Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tnuctip posted:

A billion dollars and it flows through a few people? Even if it’s just revenue, that’s nuts. What if someone quit or got hit by a bus? And being managed by a person who will rotate out in a year or two?

Are you in automotive, financial, oil/Chemical?

Edit: what commodity?

Also, had most productive email of the week yesterday. Suggested that during inventory people drive around with trash cans. Genuinely excited about it next year. Bonus is that the managers driving around will have trash next to them all day while I sweat in the sun, and they’ll be incentivized to actually empty their bins.

Why do they want the inventory people to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Why do they want the inventory people to do this?

So they can clean while they count, probably. Two birds, one stone.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Midjack posted:

So they can clean while they count, probably. Two birds, one stone.

Basically, they give us all lots of bottled water, Gatorade’s, etc. but then no place to throw it away. I happily pick up random trash if it’s on my way usually, but not going to walk an extra 100 yards out of my way in the sun to throw something out if I’ve been walking around all day. Also litter sucks. And it’s be funny watching managers drive around sitting next to trash while I’ve been on my feet all day.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
With the rise of the delta variant and increase in breakthrough cases our company's CEO has gone from "reporting on your vaccination status is voluntary, unvaccinated staff on campus will be encouraged to wear a facemask but we won't be the mask police" to "reporting on your vaccination status is still voluntary and we continue to encourage individuals to wear a mask while on campus, but now all employees/visitors coming on campus will need to show a valid form of evidence of having received a vaccine." Get a first dose of the vaccine and you can come in, while wearing a mask, for short visits. Don't want to get a vaccine because of "health, religion or personal reasons", then they can be "assigned a new role" working remote.

Wondering if they're still going to expect vaccinated staff to come in 2-4 days a week by 1 October or if that'll be slipping due to delta.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I for one think it's awesome that anyone that ever gets their finances hosed is never allowed to advance in life ever again. Poors deserve to be poor and should loving know their place, am I right? :911:

I don't know if this is a thing in a bunch of industries for any position, but it certainly is in the financial industry and in every other industry if it's a position where you're handling money or bookkeeping.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

We just got the notice that masks in the office are mandatory again, sigh

I kind of want to go in today just to see how everyone who has to be there is taking it. I have to wonder how long we're going to placate people who won't get vaccinated, not just in my company, but in the country as a whole. I'm so sick of it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Got the promotion. :toot: Nice pay bump + my first step into management, albeit they're only starting me with a single direct report. Still, figure this is the best way to dip my toes into managing and find out if I can do it well/don't hate it, and even if it turns out it's not the path I want to go down I figure it's never a bad thing to have some managing experience on your resume.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Perks of working remote - no masking and I don't have to interact face to face with people I despise wholeheartedly.

It's funny to me, since I was last on SA, so much has happened!

1) The production manager at my primary location was fired - let's call him JA.
2) The office manager became the new production manager - let's call her EP. Replaced as office manager by JM.
3) The general manager was demoted to salesman - let's call him GB.
4) The replacement general manager asked me dumb questions every day about how to do his job. Let's call him GM2 since I don't remember.
5) GM2 and GB quit to form their own company, and took the guy who builds the pool cages with them. Replacement JS1 is...okay. Still a lot of work to do.
6) EP was fired for being a bitch. The permit runner - AS - moved in as the production manager (and permit runner).
7) JM was fired for being incompetent. Replaced by GS.
8) AS quit and is now running permits as a consultant.
9) The accordion-shop manager JP was demoted and his subordinate BH was promoted.
10) BH was demoted and replaced by JS2.
11) EP was rehired as production manager and fired a week later after calling the CFO a fuckhead to his face.
12) Salesman SH was promoted to consulting manager on the screen side - consulting because he owns a "consulting" company with one client - my company.

Can y'all keep track of this poo poo? Because I loving can't. :bang:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wow. The guy who hired me, my manager at the new job, was fired this morning. Awesome.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

D34THROW posted:

Perks of working remote - no masking and I don't have to interact face to face with people I despise wholeheartedly.

It's funny to me, since I was last on SA, so much has happened!

1) The production manager at my primary location was fired - let's call him JA.
2) The office manager became the new production manager - let's call her EP. Replaced as office manager by JM.
3) The general manager was demoted to salesman - let's call him GB.
4) The replacement general manager asked me dumb questions every day about how to do his job. Let's call him GM2 since I don't remember.
5) GM2 and GB quit to form their own company, and took the guy who builds the pool cages with them. Replacement JS1 is...okay. Still a lot of work to do.
6) EP was fired for being a bitch. The permit runner - AS - moved in as the production manager (and permit runner).
7) JM was fired for being incompetent. Replaced by GS.
8) AS quit and is now running permits as a consultant.
9) The accordion-shop manager JP was demoted and his subordinate BH was promoted.
10) BH was demoted and replaced by JS2.
11) EP was rehired as production manager and fired a week later after calling the CFO a fuckhead to his face.
12) Salesman SH was promoted to consulting manager on the screen side - consulting because he owns a "consulting" company with one client - my company.

