Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeast posted:

That’ll be Luke Towan’s boulder creek railroad.

He’s insanely great.

Yeah that's the one! Him and Joshua Smith are insaaane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slapped some more Contrast on some minis to get the other Mork Boll team done.

Meet the Dawn Wood:

L to R: Deadly Piggo, Right-Handed Demon, Pointy Daryl, Mum's Favorite Hat, and Ada, the Best Boller.

Just went sloppy with the paint because the FEP failed on my printer on this back and several of them have some ugly failures with chunks missing out of their backs.

Also slapped up two of the possible referees, the Wizard and Three Goblinskobolds in a Trenchcoat.

Maybe I'll get some test games done over the weekend and if I enjoy it, I'll spend more time on teams. Probably still use Vae Victis minis since this month's patreon bundle was more sellswords in this style and next month's preview seems to be like Landsknechts or knock-off Warhammer Empire dudes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Silhouette posted:

Brent just has resting crazy face, but he's super chill

Everyone complaining about YouTube videos having sponsorships or product placement is weird, because that's how these people make their money and can continue to provide hours of information and content

It's like complaining about commercials on TV, they're a necessary evil because ~capitalism~

My complaint isn't that they have commercials, my complaint is that they seem to have run out of things to make useful videos of and now are just feeding the YT beast with clickbaity stuff to get you to watch their commercials. Like somebody else said I liked Midwinter for awhile but now he's just doing bullshit content.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ez8 posted:

Goobs gives me the god damned willies. Something about the way he stares into the camera and narrates everything just weirds me out.

That said, he seems like nice enough dude. I bet we could thug it out and paint together.

He does seem nice, but speaking with an downward ending inflection really messes with my mind in a weird way so I can't listen to too much to him

I would like to have a painting sess, for that matter

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I need some help.

I've got these old Juan Diaz daemonettes I scored for CHEAP and I'm trying to do them justice, but they just...I don't know.

I primed them white, hit them with some watered down Druchii Violet and then drybrushed with pallid wych flesh followed by filling in and smoothing with pallid wych flesh glaze. I just don't know what they need at this point. The flesh doesn't seem right.

Any creative ideas from the community?

It's like it needs a highlight of pure white or maybe a shade to take the edge off the white.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The flesh doesn't seem right because there's no flesh tone there, just white stained a little purple. Which is how they're officially painted! It'll probably look better once you paint the details like the hair and claws so you're not staring at a blob of white plastic and maybe wash the crevices a little more for more definition.

If I were to do Daemonettes I'd base them a scarlet red then drybrush all the way to white and then hit them with a violet wash just to give them a reddish undertone.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I never noticed just how phallic the mount's head and body are, lmao

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ez8 posted:

I need some help.

I've got these old Juan Diaz daemonettes I scored for CHEAP and I'm trying to do them justice, but they just...I don't know.

I primed them white, hit them with some watered down Druchii Violet and then drybrushed with pallid wych flesh followed by filling in and smoothing with pallid wych flesh glaze. I just don't know what they need at this point. The flesh doesn't seem right.

Any creative ideas from the community?

It's like it needs a highlight of pure white or maybe a shade to take the edge off the white.

If it were me, I'd paint the mount before coming to any conclusion about where to take the skin of the daemonette. Currently its all just slightly purple tinged off white, theres no contrast there. Do the Steed orange or yellow or baby pink and maybe now the contrast makes the skin read more skin-y. Or maybe it doesnt and you need to try something else, but at least you'll have a definite colour down to contrast with/compliment.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How are kimera paints, I'm thinking about getting a set

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How are kimera paints, I'm thinking about getting a set

Kimera Kolors are basically just artist acrylics, you can get them substantially cheaper by buying artist acrylics on ebay or from Jerry's Artarama, or a sale at your local art store. You can also have your choice of heavy body or liquid medium for them, typically with translucency information on the bottle/tube.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Another FFIX character with the serial number filed off, Captain Steiner

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

NinjaDebugger posted:

Kimera Kolors are basically just artist acrylics, you can get them substantially cheaper by buying artist acrylics on ebay or from Jerry's Artarama, or a sale at your local art store. You can also have your choice of heavy body or liquid medium for them, typically with translucency information on the bottle/tube.

