Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

What Fun posted:

Sorry, forgot to post an update, it seems that the only thing standing between me and success was that I really did have to disable UAC in Windows. Not for the installation, not to start the game, but to reliably access outdoor areas. It makes no sense to me, but my fault for ignoring the OP.

Yeah, the reason for this is that when you start up Morrowind--however you start it up--it immediately executes several other files, including MWSE and MGE / MGE-XE. Windows Vista and 7 don't like it when an executable starts up several other executables without explicit permission. If you don't give it this permission, you'll have problems with getting MGE to function correctly (as you have seen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure how MGSO handles this, but when (if) you were generating distant land, did you have an option of setting Distant Mesh detail? It looks like the detail for distant tree meshes is being rendered at like 10%.

Hm, I settled for a different solution and just installed Morroblivion. Runs great and looks great :)

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

What Fun posted:

The totally separate issue I'm having is that my character feels really slow...

There's two main ways to deal with that (and many minor ones). Take your pick.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Musical_Daredevil posted:

There's two main ways to deal with that (and many minor ones). Take your pick.

My personal preference is the AllSpeeds mod.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Looks like Kingpix is back!

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors…

Also, here's a good example of what not to do for a first/"inexperienced" project.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 25, 2012

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

What a loving moron

I've seen some stupid and overly ambitious mod ideas but this takes the cake

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

Dice Dice Baby posted:

What a loving moron

I've seen some stupid and overly ambitious mod ideas but this takes the cake

That Dude posted:

MorroRim is going to consume a lot of my time (Guy with Asperger's here!), so I probably won't have enough time to work on SHoTN for too long.

Here's your answer

EDIT: Also, is it worth using Connary Textures with the latest MGSO, or should I just stick with what's included?

cancelope fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 29, 2012

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
I am playing Morrowind again with the MSGO and loving it. In some ways I am having more fun than Skyrim.

I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I am looking a a particular shop in Vivec. The vendor is Argonian and he sells high end apparel. I cam across him on my first visit to Vivec but can't find him again. I think he was in one of the lower levels but no idea which canton. Not sure if he is original game content or not. I have searched but am missing him some how.

Anyone have any idea what I am going on about?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I see the OP of this thread isn't that old, but just for reassurance-- as someone who's never played Morrowind before, is that the most current set of directions for getting the game up, running, and not looking like rear end?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

asaf posted:

is it worth using Connary Textures with the latest MGSO, or should I just stick with what's included?

I use Connary Textures, but that's just because I don't like the ones that come with MSGO at all. Do keep in mind that which one to use is completely based your personal preference.

isoprenaline posted:

I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I am looking a a particular shop in Vivec. The vendor is Argonian and he sells high end apparel. I cam across him on my first visit to Vivec but can't find him again. I think he was in one of the lower levels but no idea which canton. Not sure if he is original game content or not. I have searched but am missing him some how.

Anyone have any idea what I am going on about?

The closest I can find is Miun Gei (which isn't close at all). It's possible that the merchant was added by a mod you don't have active currently.

neongrey posted:

I see the OP of this thread isn't that old, but just for reassurance-- as someone who's never played Morrowind before, is that the most current set of directions for getting the game up, running, and not looking like rear end?

Yep, updated only a few days ago.

Actually, that reminds me, I should probably check to see if Hrmchand's done any more patches.

Edit: Oh god, that thread just got a lot more bizarre. :stare:

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 1, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Yep, updated only a few days ago.

Cool, cool. I figured so, but with such an old game that I have zero familiarity with, I wanted to be sure. I missed when it was on special but I nabbed it at a discount with an about-to-expire coupon.

I don't know that I'm done with Skyrim yet, but everything I've heard of this game makes me want to give it a go.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

neongrey posted:

Cool, cool. I figured so, but with such an old game that I have zero familiarity with, I wanted to be sure. I missed when it was on special but I nabbed it at a discount with an about-to-expire coupon.

I don't know that I'm done with Skyrim yet, but everything I've heard of this game makes me want to give it a go.

