Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Yeah, none of this applies in the US.

Including food, fuel, and hotels, it's cheaper to drive halfway across this country. If you need to rent a vehicle at your destination for more than a couple of days, it's almost always cheaper to drive.

I did this calculation for my Irma evacuation, from Miami to Detroit, and what you're missing is any valuation of time. I spent about $1200 on airfare (mixed premium economy and first), rental car (Camaro SS :getin:), and parking at MIA (the garage at my building flooded, so that was a win). While a drive to Atlanta would've probably only cost me $200 in gas, it'd've been over 12h of driving each way, as opposed to flying, which each way is 3h of time I can't work through.

I'm lucky to be able to afford the extra $1000 for 18h of my time, and doubly so that I could use the time saved to do paying work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Actually the pay of commercial pilots and airline CEOs should be the market clearing price, which is what it presently is.

:thunk:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

valuation of time.

This is a classic in cost justification. Unless your time would otherwise have been spent making money, your time is worthless to everyone apart from yourself. Being able to afford to pay for convenience is one thing, time valuation is something else entirely. That's not to say that you're wrong or even wasteful spending $1000 to save 18 hrs extra travel time (involving some potentially risky driving), it's just that the "value" of your time depends entirely on how much money you have to spend, not that your time is actually worth anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I did this calculation for my Irma evacuation, from Miami to Detroit, and what you're missing is any valuation of time. I spent about $1200 on airfare (mixed premium economy and first), rental car (Camaro SS :getin:), and parking at MIA (the garage at my building flooded, so that was a win). While a drive to Atlanta would've probably only cost me $200 in gas, it'd've been over 12h of driving each way, as opposed to flying, which each way is 3h of time I can't work through.

I'm lucky to be able to afford the extra $1000 for 18h of my time, and doubly so that I could use the time saved to do paying work.

I'm not missing it, I left it out because it's not quantifiable to any kind of standard. I also like highway driving, so a road trip isn't quite the horror that it is to some people. On the flip side, I hate everything about domestic flying in the post-9/11 era. Even if the costs were on par, I'd probably drive most of the time anyway, up to 2 days each way.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ugh, just doing a web check in with United and was reminded(I somehow forgot) my flight tomorrow to Denver starts in a CRJ200 in economy :negative:
Luckily from there I am in an E175 to Nashville in "First" but I am dreading that earlier flight even more now.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

slidebite posted:

Ugh, just doing a web check in with United and was reminded(I somehow forgot) my flight tomorrow to Denver starts in a CRJ200 in economy :negative:
Luckily from there I am in an E175 to Nashville in "First" but I am dreading that earlier flight even more now.

Bet it's in row 13 too, the blue juice special.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks like 5A. IIRC it will be a very concave window seat.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KLM retired their last Fokker 70 over the weekend. Why is this significant? Well, the airline has had Fokkers in their fleet of one model or another continuously since 1921. That's some kind of record, I suspect.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

slidebite posted:

Wait, someone operates a CRJ-200 with a first/business class?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

KLM retired their last Fokker 70 over the weekend. Why is this significant? Well, the airline has had Fokkers in their fleet of one model or another continuously since 1921. That's some kind of record, I suspect.

I had to look it up but Boeing founded what would become United in 1927 so probably.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

Wait, someone operates a CRJ-200 with a first/business class?

Don’t be silly.

It’s economy plus.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrChips posted:

The new Fokkers are Airbuses, apparently.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Southwest's 737-700s are so goddamned adorable. A318s and 319s just look like short buses with wings. I think the pointy nose makes all the difference.

Or maybe the 737 is iconic while the A31x line is just "functional."

Six-hundred supremacy:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Random question: what do people think was the best fighter aircraft of the 1920s?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Random question: what do people think was the best fighter aircraft of the 1920s?

Boeing P12?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Curtiss P-6?
Bristol Bulldog?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 31, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Which end of the 1920s are you talking about? Because there is a pretty big gap between fighters at the start of the decade and at the end.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

Which end of the 1920s are you talking about? Because there is a pretty big gap between fighters at the start of the decade and at the end.

The 1920s were hilarious, in terms of aircraft development. There can be a big gap between two aircraft that first flew in the SAME year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll throw the NiD-52 and the Dewoitine D.27 in the mix as well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm gonna say the Prajadhipok.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Blackburn Blackburn

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best fighter of the nineteen twenties was whatever was cheap and a good trainer because you don’t get to use it in either of the world wars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In the early 20s it's probably still the Fokker D.VII

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'd just say "whatever was first flown just before December 31st, 1929." I agree that the state of the art of aviation was changing so quickly in that decade that there's no real comparison between early-20s designs and late-20s ones.

For instance, the first Polikarpov I-5 was designed and built before the end of 1929, though its first flight wasn't until the snow had thawed the following March, and the I-5's descendants (I-15 and I-153) were still somewhat competitive in the first year or two of WW2.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The changing technology thing was a big deal for the interwar period. The Soviets got bit by being early adopters in the 20s/30s of mech and plane tech because it was all worn out or obsolete by their time in WW2, though they kinda made up for it by starting the war with as many aircraft as everyone else put together. New techs supported new operational theories but command and control systems weren't yet fielded to enable them fully...doesn't help when you fire/murder the head of the air force multiple times while ignoring the enemy buildup. Oops. I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to say what was 'best' during the 20s because even if it technically was best it might not have mattered at all, if it ever even saw combat.

