Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Random Motley Fool Stocks

You know how those ratings work right? I'd encourage you not to use them, especially for multi-year holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

I opened my brokerage account and threw my darts at three of the highest rated stocks on Motley Fool just to get my feet wet since I had never bought before. I started with 500 dollars and started buying up some stuff.

This is something you definitely should not be doing.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

You do have to admit that it's valuable to learn that lesson early and with only $500, though.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Consider also that KV Pharmaceuticals had to delay its SEC filings by almost a full year in response to FDA investigations (something you always want to see with a pharmaceutical retailer), which included a recall of essentially every product they manufacture.

I find it unlikely that anything short of a Chapter 11 would repair the company.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks for the input. I did not expect to do anything with this money but squander it, being 21 gives me some time to learn too I think.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 9, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Thanks for the input. I did not expect to do anything with this money but squander it, being 21 gives me some time to learn too I think.

Not to pick on you personally, but this comes up a lot: just because one can afford to lose money doesn't mean that he should.

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

BANR has been doing really well this week since they announced a new President.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Heh, I took a good beating on GNVC, pulled everything out save 1000 shares before the TNFerade news came through, not sure what to do with them now. Still up a couple K from the whole affair so I'm not too upset.

I'm going to stick with GGP and Chinese solar stocks (JASO, specifically) for the next couple months. GGP should be a short term play, JASO I could see hitting $9-10 in the near future with the way that China is expanding it's solar power grid (over 70x in the next 10 years, gonna be some big contracts).

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

First stock I ever bought was Apple and its up 350% since then so try picking a winner when you start instead of wasting your money on this poo poo. If you bought it already, sell it and buy something else.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN
Mar 18, 2007

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Not to pick on you personally, but this comes up a lot: just because one can afford to lose money doesn't mean that he should.

Yeah I understand, I'll be selling when NYSE opens up next week. I have a couple of stocks picked out.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I did something stupid. I went long on Crew Gold after they filed the year-end financials and took a massive drop when people saw their loss incl. exceptional items. I didn't do any due diligence on what was going on with them currently because I'm an idiot, and already knew what was going on operations-wise from covering them at work. I've broken even, but turns out that Endeavour Financial and OAO Severstal are in a battle for control of the company.

If they sustain their bidding war and drive the price up, that would be great. But Severstal has called for an EGM to remove the board and replace it with its own nominees. Clearly a move like this is going to reduce confidence, but should I cut and run do you guys think? Thanks.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
I want to hedge some of my long EM/commodities exposure. Let's say the China bubble pops for whatever reason, oil slips and there's a negative demand shock through the resource sector. What would start outperforming?

I'm considering international/US/Canadian bonds because they might benefit from the prospect of a sustained low interest rate environment, but I don't know much about fixed income investing.

I'm considering gold because it could benefit from it's perceived safety and stability, but less inflation risk and a stronger US dollar might drive it down too.

I'm also considering US mid/large caps because they could benefit from a flight to quality assuming the US recovery is entrenched, but then a strong US dollar and weak global markets could hurt them even more.

Any flaws/ideas? Right now I'm thinking gold might be the safest bet.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Any advice on Silver holdings or mining companies?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I never in a million years thought I'd be saying this, but... drat I wish I had some PALM.

(I hope HTC buys them for their patents so they can give Apple a big 'gently caress you')

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I never in a million years thought I'd be saying this, but... drat I wish I had some PALM.

(I hope HTC buys them for their patents so they can give Apple a big 'gently caress you')
You could have easily bought it around the open at 5.60 and you'd be up 9% right now.

I thought about doing the trade today but forgot about it. :sigh:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I think if anyone buys PALM it will be GOOG, and that would be great for the entire smartphone space.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Dr. Eldarion posted:

A lot of the analysts are pricing the value of their IP (which is all they really have) at less than what it is trading at. I wouldn't be in it. But what will probably happen is it will go ridiculously higher since its one of the 3 M&A plays being trumped up by the news outlets while the negotiations drag on, so you can probably still make some coin off it until firms start throwing out reasonable offers.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just bought 20 contracts worth of calls at a strike price of $20 for GGP.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

destructo posted:

Well they already went bankrupt once in the last year, chances are pretty low of a second one so soon! Coincidentally, the bankruptcy was just about this time last year! Neat.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ayekappy posted:

Well they already went bankrupt once in the last year, chances are pretty low of a second one so soon! Coincidentally, the bankruptcy was just about this time last year! Neat.
I guess we'll see who's right in this case. Going bankrupt for insolvency instead of illiquidity is hardly as bad, SPG and a slew of others are still in the bidding for GGP. By my estimates either I'll either be up a couple grand or down a couple hundred, not a bad risk/reward as I don't have enough free capital to buy enough shares to make the investment worthwhile right now.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Yeah sorry, I guess I'm just a grumpy ol' meany who doesn't see any growth potential in malls whatsoever for the foreseeable future. But I guess that's only because of all of the barren strip malls and desolate "real" malls in my area. One plot of commercial real estate was made about 2 years ago, with about 12 store openings, and a whole one has been filled! And I'm in Northern Virginia, where we're supposed to be feeling a minimal economic sting! Woot.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

destructo posted:

Which expiration?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
There is a lot of information for me to read still but I am trying to absorb as much as I can. I am looking for solid growth stocks. I would prefer small cap companies that are sturdy (as possible). However I am not sure where to begin.