It's probably obvious, but it bears repeating: Morrowind and Skyrim are very different games. Morrowind is cut from an old cloth, and newcomers can find themselves turned off to it early on. You move slow, combat is lame, and there isn't a compass telling you where to go. But if you stick to it and get over the humbling experience that is the first few hours of the game, you might find that--with updated graphics and some tweaks--it's got a lot on its successors, Oblivion and Skyrim.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Tufty posted:

My personal preference is the AllSpeeds mod.

Hey, this is just what I was looking for. Thank you! It works seamlessly with the Overhaul.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bummed that my desktop computer gaming rig died recently because I wanted to revisit Vvardenfell with some mods thrown in.

What's the word on Tamriel Rebuilt? I haven't kept up on them and as soon as I sort out a new gaming rig I'd like to try and get that up and running.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I recently manually installed over 100 mods after about a 7 year break from playing vanilla Morrowind. All I can say is "Holy poo poo!", this is by far the best RPG I've ever played. The atmosphere is unparalleled, especially at night with the graphic enhancements. It feels like a whole new game.

From trodding through dense foliage to hearing the ear piercing screech of an attacking bat in the middle of pitch black darkness made me almost jump out of my chair. The thing is flapping around like crazy, eating the fireflies around me for health as it chases me across the land. I desperately try to fling arrows at it and eventually give up and whack it to death with my shortsword and breathe a sigh of relief until the next crazy encounter inevitably meets me on my travels. The NPCs, creatures, and environments come to life with MGEXE's draw distance, lighting effects, huge vegetation/foliage/ground cover mods, and thousands of new textures/meshes. Not to mention stuff like Tamriel Reborn in addition to the insane amount of adventures already to be had on vvardenfel.

It might be a bit of work (less so with stuff like MSGO), but modded Morrowind is a must-play for any RPG or Adventure fan.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Raxmus posted:

So I recently manually installed over 100 mods after about a 7 year break from playing vanilla Morrowind. All I can say is "Holy poo poo!", this is by far the best RPG I've ever played. The atmosphere is unparalleled, especially at night with the graphic enhancements. It feels like a whole new game.

From trodding through dense foliage to hearing the ear piercing screech of an attacking bat in the middle of pitch black darkness made me almost jump out of my chair. The thing is flapping around like crazy, eating the fireflies around me for health as it chases me across the land. I desperately try to fling arrows at it and eventually give up and whack it to death with my shortsword and breathe a sigh of relief until the next crazy encounter inevitably meets me on my travels. The NPCs, creatures, and environments come to life with MGEXE's draw distance, lighting effects, huge vegetation/foliage/ground cover mods, and thousands of new textures/meshes. Not to mention stuff like Tamriel Reborn in addition to the insane amount of adventures already to be had on vvardenfel.

It might be a bit of work (less so with stuff like MSGO), but modded Morrowind is a must-play for any RPG or Adventure fan.

Glad you've gotten it working and are enjoying it. :cheers:

It's funny, but Morrowind is honestly one of those games I find myself coming back to again and again. Regardless of how many times I've played it, it's just an incredible experience every time. I'm not even sure why I enjoy it so much. The modifiability of it definitely plays a role--especially for bringing the graphics into 2012--but there's something about the core atmosphere of the game that few games have been able to challenge.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Glad you've gotten it working and are enjoying it. :cheers:

It's funny, but Morrowind is honestly one of those games I find myself coming back to again and again. Regardless of how many times I've played it, it's just an incredible experience every time. I'm not even sure why I enjoy it so much. The modifiability of it definitely plays a role--especially for bringing the graphics into 2012--but there's something about the core atmosphere of the game that few games have been able to challenge.

It's now... 4:37 AM and I haven't stopped playing. Every single time I boot it up I know some absolutely in-depth crazy adventure awaits me like a gigantic animated corpse that decides to reduce my strength to 0 and I have to figure out some crazy way of taking off all my gear, running back to town naked, praying to an altar to get it off me, and hauling rear end back to a tomb to get all my stuff back. There and back I find about 7 NPCs who want my help with something and 20 other things to explore while being chased by at least one to many cliff racers.

