Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just a bump because it's getting near the edge of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Might as well post about shoes.

Ecco updated their Track 6 GTX so it almost looks like an actual shoe and not orthopedic footwear!

I haven't tried them yet but they look promising. [$210]

I just picked up my second pair of these, they're really good lightweight hikers that look almost like running shoes.

Adidas AX1 Gore-Tex [$120 or $85 sans waterproofing]

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
I'm going on a month long trip to Korea, and I bought an MEI Voyager. Will give my feedback once I get it. I wanted to bump this thread because it's been useful to read about other people's thoughts.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm getting ready for a 2.5 month motorcycle trip in Europe. This thread is pretty great. Although I have weird needs like carrying a full set of fall/winter moto gear. But I will have 3 big boxes to tote my stuff around in.

Shoes are probably the worst thing, I am considering just taking my black Nike Frees as they look pretty muted and are comfortable do-anythings.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

qirex posted:

Might as well post about shoes.

Ecco updated their Track 6 GTX so it almost looks like an actual shoe and not orthopedic footwear!

I haven't tried them yet but they look promising. [$210]
These look awesome. I've been traveling with the Track 5's for a year and a half now and they have held up incredibly well, plus they're super comfortable for walking, but the sole is a bit too aggressive looking. The Track 6 looks a lot more like a normal dressy shoe.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
So for the UK'ers looking into shoes options, I got a pair of these a couple of weeks ago instore at Schuh for £50.

The styling is kinda trainery, but the front upper part has a formal look to it. When wearing long trousers I reckon they could pass to get into most nightclubs while still having a good grip for general day to day usage. Of course I'm not sure about the long term wear potential on the soles, but in comfort and styling they are definitely a winner in my opinion.

Azzip fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 16, 2012

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm going to be traveling Korea in a month for a conference. I'm looking for a new multipurpose bag, carry-on or stowed, since I'm tired of buying the cheap ones that will invariably rip within two days. I'm looking at the Mother Lode TLS convertible or Weekender eTech Convertible. It looks like each is about the same packing size and similar features. I'm leaning towards the Mother Lode, one day when I actually have money to do more traveling than I can right now, graduate student, I'd like a heftier bag.

One question I have, if anyone has a Mother Lode, is how protected is the laptop sleeve? I'm wondering if my laptop would be safe if the bag was stowed under the plane? I'd have a second bag for my carry-on and thinking about the long flight don't want to mess with the Mother Lode as a carry-on as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

calandryll posted:

I'm going to be traveling Korea in a month for a conference. I'm looking for a new multipurpose bag, carry-on or stowed, since I'm tired of buying the cheap ones that will invariably rip within two days. I'm looking at the Mother Lode TLS convertible or Weekender eTech Convertible. It looks like each is about the same packing size and similar features. I'm leaning towards the Mother Lode, one day when I actually have money to do more traveling than I can right now, graduate student, I'd like a heftier bag.

One question I have, if anyone has a Mother Lode, is how protected is the laptop sleeve? I'm wondering if my laptop would be safe if the bag was stowed under the plane? I'd have a second bag for my carry-on and thinking about the long flight don't want to mess with the Mother Lode as a carry-on as well.

I'd forgoe the laptop pocket and just put the laptop in the middle of your clothes if you are going to check it. It works fine when carrying on but I wouldn't trust it to the abuse that baggage handlers can sometimes give bags.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
How do you guys deal with shoes when you plan on say, hiking up an Indonesian mountain? Take an extra sturdy pair or just harden the gently caress up?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I went on my hilltribe trek in Thailand I didn't have appropriate shoes so I just bought a pair of cheap hiking shoes locally and threw them out afterwards. I can see that going horribly wrong though, and if you're traveling instead of living somewhere finding a shoe store might be an extra half day out of your trip.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah but carrying around hiking shoes for those couple of days they might come in handy is not a much better solution.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Exactly, so how do you feel about not using hiking shoes at all? Acceptable risk? Stupid move?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Depends on what your other shoes are I guess. I'd certainly feel fine about it in anything with a decent sole that fits okay.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The risk depends on the conditions. The Adidas I posted above I'd use for anything that didn't involve carrying a heavy bacpack or extremely rocky conditions [scree/lava] in which case I'd want nubuck or leather. I'm assuming Indonesia=jungle and mud in which case what's important is probably fit and breathability over tread pattern or foot protection.

