Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

World War Mammories posted:

gently caress this poo poo, jake, give me xcom 3 you loving traitor

:emptyquote:

EDIT: drat, best page snipe I've ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

This thread's turned into Twitter, only instead of inventing people and then getting mad at them, we're inventing games to get mad at.

E3's next week. We can all get mad at the game when it's revealed, and then wait for Disney interference to ruin it more.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hulk is easy, just reskin Axiom the Berserker Queen.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tricky Ed posted:

This thread's turned into Twitter, only instead of inventing people and then getting mad at them, we're inventing games to get mad at.

No, see, I don't have to invent poo poo to know I am very emphatically not interested in superheroes. Doesn't matter if the game is well made or not, if the subject matter/setting is such a huge turnoff.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 9, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The Marvel XCOM should randomly kill off exactly half of all your soldiers in the middle of the campaign.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Also, bear in mind that something like 10 or marvel flicks are due in the next 20 months, on account of the 'rona slowing shite down.

Marvel might finally hit burnout, and Firaxis may find itself with a real white elephant, before Mouse fuckery.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Y'all just wanna be mad about something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You're right, I've spent too long on the internet and now it is only seething hatred alone that sustains my withered, blackened soul.

Or maybe I just simply want an actual XCOM game rather than some superhero thing. It's hard to tell.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Why not both?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'll have you know mom, that I only use official GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra action figures! This "incredible hulk" toy is clearly for children, I can tell because of the prominent green and purple coloring. I have no interest in such "superheroes" and - oh yes please, chicken tendies for dinner sounds excellent.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm not going to lie, superheroes going mainstream is confusing as hell to me. I don't watch a bunch of movies so when normal people try to watch one with me and my nerdy rear end will have no clue what's going on when they refer to the 5 billion ones I didn't watch. It's like I'm in some weird bizarro land where everything is flipped.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jabor posted:

I'll have you know mom, that I only use official GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra action figures! This "incredible hulk" toy is clearly for children, I can tell because of the prominent green and purple coloring. I have no interest in such "superheroes" and - oh yes please, chicken tendies for dinner sounds excellent.

as we all know, the only reason someone can dislike something is that they percieve it as childish. literally no other critique of superhero media is possible.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm queer so I'm automatically and permanently allowed to hate anything related to Disney with no other justification, idk about the rest of you losers :colbert:

e: Superhero XCom will feature Disney's First Openly Gay Character

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nordick posted:

No, see, I don't have to invent poo poo to know I am very empathically not interested in superheroes.

You probably meant emphatically, unless your negative interest in superheroes is even weirder than it seems right now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ulmont posted:

You probably meant emphatically, unless your negative interest in superheroes is even weirder than it seems right now.

Don't villainshame.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm queer so I'm automatically and permanently allowed to hate anything related to Disney with no other justification, idk about the rest of you losers :colbert:

e: Superhero XCom will feature Disney's First Openly Gay Character

I too, am queer. Those bastards took my Nimona movie, and now they might have taken my XCOM 3.

With the mouse's liable interference and other fuckery, chances of this thing being good are not favorable, and it's not at the best of times.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
See, I'm not opposed to superhero XCOM. Sounds like a fun idea.

I don't want Disney Marvel XCOM.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

marvel seems like such a bad fit for the XCOm franchise. are we going to have a game where thor has to take cover and hide from a bunch of mooks with guns? is the hulk going to be slowly creeping around the map, painstakingly making sure to only have one pack of bad guys in his line of sight at all times?

like if this was a situation where firaxis just happened to stumble on an IP that works really well with how the games play that would be a different thing, but this has all the marking of a stupid idea that idiot executives came up with and are now imposing on everyone else

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If you could make your own heroes and the marvel big names are used sparingly it could be cool. Like maybe you have a squad and one named hero. They could even reuse that knock off nemesis system the chosen had for the villains.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Even if it's loving amazing and sells billions of copies I'm going to be sad it isn't xcom3

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

babypolis posted:

marvel seems like such a bad fit for the XCOm franchise. are we going to have a game where thor has to take cover and hide from a bunch of mooks with guns? is the hulk going to be slowly creeping around the map, painstakingly making sure to only have one pack of bad guys in his line of sight at all times?

like if this was a situation where firaxis just happened to stumble on an IP that works really well with how the games play that would be a different thing, but this has all the marking of a stupid idea that idiot executives came up with and are now imposing on everyone else

honestly i could almost imagine this working well if it was more like the Lost missions, where there's a million one-shottable mooks that are only dangerous in huge numbers, and one supervillain-level boss enemy that appears halfway through.

but yeah if it's iron man hiding around a corner to avoid getting one-shotted by random mobs it's not quite delivering on the promise

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
If you were playing like SHIELD agents then maybe it'd be interesting.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's totally possible that a disney/marvel-branded xcom wouldn't be utter poo poo. but were it to exist, if you wouldn't bet on such a thing being poo poo with confidence, then there's a gap between us I don't know how to bridge

the only solution is for the prophesied hero jake solomon to climb down from the mountain and share with the people his stone tablets recording the design docs of xcom 3

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's hard to imagine a sprawling map crawl-style XCOMlike with superheroes, but if you think more around Chimera Squad I think the concept becomes more workable.