Also I'm desperately searching for a Morrowind video on youtube that used the first track in this video (Music To Drive By Oscar Brandenberg):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMR7oEu9-4

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Raxmus posted:

It's now... 4:37 AM and I haven't stopped playing. Every single time I boot it up I know some absolutely in-depth crazy adventure awaits me like a gigantic animated corpse that decides to reduce my strength to 0 and I have to figure out some crazy way of taking off all my gear, running back to town naked, praying to an altar to get it off me, and hauling rear end back to a tomb to get all my stuff back. There and back I find about 7 NPCs who want my help with something and 20 other things to explore while being chased by at least one to many cliff racers.

Also I'm desperately searching for a Morrowind video on youtube that used the first track in this video (Music To Drive By Oscar Brandenberg):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMR7oEu9-4

I didn't find the video you were looking for but I did find this gem.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't find the video you were looking for but I did find this gem.

Truly the modding community have only enhanced the lore of TES, paying close attention to not stray from the canon.

Also found it :dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLTQzmZBCc

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In my infinite adventures of playing around with graphics I made an amateur panorama of Vvardenfel, Solstheim, and the parts of Tamriel that have been modded in thus far.

Looks like imgur compressed the 8 MB PNG file, if you want the super high quality version for some reason let me know:
http://i.imgur.com/UOV9J.jpg

Yes, that is a game from 2002, can you believe it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Raxmus posted:

In my infinite adventures of playing around with graphics I made an amateur panorama of Vvardenfel, Solstheim, and the parts of Tamriel that have been modded in thus far.

Looks like imgur compressed the 8 MB PNG file, if you want the super high quality version for some reason let me know:

Yes, that is a game from 2002, can you believe it?

So what draw distance do you normally play at, and how hard did it kick your PC in the balls to get those screenshots?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Raxmus posted:

Yeah, Imgur LOVES compressing files terribly, even ones far below the upload limit.

One thing Morrowind does incredibly well is it gives you the ability to travel out to the middle of nowhere and explore, something that very few other games have done as effectively as far as I've seen. I used to get really creeped out while exploring, not knowing whether the next hill is hiding 3 Cliff Racers or the next corner is hiding a Bonewalker (seriously, gently caress those things). Even later Bethesda games don't give you the same sense of wilderness, since Bethesda's current philosophy is to fill the map up with as many ruins/houses/shrines as possible.

Adding LOD to the game was a bittersweet tradeoff, since it definitely increased the graphic quality, but at the same time made everything seem so much smaller and closer together. Arkngthand used to seem so much further away from Balmora, but now it's just on top of the hill right next to it. The Ahemmusa camp isn't an adventure, it's only a field away from Tel Vos. But check out that water shader!

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So what draw distance do you normally play at, and how hard did it kick your PC in the balls to get those screenshots?

Here are the settings I took the screenshots at,

and the settings I normally play at,

When facing toward TR the FPS is rather unplayable under the first set of settings, and that is mainly because all the statics and not just terrain are being rendered for a large amount of cells. If it was just terrain it would be far less of an issue. The second set of settings certainly isn't 60 FPS constant but it's around 40 which is playable for me.

System specs:

Yeah, Imgur LOVES compressing files terribly, even ones far below the upload limit.

One thing Morrowind does incredibly well....

Thankfully even with the LoD up with the advanced lighting at night stuff in dungeons and outside definitely creeps up on you without seeing it. All too frequently I will run for a while and pick up about 6 cliff racers and some other mobs. Or I'll be in a dungeon and not able to see very far in front with just my torch out. It creates an unparalleled atmosphere and suspense in any ruin or tomb. Arknngthand is probably the most pronounced example of where LOD makes somewhere that seemed like a huge adventure to get to on the Xbox turn into a trivial trip.

Also if you haven't played through the game with Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins you're missing out on some of the best dungeon content any TES game has ever seen.

I haven't touched Oblivion or Skyrim yet and I'm hoping that with mods they can be at least somewhere close to Morrowind in terms of immersion, atmosphere, dungeon design, content, and exploration.

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 4, 2012

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Edit: Fixed my resolution problem, but now when I try to make a character the screen is black after the intro movie. I can see subtitles and hear the opening dialogue, but it's black beyond that.