I'm in Amsterdam now and I want to give 2 thumbs up to my Nau Lightbeam jacket which has been great for the conditions [breezy and showers]. Just wait for them to go on sale if you're interested.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I just bought:
http://www.frostriver.com/bushcraft/bushcraft_isleroyal_jr.html
http://www.frostriver.com/winter_wear/great_northern.html
http://www.frostriver.com/briefcases/leather_journal.html

For a trip coming up soon. All I read is good things about Frost River products. Anyone have a FR pack?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Rojkir posted:

How do you guys deal with shoes when you plan on say, hiking up an Indonesian mountain? Take an extra sturdy pair or just harden the gently caress up?

Maybe a pair of sturdy sandals will do the trick?

wear socks with them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rojkir posted:

Exactly, so how do you feel about not using hiking shoes at all? Acceptable risk? Stupid move?
Stupid move if you're going to be wearing leather-soled dress shoes. Probably fine if you're otherwise going to be wearing sneakers or other shoes with sneaker-like soles. Most people don't actually wear what you're likely imagining as "hiking shoes" when hiking these days anyway, they wear sneakers or trail running shoes which are like normal running shoes just with some sort of hard part in the middle to make jumping around on rocks suck less and maybe harder rubber, neither of which matters if you're just on dirt and not rocks.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 9, 2012

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Has anyone seen the Scottevest travel clothes and have any comments to make on them? If they really do conceal the fact that you're carrying a bunch of crap under that jacket or vest? They seem ...interesting, anyway. They try to pitch it as you don't even need baggage, or may be a good way to at least reduce the baggage you bring. I don't remember seeing them in this thread before but it's been a while since I've read it all.

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods

calandryll posted:

Please never pack your laptop or anything else in your checked luggage if you can avoid it. If you have to a good test for if it is likely to break or not is packing your bag normally, hopefully you remembered to wrap your laptop in several protective layers of towels. Find a second story window above some concrete. Toss your bag out the window onto the concrete. Did anything break? No? Good now your bag is ready to be loaded by a 60 year old Samoan who can throw a 60 pound bag 30 feet onehanded while kneeling. Also I hope everything in your bag can handle a half ton of other bags being loaded on top of it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

cyberbully posted:

INSPECTOR GADGET VEST

It's a fun idea for the business traveler but a bit too ambitious for anything more than 2 or 3 days and a fully loaded vest is going to be bulky, heavy and make you sweat a lot when you walk around town. And clunky too if you fit in a bunch of chargers (guess usb is doable). And good luck walking through x ray with that. I too usually stuff my wallet and coin bag into my jacket and throw it onto the xray but can you really throw down the whole jacket into the security scanner?

And how about bad weather? Putting your items into a bag is a safer than spreading everything out like a trench coat pervert

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cyberbully posted:

Has anyone seen the Scottevest travel clothes and have any comments to make on them? If they really do conceal the fact that you're carrying a bunch of crap under that jacket or vest? They seem ...interesting, anyway. They try to pitch it as you don't even need baggage, or may be a good way to at least reduce the baggage you bring. I don't remember seeing them in this thread before but it's been a while since I've read it all.

I've had one of their old Tactical fleece and jacket combos for about 10 years. It conceals up to about half its total capacity pretty decently, but when you start maxing it out it bulges noticeably. I think mine has about 50 pockets total and if I try to use them all I forget where I put stuff.

I don't think you can seriously replace baggage with them, but it lets you keep the stuff you might keep in a small travel bag (money, camera, docs, phone, netbook, flashlight, t-shirt, hat, umbrella, snacks, etc) on your person instead. Comes in handy when visiting particularly tight-assed museums that frown on bags but allow coats.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Eagle Creek has a new bag that looks pretty nice, it's on the smaller side [20 x 13 x 8] but it opens flat like I like and has a super-padded handle which you really come to appreciate in customs/security lines.

My trusty Modus convertible is showing its age, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a new bag before my next big trip, I will document the decision in excruciating detail in the thread.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

qirex posted:

Eagle Creek has a new bag that looks pretty nice, it's on the smaller side [20 x 13 x 8] but it opens flat like I like and has a super-padded handle which you really come to appreciate in customs/security lines.

My trusty Modus convertible is showing its age, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a new bag before my next big trip, I will document the decision in excruciating detail in the thread.