If you are getting artist acrylics, Golden is amazing, and they are 100% employee owned!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lumpy posted:

If you are getting artist acrylics, Golden is amazing, and they are 100% employee owned!

I can vouch, Golden heavy bodies are fantastic paints. My other artist acrylics are Liquitex acrylic Gouache (not my thing but quality) and DaVinci liquid and a few heavy body acrylics, which are responsibly sourced and excellent quality. Also on sale now for a pretty deep discount.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

You're knocking these out of the park, keep it up. Inspiring me to paint my own copies. I've got the entire PC crew plus Kuja and Beatrix.

I wish there was somebody who would do an STL of Bahamut vs Alexander for printing.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

You're knocking these out of the park, keep it up. Inspiring me to paint my own copies. I've got the entire PC crew plus Kuja and Beatrix.

I wish there was somebody who would do an STL of Bahamut vs Alexander for printing.

Thanks! Does RN Estudio have a Beatrix model? Haven't seen it.

I don't know if it's just the printing company I bought them from, but the sizing is... odd.

Regarding Alexander and Bahamut, just print these two guys and make them kiss (after you throw some wings on the Alexander model)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Just be aware that artist paints, whether acrylic or oils, will frequently contain toxic heavy metals (for example, lead and cadmium) while hobby paints almost never do. Check the tube before buying or using. And if you do decide to use them, no brush licking and don't even think of airbrushing them.

To answer the original question, Kimera paints are extremely good. Worth it for the Red alone.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I've found Liquitex Heavy Body Titanium white to be excellent. Put a blob on the wet palette and it lasts forever and you can dilute small amounts down to a workable consistency easily. It's more opaque and very smooth compared to the other whites as well.

Plus you can use it straight as a drybrush.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm having a really basic problem with my painting - I never seem to have nearly as much paint on my brush as people in Youtube videos. I'm watching sonic sledgehammer paint an entire cape in one go, and I could never do that.

I'm stuck at work so I can't sit here and try various tips in real time, but I'm guessing the answers could be:

My brush is too small (I don't thinkso?)
My paint isn't thin enough (again, I don't think so, I'm working on this)
I'm not "drawing" the paint into the bristles somehow?

I think it's the last one but I don't really know what to do about it. I long to have paint come off of my brush like ink from a fountain pen, instead of what I've got now which is a few good brush strokes and then back to the palette.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well what brush do you have + link the video? It's probably mostly brush size tbh imo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Your brush may be too dry.

I always like to dip mine in the cleaning water then pat them dry on a paper towel before painting, so they're not wet but are definitely damp before I go for paint. If the brush bristles are semi-saturated with water they can't suck all the moisture out of the paint which lets you put more pigment on the actual mini.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm having a really basic problem with my painting - I never seem to have nearly as much paint on my brush as people in Youtube videos. I'm watching sonic sledgehammer paint an entire cape in one go, and I could never do that.

I'm stuck at work so I can't sit here and try various tips in real time, but I'm guessing the answers could be:

My brush is too small (I don't thinkso?)
My paint isn't thin enough (again, I don't think so, I'm working on this)
I'm not "drawing" the paint into the bristles somehow?

I think it's the last one but I don't really know what to do about it. I long to have paint come off of my brush like ink from a fountain pen, instead of what I've got now which is a few good brush strokes and then back to the palette.

Gonna guess you are using a synthetic brush and these people are using sable hair brushes.

One of the advantages of sable hair brushes is that the brush will hold a shitload more paint.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I absolutely am using a cheap sythnetic, whatever comes in packs from the local art supply store.

It's a size 6? It seems about as big as what they're using. I see it happen in all kinds of videos, I think Ducan would just call it a large layer brush?

Maybe the brush is too dry, I'll check on that.

Here's the video I'm currently watching, but I've seen this happen all the time. Look how mush of the cape he covers, I've never had that experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX1GX0dC8x8&t=120s

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I absolutely am using a cheap sythnetic, whatever comes in packs from the local art supply store.

