Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Owling Howl posted:

Pretty sure a lot of sports articles have been generated for a while. As in a game has been played and the teams, score, who scored what when, penalties etc is all known and logged somewhere. Then a computer reformats that data into a generic news article. I would suppose it's also done for business news when earnings reports and whatnot comes out.

Also affiliate-link-laden product review summaries like the "Best %PRODUCT% of 2023" articles that fill the first page of google when you search for %PRODUCT%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

withak posted:

Also affiliate-link-laden product review summaries like the "Best %PRODUCT% of 2023" articles that fill the first page of google when you search for %PRODUCT%.

"Many people use {product} to {first paragraph of Wikipedia}."

We've really gone and made the internet nearly useless in the name of getting a couple nickels from advertising money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Decon posted:

"Many people use {product} to {first paragraph of Wikipedia}."

We've really gone and made the internet nearly useless in the name of getting a couple nickels from advertising money.

I'm pretty sure when I tried to find a decent running app awhile back that one of the "top 10 apps of 20xx" articles was just each entry being several paragraphs where the first was the iOS/Google play description, with several paragraphs after being copy-pastes of 5 star ratings.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Evil Fluffy posted:

My favorite is how they have apparel made for both teams playing in championship games so that the winners can have the merchandise on as soon as the game ends and then whomever loses ends up having their stuff donated to needed countries. So you have villages in Africa where someone's going to be wearing "Eagles Superbowl LIV Champions" t-shirts and such.

Somewhere on this planet, the Buffalo Bills won four Super Bowls in a row and everyone has a full collection of shirts to match.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Volmarias posted:

Phones are differentiated on various things, like size, but also things like power, performance, and battery life. Smaller phones have smaller SoCs, and have less room for battery storage. Meanwhile, the screens themselves actually drain much less power than you would think; live wallpapers became a thing when people realized that the battery cost to render simple ones was negligible, and they looked neat. This is to say nothing about the benefits of a larger screen; crisp video playback with less eyestrain from a tiny screen, fancier interfaces due to more available real estate, more precise touch targets, etc

A smaller phone will still have many of the requirements of a larger one, such as minimum storage for the OS and apps, various sensor packages, front and rear facing cameras, minimum processing power and RAM for the OS, frequent network connectivity, etc. A phone with 1/3 the battery may still use the same amount of power. Unless you're willing to use a phone that has the battery life of one day, or one which barely seems able to do anything, it's unlikely that you'll accept a device with these constraints.

Right, but one of those constraints is "easy to use with one hand, and fits nicely in my front pocket" and the larger the screen gets, the more difficult those aspects become. I had a larger Android phone for a while, and I can't say I liked the size much. I carry a tablet and often also a laptop for work, I have absolutely no need for a larger screen or, frankly, more than 12 hours battery life.

EDIT: The tablet I carry for work is the iPad Mini, once again because larger doesn't mean better. Dealing with a full-sized iPad would be extra awkward for no benefit to me. But for when I'm travelling and I might watch movies on my iPad or something, I have a regular-sized iPad, although it's getting much less use ever since I got a Surface, because as it turns out, it's nice having a tablet that's also a full-rear end computer.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 22, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Watch with no strap is the new tinyphone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PT6A posted:

EDIT: The tablet I carry for work is the iPad Mini, once again because larger doesn't mean better. Dealing with a full-sized iPad would be extra awkward for no benefit to me. But for when I'm travelling and I might watch movies on my iPad or something, I have a regular-sized iPad, although it's getting much less use ever since I got a Surface, because as it turns out, it's nice having a tablet that's also a full-rear end computer.

To each their own. Personally having used an iPad mini and an iPad Pro, there’s no way I could do anything productive on a mini. If I had a mini it would be for consuming media, but why would I want an iPad mini for that when I have a phone.

Not saying you’re wrong for having your opinion but like I hope you can recognize that people have different needs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boris Galerkin posted:

To each their own. Personally having used an iPad mini and an iPad Pro, there’s no way I could do anything productive on a mini. If I had a mini it would be for consuming media, but why would I want an iPad mini for that when I have a phone.

Not saying you’re wrong for having your opinion but like I hope you can recognize that people have different needs.

Oh, for sure. My point is that it's silly to reduce the number of sizes assuming there's reasonable demand for all of them, because indeed everyone has different needs and desires. If I'm trying to do normal sort of productivity-work, the Surface or an iPad Pro are way better than a mini, but if I'm trying to look at approach plates in a 172 cockpit, a regular iPad would be unwieldy. If I didn't have an iPad Mini for those requirements, then perhaps I would want a larger phone to bridge the gap, but I instead want a small phone that's more convenient to use one-handed. I'm moaning about the lack of choices, not saying what's right for me is the One True Solution.

