Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eopia posted:

Just to clariify, the Nybbas thing is related to Palace of the Dead, not Mhach.

I should've broken those up so people don't think they're related to each other instead of both just being awesome things. :shrug:

No idea when I'm going to actually find the time to run PotD and get down to floor 200 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

(Ma-Ti was struck by lightning and killed)

Well, your heart works off electricity, right?

SL the Pyro posted:

fuck me I knew I was missing a reference or something with that

it's in the wrong order so I don't think it's a reference

Actually, now I'm curious how much damage resistance you'd get out of pentamelding Vs everywhere.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eopia posted:

It was stated to be this year's Halloween mount when it was shown off, although they said to not expect to have the pose shown in the picture while riding it on release.

They'll change the pose someday I guess so as long as it's not ridiculous, it's fine. I am ready to have a flying chair.

e:
I suppose the manacutter and magitek are flying chairs technically, thinking about it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 16, 2016

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

vOv posted:

GO PLANET

Wouldn't that be Determination instead of Lightning?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Chucat posted:

Wouldn't that be Determination instead of Lightning?
Gotta make sure nobody forgets the masterpiece that was FFXIII.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

This game has some good devs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ha, that's awesome.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Weeping City of Merch (Savage)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

edit: not mine

Realtalk: Is elemental damage even a thing anymore? Doesn't everything now just do darkness damage or something like that so you can't mitigate it outside of cooldown abilities?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the moogle blanket is pretty cute, until you realize that it looks exactly like someone killed a person sized moogle and is wearing their skin

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Spread flat, it resembles nothing so much as a moogleskin rug, which I suppose is sufficient revenge for the Churning Mists.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Leal posted:

Realtalk: Is elemental damage even a thing anymore? Doesn't everything now just do darkness damage or something like that so you can't mitigate it outside of cooldown abilities?

There's a difference between darkness and non-elemental damage. All damage in this game has both a 'type' (physical, magical, darkness) and an element (including non-elemental). Most elemental damage is magic, but there are exceptions (BRD's Windbite.)

In general the element doesn't matter because no job has element-specific mitigation, but I'm pretty sure enemy attacks have the 'right' element. The only major case I can think of is that most of Sophia's attacks do lightning-elemental damage, which is why her tankbuster gives a lightning vuln debuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Sphinx boss from Lost City HM (I think) does wind and earth resistance down to get you with Aero and Quake; Strix also does a lightning down with the imp circle to hit you with Thunder.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

vOv posted:

There's a difference between darkness and non-elemental damage. All damage in this game has both a 'type' (physical, magical, darkness) and an element (including non-elemental). Most elemental damage is magic, but there are exceptions (BRD's Windbite.)

In general the element doesn't matter because no job has element-specific mitigation, but I'm pretty sure enemy attacks have the 'right' element. The only major case I can think of is that most of Sophia's attacks do lightning-elemental damage, which is why her tankbuster gives a lightning vuln debuff.

I guess I'm just surprised SE didn't decide "Eh gently caress it, it really doesn't matter anymore" and stopped bothering assigning proper elemental damage attributes to mobs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There is a screenshot out there of someone melded to the gills with water resist materia and taking bupkis from Leviathan.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Emalde posted:

We already know the floor50+ weapons (and they're in the DB), but here's a still for ones that weren't in the 3.4 trailer:

That's a lot easier on the eyes than the Padjali weapons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leal posted:

I guess I'm just surprised SE didn't decide "Eh gently caress it, it really doesn't matter anymore" and stopped bothering assigning proper elemental damage attributes to mobs.

It's another thing they can tweak in order to make encounters more interesting. See the final fight in Gubal Hard: while it is logical to think that when you're an imp you're weak to lightning but the lightning resist debuff ensures it.

The giant sphinx in lost city hard is another note, considering he casts stone and aero and debuffs resistances to those with his ancient libra.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

This game has some good devs.

I am extremely mad I can't dress up as Yuna until the third fanfest ends

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

vOv posted:

What the hell is Darkness type? Do I want to know?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Chucat posted:

What the hell is Darkness type? Do I want to know?

