Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I'd rather forgo customization and following pokemon and forever if that meant having Pokemon games that are not cut down to Pokemon Go levels and have even a little bit of challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

Get turned into a Pokemon, obviously. I hear that Bill guy has done wonders in that field.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This Pokemon is one of those ones that remind you the whole idea of ghost Pokemon is really drat weird.

Its evolution looks sick as hell though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Macaluso posted:

This Pokemon is one of those ones that remind you the whole idea of ghost Pokemon is really drat weird.

Dartrix dies when it evolves

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

less laughter posted:

Dartrix dies when it evolves

Same for Cubone in Alola. It's pretty grim.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
and girl Snorunts

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Same for Cubone in Alola. It's pretty grim.

Ritualized suicide seems to be a theme in Alola.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the most horrifying pokemon to me is still the child stealing balloon

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well it tries to steal kids, but because it's a balloon, it ends up being dragged around by the kid instead.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda want to play GenV again. Which hack do you guys enjoy the most for those games?

Blaze Black 2/Volt White 2 are good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anybody happen to have any spares of the Tornadus/Thundurus code that was given out at Target last July? Apparently that's about to expire.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope the real Gen 8 still has walking pokemon

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Are all ghost-types necessarily ghosts though, or just ghost-like?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That's something I really like about decidueye. It implies that whatever it is that makes a pokemon ghost-type is not exclusively obtainable through death, and in fact, a living creature can evolve to have ghostly properties. That's awesome!

there's a very interesting premise in the concept of a world where ghosts exist, and the world's fauna have evolved differently because of that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

qnqnx posted:

I'd rather forgo customization and following pokemon and forever if that meant having Pokemon games that are not cut down to Pokemon Go levels and have even a little bit of challenge.
You are getting exactly that next year with Gen 8. Let's Go is not for you, and that's okay.

Potentially you'll get a game with all of that even, if they don't do the GameFreak "take away the good stuff and add new stuff" routine and just use the Switch power to add in everything.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Not all of them, like Mimikyu (but there is an actual undead one in the anime),Sableye and Decidueye. The rest are dead poo poo or random spirits.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I think A-Marowak just channels it’s mothers lingering regrets as hellfire, and the dancing bird does the same with random spirits. Decidueye js weird as poo poo tho since the reasoning is “it’s an extinct animal” and nothing really goes into detail on it across four games’ worth of Pokédex entries and it’s bio on the website.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Decidueye js weird as poo poo tho since the reasoning is “it’s an extinct animal” and nothing really goes into detail on it across four games’ worth of Pokédex entries and it’s bio on the website.
Some people just need everything spelled out for them, huh? The reason for the Ghost typing isn't that complicated.

You see, Young Dartrix was only level seventeen, when his parents built a very strange machine...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ignite Memories posted:

quick, nobody dress like a baby!

Oh, NOW you tell me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Some people just need everything spelled out for them, huh? The reason for the Ghost typing isn't that complicated.

You see, Young Dartrix was only level seventeen, when his parents built a very strange machine...

This is now canon to me

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whelp, I need to visit the strange old man who lets me rename my Pokémon because this has five minutes me ideas.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh hey, they added something actually interesting. How unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF4ARjIbS3Q

Hopefully this will stick because I'd love this kind of battle in a game I'll actually buy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I appreciate the anime reference at the end.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You are getting exactly that next year with Gen 8. Let's Go is not for you, and that's okay.

Potentially you'll get a game with all of that even, if they don't do the GameFreak "take away the good stuff and add new stuff" routine and just use the Switch power to add in everything.

Never ever take a multi-billion dollar company at their word

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Is Thunderpunch Charizard something you can legally obtain?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hopefully this will stick because I'd love this kind of battle in a game I'll actually buy.

ahaha, the metapods

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kikas posted:

Is Thunderpunch Charizard something you can legally obtain?

there's punch tutors for all three in ultra

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never ever take a multi-billion dollar company at their word
What does this mean in this context

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

McDragon posted:

ahaha, the metapods

I cannot wait for the Master Magikarp battle.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blaze Dragon posted:

No items, one Pokemon, FINAL DESTINATION- I mean ultimate duel. I like it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Amppelix posted:

I'm curious too.

KoS, do you think if Let's Go does well they'll like, cancel the main series and only do Let's Go?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The only thing I'm concerned about is does it FORCE you to use the Pokemon they're using or can you use any One mon that you have? It would be more appropriate if it were the former option but it would also be immensely tedious to get a copy of every mon to level 75 or whatever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm curious too.

KoS, do you think if Let's Go does well they'll like, cancel the main series and only do Let's Go?

Amppelix posted:

I could certainly see more resources going to it and it ultimately supplanting the mainline games if it does very significant numbers, yes.

E: or that the mainline games will take a lot more from Let’s Go’s design going forward

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alxprit posted:

The only thing I'm concerned about is does it FORCE you to use the Pokemon they're using or can you use any One mon that you have? It would be more appropriate if it were the former option but it would also be immensely tedious to get a copy of every mon to level 75 or whatever

It looks like you have to challenge them with the pokemon they're a master of.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you directly get the title of being the '____ master' from beating them so presumably you have to have the same pokemon, especially given that every bit of footage shows that exact fact

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also all the "unexpected moves" that were showcased were moves that were super effective against themselves.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If you beat them all do you get the Pokemon Master title that has eluded us for so long?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LEVEL 100 METAPOD MASTER

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, this is the first thing I've seen in Let's Go that might actually prove to be somewhat challenging. I wonder if there's a specific Master for every Kanto Pokemon (if so I'm especially curious about the Metapod and Magikarp Masters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Metapod and Magikarp masters are explicitly shown in the video. There’s one for every Kanto mon.