Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vizuyos posted:

I don't really think it hurts the early strips very much to have that spoiled. Prior to the reveal, there isn't really anything that depends on the Snarl story being secret from the reader.
Agreed. If I had to give a book reading order, it'd be...

1, 0, 2, -1, 3, 4, 5... etc.

But it's not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Vizuyos posted:

I don't really think it hurts the early strips very much to have that spoiled. Prior to the reveal, there isn't really anything that depends on the Snarl story being secret from the reader.

I mean, it pretty drastically recontextualizes everything to do with the first gate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gate? What gate?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

We've seen that whether a dwarf died with honor is generally decided by a debate between Hel and the god in question that wants to lobby for them, so the loophole works as well as Loki can argue for it. Given Loki is the god of cheating, lying, and tricking people, I think his dwarven followers have a pretty good chance of making it work.

Don't recall, who adjudicates these debates and picks the winner? Odin?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't think there's an arbiter. I think it runs on internet argument rules - whoever stops arguing first (presumably to go attend to other, more pressing Godly matters) loses.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

SuperKlaus posted:

We don't know if anyone does. The one instance of that we saw was during special circumstances, when all the other gods were busy and Loki and Thor were just using their right to contest the fate of souls as an excuse to barge in and keep an eye on Hel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Start of Darkness is $4.24 at Ookoodook right now. No idea how long the sale lasts, but it's not going to get cheaper than that any time soon.

Absolutely get that, but I've been waiting forever for a reprint of Good Deeds Go Unpunished. It's not like that Dragon book where there's some problems with reprinting it, so I don't know why they don't.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

sebmojo posted:

it's so good

Is there any PDF version, or is it book only?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Noah posted:

https://richburlew.gumroad.com/l/ootssod

Looks to have a PDF version.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

Gumroad: https://richburlew.gumroad.com/l/ootssod

beaten

ironically it currently costs three times as much as the paper version lol

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
With shipping, same price really. On the way.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I want to get some more stickers, note pads, and a coloring book, but I can't bring myself to pay $10 in shipping on a $5 purchase. :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I want to get some more stickers, note pads, and a coloring book, but I can't bring myself to pay $10 in shipping on a $5 purchase. :(

Same here, except because I'm outside the US, it'd be $20 in shipping. I wanted to buy a couple books as a gift, but the ones I want have been sold out since at least September.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Start of Darkness arrived, and I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I was not that impressed. I don't think the quality of the binding was up to par, I already have pages falling out. I am aware that the book is not required to know whats happening in the greater plot, but I guess I still wanted a little more out of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

Start of Darkness arrived, and I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I was not that impressed. I don't think the quality of the binding was up to par, I already have pages falling out. I am aware that the book is not required to know whats happening in the greater plot, but I guess I still wanted a little more out of it.

surprised about the binding, my books have been absolutely munted by my daughter reading them over and over, and they're all dogeared but still solid.

might be worth dropping rich a line, he'd probably want to know (if you can be bothered, obv)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Noah posted:

My copy of Start of Darkness is the same way. I got it with Origin of the PCs and that one is holding up fine, but wow did Start of Darkness just crumble.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My copy is like thirteen years old and near-mint. Genuinely, you got it from a bum printer and I doubt Rich knows he's using one.

E: On further inspection it's a little on the dog-eared side, but I don't think I can fault the printer on that account.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 10, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My copy is like thirteen years old and near-mint. Genuinely, you got it from a bum printer and I doubt Rich knows he's using one.

E: On further inspection it's a little on the dog-eared side, but I don't think I can fault the printer on that account.

Yup, my copies of -1 and 0 from like 2007 still look brand new, despite my manhandling.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Definitely sounds like a quality control issue.

That aside,

Noah posted:

I am aware that the book is not required to know whats happening in the greater plot, but I guess I still wanted a little more out of it.
I have to assume that means that the Redcloak killing his brother scene didn't quite land for you? What made it not stick?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I read Start, yeah it was pretty good but i have a two questions

has redcloaks niece ever showed up? Specifically calling her out seems significant but i vaguely recall that rich regretted it or something?

And

Are lili and doruk both definitely out of the story or can their souls be taken back out the gem? I dont know enough about dnd to see where that plot point might go.

Overall i liked it, altho by its nature as a prequel explaining the villains its quite the downer lol. I have a new appreciation for how much i should be hating xykon tho, drat he sucks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mandatory lesbian posted:

has redcloaks niece ever showed up? Specifically calling her out seems significant but i vaguely recall that rich regretted it or something?

And

Are lili and doruk both definitely out of the story or can their souls be taken back out the gem? I dont know enough about dnd to see where that plot point might go.

Overall i liked it, altho by its nature as a prequel explaining the villains its quite the downer lol. I have a new appreciation for how much i should be hating xykon tho, drat he sucks

no, and maybe.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

girl dick energy posted:

Definitely sounds like a quality control issue.

That aside,

I have to assume that means that the Redcloak killing his brother scene didn't quite land for you? What made it not stick?

I had been thinking about this question, and I think I have the answer. There exists a sweet spot, narratively, where you should read Start of Darkness. You shouldn't read it too early, and you shouldn't read it too late. I believe I've read it too late. Too many of the same beats have already been repeated in the comic at large, and some of the natural constraints of a prequel that has to move along at a breakneck pace make it all feel so abrupt. I don't feel like dealing with a block of spoiler text, but I think this gets the gist across without specific examples.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Makes sense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

On that note, when "should" Start of Darkness be read? When Xykon takes Azure City off the grid is the first natural-feeling spot to come to mind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think it fits well after book 3.

e: It was actually originally published while book 3 was in progress, so you could read it a bit earlier than that, but not too much.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mandatory lesbian posted:

I’m fairly sure her being referenced specifically was meant to be part of Right-Eye’s motivation. He doesn’t just try to kill Xykon out of revenge or for the general sake of the goblin people, he has a daughter out there whose future he wants to secure. Dunno if Rich regrets it as such, but he was certainly surprised people took it as foreshadowing to the degree they did.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
She's going to be an epilogue character for a hopeful goblin future still being possible after redcloak pays for his hubris

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I do have a bone to pick.

The Dark One doesn't give a gently caress about goblins, The Dark One only cares about being right at all costs.

and I think can be exemplified in Durkon's conversation with Redcloak during the implosion combined with Jirix's comment to Redcloak as they left Gobbotoppia. And this only is true with the backstory presented in Start of Darkness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah posted:

I do have a bone to pick.

The Dark One doesn't give a gently caress about goblins, The Dark One only cares about being right at all costs.

and I think can be exemplified in Durkon's conversation with Redcloak during the implosion combined with Jirix's comment to Redcloak as they left Gobbotoppia. And this only is true with the backstory presented in Start of Darkness.
Close! Redcloak only cares about being right at all costs. Xykon says it himself. Redcloak's convinced himself it'll make all the evil he's done (including killing his own brother) worth it if he completes the plan. He's in way, way too deep. The Dark One wants vengeance and justice and, regardless of Redcloak's motivations, he's still following the plan. So, he's giving Redcloak's single-minded obsession with being right his tacit approval, but as a means to the end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, one of the big possibly interesting tweaks is it's entirely possible The Dark One may well have been willing to accept Durkon/Thor's proposal, even if Redcloak wasn't, and that conflict of interest may come into play. After all, the entire point of the plan was to force the gods to the negotiating table via the snarl.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

On that note, when "should" Start of Darkness be read? When Xykon takes Azure City off the grid is the first natural-feeling spot to come to mind.

I think it's this point, yes. The bad-guy interactions in Azure City are the bits where Rich drips in to the main comic the stuff that's trailed in SoD.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Redcloak specifically tells Oona that so long as he wakes up with fresh spells every evening, that’s proof that he’s acting as the Dark One would have him do. It could well just be conversational, but it’s certainly implying that one night he might wake up as a fallen cleric and have to reevaluate his priorities.

Conspicuously, (SoD spoilers) not long after this conversation, he wound up parlaying with an envoy acting in good faith, and tried to kill said envoy with a surprise attack, which is exactly how the Dark One was killed when he was a goblin. It is entirely possible that Redcloak is in for a nasty surprise when next he tries to refresh his spells.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 13, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Redcloak specifically tells Oona that so long as he wakes up with fresh spells every evening, that’s proof that he’s acting as the Dark One would have him do. It could well just be conversational, but it’s certainly implying that one night he might wake up as a fallen cleric and have to reevaluate his priorities.

That's true, but also things are at a critical stage enough that The Dark One might not have any choice here even if he disapproves of this course of action - cutting off Redcloak would lose him everything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, we really don’t know anything about The Dark One, other than the snippets drip-fed through third-hand sources and Jirix’ brief communion. This could be because Redcloak properly represents him and we don’t really need him as another perspective, but I think his general absence at the least implies that he’s not onboard with everything Redcloak is doing and can be pushed to a breaking point.

Particularly since Redcloak has been explicitly called out for caring about his ego more than he does the fate of the goblins in text in the comic. Durkon’s “no’ as many as ye” hit him where it hurt.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wild guess; but maybe The Dark One has been eaten already, somehow, by the Snarl, since Redcloak never hears from him, and the spells he's been casting have been granted by the Snarl itself. What Redcloak's doing is very much in the Snarl's interest, and somethingsomething surprise twist and god magic being weird.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thought: the command of "don't screw this up" came down only after gobbotopia already existed and could be taken to refer to the new nation in a resource rich land

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anything drawn in crayon is explicitly a point of view or a story being told, not objective fact, and this has been proven a couple times. There is absolutely precedent for the situation with TDO being much more complicated than it seems.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Thought: the command of "don't screw this up" came down only after gobbotopia already existed and could be taken to refer to the new nation in a resource rich land

That's backed up by what he said to Jirix: that he would return to the world to fight battles of logistics and diplomacy and trade. Gobbtopia accomplished a lot of TDO's ultimate goals.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

MikeJF posted:

That's backed up by what he said to Jirix: that he would return to the world to fight battles of logistics and diplomacy and trade. Gobbtopia accomplished a lot of TDO's ultimate goals.

The tone of the conversation between redcloak and jirix sure as hell implies that was a lie jirix told his people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1250.html

Alright I'm invested in this conflict again for at least one more page