Every iteration of the Firaxis XCOM has been a refinement of the previous with regard to turn economy design. XCOM2 shook up the overwatch crawl that defined XCOM; Chimera Squad took the mania for alpha strikes that somewhat inadvertently defined XCOM2 and made it the whole game; if there is a superhero XCOM it will more than likely be a refinement of Chimera Squad adapted to the specific concept of superheroes.

All of those iterative changes pertained, as all turn-based game design does, around action economy. As someone in the thread said, superhero XCOM could very easily come together if you took colonel-level XCOM2 and then cut away or otherwise designed around the disincentive to pull pods. Chimera Squad sort of moves in this direction; it gives you a lot of powerful tools and makes the game about using those tools in the right way. If you severely limit offensive free actions and battlefield control abilities, it becomes much hairier.

I have no doubt that Firaxis can and would make an interesting, innovative game for Disney. I just hate Disney, how Disney does business, and what their mandates would mean for the greater ecosystem of the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Marvel doing a Freedom Force-esque game would honestly be the better choice for a tactical RPG game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also the domination of IP looks different in games than it does in film. Broadly speaking, a game development team needs two years at an absolute minimum to create a distinct and complete game - ideally you'd give them three to five years. A film "team" equivalent takes, what, six months to turn a film around? A year?

So if your favorite director gets roped into making a studio movie that you're ambivalent about, it's not a big deal, they can go back to making original work fairly quickly and, probably, with something like a blank check. But a game dev studio of even moderate size could easily be occupied with a single IP for a decade. So it's a legit bummer when one is roped into something you don't want to see.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

This project is likely about 3 years old, mind.

Thought between the possible fatigue and the fact that the last marvel game went splat, it may be going into a far rougher market and corporate environment then planned.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fangz posted:

Why not both?
If both can be produced without delaying or otherwise negatively impacting the development of XCOM 3, then by all means. No skin off my back.

ulmont posted:

I indeed did, thanks for the correction.
Can't really understand what's so weird about not liking a certain type of fiction, though. Some people don't like slasher horror, others don't like space opera, etc. I don't like superheroes. :shrug:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nordick posted:

Can't really understand what's so weird about not liking a certain type of fiction, though. Some people don't like slasher horror, others don't like space opera, etc. I don't like superheroes. :shrug:

for some reason many people feel that if you don't like something they like, then you must think they're an idiot or something, or you wish nobody would ever make things in that genre. it's weird.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Muscle Tracer posted:

as we all know, the only reason someone can dislike something is that they percieve it as childish. literally no other critique of superhero media is possible.

This isn't a critique because no product yet exists to critique. People just heard that Firaxis is making a turnbased Marvel game and started getting mad.

EDIT: important word stuff up

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 9, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Chairchucker posted:

People just heard that Firaxis is making a turnbased XCOM and started getting mad.

No, people heard Firaxis are making a superhero game and started saying they don't want a superhero game. The not-yet-existent gameplay is besides the point, the problem is the narrative setting. This is not complicated.

EDIT: \/ I don't think that's the witty comeback you think it is, but you do you, fam

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 9, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nordick posted:

No, people heard Firaxis are making a superhero game and started saying they don't want a superhero game. The not-yet-existent gameplay is besides the point, the problem is the narrative setting. This is not complicated.

LOL I used the wrong word, edited.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you think that my righteous fury can be restrained by things like "the object of said fury actually existing" then you've got another think coming

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I plan to be incredibly mad regardless just to play it safe.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am a real life Arya Stark and I will add Jake Solomon on my LIST, if he does not redeem his heinous transgressions

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You know, depending on how big a gasket Disney blows over this leaking, it may have been the best thing to happen to the game's reveal.

The very X-com online types get it out of their system and the audience they're trying to expand to first hears tell of it when the flashy trailer drops with no accompanying knashing of teeth.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

X-Com Marvel would just have a unit die only to come back after 3 missions in order to boost sales

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Carapace and Warden suits are replaced with multiple tiers of Plot Armour you need to research in order to survive against the late game enemies.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Kalko posted:

Carapace and Warden suits are replaced with multiple tiers of Plot Armour you need to research in order to survive against the late game enemies.

Well now you have me thinking of a game where instead of Aliens we are fighting the Narrative.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

MadHat posted:

Well now you have me thinking of a game where instead of Aliens we are fighting the Narrative.
XCOM meets The Stanley Parable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Bradford Parable: we need to fight through multiple layers of Central's bullshit to find out what really happened.