I really couldn't advise, for example, my Surface to most people. If you don't need the full features of a standard, general-purpose operating system, it's bloated crap. But I'm glad that I have one, because for exactly what I need, it's great.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

apple literally knows the number of tiny iPhones it sells and have tried it several times. they aren't blindly guessing they sell like poo poo

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm very curious what a '100x zoom' on a person looks like. The moon is pretty easy for an AI to generate. They suck at humans.

I wonder if people are getting confused zooming into their children on sports day and wondering why they look hosed up and have 6 fingers.

You seem to have a impression that an AI will generate the images.* The phone just has a 3x and a 10x physical zoom lens. After that it just uses digital zoom to 10x the picture.
At 100x zoom people will be quite blurry, but still recognizable as humans. Workable zoom levels (where you can read text clearly off your photos) should be around 30-40x zoom.

* Though there was a earlier Huawei​ phone, which replaced the moon with a proffessionally taken shot, when it noticed you were taking a photo of a zoomed in moon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

evilweasel posted:

apple literally knows the number of tiny iPhones it sells and have tried it several times. they aren't blindly guessing they sell like poo poo

Are they selling like poo poo though? I know more people with 12 minis than larger phones, most of my co-workers have minis and are actively avoiding an upgrade.

EDIT: I think their pricing model is a problem. The minis have always been cheaper and I don't think it's sustainable. But they should just price them the same as a larger phone, or even charge more for them, because the smaller screen is a premium feature, not a compromise. I'm not buying a TV for my living room (an area where I firmly believe bigger is better, I bought the largest TV that would fit), I'm buying a phone that will live in my pocket for most of its life.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 23, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PT6A posted:

Are they selling like poo poo though? I know more people with 12 minis than larger phones, most of my co-workers have minis and are actively avoiding an upgrade.

EDIT: I think their pricing model is a problem by design.

There's a whole marketing model around making the lowest end look like poo poo to get everyone to upsell. Apple's strength had always been marketing.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Apple has never cared about giving people what they want. Apple tells people what they should want.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There's a whole marketing model around making the lowest end look like poo poo to get everyone to upsell. Apple's strength had always been marketing.

Well the obvious problem with that logic is that they could just as easily claim it's more expensive to pack ALL THE POWER of an iPhone 15 into a tiny package, and therefore you must pay more for the small one... and I'd do it, because I like the size of my iPhone 12 Mini, and I do not want the phone to be larger. It could very well be the size of an iPhone 4 and I'd be even happier. I'm not avoiding the larger phones because they cost more, I'm avoiding them because I don't like them, and I would happily pay a premium to avoid them.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I think their pricing model is a problem. The minis have always been cheaper and I don't think it's sustainable. But they should just price them the same as a larger phone, or even charge more for them, because the smaller screen is a premium feature, not a compromise. I'm not buying a TV for my living room (an area where I firmly believe bigger is better, I bought the largest TV that would fit), I'm buying a phone that will live in my pocket for most of its life.

Yeah you got it right you're really plugged in my man. The mini sold so well that they didn't bother releasing a new version, since that's what you do with hit technology products. And your idea of drastically raising the price? Brilliant.

They sell like poo poo because the battery is poo poo and people like to consume video content on a larger screen more than they like easy one-handedness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You could just listen to this poster and get the:

... which exists and is nearly the same size as the mini.

Or in Android land, the annoyingly bigger but much better Galaxy S non-plus phones. I still hate the 21:9 aspect ratio because you can't reach the whole screen one handed but you may as well go to the Android thread and complain about the death of removable batteries/SD cards/headphone jacks and see what good that does.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

During the Pilot's creation (later the Palm Pilot, unless I have that reversed), the lead carved a piece of wood that would just fit in his shirt pocket, and insisted on that as the device dimensions.

It was a good form factor. Even though I wouldn't give up the sophisticated features of my Pixel, I loved my Pilot, while I merely use my Pixel.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah you got it right you're really plugged in my man. The mini sold so well that they didn't bother releasing a new version, since that's what you do with hit technology products. And your idea of drastically raising the price? Brilliant.

They sell like poo poo because the battery is poo poo and people like to consume video content on a larger screen more than they like easy one-handedness.

