Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

im the barely contained gut above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

anna this took me one and one half minutes!!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

https://twitter.com/hughlaurie/status/1168983902716866561?s=19

I agree with house

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it even keeps the too-warm lite it just doesnt lrt them bathe the whole thing in varying shades and intensities of ochre!!!!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
a comfy lad, that rees mug :kiddo:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1168984936910598144

:yeshaha:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:bisonyes:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Weembles posted:

Well it worked so well in the US with Trump, didn't it?

When was the last time one of these attempts at 12 dimensional chess actually payed off?

boris can do some damage, but not actually that much if parliament decides to be mean to him. basically he's put himself in a position where his cunning plan to unilaterally shift about the election date after the fact has actually leaked and is being counteracted, which leaves them with the option of

believe you me, corbyn's been talking non-stop about a GE forever, he absolutely will call a vote of no confidence, but not before he's confident that johnson can't somehow wrangle a no-deal brexit out of it, i.e. not until an extension contingent upon a GE has been decided on.

johnson tried the mother of all whips today, and it just broke in his hand. he's a political corpse ruling with a minority in coalition, he literally needs MPs to just vote his way without major coercion in order to do anything, and he remains hostage to a gang of mad irishmen

the PM is not a president. constitutionally, all of johnson's power comes from his majority in the House, which is non-existent. if one can coalesce around any given matter (which is not unlikely on a whole host of things) they can just force his hand. there are some executive functions he still wields, but he does so at the mercy of a hostile House, which is not a position anyone wants to be in. every time a majority forms to tell him to do something, he suffers another major defeat and looks weak

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Sep 3, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
:siren: DIVISION! :siren:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

...at least if he loses this vote lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jazerus posted:

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1168073942571081728

To be sure, researchers extracted DNA from the mummy’s big toe and compared it to genetic material from a modern relative, Rosemary Probst-Ryhiner.

Not only was it a match, showing that the woman must have been a Bischoff, but further archival research showed she was Anna Catharina Bischoff, who died in 1787, a direct maternal ancestor of Boris Johnson.

Aye you can see the family resemblance.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hexyflexy posted:

And Johnson (never loving call him Bojo) isn't smart, that bastard advisor of his is though. He needs stringing the gently caress up.

that ship has sailed, hes been bojo for decades

is this like the drumpf thing?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

V. Illych L. posted:

the PM is not a president. constitutionally, all of johnson's power comes from his majority in the House, which is non-existent. if one can coalesce around any given matter (which is not unlikely on a whole host of things) they can just force his hand. there are some executive functions he still wields, but he does so at the mercy of a hostile House, which is not a position anyone wants to be in. every time a majority forms to tell him to do something, he suffers another major defeat and looks weak

This is key. For Americans, Boris currently holds an equivalent amount of power as Chuck Schumer does.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1168988840792657928

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

is this just a vote to have another vote tomorrow?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

brexit soon, fellow stalker

when?

NOW

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This

This is Brexit

We found it, friends

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think brexit is going really well you guys

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

Okay, but like, is that the limit of his supposed powers or the limit of his actual powers if he's willing to do something as unspeakably beastly as just telling the queen to authorise something without asking Parliament first?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Squizzle posted:

anna this took me one and one half minutes!!!

thanks, that looks much better

still in awe at this naplad

absolute snoozer

:tootzzz:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hentai Jihadist posted:

is this just a vote to have another vote tomorrow?

Yeh, they'll need to make law tomorrow.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dravs posted:

This is key. For Americans, Boris currently holds an equivalent amount of power as Chuck Schumer does.

Does this means if he asks to disband parliament again, the queen has to say no?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
lmao, they are literally threatening the grandson of Winston Churchill with deselection. I don't think this is going to go the way they thought it would.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If i was a rich fuk i'd lay like that all day and eat grapes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dravs posted:

lmao, they are literally threatening the grandson of Winston Churchill with deselection. I don't think this is going to go the way they thought it would.

along with the longest-serving tory MP in the house

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I 'm the feeling that a lot of these guys lack self awareness

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow, Prime Minister Corbyn

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1168992259406278663

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

Yeh, they'll need to make law tomorrow.

christ why do i ever let the news trick me into thinking parliament ever does anything

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So have any of the rags posted a picture of Boris with CRUSH THE SABOTEURS yet

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

AnoHito posted:

Does this means if he asks to disband parliament again, the queen has to say no?

He can't ask to Prorogue parliament twice no, however this has nothing with him not having a majority. It's literally a function that suspends parliament before a queens speech and happens every time there is one, he is just using obscure law around when and how he can use it to try and suspend parliament in the dodgiest way possible.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So have any of the rags posted a picture of Boris with CRUSH THE SABOTEURS yet

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1168992766032011264

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1168992766032011264

e: i will kill you

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rees-Mogging myself to death

--J. R-Mogg, "The Mogg Dogg"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Okay, but like, is that the limit of his supposed powers or the limit of his actual powers if he's willing to do something as unspeakably beastly as just telling the queen to authorise something without asking Parliament first?

if the commons say "jump" the PM says "precisely how do you define the act of 'jumping', exactly, i'd quite like to try and wiggle out of this". which is to say, parliament can say "no gently caress you alexander, we're not proroguing poo poo go back and tell the queen you've changed your mind" and he'd be bound by law to do it

normally this isn't a problem, because the PM by definition commands a majority in the House. the entire position's purpose to execute the will of the House. for the last thirty-forty or so years, however, more and more power has been gathered in the executive under the assumption that the PM can always command a majority.

the thing is, if johnson acts up now, parliament can simply strip the PM of the powers he's trying to exercise and change the decision. it takes some doing, but there's a real threat of things like that happening. basically this is all uncharted territory, though, and british parliamentarism is stretched to its absolute breaking point

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

How many do they need?

Did the DUP psychos rebel since they don't want a hard border?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Raffles posted:

I 'm the feeling that a lot of these guys lack self awareness

You are the correct feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade