Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

I cant believe 'Ban all video games' wasnt 100% yes.

48% voted yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shadow225 posted:

There was discussion a few days ago, but we've seen a lot of indie platformers in the past few years. What are the absolute best? You can justify that however you like, I'm just looking the reap the cream of the crop.
  • Escape Goat 1+2 - just an amazingly designed series with a great learning curve and gameplay ideas pushed to their limits
  • Shovel Knight - it's about a knight with a shovel
  • Full Bore - similarly to Escape Goat it's a really well designed game
  • Ori and the Blind Forest - people have been raving about it since release, beautiful both visually and when it comes to atmosphere
  • The Swapper - more of a puzzle platformer, atmospheric, claymation
  • Trine 1+2 - a bit in the genre of Lost Vikings, lots of combat and physics puzzles, great looking games
  • Rayman Legends - a big title with lots of different ideas and level concepts, features cool 2d art
  • Fly'n - one of the most gorgeous platformers on the market, competes with Rayman Legends, a cute game
  • Nimbus - a smaller game with a gravity gimmick but it doesn't outstay its welcome
There are tons of more if you start counting metroidvania games.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

• Escape Goat 1+2 - just an amazingly designed series with a great learning curve and gameplay ideas pushed to their limits
  • Ori and the Blind Forest - people have been raving about it since release, beautiful both visually and when it comes to atmosphere
  • Trine 1+2 - a bit in the genre of Lost Vikings, lots of combat and physics puzzles, great looking games
  • Rayman Legends - a big title with lots of different ideas and level concepts, features cool 2d art
  • Fly'n - one of the most gorgeous platformers on the market, competes with Rayman Legends, a cute game
  • Nimbus - a smaller game with a gravity gimmick but it doesn't outstay its welcome

Would you consider Terraria and its ilk metroidvanias or RPG-platformer hybrids? (Or is that the definition of a metroidvania in which case I'm dumb)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I was thinking more about games like Guacamelee, I wouldn't really throw Terraria into the platforming genre.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

I love Full Bore and all, but I don't think I'd really call that one a platformer, per se, especially considering that you can't jump. More of a puzzle game really.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

I was thinking more about games like Guacamelee, I wouldn't really throw Terraria into the platforming genre.

You don't think so? The way worldgen works it seems like platforming is pretty major, plus there are a bunch of accessories that let you do it better. (However as aforementioned I might be dumb)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Palpek posted:

A post full of good games, a rare sight.
Edit: I'd also add Dustforce to the list of best platformers, although it might be a level above in difficulty.

Anyway, just want to remind everyone that Crypt of the Necrodancer goes out of Early Access today! Here, have one of the new tracks to celebrate.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 23, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

razorrozar posted:

You don't think so? The way worldgen works it seems like platforming is pretty major, plus there are a bunch of accessories that let you do it better. (However as aforementioned I might be dumb)

Platforming functions more as a means of transportation in Terraria versus having the game revolve around movement being a polished, responsive mechanic that's used to complete goals/end levels, especially when you consider that you shape the land in that game. You can use Rayman, Super Meat Boy, the Portal series (puzzle-platformer), and Super Mario as references to what platforming revolves around. Movement is a key element for those games and the level design revolves around the game mechanics involving movement.

That said, I've done my fair share of rocket booting into a magic carpet ride and then grappling the ceiling in Terraria. Getting around the world is fun with the right items.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Actually play this poo poo instead.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Palpek posted:

There's been a lot of good metroidvanias (although many lean towards pure Metroid) lately, too. Strider was especially fun, I thought. It was basically Shadow Complex with decent combat. The PC version of Axiom Verge is apparently due next month, and depending on who you ask, it's either 'meh' or the single best game in the genre since Super Metroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWHxQ2WcBE

Really wanna play that game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Dominic White posted:

There's been a lot of good metroidvanias (although many lean towards pure Metroid) lately, too. Strider was especially fun, I thought. It was basically Shadow Complex with decent combat. The PC version of Axiom Verge is apparently due next month, and depending on who you ask, it's either 'meh' or the single best game in the genre since Super Metroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWHxQ2WcBE

Really wanna play that game.

This video covers a big part of my experience with Axiom Verge, especially that bit about the jump you can't make that prevents you from returning to the first few areas. The only improvement I'd suggest is some additional markers on the mini-map, if only to indicate when items have yet to be discovered. It's easy to find an item that you can't quite get to in the corner of a room and then be unable to remember where it was once you gain the needed ability.

It's a pretty good action-adventure game that I'll beat once I figure out where I'm supposed to go.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LawfulWaffle posted:

This video covers a big part of my experience with Axiom Verge, especially that bit about the jump you can't make that prevents you from returning to the first few areas. The only improvement I'd suggest is some additional markers on the mini-map, if only to indicate when items have yet to be discovered. It's easy to find an item that you can't quite get to in the corner of a room and then be unable to remember where it was once you gain the needed ability.

It's a pretty good action-adventure game that I'll beat once I figure out where I'm supposed to go.