I think he is onto something, I was surprised that the mini was cheaper than a full size. My own kids will grab the mini over the larger (work provide ) Iphones, I assumed Apple is culling it because it is cannibalizing sales of the larger units at a lower margin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the lower-end options for phones in particular seem to be extremely bedgrudging. I still say it's best idea to get whatever brand is newest on the market, they'll be actually selling a decent package at a decent price so they can grab market share before they discontinue it and try to push the fancy models.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really think the people who want smaller phones is insignificant compared to the people who don’t. This seems more like a terminally online problem, confirmation bias, or just the minority being loud.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Get whichever phone you like, they're going to roll it into your plan anyways and lock you in

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

plan?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Pulled out an old iPhone and turned it on after a while: "PHONE ACTIVATION REQUIRED, CONNECT TO A WIRELESS NETWORK" :rolleyes:

Can't wait until they decommission some of their older activation servers and brick a shitload of devices.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

HootTheOwl posted:

Get whichever phone you like, they're going to roll it into your plan anyways and lock you in

I haven't had a 'plan' in over a decade. SIM only rolling monthly contracts are so much cheaper and flexible.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

How do you guys go with dual sim phones? Do you need to register two plans on the one phone?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PT6A posted:

I mean, they’ve tried and failed to make small ones a thing more than once. Each time, they’ve then dropped the small version while continuing to sell the larger ones (and continuing to expand how big the biggest phones are). There’s certainly some people who want small phones - but clearly they’re not a large group. Or, apple is just terrible at figuring out their customers - which seems odd, because their phone business is basically their business these days.

There’s definitely a market for those phones - but it is not big enough in comparison to other iPhone sizes that Apple keeps deciding addressing that market is not worth the extra SKUs. But large ones are worth the extra SKUs. Apple has an effective monopoly on iPhone users and wildly overcharge for their phones as a result so I would be very surprised to consider they have not considered “what if we just charge more for the mini ones to make up for the small market” because clearly they’re mining their customer’s wallets as much as possible.

About your personal experience - people who want as “mini” probably aren’t evenly distributed. If I had to guess, I expect you’re in a social/work group that commonly has another device around so you use your phone a lot less as a mini-tablet than most people do, and your phone is mostly a phone. But for many people a phone is primarily a mini-tablet: I use my phone for internet browsing like 10-20x as much as for texting or calling. So the largest phone that fits in my pocket works best for me because then I don’t carry around another device for internet. I suspect that is the most common reason that people gravitate to large phones.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Electric Wrigglies posted:

How do you guys go with dual sim phones? Do you need to register two plans on the one phone?

Used to have issues with it but I solved it by switching to this strategy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's more to a decision to pull a product from the market than just sales. Apple itself with its enormous war chest is likely operating more like an investment firm than a traditional hardware seller, which is made more likely by its fanatical devotion to maintaining its Brand at any cost. It makes sense if you think something else will sell just as well because people are buying a brand and not a product, and the something else has a much fatter profit margin.

Everybody I know personally who doesn't like Apple much on the whole but does like their iPhone has had an SE or equivalent smaller model. This is probably a pretty small segment though, and since the former will buy whatever and there's a couple hundred of the latter, away it goes. I work somewhere that Apple fandom gets burned out of people via the blowtorch of trying to standardize things for security tho.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Old Surly posted:

Yeah, if you play fantasy football you know the deal. The weekly wrap up article is AI garbage. Good job PLAYER1 this week your RUNNING BACKS out performed their estimated RUNYARDS.

Reminds me of the updates I still see sometimes from Blaseball.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I get the feeling folks who like small phones end up replacing their phone less than folks who like big ones. I guess I assume if you have a smaller phone you use it for less, its less likely to break, and you're not caught up in getting the latest.

If that's the case, even if the population of small phoners is like 40% of the people, the annual unit sales could be like 20% of the total market

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

I get the feeling folks who like small phones end up replacing their phone less than folks who like big ones. I guess I assume if you have a smaller phone you use it for less, its less likely to break, and you're not caught up in getting the latest.

If that's the case, even if the population of small phoners is like 40% of the people, the annual unit sales could be like 20% of the total market

I think you hit the point. More broken phones = higher sales. Why design around a feature that costs you sales. Planned obsolescence aside this sure seems like a simple incentive balance problem.

