, I tend to prefer the longer range Str weapons like scythe when I can get them. My dex mans tend towards bows - I don't love guns because of some of the long reload times - but there's definitely a place for a crit dagger build. With enough crit chance and then stacking some multi on top it gets our of control. Int builds don't really have the short range problem at all. I guess some of the beam weapons are shorter but even those are better than most daggers and swords.

It's a really fun game and I've enjoyed it a lot. Gonna have to luck in to a good weapon on floor2 for this 16 cinder win, though.

Astronarch is also very good and an absolute steal at $1 if you like the auto-battler genre at all. I stopped playing after around ascension 5 because there isn't quite enough interesting equipment to make runs different one to the next, but it's very good until that point.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OutOfPrint posted:

Thanks for the heads up about this, I just put Astronarch on my wishlist after seeing the recent posts ITT about it so this was an easy buy for me. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hello, I just wanted to say that the thread title is very good and I have a sensible chuckle whenever I see it as I scroll through Games. Thanks.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DACK FAYDEN posted:

can confirm this game is great

I have no idea what I'm doing so I just slam the "random hero" button every time, if anyone has fundamental tips I'll take them

Scaling items are usually very good
A basic party comp of healer/tank/dps/offtank will do you well
Many heroes can fill two party roles to at least some extent

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

MerrMan posted:

Been trying to get a 16 cinder Tiny Rogues win and it is... quite difficult. I managed a 13 cinder win with an int-stacker that got an early Mageblood and was able to hit all the potions early, but there's three cinders that feel way harder than the rest: 1) your first perk is a downside - this one means that you're scraping through the first boss and most of floor2 without any sort of power spike and makes the whole start of a run a huge slog. The downsides themselves aren't too bad but getting weaker instead of stronger on your first levelup is brutal. 2) Robot Minions for the boss - makes the boss fights longer AND more dangerous AND you're taking extra damage in phase 2 from one of the other cinders. 3) Enchanted bosses - combined with the earlier two this one gets wayyyyy worse.

Up through about 12 cinders I thought the game felt pretty fair and like most runs I could find a path to victory against normal Death. I agree with the earlier poster that a lot of the melee weapons don't feel strong enough for the tradeoff of how much danger you need to put yourself in to use them. There are some exceptions like Zweihander (I think) which has numbers that get pretty absurd if you can stack enough strength. But yeah, I tend to prefer the longer range Str weapons like scythe when I can get them. My dex mans tend towards bows - I don't love guns because of some of the long reload times - but there's definitely a place for a crit dagger build. With enough crit chance and then stacking some multi on top it gets our of control. Int builds don't really have the short range problem at all. I guess some of the beam weapons are shorter but even those are better than most daggers and swords.

It's a really fun game and I've enjoyed it a lot. Gonna have to luck in to a good weapon on floor2 for this 16 cinder win, though.

Astronarch is also very good and an absolute steal at $1 if you like the auto-battler genre at all. I stopped playing after around ascension 5 because there isn't quite enough interesting equipment to make runs different one to the next, but it's very good until that point.

Yeah, I got a C16 win and immediately dropped it down to C12 for subsequent runs. My advice is: use bombs aggressively, especially on boss fights to kill the adds quickly, and the Broken Hero Sword is, of course, super powerful if you can manage to upgrade it all the way. Combine it with the Bandit class to get extra gold on room clear to help afford the 120g total you need to upgrade it plus its transformed version.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah I play at C15 as my sweet spot (the one curse I turn off being the automaton helpers for bosses, ffffuck these things).

The Broken Hero Sword is powerful but you're putting a TON of investment into it before it finally pays off, and in all likelihood if you can make it through the investment phase, you probably would've beaten that run anyway if you were playing normally and putting your room choices/gold investment into other areas.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

have one guy who deals a ton of damage, everyone else is made to hang with that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

People have been posting a lot of demos lately, has anyone posted Dungeons of Aether yet?

Game looks excellent, honestly. I adore the pixel art and the dice drafting system isn't something I've seen often (in video games, at least). The demo itself isn't much, it's really just the tutorial, but the full game comes out in a few weeks. I've got it on my wishlist!

Also, I know I mentioned Dungeon Drafters before, but that's got a demo up and running if you want to give it a whirl.