Revener fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 5, 2012

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Revener posted:

Edit: Fixed my resolution problem, but now when I try to make a character the screen is black after the intro movie. I can see subtitles and hear the opening dialogue, but it's black beyond that.

Did you skip the opening cutscene at all? The same thing happens to me if I do.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Here's an important bit of news from Planetelderscrolls:

quote:

starting on May 1, the following will happen:

1. I will no longer personally approve content. This means new content may, or may not be, approved. I’ll try to find people who are willing to take over, but I cannot guarantee that new content will timely appear on the site.
2. Large files will no longer be added by me. Our large files upload procedure involved me manually adding them to entries. I will either try to find someone else to do this, or you can choose to upload your file to Fileplanet and edit your entry with a link to Fileplanet.

More info here: http://planetelderscrolls.ign.com/articles/news/9051/Planet-Elder-Scrolls-is-looking-for-your-help

Files will continue to stay on the site and can be updated, but no new mods, especially big ones, can be uploaded. Based on the announcement, the site itself won't be going anywhere, but it would be a good idea to watch it just in case.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Here's an important bit of news from Planetelderscrolls:

More info here: http://planetelderscrolls.ign.com/articles/news/9051/Planet-Elder-Scrolls-is-looking-for-your-help

Files will continue to stay on the site and can be updated, but no new mods, especially big ones, can be uploaded. Based on the announcement, the site itself won't be going anywhere, but it would be a good idea to watch it just in case.

The rumor mill speculates TESNexus is going to split into 3 different sites for each game and hopefully will see reuploads of most of the major Morrowind mods. That said I would agree that it would be a good time to grab any mods you want now because the nexus is famous for reducing the overall availability of mods and being disliked by some modders.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wonder if it would be worthwhile trying to mirror the site as soon as possible.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I am running Morrowind on my laptop while I save up to replace my desktop but I am having some serious gameplay interrupting problems in doing so. I need a little help troubleshooting.

Firstly -
When I boot up the game I get these errors: (this is without any mods, just Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon loaded)

Warning
Failed to create shader Shaders\FauxEMBM_Displace.vso

Continue running executable? Cancel is "Yes to All."
(Cancelling stops the program)

Warning
Unable to load vertexshader file: FauxEMBM_Displace.vso

Secondly - (possibly related to the above?)
The water textures look very wrong, and sometimes bodies of water will flash white at a near seizure inducing rate. Some doors will also flash white.
This appears to have been fixed by changing the game's resolution.

Thirdly - (Maybe still related?)
I can save the game, but whenever I rest and the game wants to auto-save I get more errors.

The program lags for about thirty seconds or more and I get the following:

Unable to complete operation due to failure removing previous file.
Temp file remains.
Continue running executable?

~Then after pressing yes~

CreateTES failed for file 'autosave.ess'. Save aborted.

~Then after pressing yes again,~

An error was encountered while saving the game.
[OK]

There will be no autosave file, only any regular save files.
Resting also won't go to the level up menu when I've got enough experience.

If it helps my laptop is a Dell Latitude D620. I have Vista installed but I run Morrowind in compatibility mode as Windows 2000 and I have gotten the same errors with running as Windows XP. Running Morrowind in Vista will not start the game. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide that might help these issues. I appreciate any input.

edit: Running the game at 1024x768 resolution takes care of the water and door issues. But I'm still left with the first and third issues I mentioned.

frogge fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 9, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

bobthedinosaur posted:

Firstly -
When I boot up the game I get these errors: (this is without any mods, just Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon loaded)

Warning
Failed to create shader Shaders\FauxEMBM_Displace.vso

Warning
Unable to load vertexshader file: FauxEMBM_Displace.vso

Are you playing with a Steam or a CD version? If it's a Steam version, verify the integrity of your file cache and see if it has to replace anything. Perhaps something has gone missing / corrupted.

Beyond the warnings at boot-up (something that is very common with Morrowind, especially once you start modding) does this seem to affect the game? If not, I guess don't worry about it. I've had plenty of warnings pop-up at boot-up that I just ignore my way through.

quote:

Thirdly - (Maybe still related?)
I can save the game, but whenever I rest and the game wants to auto-save I get more errors.