That bag looks pretty nice and might work great as an overnight bag plus briefcase. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 21, 2012

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Is there some type of large very simple bag (ie a drawstring bag) I can put luggage into and lock? I bought this: http://www.frostriver.com/bushcraft/bushcraft_isleroyal_jr.html I love it and it is beautiful, but it's all buckles and there is no way to lock it for flights or travel when it's not with me, to discourage baggage handlers stealing items inside etc.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 24, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Is there some type of large very simple bag (ie a drawstring bag) I can put luggage into and lock? I bought this: http://www.frostriver.com/bushcraft/bushcraft_isleroyal_jr.html I love it and it is beautiful, but it's all buckles and there is no way to lock it for flights or travel when it's not with me, to discourage baggage handlers stealing items inside etc.

You could go to a military surplus store and buy an army duffel bag. Those things are cheap, huge, and lockable.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Yeah, what you're looking for is an army surplus duffel. You lock it with a single padlock on one end after folding that end closed and pulling some attached hardware through a grommet. Be aware that if there's something they want in there they will just slice your bag open / bust the lock in the name of airplane security, but I understand that sometimes one feels a need to make an effort.

It's a great minimalist design but the top stuffing access and the size keeps it from being a general travel item for me. Might be great for your needs though.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 24, 2012

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis
Ok, I'm looking for some way to access the internet while I'm travelling (public wifi). What's out there for options, anything I'm not aware of? I'm looking at buying a Kindle or an iPad, anyone travel with one and prefer one or the other? Laptop's not really an issue, have one, weighs 17lbs. Most I do with it is research, make bookings, and misc stuff that comes up when backpacking.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Well what are you planning to do on the internet? You can do a ton of things with a smartphone android/iphone or ipod touch, with the added bonus of being very small. I always take my ipod touch and use it constantly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xenixx posted:

Ok, I'm looking for some way to access the internet while I'm travelling (public wifi). What's out there for options, anything I'm not aware of? I'm looking at buying a Kindle or an iPad, anyone travel with one and prefer one or the other? Laptop's not really an issue, have one, weighs 17lbs. Most I do with it is research, make bookings, and misc stuff that comes up when backpacking.

Where are you going?

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

I also just bring a smartphone but with a slide-out keyboard, they're a bit easier to type longer things on (for most people) than a touch screen so I can still keep up with emails and whatnot. Put it on airplane mode if for some reason you're able to incur roaming charges in other countries. Whenever I've used a tablet, it inevitably comes across the same issues as a smartphone with frustrating or incompatible website formats and not having entirely as much control as a computer, so I just opt for my phone with most things and for the rest I use a public computer or borrow a friend's. Tablets are good for sitting around the house reading the internet on a bigger screen than your phone, watching videos on something bigger than a playing card, etc, but that probably won't be what you care about when traveling.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

I would take smartphone for email/gps/travelpedia and just use some Internet cafes for complicated things, like using not-mobile-optimized web-sites or printing or picture backup. A big USB-stick with some bootable secure OS is also cool thing to have. A notebook is just too big and stupid and valuable for backpacking.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
This thread is incredible. Thanks, Mr. Goats.

I've gleaned a lot from the thread, and from onebag.com, but there's one issue I've come up against in planning for my trip. I'm doing a two week trip with my girlfriend where we'll be hitting Amsterdam, Paris, London, and Edinburgh, averaging about four days in each city. I've fallen in love with the one bag only philosophy, and I just got the Campmor Essential Carry-On. Here's the hitch.

I use a Canon T2i DSLR with one lens (a 28-90 zoom), and I would like to take it with me on the trip since it's my first time out of the country (I live in Nashville), and I'd like to shoot a lot of video as well as stills while I'm there, which this camera is great for. However, I also make my living with it as a filmmaker, and I'd rather it not get stolen. I'd also like to make sure it's packed safely in my bag, and the Campmor bag isn't exactly big on padding, since it maximizes space. I usually use a Pelican case, but it's way too loving heavy for this, and violates the one bag rule.

From reading travel threads I get the idea that my standard camera bag would be tempting to thieves, and that maybe I should take the "cloth shopping bag" route since we'll be walking around for most of our touristy stuff. I also have a neckstrap, and I've thought of investing in a handstrap to avoid attention, but maybe that's worse, or overkill.

Thought I'd bounce this off of you all since the OP doesn't go into a ton of detail, and I didn't want to start a thread in the Dorkroom just for the one question. I considered a point-and-shoot already, and while I love the convenience, I'd rather spend that extra hundred bucks on my trip.

Thanks!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

DammitJanet posted:

From reading travel threads I get the idea that my standard camera bag would be tempting to thieves, and that maybe I should take the "cloth shopping bag" route since we'll be walking around for most of our touristy stuff. I also have a neckstrap, and I've thought of investing in a handstrap to avoid attention, but maybe that's worse, or overkill.