My goal is to invest a little every week or at least month for the long term and hope that it grows nicely. I am poor and don't expect to get rich (Maybe down the road accumulate enough money to set some aside and be a little more aggressive in trading.), however I would like to think I can find some stocks that will beat the S&P500. Any suggestions?

Side question:
Also, from my limited knowledge I believe most growth based stocks usually don't pay dividends to maximize growth. But what if I picked a stock that did and just reinvested? For whatever reason a company paying dividends and using that to get more shares seems more appealing.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

There is a lot of information for me to read still but I am trying to absorb as much as I can. I am looking for solid growth stocks. I would prefer small cap companies that are sturdy (as possible). However I am not sure where to begin.

My goal is to invest a little every week or at least month for the long term and hope that it grows nicely. I am poor and don't expect to get rich (Maybe down the road accumulate enough money to set some aside and be a little more aggressive in trading.), however I would like to think I can find some stocks that will beat the S&P500. Any suggestions?

Plenty. Qwest, American Lorain, Air T, Breitburn Energy Partners, Chiquita Brands, are all some of my favorites. But I suggest you find out why before you buy them.

Side question:
Also, from my limited knowledge I believe most growth based stocks usually don't pay dividends to maximize growth. But what if I picked a stock that did and just reinvested? For whatever reason a company paying dividends and using that to get more shares seems more appealing.

Much as I distrust mainstream financial economics, I take their side in this issue. Where is a company's growth going to come from if it pays out dividends? A company is a growth company because at least for now it has a high return on its assets. Such a company needs as many assets as possible, and it makes no sense to pay dividends instead of acquiring more assets. When the growth terminates and the company is earning the same return on its assets as anyone else, then is the time for dividends.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The quintessential growth stock is Apple, but since you're looking for growth stocks, The Buckle seems to be growing in popularity and only has 370 stores in 39 states so far. It's probably good for another year or solid growth before we see some deceleration.

edit: BKE apparently has a $1.7b market cap so nevermind.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Hobologist posted:

Plenty. Qwest, American Lorain, Air T, Breitburn Energy Partners, Chiquita Brands, are all some of my favorites. But I suggest you find out why before you buy them.

BBEP has fairly large negative profit margin. However I assume you are basing this one on the recent news of changing policies. When I see a negative profit margin like that should I go to EDGAR and see how it compares with the year before or the reasoning behind it? If it seems a fluke then it could be a positive otherwise because they will return or surpass past profit margins or they invested in expansion?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I bought a $50 lottery ticket and bought some May $1.00 ABK PUTS

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Which expiration?
May

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

I'm going to assume you meant $2.00 ABK puts since they're trading at 43 cents.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm going to assume you meant $2.00 ABK puts since they're trading at 43 cents.

No, they were the $1.00 MAY ABK PUTS that I bought at .05 a piece when ABK was around $3.15-$3.20 or so.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

No, they were the $1.00 MAY ABK PUTS that I bought at .05 a piece when ABK was around $3.15-$3.20 or so.
You bought 10 contracts? That only makes sense if you think it's going to $0.00 before May.

vvv Touche :golfclap:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 13, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Or I could just sell them for .30 or something in the next few days.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

BBEP has fairly large negative profit margin. However I assume you are basing this one on the recent news of changing policies. When I see a negative profit margin like that should I go to EDGAR and see how it compares with the year before or the reasoning behind it? If it seems a fluke then it could be a positive otherwise because they will return or surpass past profit margins or they invested in expansion?

No, I'm actually basing it on the effect of their future oil hedges being included in their income statement, but not the future income that's being protected by those hedges. Put back $219 million in unrealized losses and you'll find they did pretty well last year.

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

ayekappy posted:

Lottery ticket already doubled in value it seems.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ayekappy posted:

Nice call.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
INTC I love you

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

Insaint posted:

Lottery ticket already doubled in value it seems.

And again, that's some sweet timing.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

INTC I love you
INTC is solid. Prediction, AMD will lose 5 cents a share in a couple days and people will be happy. How AMD still has supporters around here is beyond me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Foma posted:

INTC is solid. Prediction, AMD will lose 5 cents a share in a couple days and people will be happy. How AMD still has supporters around here is beyond me.
Still riding on goodwill from the Athlon through Athlon 64 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
AMD is up 28 cents in after hours. God I wish I bought when they were $4.