It's a size 6? It seems about as big as what they're using. I see it happen in all kinds of videos, I think Ducan would just call it a large layer brush?

Maybe the brush is too dry, I'll check on that.

Here's the video I'm currently watching, but I've seen this happen all the time. Look how mush of the cape he covers, I've never had that experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX1GX0dC8x8&t=120s

Size 6 is huge. You absolutely do not need more than a 1 or 2 for painting human sized minis. 6 is for painting monsters or vehicles and even then it might be too big.

Get a proper sable brush - a Raphael 8404 Size 1 costs £13 (3 space marines) and will last you years if you take even the most basic care. Sable brushes are a lot tougher than synthetics and will remain useful for much longer. Cheap brushes in packs are for applying texture paint or terrain.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Seconding the sable brushes being infinitely better. Takes a minute to get used to, i found the paint get applied a little differently.

I go through synthetic brushes like mad because i paint like an rear end in a top hat, but ive had the same 2 sable brushes for a while and theyve lasted way longer than any sythentic brush ive owned by a considerable amount

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Each type of brush has their uses and synthetics are for lovely, sloppy paint jobs and sables are for surgical precision

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I am just as capable of doing a lovely, sloppy paint job with a sable as I am with a synthetic, thank you very much.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Also that Size 1 8404 will be literally the only brush you need 99% of the time. If you decide to freehand text and paint pupils on your guys then you can invest in a Size 00 but that Size 1 will do everything from basecoating to highlighting just fine.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Looking up rent prices for a flat in the spires on the worldcrusher engine

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Also, brush sizes are really only good for comparing brushes from a single manufacturer. A size 1 from company A will be smaller than a size 2 from company A, but that company A size 2 could be the same size as a company B size 4.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I switched to only buying synthetic once I learned that they just don't shave the lil weasels like you would a sheep for wool.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

poo poo that so good. Not enough rust tho.

Lumpy posted:

Fun fact, I work for a basic craft art company that purports to be founded by one of the Golden family. I mean, I can substantiate that claim as 1: the founder died a year before I started here and 2: it's not like the Golden website talks about the family behind the business.

That be said, the dude's last name was Golden and we do make art and craft stuff among other.... things. To hear his daughter tell the story, her late father left Golden paints, went to Crayola, and created the liquitex brand because the formulas for the paint were in his head.

That being said Golden paints are dope. Use those.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Are dog hair bristles any good? Because my dogs produce enough for approximately forty billion brushes a week.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Quick question: I've been magnetising a lot of stuff recently, do I need to mask the contact points when priming/painting? I feel like I probably don't, but it never hurts to be sure.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Two Beans posted:

I switched to only buying synthetic once I learned that they just don't shave the lil weasels like you would a sheep for wool.

Hello welcome to Coiffe de Stoat these are my little weasel clippers *click* vrr vrrrrr

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

I don't know if it's just the printing company I bought them from, but the sizing is... odd.

Regarding Alexander and Bahamut, just print these two guys and make them kiss (after you throw some wings on the Alexander model)

RN Estudio doesn't, but there's a dude on MMF making figs that did Agrias FFT and Beatrix FF9. Evan Savage? Something like that. They're perfectly recognizable.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Winklebottom posted:

Did you self-print or did they do the printing for you?
3d-prints are easily scaleable and about 150% size Steiner would be right scale with Garnet.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Issaries posted:

Did you self-print or did they do the printing for you?
3d-prints are easily scaleable and about 150% size Steiner would be right scale with Garnet.

Bought it. Guess I can ask if they can print a bigger version. Maybe after I’ve painted more of the shamepile

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lumpy posted:

Thirding Golden. The couple of paints I have from them are quality, the titanium white especially.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished my Kushala Daora. Barbarian Barroth for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Disproportionation posted:

Quick question: I've been magnetising a lot of stuff recently, do I need to mask the contact points when priming/painting? I feel like I probably don't, but it never hurts to be sure.

Nup, plus it’ll rub off almost immediately as you put the pieces on and off