Thanks!

My wife and I brought our DSLR to London, Paris and the south of France in almost the exact same camera bag. Some days I carried it in a day pack, some days she put it in her purse without the bag, and some days I just carried it in that camera bag. We changed it up depending on how much we were going to see and how much we needed to bring with us.

I wouldn't worry about thieves. You should just try to find the balance between comfort and looking like a nerdy tourist (which is almost unavoidable).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you're a real photographer and are going to be bringing genuine photography equipment then you can budge on one bag a bit. I don't have the skill or equipment for that stuff (I bring a Canon whatever100) but if I did I would get a reasonable backpack suitable for carrying my camera around and very little else. One of those canvass things with three round pockets on it that's a little roughed up. Just be flexible with it and nuke it if it isn't working. Don't worry too much about damaging your camera, just make sure you're the one carrying your gear most of the time instead of some luggage ape.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Azzip posted:

So for the UK'ers looking into shoes options, I got a pair of these a couple of weeks ago instore at Schuh for £50.

The styling is kinda trainery, but the front upper part has a formal look to it. When wearing long trousers I reckon they could pass to get into most nightclubs while still having a good grip for general day to day usage. Of course I'm not sure about the long term wear potential on the soles, but in comfort and styling they are definitely a winner in my opinion.

I'm glad you posted these because I've freakishly wide feet and the 3E version of these fit me pretty well. My heel slips a little but otherwise they're pretty comfortable.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010
REI.com is having a sale right now with lots of things mentioned in this thread (smartwool, fleece, adventure pants). Just a heads up if you have too much money in your bank account and want to take care of that.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you're a real photographer and are going to be bringing genuine photography equipment then you can budge on one bag a bit. I don't have the skill or equipment for that stuff (I bring a Canon whatever100) but if I did I would get a reasonable backpack suitable for carrying my camera around and very little else. One of those canvass things with three round pockets on it that's a little roughed up. Just be flexible with it and nuke it if it isn't working. Don't worry too much about damaging your camera, just make sure you're the one carrying your gear most of the time instead of some luggage ape.

Gotcha, thanks. I'll always be the one handling my gear. Hopefully I'll find something small and padded enough for my needs that also looks lovely on the outside. :)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I used cheap beer koozie as my lens protector when I went to Korea. I also carried them in my backpack as well. Never had a problem with damage or anything like that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DammitJanet posted:

This thread is incredible. Thanks, Mr. Goats.

I've gleaned a lot from the thread, and from onebag.com, but there's one issue I've come up against in planning for my trip. I'm doing a two week trip with my girlfriend where we'll be hitting Amsterdam, Paris, London, and Edinburgh, averaging about four days in each city. I've fallen in love with the one bag only philosophy, and I just got the Campmor Essential Carry-On. Here's the hitch.

I use a Canon T2i DSLR with one lens (a 28-90 zoom), and I would like to take it with me on the trip since it's my first time out of the country (I live in Nashville)

First of all, I hope you have a fun and safe trip! And greetings to another dorkroom goon :hfive:

It's your first time traveling, and yes it's exciting and also a bit nervous no? I wouldn't worry about your gear being stolen, or robbed. If you stay smart, stay sharp, stay with your girlfriend, and don't go to sketchy areas. Nashville is state capital so it's considered as a city right? So apply your usual city smarts and you should be perfectly fine. Even if you look like amazing race adventure couple. That might even make you a lesser target :downsrim:

Bags wise or what not, I personally don't think you need to go crazy cloth bag or whatever hardcore option these guys are doing. I wouldn't take the lowepro because I'm a crumpler and kata fan boy. It's ok to bulk up a little and depending on your itinerary if you go straight to your hostel/hotel after arriving each destination, lugging the pelican would look *PRO*. But I think the best compromise is to fit a smaller camera bag/day bag like a 5 million dollar into your main bag. And a gorilla pod with some filters to go.

And SLRs are getting common nowadays, still a target for theft for what not, but it doesn't scream money like the days before. You probably will see other gearheads looking down on your entry level stuff :haw:

I'm not sure when you are going so make sure you are packing the right clothes. If your girlfriend doesn't mind, you can put more stuff into her bag. And get insurance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DammitJanet posted:

Gotcha, thanks. I'll always be the one handling my gear. Hopefully I'll find something small and padded enough for my needs that also looks lovely on the outside. :)

Remember that you can make a bag look beaten and worthless pretty easily after you buy it, while still keeping the inside in good shape.

• Locked thread