Turn of the decade tech rendered some 20s stuff rapidly obsolete in the 30s, fun domestic example being the airmail beacons: http://sometimes-interesting.com/2013/12/04/concrete-arrows-and-the-u-s-airmail-beacon-system/

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

After all the crosswind landings, I thought I'd see if I could find any good rejected takeoff videos. They mostly look pretty boring, but something interesting happens in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS1YAX70edc

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Buttcoin purse posted:

After all the crosswind landings, I thought I'd see if I could find any good rejected takeoff videos. They mostly look pretty boring, but something interesting happens in this one:

That's the poster boy example. Even the engine follows safe procedure by failing well before V1. Here's an (oft repeated ITT) Il-18 taking off from Cabinda, Angola, a takeoff I myself would have rejected months in advance, but which the pilots were a bit late with. According to the description, they also had a tail wind and didn't start quite at the far end so they didn't use full length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDsqP30JE_A

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ola posted:

That's the poster boy example. Even the engine follows safe procedure by failing well before V1. Here's an (oft repeated ITT) Il-18 taking off from Cabinda, Angola, a takeoff I myself would have rejected months in advance, but which the pilots were a bit late with. According to the description, they also had a tail wind and didn't start quite at the far end so they didn't use full length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDsqP30JE_A

Is this just you being funny or am I missing something?

Also, as I hadn't seen that video before now: lol at zoom of the pilot having a tantrum in the cockpit.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
All things considered, that could've gone one hell of a lot worse than it did...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

Is this just you being funny or am I missing something?

A takeoff should be rejected when certain parameters are outside their safe values. An IL-18 operating from Angola busts several safety parameters just by being scheduled (this is me trying to be funny).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ola posted:

A takeoff should be rejected when certain parameters are outside their safe values. An IL-18 operating from Angola busts several safety parameters just by being scheduled (this is me trying to be funny).

Ah, yeah. Joke's on me for not knowing poo poo about airplanes. At least I got a cool g-1 bomber jacket now so I can roleplay tom cruise, that ought to help.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Buttcoin purse posted:

My takeaway: "LOOVELY"

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 1, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was waiting on an inbound flight one night (loving off) at MIA and watched an A300B4 reject a takeoff a couple hundred yards late. Blew three or four mains outright on the roll, and the others all deflated on the high-speed turnoff before they could clear the runway, when the plugs melted out of them. I think 9 was closed for like four hours while they changed all the tires.

(That airline was lucky they had eight spare MWAs laying around...)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've been on a 737-200C during a rejected take-off. poo poo got loud.

Mostly because of all the passengers going "ah, gently caress" as soon as the thrust reversers came out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought you weren’t supposed to use thrust reversers on a rejected take off?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The wheel brakes have to be capable of stopping the plane without them for safety rating reasons, but you can absolutely use them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm not sure how many rejected takeoffs I've had. Probably 3 or 4. Only one was what we called a high-speed abort. Fortunately no major issues with that.

But E-3 83-0009 had a good one while TDY to Langley AFB, VA. This aircraft was notorious for electrical problems, and more than a few people were waiting for something seriously bad to happen as a result. Anyway, during the takeoff roll something arced behind the FE's panel, pumping a bunch of smoke into the flight deck, so they pulled a high speed abort. Something in the brakes fused (not sure exactly what happened, but the tire plugs did not melt so I don't think it was a fire), and the aircraft was stuck on the runway (at a single-runway AFB) for several hours while they had to truck in heavy equipment capable of moving the drat thing out of the way. Langley, being a fighter base, didn't have anything so they had to borrow it from NAS Oceana.

My favorite part is that when the crew tried to egress from the aft door, the slide deployed normally but as it inflated it detached from the aircraft and blew away. :lol:

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Enourmo posted:

The wheel brakes have to be capable of stopping the plane without them for safety rating reasons, but you can absolutely use them.

Right, during cert the RTO performance of the plane is tested at max weight and without thrust reversers, but that's intended to represent the "worst case" performance. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to use thrust reversers during a RTO, since I would think that once you decided to abort you would be committed to stopping, and every bit helps. There's a NASA survey about the use of thrust reversers, and added safety margin during RTO was one of the reasons airlines liked to have them. (Interestingly, the overall conclusions of that survey were mixed. Airliners are designed to operate and minimums calculated without considering thrust reversers, so they're totally optional equipment. Airlines like them because using reverse thrust reduces the need to brake, with can increase brake lifespan. But the airframers know that the costs of buying and maintaining a reverse thrust system are actually the same or higher than the cost of extra brake wear from not having them. So, the mystery is, why do airlines keep ordering planes with reverse thrust?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is it even possible to buy a high pass turbofan that'll fit on an airliner these days that doesn't have thrust reversers?