The program lags for about thirty seconds or more and I get the following:

Unable to complete operation due to failure removing previous file.
Temp file remains.

~Then after pressing yes~

CreateTES failed for file 'autosave.ess'. Save aborted.

~Then after pressing yes again,~

An error was encountered while saving the game.
[OK]

There will be no autosave file, only any regular save files.
Resting also won't go to the level up menu when I've got enough experience.

If it helps my laptop is a Dell Latitude D620. I have Vista installed but I run Morrowind in compatibility mode as Windows 2000 and I have gotten the same errors with running as Windows XP. Running Morrowind in Vista will not start the game. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide that might help these issues. I appreciate any input.

edit: Running the game at 1024x768 resolution takes care of the water and door issues. But I'm still left with the first and third issues I mentioned.

It sort of sounds like your PC is having trouble with permissions when it tries to copy / add / remove saves in the background. Possibly try running Morrowind with Administrator Privileges. If you're running with MWSE + MGE or MGE-XE, give all of those executables Admin rights, too, just to be safe. Morrowind existed in a time before UAC, so it doesn't always get along with it.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

bobthedinosaur posted:

I'm bummed that my desktop computer gaming rig died recently because I wanted to revisit Vvardenfell with some mods thrown in.

What's the word on Tamriel Rebuilt? I haven't kept up on them and as soon as I sort out a new gaming rig I'd like to try and get that up and running.

If you have a crappy laptop you can play the game alright as long as you dont install and kind of high resolution graphics stuff. I'm currently playing on an old rear end Toshiba Satellite laptop and with the FPS optimiser it runs playably enough as long as I dont try to install MGE or texture mods or whatever, though I have a ton of non graphics mods installed.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Morrowind existed in a time before UAC, so it doesn't always get along with it.

This is mostly likely the issue. UAC hates bethesda games when you putz around with modding them much. You can disable it by using the RUN command in the start menu and opening MSCONFIG. Theres an option on one of the tabs to disable it, and if you are worried about security you can re-enable it through the same menu.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It sort of sounds like your PC is having trouble with permissions when it tries to copy / add / remove saves in the background. Possibly try running Morrowind with Administrator Privileges. If you're running with MWSE + MGE or MGE-XE, give all of those executables Admin rights, too, just to be safe. Morrowind existed in a time before UAC, so it doesn't always get along with it.

I'm playing on a CD version of the game and having it run with Admin privileges dealt with the auto-save issues.

I'm getting issues with the water again, but at least the game's playable enough now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

bobthedinosaur posted:

I'm playing on a CD version of the game and having it run with Admin privileges dealt with the auto-save issues.

I'm getting issues with the water again, but at least the game's playable enough now.

Are you running the game with anything else besides the official DLC? MWSE, MGE, etc? Do you have a CCC / Nvidia Control Panel / Nvidia Inspector in the tray that is forcing any custom settings? Perhaps there's a conflict between AF settings and the pixel shader for water textures. I know from personal experience that forcing AA or AF in a game that wasn't meant to use it can cause some wonky effects.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Can you post your system specs, bobthedinosaur (especially your video card)?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Sure thing:
I have an Intel processor. "T2400 @ 1.83 GHz"
3GB of RAM
This is a 32-Bit OS

I'm having a hell of a time finding my video card info. I'm in the device manager and still can't find anything.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Do we have a list fo the best content mods? I'm loathe to trust rankings on any elder scrolls portal. Quests and dungeons preferably.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Kea posted:

Do we have a list fo the best content mods? I'm loathe to trust rankings on any elder scrolls portal. Quests and dungeons preferably.

http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html

Here's one that was in the OP, quests/dungeons are about halfway down the page.

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm
Another list of mods.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So it seems like somethings wrong with the Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mods Compilation torrent. I can't connect to ANY of the peers on it for some reason, it worked fine on friday and I wasn't home yesterday if that matters.

Every connection just keeps timing out.I'm now getting the occasional connection that doesn't time out but slow speeds overall due to having all of 1 peer for usually less then half an hour.

Anyone else having this problem? Other torrents work fine.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone have any alternate links for the MegaUpload stuff since MegaUpload is now officially dead?