The third or fourth boss (forget which) sucks and it needs a button to lock the gun in place while moving but it's pretty good besides that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Apotheon should get a mention too. Behind the gimmicky-looking graphics is a very good game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Can a game's graphics be its gimmick?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fun Times! posted:

Can a game's graphics be its gimmick?

Absolutely. See: all the pixelretro shits.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Just played through the Ronin demo and liked it a lot. Controls are much better with a gamepad, in my opinion. I like the semi-frantic turn-based combat as you leap around like a ninja trying to get into a good position so you can eliminate bad guys without getting shot or sliced yourself.

I will definitely be picking up the full version of this. Definitely scratches some of that Mark of the Ninja/Gunpoint itch.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Drifter posted:

Absolutely. See: all the pixelretro shits.

'Pixelretro shits' are just the reification of hauntology in the form of video game graphics. We are destined to return to the past, man.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

razorrozar posted:

Is the lipsync in Ep2 as bad as it was in Ep1?

Still a great game but goddamn it was like watching an old Godzilla movie.

I've yet to play the second episode, but I found the bad lipsync a bit endearing. It was like playing a game from early 2000, when the characters were pretty much shapeless blobs.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

New Concept Hole posted:

I can see how those votes would turn out...

100% of users voted in favor of having a crack party with children in the house

100% of users voted to open up trade with Russian chemical run-off suppliers

100% of users opted to have their arm removed after passing out on top of it over the weekend

That last one, I vaguely thought that was something made up. Was that something that happened here? :aaa:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
SQUARE IS RELEASING A NEW FINAL FANTASY ON STEAM (FFIV mobile port of the after years)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=mEmAl2sEGbY

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

theultimo posted:

SQUARE IS RELEASING A NEW FINAL FANTASY ON STEAM (FFIV mobile port of the after years)

Maybe someday they'll get around to releasing a good Final Fantasy on Steam.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Male Man posted:

FFVIII is already on Steam.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Male Man posted:

they'll have to make a good Final Fantasy first

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ghostlight posted:

I like that gamers are equally divided on only two subjects - whether the state should employ torture, and whether children should be taught to smoke.

The latter especially since most of them support government healthcare.
Those supporters are also against creating super soldier serum.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Male Man posted:

Maybe one day we'll get a real Dragon Quest game translated.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Freak Futanari posted:

realtalk FFVIII owns

Why isn't FFVI on steam, though? Or is it and I just didn't notice?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They might use the lovely phone version that no one wants.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

theultimo posted:

Yay, been waiting for them to do this. I don't own a smart phone but always wanted to play the Matrix Software version of After Years.

And as for why V and VI aren't on Steam... Well, the versions of 3 and 4 that are on Steam are ports of the Android versions of the game. VII and VIII are literally Eidos ports from fifteen years ago that were slightly adjusted for the Steam release, which is why we don't have FFIX- Eidos didn't make a PC port of the game back then.

And like Scalding Coffee said, the phone versions of V and VI are poop. The best version of V is still Final Fantasy V Advance, which is unfortunate since the Game Boy Advance has been dead for like ten years now. Emulation is still the best choice for playing V and VI.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Spiderdrake posted:

realtalk FFVIII owns

Why isn't FFVI on steam, though? Or is it and I just didn't notice?

Nope and nope. FFVIII has some interesting ideas, but IX is the best of that generation.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That last one, I vaguely thought that was something made up. Was that something that happened here? :aaa:

If it isn't true, just imagine the last one instead said:

100% of users chose to ask for help in committing insurance fraud.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

It is. People on the internet hate goons in any form of online interaction because goons did stuff in Eve. Even if the person in question hasn't played Eve. I'm sure I've once read someone literally say "Well I didn't experience it but I heard in Eve goon players blah blah".

I'm having some serious deja vu here.

Indeed, and it entirely overshadows the raining dicks in Second Life, which I consider the crowning achievement.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Roguelike sale...

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/roguelike

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Also you can pay for mods now, this is going to be fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Freak Futanari posted:

FFIX isn't though :argh:.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Decent bundle

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I thought Paranautical activity got taken down because the dev posted death threats against Valve employees?

Ah well, don't buy it anyway, it's poo poo. Just a warning for anyone out there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So when they setup Don't Starve as a midweek madness, they didn't notice it was to be on sale in this too?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

saucepanman posted:

Also you can pay for mods now, this is going to be fun.

Doesn't this typically go against most game's modding EULA?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Things about to get hilarious. They're allowing people to monetize Steam Workshop.

Starting with Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

I thought Paranautical activity got taken down because the dev posted death threats against Valve employees?

Ah well, don't buy it anyway, it's poo poo. Just a warning for anyone out there.
After the offending loudmouth left the team, the other members were able to beg their way back in.

Scratch that, apparently he rejoined the team, but it's back on Steam because they fire-sold the rights to the game to a party that hasn't invoked the wrath of Gaben?

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 23, 2015

• Locked thread