Making durable goods is not compatible with modern capitalism.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Phones have finally reached the point that they are very boring and essentially all the same. I haven't been excited about an Android version release since 6?
I'll be upgrading my phone this year but only because the security update support is ending, if it wasn't I'd probably keep it until it smashed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The screen on my phone from 2020 broke and it was as expensive to fix the screen as it was to buy a used one. I went back to my previous phone from 2017 as a temporary measure til I figured out what I wanted to do. It works perfectly fine and I have zero complaints about performance. Don't even know why I upgraded to begin with.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948926941507584

I've been seeing this more and more and it's pretty upsetting. Google is turning into the shady file download sites where you have to find the real button among dozens of fake ones that will gently caress you up.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Mega Comrade posted:

Phones have finally reached the point that they are very boring and essentially all the same. I haven't been excited about an Android version release since 6?
I'll be upgrading my phone this year but only because the security update support is ending, if it wasn't I'd probably keep it until it smashed.

Poptech sites still publish breathless reviews of new phones like it's 2010 but the number of people who give a poo poo at this point must be quite small. You either buy the latest and best or sort the list by price, filter for requirements and pick the one with the best credible user reviews in your price range.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
A meandering but eventually on-topic post:

First things first: I know I'm an idiot, Facebook is not a storage platform, they shouldn't be the only place I have certain photos. I have all my photos back to 2014 backed up as they're linked to my Google Photos account, but everything before then isn't. I kept saying I should go back and back them up, but didn't. They're not like wedding photos or last photos of grandparents or anything, but they're still nice memories that I'd rather have back than not.

Anyway: logged on last Saturday to look at some old photos, & noticed that two albums (about 50-100 photos each) from the early days of my relationship with my wife were completely gone from Facebook. A third album is still there, with a note saying it contains 152 items, but I can't see any of them:

I read a bunch of advice sites saying, wait 72 hours. Did, nothing came up.

Searched help center for "album missing", "album disappeared" etc, but I just keep getting articles about rule violations, which isn't the case here unless photos of a hiking weekend are against the rules.

Tried writing to Facebook support on Twitter, got no official response but a LOT of "go to Instagram page XYZ & they can restore" spam.

Have tried a bunch of their Facebook's corporate emails etc but no response. Tried submitting "there's a problem", with no response.

Suddenly realised: all the missing photos were uploaded by Bloom uploader. Everything else is fine. Wondering if that's got something to do with it somehow? Sounds like the type of horseshit that could happen in this digital hell.

My wife's really upset as these were the only copies of these photos we had. I had no idea that Facebook has exactly 0 live support. Found some online communities of people getting stalked/death threats, with no realistic way to contact FB directly. Might do the "Meta paid subscription" for a month to get them back.

ANYWAY: as part of all this & trying to think of ways to get my photos back (any recommendations highly appreciated btw), I went and dug out my old devices, and: my god was the Nexus 5/7 combo amazing in terms of form factor.

I've got a One+ 6 currently (should probably update), and it's both too big to use as a phone & too small to use as a tablet. I was much happier having a small phone in my pocket & a tablet in my bag.

I'll tell you one large demographic who wants smaller phones btw: people with smaller hands. Ladies and children for starters. I have big hands with long skeleton fingers, and I can JUST about reach all corners of the screen with one hand. My wife hates her 6+ & wishes she could go back to the 5.

Any recommendations for non-poo poo battery life 5-inch phones? That's why we left the Nexus, could barely hold a charge.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mourning Due posted:

I'll tell you one large demographic who wants smaller phones btw: people with smaller hands. Ladies and children for starters. I have big hands with long skeleton fingers, and I can JUST about reach all corners of the screen with one hand. My wife hates her 6+ & wishes she could go back to the 5.

I think almost every woman I know well has at some point moaned about the size of modern phones. But I see people (including some in this thread) claim they are a minority. Maybe they are but personally I think it's just the tech industry doing what it's always done, pander to men almost exclusively.

Mourning Due posted:

Any recommendations for non-poo poo battery life 5-inch phones? That's why we left the Nexus, could barely hold a charge.

The Asus zenphone 9 is 5.9"
Samsung A series has a few around 6"
Pixel 6a is 6.1"

You can't really get smaller than that anymore.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 24, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

StumblyWumbly posted:

My unsubstantiated fan theory as to why the iPhones mini didn’t sell well is that they released the SE2 just a few months prior to the 12. A lot of the small-phone market for the 12 mini had probably been holding on to their SE1 for several years, didn’t know the 12 mini was coming, and got an SE2 instead (which they kept rather than moving to a 12 or 13 mini).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I love my SE, I hope it never dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm planning to keep my 2020 SE going long enough for the first SE to be available with a Type-C connector.