Can y'all keep track of this poo poo? Because I loving can't. :bang:

Here, let me condense it for you:

Check cleared? All good. Who cares about the rest?
Check bounced? Won't have to worry about all the shifting positions stocked with shifty people.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had lunch with a coworker today and apparently everyone on the team is absolutely pissed about returning to the office a mandatory one day a week. Should I have been pissed this whole time too? I just kinda shrugged it off but it is pretty silly to mandate we all be there for absolutely no reason. One person quit over this.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

paternity suitor posted:

I kind of want to go in today just to see how everyone who has to be there is taking it. I have to wonder how long we're going to placate people who won't get vaccinated, not just in my company, but in the country as a whole. I'm so sick of it

gently caress, I wish my office still had mandatory masks. You should still be masking in doors regardless of vaccination status.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

paternity suitor posted:

:same: masks regardless of vaccination status starting tomorrow, only took two and a half straight weeks of at least one positive test per day. Of course the message sending down the new mask mandate also goes out of the way to point out that there are currently no plans to allow any staff to WFH again. :shepicide:

remigious posted:

I had lunch with a coworker today and apparently everyone on the team is absolutely pissed about returning to the office a mandatory one day a week. Should I have been pissed this whole time too? I just kinda shrugged it off but it is pretty silly to mandate we all be there for absolutely no reason. One person quit over this.

Businesses are desperately trying to get staff into the office ASAP because the longer the delay the more people will start to clue in that hey we've been largely working remotely for close to a year now and the sky didn't fall down, so... why do we have to be in the office at all again?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

remigious posted:

Different people are handling it differently. It does seem silly to ask people, who at this point have been successfully working remotely for probably 16 to 17 months now, to commute into an office so they can attend their zoom/teams meetings in a cubicle instead of their house. There's a ton of remote work out there, and people are getting significant pay increases changing jobs. Companies pushing RTO are going to be at a disadvantage.

I've been working remotely for like 6 years at this point. I have zero desire to spend almost 2 hours a day commuting to the office so I can attend the same zoom calls I do from my home office.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm on my required week off and feel like this is the week they're going to be walking back the fall RTO plans. Good thing I'll be a half hour outside mobile signal range in a dark sky area for the weekend just staring at the sky like an idiot

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We got a new mask mandate for company buildings:

Old:
-vaccinated people are not required to mask
-unvaccinated people are encouraged to mask

New:
-vaccinated people are recommended to mask
-unvaccinated people are strongly recommended to mask

*HR high fives each other*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SpartanIvy posted:

Old:

New:

This is such bullshit because anyone who isn't getting vaccinated will easily blow by recommendations, "strong" or otherwise.

I hope my workplace starts requiring vaccinations to come into the office, sooner rather than later!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

priznat posted:

This is such bullshit because anyone who isn't getting vaccinated will easily blow by recommendations, "strong" or otherwise.

I hope my workplace starts requiring vaccinations to come into the office, sooner rather than later!

Yeah every change is just "do whatever you want" with new words.

Luckily were not set to be in office again for a while so maybe they'll get tougher at some point and force the hold outs to stop being babies and get the vaccine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SpartanIvy posted:

Old:

New:

lmao

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

SpartanIvy posted:

Old:

New:

my company went from everyone had to wear masks, to you didn't have to wear one after showing proof of vaccination to HR, to now gently caress it no one needs a mask.

Also even when masks were required you didn't need to when sitting at your desk because covid obeys cube boundaries.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No official mandates yet but as far as I know the general policy of "you need to wear a mask when you're up and about, regardless of vaccination status" has never been (a) changed, (b) enforced or (c) done by anyone but me and like two other people.

I have never seen my supervisor, who I'm pretty sure never got vaccinated, wear a mask. (She's not really antivax overtly, she was very insistent that I get it for example, but she's very much a "oh I really don't ever get sick, it'll be fine" person and I do not know how to get through to her.I have tried.)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

"Vaccines for thee but not for me"? That's something I haven't heard before.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

Here, let me condense it for you:

Check cleared? All good. Who cares about the rest?
Check bounced? Won't have to worry about all the shifting positions stocked with shifty people.