It's not physical/magical so it can only be mitigated by the non-specific percentile buffs/debuffs. EG: Rampart, Disable, Vengeance etc. work on darkness type attacks, but virus, dragon kick, bulwark etc. don't work on them.

Pretty sure there's also a 'true' (or typeless) style of damage that exists just to make sure people wipe when they mess up mechanics. Acheron's Phlegethon's Ancient Flare is the main example that I can think of at the moment (and I'm pretty sure most examples are in the 24 mans.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 16, 2016

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I just got to experience the Bone Zone and it was magical. :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So do people actually use the in-game housing or whatever? I don't even get it. It's just like... a digital house you can sit in?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also it's some insane amount of gil to get one, which makes it seem extra not worth it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Fashion is the true end game, and housing is the end game of fashion.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

consider housing in this game to be a second character to dress up, except you have infinite possibilities of doing that dress up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

So do people actually use the in-game housing or whatever? I don't even get it. It's just like... a digital house you can sit in?

it's all the fun of animal crossing but you murder gods to make couches and statues

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

FactsAreUseless posted:

As Eopia said, glamour is the true endgame.

Now, imagine glamouring an entire zone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Back in LOTRO i was just visiting the housing lanes one day and found the owner of one of them just sitting in a sofa smoking pipeweed. He invited me to come in and smoke pipeweed with him too. We chatted for a while.

It was the most surreal experience I've had in an MMO. It was probably a one in a million chance of picking a house that someone was actively in at the time just chilling. People usually just build them to look pretty and never once used them for anything other than them being pretty.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Best part of getting a house was that the FC next to us immediately started complaining about how they wanted that house, to the point of parking fat chocobos in front of it to prevent us from getting inside.

Second best was buying all sorts of poo poo to shove in the house so we can shoot the poo poo in a nice place while waiting for queues.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Back in LOTRO i was just visiting the housing lanes one day and found the owner of one of them just sitting in a sofa smoking pipeweed. He invited me to come in and smoke pipeweed with him too. We chatted for a while.

It was the most surreal experience I've had in an MMO. It was probably a one in a million chance of picking a house that someone was actively in at the time just chilling. People usually just build them to look pretty and never once used them for anything other than them being pretty.

My favorite housing thing in an MMO was hitting level 50 in EQ2 while inside my own house. To date I'm probably still one of the only people to have done that :v:

MMO pretty princess catgirls need pretty princess castles to be pretty in, which is most of what makes them appealing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Francis posted:

I'm pretty sure you could remove combat entirely from the game and a third of the subscriber base would cheer while another third would be only mildly disappointed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because two of our FC houses are right next to each other, we basically have our own bustling little Goon District where everyone hangs out in between doin' stuff. It makes things feel lived in :unsmith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Boy, I just... I just do not care about any of that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Do people know what time the lore book goes up in the store tomorrow? Was hoping to try and see if I can snipe it if time permits.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FactsAreUseless posted:

Boy, I just... I just do not care about any of that.

That is okay. This game caters to a whole lot of people with varying interests. It is a Good Thing.

Edit: drat how did I miss this utterly perfect summary

Brother Entropy posted:

it's all the fun of animal crossing but you murder gods to make couches and statues

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

To me housing was a fun novelty that I didn't spend too much time thinking about, until the orchestrion came out. That really brings the whole thing together imo

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty sure there's also a 'true' (or typeless) style of damage that exists just to make sure people wipe when they mess up mechanics. Acheron's Phlegethon's Ancient Flare is the main example that I can think of at the moment (and I'm pretty sure most examples are in the 24 mans.)

Yeah. The steamroller enrage in a10 is apparently physical because I parried it once, but it does 300k damage regardless.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

I dig the 1st LT armor. Totally worth the squadron grinding.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because two of our FC houses are right next to each other, we basically have our own bustling little Goon District where everyone hangs out in between doin' stuff. It makes things feel lived in :unsmith:

Personally I would've preferred a system that let FCs dress up their own neighborhood, rather than just one house amongst dozens. The zone would also be far smaller so it wouldn't be taxing on systems to not render the interior as a separate zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Brother Entropy posted:

Murder the gods, topple their thrones, and drag the throne home for a coffee table.

• Locked thread