Oh, that reminds me. Our main window vendor is running hella behind because of supply issues during the pandemic. I'm talking going from 8 week max lead times to 30+ weeks.

Branches are losing money because not enough work is actually happening to cover expenses. :allears:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Are we allowed to post "hey my corp is hiring like crazy and has a very sane work remote policy" in this thread? Because that is happening to me and the sane policy was made even saner today. And we are screaming for qualified candidates. NYC, advertising.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Are we allowed to post "hey my corp is hiring like crazy and has a very sane work remote policy" in this thread? Because that is happening to me and the sane policy was made even saner today. And we are screaming for qualified candidates. NYC, advertising.

It's an older thread, but it checks out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3052395&pagenumber=54&perpage=40

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

:same: masks regardless of vaccination status starting tomorrow, only took two and a half straight weeks of at least one positive test per day. Of course the message sending down the new mask mandate also goes out of the way to point out that there are currently no plans to allow any staff to WFH again. :shepicide:

Businesses are desperately trying to get staff into the office ASAP because the longer the delay the more people will start to clue in that hey we've been largely working remotely for close to a year now and the sky didn't fall down, so... why do we have to be in the office at all again?

Because a lot of people hate their families.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack posted:

Because a lot of people hate their families.

Or are unable to mentally separate work from home, and need a physical change for it. Or

Can't wait for this derail again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

WFH vs not is a very personal thing IMO, and people can't easily be convinced to switch once they've found their preference. That's all it is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I prefer in office and kind of have to anyway because it’s a lot of hands on thing but I like it when more people wfh because it makes pretty much everything else nicer like the commute, parking, being able to use the nice bathroom to drop a deuce, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some attempt the daring mid-meeting deuce.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

priznat posted:

being able to use the nice bathroom to drop a deuce, etc.

Biggest benefit of being in office right now. Taking shits in the good stalls, there's no poo poo hour crowd to make you hunt for any open ones.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

D34THROW posted:

Oh, that reminds me. Our main window vendor is running hella behind because of supply issues during the pandemic. I'm talking going from 8 week max lead times to 30+ weeks.

Branches are losing money because not enough work is actually happening to cover expenses. :allears:

And those issues are getting worse

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

D34THROW posted:

I have a feeling we may be dealing with the same company. Minnesota based?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Smithwick posted:

I have a feeling we may be dealing with the same company. Minnesota based?

No, both my company and our window supplier are FL based. However, one glass company in particular seems to be the source of issues across the board, named after a certain red bird.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I keep oscillating between "I need to quit tomorrow" to "I like doing this job and I'd be very happy to continue to be allowed to do it".

So, how does one gracefully leave and should I leave my manager as a reference. If not, how do I explain not having them as a reference.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Comstar posted:

I keep oscillating between "I need to quit tomorrow" to "I like doing this job and I'd be very happy to continue to be allowed to do it".

So, how does one gracefully leave and should I leave my manager as a reference. If not, how do I explain not having them as a reference.

There is no graceful way to leave if your management doesn't want it to be graceful. If you are feeling accommodating, give them 2 weeks notice in a short, to-the-point email. If/when they ask you to do things to bring people up to speed on what you are doing, do it. Be nice to everyone you encounter, especially about leaving. If management wants to throw a tantrum, there isn't much you can do. I have never had to explain the absence of a particular person on my references, so I don't know what to say on that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

If you are feeling accommodating, give them 2 weeks notice in a short, to-the-point email.

The last 2 times I resigned, I emailed my manager. I believe it was something like:

quote:

Hi (manager),

I hereby resign, effective (date in 2 weeks). I will complete my currently scheduled visits and the associated reports prior to my last day. At that time, I will return my (company) provided laptop and any additional equipment.

Thanks,
Cacafuego

The previous one recruited me back and recruiters from the second one keep trying to recruit me back to that one, so I guess it was appropriate.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

It has historically been much easier to find a job when you already have a job, and it's certainly a lot easier on your finances.

I also feel like unless you dislike your manager, resigning is something that should be done as in-person as possible (I.e over Teams video if you're remote). You also want to write an email to send immediately after your resignation meeting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

It has historically been much easier to find a job when you already have a job, and it's certainly a lot easier on your finances.

I also feel like unless you dislike your manager, resigning is something that should be done as in-person as possible (I.e over Teams video if you're remote). You also want to write an email to send immediately after your resignation meeting.

This is the right advice, if you are at least on speaking terms with your manager tell them in person or in video call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

D34THROW posted:

However, one glass company in particular seems to be the source of issues across the board, named after a certain red bird.

I know this red bird company and they can choke on a donkey’s rear end. I wish I didn’t have to deal with them.